Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am not at all a computer person but there is not a "feature" of Windows 10 that I wouldn't trade for a modernized XP.

Basic poo poo like the control panel or the C drive or loving file explorer is hidden behind 10 interfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Some people cannot find anything unless someone bookmarks it for them in explorer. That's a pet peeve in and of itself.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

"I cant find my email on google".

Suffice to say my mom is not very tech savvy. Not a lot of fun to help her, get blamed for every problem she makes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My mom isn't very tech savvy either, so I get it. It's often a frustrating experience, but if she starts trying to tell me that something wrong is my fault from a prior fix it job, I'll lay out out for her; either I'll keep helping her, or she can try to blame me again and then she's on her own.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I stopped trying to teach my parents how to use their computers a long time ago. My dad still opens up yahoo.com to search for google to search for something else. Yeah it's dumb but the only way to deal with stubborn people sometimes is let them do things their way. If you try to correct them they'll just start a "oh so you think you're smarter than me do you?" rant.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I stopped trying to teach my parents how to use their computers a long time ago. My dad still opens up yahoo.com to search for google to search for something else. Yeah it's dumb but the only way to deal with stubborn people sometimes is let them do things their way. If you try to correct them they'll just start a "oh so you think you're smarter than me do you?" rant.

I've learned just to say "clearly you think I am otherwise why are you asking me to fix this for you?" It ends one of two ways: either they tell me to gently caress off or they shut up and let me help them. Either way the argument is over.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My mum is a very smart lady and works with computers every day but a nightmare with anything tech related because she's so used to just knowing what buttons to hit in work that she doesn't read screens.

"Ok now go into the menu and find your options"
"Where is that?"
"The button that says MENU right there"
"Where are the options"
"The button that says options, right there"
"Now what?"
"Well you wanted to change your password so maybe the button that says Change Password would be a start?????"

Repeat forever or until I grab the loving iPad and just do it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

teenytinymouse posted:

My mum is a very smart lady and works with computers every day but a nightmare with anything tech related because she's so used to just knowing what buttons to hit in work that she doesn't read screens.

"Ok now go into the menu and find your options"
"Where is that?"
"The button that says MENU right there"
"Where are the options"
"The button that says options, right there"
"Now what?"
"Well you wanted to change your password so maybe the button that says Change Password would be a start?????"

Repeat forever or until I grab the loving iPad and just do it

People who memorise the way to do specific tasks like as though they're magic rituals are always the worst, because if they want to do something even slightly different then they're just completely back to square one. If you know why you're doing the things you're doing then it's usually pretty easy to figure out how to do other stuff. If you just rote memorised a series of actions that gets you the result you want without bothering to find out why those actions are necessary or what they do then you've learned nothing and are completely lost as soon as even one thing doesn't go as expected.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My mom also doesn't read screens. Except when I ask her to, and then she reads everything.

"Okay, something should have happened there, what does it say on the screen now?"
"It says Document 1 Microsoft Word, and then there are three weird boxes with symbols, next line it says File, Home, Insert..."

I walked my parents through one last thing over the phone, and that was installing TeamViewer. Worth it for being able to just see what they do now while I give instructions, and to take control when stuff gets too complex.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I listened to a song today that I first heard (and listened to over and over) a year ago, for the first time since then. It brought me mentally right back to where I was at that point in time, as sensory association is known to do.
I remembered the smoke in the sky from the forest fires burning here in BC, I remembered the failures and successes I had, I even remembered exactly which book I was reading. It all just came flooding back.
The peeve in all of this how the past can be so vivid, but I CAN'T SEE THE loving FUTURE drat IT.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who buy giant packs of single use water bottles. Unless your water is pure acid, there’s no reason you can’t spend $10 on a reusable one and $20 on a water filter (Brita etc). Even if the filters themselves can be pricey, a) there now are generics and b) you’re still paying less than buying giant packs of water all the time. Also I hate these people for polluting the earth because 99% of them are not recycling them. I know people who buy them and they don’t recycle even though there’s a huge recycle bin in the alley behind their house, right next to the trash bin.

E: you guys with angry tech un-savvy parents make me happy about my mom because she is always excited to learn and gets stuff really quick; and if she doesn’t pick it up right away, she listens while I explain it again. Maybe also cause I am ridiculously patient and nice cause I had to teach old people and retarded rear end in a top hat customers so I have the patience of a saint... but in any case it’s really good that she is very excited about learning computer stuff :3:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 01:28 on May 1, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thin Privilege posted:

People who buy giant packs of single use water bottles. Unless your water is pure acid, there’s no reason you can’t spend $10 on a reusable one and $20 on a water filter (Brita etc). Even if the filters themselves can be pricey, a) there now are generics and b) you’re still paying less than buying giant packs of water all the time. Also I hate these people for polluting the earth because 99% of them are not recycling them. I know people who buy them and they don’t recycle even though there’s a huge recycle bin in the alley behind their house, right next to the trash bin.

My mother-in-law does this. She at least takes them to the appropriate recycling center, but there's just no need for the massive bottlage. Also, the visual and auditory clutter of crinkly plastic bottles drives me nuts. Then there's always the one dipshit that crinkles their bottle on purpose.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Come to Iowa, where the tap water clogs up a pitcher filter in a couple of days and still smells like ammonia after you filter it.

The giant packs of tiny bottles are definitely silly, though. Gallon jugs are cheaper, a lot less wasteful, and way easier to carry home.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

No.

I guess a peeve of mine is the low but significant level of anxiety I've been feeling lately. Everything is nominally fine, but I constantly have the sense that any one aspect of my life could spiral into definitely-not-fine-at-all, without any warning.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Problem: I was too hot to sleep earlier, and now that I'm not too hot I can't get comfortable. So: my peeve is insomnia.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

walrusman posted:

I guess a peeve of mine is the low but significant level of anxiety I've been feeling lately. Everything is nominally fine, but I constantly have the sense that any one aspect of my life could spiral into definitely-not-fine-at-all, without any warning.

Relatable as all gently caress.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

walrusman posted:

Same boat here...
:smith: :respek: :smith:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That's called "the economy is rigged and only the 1% have any liberties"

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Come to Iowa, where the tap water clogs up a pitcher filter in a couple of days and still smells like ammonia after you filter it.

The giant packs of tiny bottles are definitely silly, though. Gallon jugs are cheaper, a lot less wasteful, and way easier to carry home.

Same here. The water quality is slightly better than Flint, MI, so I drink bottled water. Bottles are more convenient than buying a gallon jug and pouring it into a glass. I can take my water bottles with me to work, the gym, etc. And buying a case is cheaper than spending $1.29 for a single bottle.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I have literal mold and rust and sometimes ecoli coming out of my faucets and even then I still drink it when I’m too lazy to get the Brita out the fridge and I’m still ok so...

MightyJoe36 posted:

Same here. The water quality is slightly better than Flint, MI, so I drink bottled water. Bottles are more convenient than buying a gallon jug and pouring it into a glass. I can take my water bottles with me to work, the gym, etc. And buying a case is cheaper than spending $1.29 for a single bottle.

Do you put the empty bottle in the recycling?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

I have literal mold and rust and sometimes ecoli coming out of my faucets and even then I still drink it when I’m too lazy to get the Brita out the fridge and I’m still ok so...

Do you put the empty bottle in the recycling?

When one is available, yes.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone who is just being rude/a oval office and then try to pretend they care about you or fall back on "I'm just being honest" when called out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRgW8VYp8Vo

Midig has a new favorite as of 16:11 on May 1, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The recycling services in Kingston, ON are so arbitrary and strict that combined with the population of soldiers, students, and hippies that don’t give a gently caress, they result in more damage than just having unlimited garbage service. Everything between Portsmouth and the 401 except for the touristy downtown that needs to be cleaned for photo ops is just blanketed in plastic and cardboard because people are not going to resort/wash their old rejected recycling. It just sits out there and blows around.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My pet peeve is that I had something really good to post in this thread that I thought of while driving earlier, and now I can't remember what it was and it's pissing me off.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Double postin because I remembered the thing.

It's automatic car windows. I want to open my window 2 inches to just let a little air in. But then my car decides that means I want to open the window ALL the way. So I stop it and try to get it to go up a bit to where I want. Where it then decides that I must want the window completely closed. Getting the window to be partially open where I want is infuriatingly difficult.

I have scoured my owners manual and can find no way to turn this behavior off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In my experience, Iowa water isn’t necessarily bad, but it’s HARD. pH 8.1+ hard. Liquid rock. Mineral deposits everywhere.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
People not remembering your work schedule despite you telling them a billion times what it is. Yeah I don’t work 9-5 but I’ve worked these exact specific hours for 3+ months now and I tell you multiple times a week which days I work and at what time so why don’t you remember???? I also only work 4 days a week so this isn’t difficult to remember.

Related; bosses who take poo poo personally. You’re at a job, if someone screws up, you tell them and/or reprimand them instead of acting like a 10 year old girl whose friend just changed social groups. Be a professional manager, rear end in a top hat.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone saying "This is not the moment to make a debate about this" when it actually is. Example, all shootings ever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Star Wars Day. "May the 4th be with you" is mildly amusing the first time you hear it, and less so each successive time. But for whatever reason it really seems to have taken off this year so I've had several groups I'm part of holding events or posting to Facebook about it, I've heard about it on at last two different radio stations (including Classic FM), and it's just generally been everywhere I look for the last week or more. Even people who really like Star Wars must be sick of it by now, surely?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Star Wars Day. "May the 4th be with you" is mildly amusing the first time you hear it, and less so each successive time. But for whatever reason it really seems to have taken off this year so I've had several groups I'm part of holding events or posting to Facebook about it, I've heard about it on at last two different radio stations (including Classic FM), and it's just generally been everywhere I look for the last week or more. Even people who really like Star Wars must be sick of it by now, surely?

See also: The 5th of November, it’s October 3rd, whenever Harry Potter’s birthday is

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also 4/20.

(The standard disclaimer: I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE USING WEED AND THINK IT SHOULD BE LEGAL AND ALSO I NEITHER WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT OR SMELL IT).

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
The joke about how weed should be legal, but being a stoner should be punishable by death.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stoned to death.

Nah, I'm ok with stoners, some of them make awesome music.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Henchman of Santa posted:

See also: The 5th of November, it’s October 3rd, whenever Harry Potter’s birthday is

My least favorite is Pi Day. We get it already, you loving Love Science.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My least favorite is Pi Day. We get it already, you loving Love Science.

22nd of July is more accurate than the March 14th anyway.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

None of you better have a bad word to say about Earth Wind & Fire Day (21 September)

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Tiggum posted:

Ugh, I agree completely. I think the Star Wars one might be worse this year because there is the Han Solo movie coming out later this month so there is bigger hype than usual for Star Wars this year.
I have a degree in math so on Pi Day I have all sorts of old college friends and even my mom that send me "Happy Pi Day" messages because they think I actually give a poo poo about it. (I don't and please stop.)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I like people constantly saying May the 4th be with you, because it reminds me that my sister's birthday is coming up. Hers being the only one in my family that I can remember just because of a pop culture reference is a peeve I suppose.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm just a grumpy old who finally got sick of Star Wars, so yeah, I'm cranky about May 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just a grumpy old who finally got sick of Star Wars, so yeah, I'm cranky about May 4

:same: I'm avoiding Facebook today for this reason.