Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ShaneMBailey/status/989534335526195203

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Black Panther has the most adorable lil' ears! I totally wanna give him tummy scritches.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ecavalli posted:

Black Panther has the most adorable lil' ears! I totally wanna give him tummy scritches.
Those seem like... familiar ears.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Welcome to the gun show!"
"Kyle, that's supposed to mean your biceps, not your... y'know."
"Who cares? Geez, you guys are prudes. I thought only Alan Scott had the weakness to wood."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
How many packs a day of a smoking habit is the willpower being exerted for that is what I want to know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Noooooooooo.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm trying to find a Batman page where a bystander says oh my god the joker whips around and says "where?" Anyone have it? My google fu isn't working.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

:manning:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That face looks way better than the one on the first cover.

I petition to add Frank's name to the thread title.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I said a while back Frank Miller has just been making Sin City over and over for years. Somehow this twist is worse than that.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I'm literally laughing so hard that it hurts. Holy poo poo.

Looking at it I can just hear the long, drawn out "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" to go with those bugged out eyes.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
"What is that man doing to his anus!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm literally laughing so hard that it hurts. Holy poo poo.

Looking at it I can just hear the long, drawn out "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" to go with those bugged out eyes.

I love that it looks like a floating decapitated head that's reaaaaal interested in whatever's down there

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
XERXES (steps on a lego)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
those are some ms paint tier teeth there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha holy poo poo

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yuup my first thought as well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is definitely a repost, but Miller's modern work, as degraded as it is, would be a LOT better with a colorist that matches his style: https://harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it

Apparently he's just not interested in that, though. He seems to be in in love with the modern look with tons of gradients, and it does NOT compliment his work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For some reason I thought his wife did his colouring.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He's married!?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

His ex-wife Lynn Varley has colored a lot of his work, and continued to do so after their divorce. This is not colored by her, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is definitely a repost, but Miller's modern work, as degraded as it is, would be a LOT better with a colorist that matches his style: https://harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it

No recoloring can save that artwork.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the overly-computer gradient coloring actually matches Miller's style better, because both of them are very bad

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nice article by a guy sucking his own dick there. Yes, the computer colouring looks bad. But even coloured by hand, most of that art looks bad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alhazred posted:

No recoloring can save that artwork.

Oh agreed. It's just ruined all the more by the awful coloring. That artist at least showed a way his work can be partially salvaged by treating it like a piece of pop art. Flat coloring works so much better with Miller's style - always has, his best work is his solo B&W stuff.

Like, Miller made garbage, and the colorist just dunks it in the can.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just stop colouring it. Tell everyone that it's an artistic decision to return to his roots.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the author is on the right track, but he doesn't go quite far enough. Miller really wants his whites to stand out. He's well known for being uncomfortable with coloured work.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought DK3 looked pretty good. Miller’s weird style has grown on me over the years. It’s obviously a completely different look but I’m reminded a lot of how Kirby would draw weirdly exaggerated bodies in his later (and better) years.

I remember thinking DK2 looked terrible when I read it. I’ll have to reread that one to see if I feel the same way now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Miller didn't draw DK3.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Miller didn't draw DK3.

He drew the one shots, and a bunch of the covers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what you're saying is he didn't draw DK3.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's funny, in 1990 Kyle Baker did a few Dick Tracy tie-in comics that felt like a conscious attempt to adapt some of Miller's Dark Knight tricks, but contemporary Miller has a lot of Baker-style sketchiness and elasticity, so that this 28 year old comic looks uncannily similar to 2018 Miller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Weird faces, excessive boobage.