Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Nebula and Gamora are some of my favorite parts of GOTG2.

Yeah, I thought they were really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Can someone explain to me why people care about this character? I just don't "get" her deal. She seems like Superman or Wonder woman but infinitely more boring without any of the stuff that makes those characters interesting.

Also it seems like anything ever posted about her is comics panels showcasing why her writers are terrible and have done her a disservice

I can't speak to why people like Captain Marvel the character because I've never read a comic book about her, but I can argue for why I'm excited for this film.

A) Brie Larson is good in everything, and I'm glad she's got a big budget super-hero film to headline because she has an innate charisma that would be well served in such a venue.
B) I'm excited by a period nineties film, because the nineties seems to be the last decade that has had a clearly defined cultural feel in regards to fashion, music etc before the internet came along and made everything post 2000 feel less defined in that way (not a bad thing, just an observation).
C) The post-credits scene was very good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Can someone explain to me why people care about this character? I just don't "get" her deal. She seems like Superman or Wonder woman but infinitely more boring without any of the stuff that makes those characters interesting.

Also it seems like anything ever posted about her is comics panels showcasing why her writers are terrible and have done her a disservice

Marvel decided to turn her from Miss Marvel into Captain Marvel and give her a huge push as a big player in the MCU. More major female representation in their comics, which is a good thing, y'know?

Unfortunately they forgot to really give her any good writers or anything, so (from my understanding at least, I haven't read a lot of her stuff) most of her appearances in the comics has done just what you said and been a terrible disservice to her. Her role in Civil War II made her so incredibly unlikable it's not even funny.

I'm cautiously looking forward to her movie though. The MCU has gone in a long way in making me care about characters I don't otherwise give two shits about, so I'm hoping (and expecting, honestly) that her movie fixes her issues from the comics.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The best part of Captain Marvel being in the 90s is her Susan Lewis haircut.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Carol has had some great stories. Unfortunately, all anyone ever talks about is her being sexually assaulted, Claremont "saving" her by having her call out the Avengers for letting it happen only to have Rogue steal her powers, get them back, and become a sidekick to Cyclop's dad, and the all-over-the-place writing of the past half decade, and not, like, her writing under Busiek's run or when Claremont wrote her solo run and wasn't sacrificing her to the alter of the X-Men.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Having grown up on Air Force bases my entire childhood I'm just hoping for a bad rear end fighter pilot turned bad rear end superhero.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just got out of an Imax showing of Infinity War. Even better the second time through.

Pretty uncomfortable though during the credits as there was a grown drat woman, like mid twenties at least, bawling for like four minutes straight. It was was kinda weird.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mikeraskol posted:

Having grown up on Air Force bases my entire childhood I'm just hoping for a bad rear end fighter pilot turned bad rear end superhero.

Not going to watch it unless they portray the authentic young air force cadet base experience. She needs to:

- Get a quickie marriage to a local guy she has been dating for 3 months so they can live together on base.
- Become a superhero to escape the massive debt from the 28% APR car loan she got at the "Buy Here, Pay Here" car dealership right next to base.
- Wants to eventually transfer into a lucrative civilian career, but becomes unemployable because the only certification she got was a pilot's license.
- Constantly try to convince everyone that the air force is actually very dangerous and by far the best military branch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Just got out of an Imax showing of Infinity War. Even better the second time through.

Pretty uncomfortable though during the credits as there was a grown drat woman, like mid twenties at least, bawling for like four minutes straight. It was was kinda weird.

Pfft, there was some dude in his thirties who was crying when all the poo poo started hitting the fan all the way through the end.

It was me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh, also Comic/Infinity Gauntlet fans I paid the closest of attention and confirmed 100% that Thanos definitely has a scarecrow with one of his helmets on it right outside his door. The best detail!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not going to watch it unless they portray the authentic young air force cadet base experience. She needs to:

- Get a quickie marriage to a local guy she has been dating for 3 months so they can live together on base.
- Become a superhero to escape the massive debt from the 28% APR car loan she got at the "Buy Here, Pay Here" car dealership right next to base.
- Wants to eventually transfer into a lucrative civilian career, but becomes unemployable because the only certification she got was a pilot's license.
- Constantly try to convince everyone that the air force is actually very dangerous and by far the best military branch.

There have been some script leaks and all of that happens in the first act.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She's seemed like the Roman Reigns of Marvel comics if that makes sense.

Maybe I'd be more excited if I had the slightest idea who Brie Larson is. But everyone take about her all the time and apart from seeing mock ups of her as Kate I've honestly never heard of her

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gavok posted:

As is, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT CHEERS IS!"

"...we're just like Kevin Bacon."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

THIS IS A GREAT COMPARISON.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

But people like Captain Marvel?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Codependent Poster posted:

Pfft, there was some dude in his thirties who was crying when all the poo poo started hitting the fan all the way through the end.

It was me.

I had to control myself because I was about to honestly start bawling like a baby. :smith: Specially with Spiderman. :( I know he will come back, but come on, Spidey is like one of my favorite heroes since childhood, and I was a bit obsessed with reading Spidey comics when I was a teenager, so it hits me in the feelings.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dexie posted:

THIS IS A GREAT COMPARISON.

i loving hope not good grief

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I don't mean teared up like everyone does at emotional moments in films. I mean crying like Thanos stepped through the screen and murdered her friend right there in the seat next to her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It hits me how with Marvel and DC, the treatment of Captain Marvel and Cyborg is kind of parallel.

When Marvel did House of M, the world was transformed and the most popular superhero in the world was Ms. Marvel, as all the other big names were off the table. A few years later, DC's Flashpoint made it so that the most popular superhero in the world was Cyborg for the same reason. These were narrative launching points for each company to suddenly treat them as A-listers. For Marvel, they had a major female hero who wasn't linked to Spider-Man/X-Men/F4. For DC, they had a well-known, original black hero who wasn't going to step on Hal Jordan's toes. They've both been pushed onto their universes' respective top teams to lay the seeds for their cinematic takes. With Cyborg, it hasn't really worked out so great. Captain Marvel's situation has more effort put into it, but the comic stuff is mostly botched and we don't know how the movie stuff will end up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe it's because of Giant Bomb, but I could go my whole life without hearing how things are the Roman Reigns of whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe it's because of Giant Bomb, but I could go my whole life without hearing how things are the Roman Reigns of whatever.

I've started to get an idea of who Roman Reigns is just from people over-using the comparison.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Marvel is the Dark Souls of Roman Reigns

He's the dark souls of metaphors

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 4, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Roman Reigns comparison is the Roman Reigns of comparisons. It needs to die.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

The Roman Reigns comparison is the Roman Reigns of comparisons. It needs to die.

Just like Roman Reigns. :v:

Probably just his push to be top face................................maybe...............depends on how Backlash plays out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As for Cyborg/Cap Marvel, one is a functioning and respected part of their superhero community, and one drove Civil War 2. I guess some folks still can't accept Cyb' on the big team, but I dunno about that comparison.

edit: I actually thought Cyborg was actually one of the nicer parts of the movie. I saw a bit more conviction in that kid than in Affleck snoozing through his role.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 4, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So has someone pasted T'challa and Carol's heads onto the Rock and Roman's bodies yet?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People compare them because they think both characters' prominence is forced. Cyborg's inclusion ignores actual League members that would be fitting for the role, ignores that he was part of a lasting and important team line up already, and was done while keeping the rest of the line up as white as bread - and then they did absofuckinglutely nothing with him besides having him around. By comparison, Carol had, before the current attempts to make her prominent, actually been an Avenger in multiple line ups.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought everyone went nuts over the KSD book and that's what launched modern Captain Marvel

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I know Cyborg loves pie and prog rock and that’s all I need to know, baby!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I thought everyone went nuts over the KSD book and that's what launched modern Captain Marvel

KSD fans went nuts over that book. The "Carol Corps" turned out to mostly just be KSD fans and not fans of the character. Every iteration of the book since has been a hundred times better than her runs. Except for the Civil War II stuff. That was a misstep. All the Alpha Flight and Ultimates stuff made up for it though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who's ksd?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Kelly Sue deconnick

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Captain Marvel is the Dark Souls of Roman Reigns

He's the dark souls of metaphors

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/04/the-influence-of-dark-souls-on-avengers-infinity-w.html

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

zoux posted:

Nah, Marvel started pushing Ms/Captain Marvel hard back in 2005, and KSD didn't start writing her until, 2012(?).

The thing is, most of the push was the result of a problem in search of a solution: Marvel needed an Avengers-level female character who could field a solo title (and later, movie) and who wasn't tied up with the X-men or Spider-verse, because they couldn't make movies out of those two properties. There were some good non-Claremont runs of Ms Marvel before KSD, but none that really developed a following. KSD had a following, it just wasn't enough of a following, or the type of thing you could hang a solo-film on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

KSD fans went nuts over that book. The "Carol Corps" turned out to mostly just be KSD fans and not fans of the character. Every iteration of the book since has been a hundred times better than her runs. Except for the Civil War II stuff. That was a misstep. All the Alpha Flight and Ultimates stuff made up for it though.

Ironically, most of the detractors now also seem to mainly be people who hate KSD (some to a degree that is a little worrying) and have never bothered looking at the title since she left, because as you note, it's largely been very solid, and the team books (mainly Ultimates) have been phenomenal, but all you hear is "Kelly-Sue's run was so terrible"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I know Cyborg loves pie and prog rock and that’s all I need to know, baby!
Yes!!

I love Cyborg in almost any incarnation. It's really lonely being a Cyborg fan.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Double post!!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
A day later I am still kind of reeling. The movie was awesome but i was not expecting Thanos to win and for it to stick in the end

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was an unknowing fan of Ms Marvel as the very first X-men comic I read was the one where Carol and Logan sneak into the Pentagon. Both characters instantly became favorites of mine. What made her my absolute favorite was a combination of the mid 2000s series and KSD series. It was really good when it was doing the day in the life of Carol Danvers. She was also really good in Hickman's Avengers.

And did someone ask if Thanos is hot

Spoilered for maybe NSFW

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gavok posted:

It hits me how with Marvel and DC, the treatment of Captain Marvel and Cyborg is kind of parallel.
I mean...I can see the logic that you're coming from, but they're not really all that comparable beyond the broad strokes of "both companies really upsold these two characters."

Sure, the only reason Carol Danvers got a name change and respectability makeover recently was because she's the highest profile superheroine at Marvel whose film rights weren't shuffled elsewhere, but she's still been an Avengers standby for a long, long time. Giving her a solo film is really no different from giving someone like Black Widow or Hawkeye a solo film, the only difference being that they managed to score a spot on the film roster a couple years earlier. Especially considering she's had solo comic runs for many years which is, like, more than a whole lot of other characters could say.

(I know the Wasp also exists but that overcomplicates my point so let's just ignore that for now :v:)

The difference with trying to force Cyborg into the Justice League is that Victor Stone has zero history with the Justice League. Oh, wait, sorry, he was a member of the Super Friends cartoon for one single season before it got cancelled. And then he was a member of the League during Robinson's post-Cry for JUSTICE comics run, which also featured the likes of Congorilla and Donna Troy. Yaaaaay.

The fact is that Cyborg is 30000% more of a Teen Titans character and that's pretty much all he is. Even in the pre-Flashpoint comics, when the whole DC Universe was rife with histories and connections and legacies and interpersonal dynamics, Cyborg was still a character who didn't have much of a link to anyone other than the Wolfman-era Teen Titans. Which was fine! Which works great for him! Just look at how enjoyable he is as a mainstay on all Titans cartoons! It honestly wouldn't feel like the same team at all if Vic wasn't there!

So now in comes the New 52, making GBS threads up everything in its wake, and suddenly we gotta force Cyborg into the League...not just as a newcomer but as a founding member!...because Hal Jordan is the bestest coolest estest GL ever don't @ me, we can't use the new Hawkgirl for some reason, Martian Manhunter being the only character of color makes people kinda uncomfortable, and Steel may or may not exist anymore. But if you're gonna make Cyborg a premiere headliner of DC's premiere superhero team, you're pretty much gonna have to force that story into existence out of wholesale nothing, and the guys who stepped up to accomplish that Sisyphean task were A) Geoff Johns, B) Zack Snyder, and then C) Joss Whedon. Make way fellas, the dream team is here to get it done! :geno: Oh yeah and some guy was writing Cyborg's new solo series but even if I could remember his name I'm not sure it would mean anything to anyone.

Anyway, my point was that it wasn't all that much like Marvel's Carol Danvers push because Carol is just...still Carol. She didn't get retconned into being Captain Marvel, she just got a bit of a promotion. And no one else's histories got bulldozed for her to be elevated to a prominent Avenger, and it's not like she jostled anyone else out of a spot on the roster; anyone who was always an Avenger was still an Avenger, all that really changed logistically was that all her old friends were like "Hey, you got a haircut!"

For it to be comparable to the Cyborg glow-up, it'd have to be like...okay, imagine that we have a new Avengers roster and we need a black character. But we can't use T'Challa. Why? We just can't, that's why. Well, what about Sam? Nope, can't use him either. Rhodey? Nope. Hey, how about Luke Cage or Misty Knight? Haha nope. Y'know who we're actually gonna use? Tyrone "Cloak" Johnson, of "...and Dagger" fame. Yes, I know that he's literally never been an Avenger before and has no notable history with them. I know he's just a teenager barely starting out. Doesn't matter, he's a founding Avenger now! In fact, all those other characters I just mentioned? Not only are they off the team, but now they've literally never been Avengers! Tyrone is now Tony Stark's best friend forever and always has been, and also it turns out that he might be powered by an Infinity Stone or something.

.........Wait, what do you mean that Avengers fans are not literally creaming themselves to death right now? What could we have possibly done wrong!

• Locked thread