Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Groetgaffel posted:

One thing I find that I'm missing is to be able to set the game speed independent of the difficulty like in They Are Billions. Would be nice to be able to stretch the time before the storm hits out a bit, or shorten it to make the game even more frantic.

Definitely. Since they've talked about adding a bunch more content I'll throw out a suggestion into the void: a scenario incredibly similar to the main one, but taking place over a significantly longer timeline would basically be my ideal way of playing this game. I don't think the game would really benefit from a "free play" scenario, but something without such an oppressive time crunch. I get that the time crunch is an important part of making it "I Did What I Had To Do: The Game" but the game's got a save and load feature, might as well make a scenario that lasts long enough to need it.

precision posted:

I could have sworn this was in early access just a few weeks ago. I'm really excited to pick it up. How does it compare to TWoM? As far as the actual gameplay, I mean. I liked that TWoM was just complex enough to be satisfying, and the term RTS makes me worried. Is it pretty easy to play? (Not "win", just play).

The actual gameplay part a city-builder, not an RTS and the mechanics are pretty straightforward if you've played any of those before. Both mechanically and in terms of the scale of the cities you build, it's effectively a self-serious Tropico that calls you a monster for doing oppressive poo poo instead of making bad puns.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ninjewtsu posted:

spamming patrols never gave me enough hope to really give it much consideration, though i guess going the route of jailing all of your political opponents is a different (but also effective) flavor of extreme fascism from propaganda

I assumed that London was hosed. which is why we're up at the generator at all, so I wasn't jailing political opponents I was just giving these idiots some time away from their deluded cult to reconsider trying to trek half way around the frozen death world to a city that was already dead. On a similar note I figured my Propaganda centre was just printing out a bunch of flyers saying "You know how you are upset about walking to work in the cold? Imagine that walk lasted 6 months and at the end there's nothing but an icy tomb." If London is actually fine we should all move down there.

The morality of the game is rather odd too. Like, why do I need to unlock fighting pits before pubs? Is a brothel really worse than deadly cage fighting? Why is soup so bad? I would love a cup of hot soup on a freezing day.

My first run, on normal, has run into some difficult because Outposts are bugged. If you move them at all they don't produce anything. I didn't know that, and since I had just sent an Outpost off to Tesla city for a nice 1 Steam core per day I turned my stockpile into a number of Automations. Now I am trying to fit all the refuges fleeing the storm into the war zones around the few steam hubs I managed to build. I suppose I could deconstruct stuff to repurpose Cores, but I feel for my robo-buddies. They will be my legacy when the humans of the colony are just frozen corpses...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

The morality of the game is rather odd too. Like, why do I need to unlock fighting pits before pubs? Is a brothel really worse than deadly cage fighting?

i took fighting pits to just be a boxing ring. a very mad max 2-inspired one, granted.

definitely agreed on a lot of "bad" decisions looking no where near as bad as i'm apparently supposed to think they are though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm all the Steam reviews complaining about a lack of content/replayability without even the slightest hint of irony from the fact that TWoM got a poo poo load of free poo poo patched in, including whole new scenarios. The Little Ones cost $10, sure, but they added a ton of free stuff too, right up until just a few months ago.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Prav posted:

i took fighting pits to just be a boxing ring. a very mad max 2-inspired one, granted.

definitely agreed on a lot of "bad" decisions looking no where near as bad as i'm apparently supposed to think they are though.

It's the "pits" part that makes me think it's bloodsports. Boxers are up in a raised ring so more people can see them. Trapping the fighters in pits is only good for stopping whoever is losing from escaping before they get their head stomped on. Even if it's just boxing it still seems more extreme than having a drink at a bar, but it'd be more sane. If I'd been making that tree I'd have swapped the pub and the fight pit and then maybe than the fighting zone be a choice between sporty boxing and pitfighting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Darkrenown posted:

It's the "pits" part that makes me think it's bloodsports. Boxers are up in a raised ring so more people can see them. Trapping the fighters in pits is only good for stopping whoever is losing from escaping before they get their head stomped on. Even if it's just boxing it still seems more extreme than having a drink at a bar, but it'd be more sane. If I'd been making that tree I'd have swapped the pub and the fight pit and then maybe than the fighting zone be a choice between sporty boxing and pitfighting.

To be fair maybe they just dig down into a pit because its loving cold.

Also prostitution is hosed up because the brothel public house can still be run by all kids working "safe" jobs *shudders* or at least it didn't kick the ones out when I did it in a desperate attempt to drop discontent on a playthrough

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 3, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Why is soup so bad? I would love a cup of hot soup on a freezing day.

Because what you think of as soups are probably more like stews. You put in some meat, some dumplings perhaps, some potatoes, some peas, corn, vegetables, maybe some noodles....all stuff like leftovers, but stuff to bulk it out. Even if you go with a plain soup that's just blended down tomatoes(As an example), it's probably thick, not thin and watery stuff. It's not being made thin for the sake of conserving your actual food stock.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

precision posted:

I'm all the Steam reviews complaining about a lack of content/replayability without even the slightest hint of irony from the fact that TWoM got a poo poo load of free poo poo patched in, including whole new scenarios. The Little Ones cost $10, sure, but they added a ton of free stuff too, right up until just a few months ago.

reviewing a game as it is at the time you write the review is entirely fair in my book

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Darkrenown posted:

Why is soup so bad? I would love a cup of hot soup on a freezing day.

I assume it's less:

And more:

quote:

...the daily ration consisted of very watery soup given out once daily, and the usual small bread ration. In addition to that, there was the so-called extra allowance," consisting of three-fourths of an ounce of margarine, or of a slice of poor quality sausage, or of a little piece of cheese, or a bit of synthetic honey, or a spoonful of watery jam, varying daily. In calories, this diet was absolutely inadequate, especially taking into consideration our heavy manual work and our constant exposure to the cold in inadequate clothing.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 4, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GamingHyena posted:

I assume it's less:

And more:

yeah the soup is almost certainly "warm salt water that barely smells like broth, with a thin slice of squash floating in it"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, you’re taking 4 servings of food and turning them into 5, not 12 or 16.

A more reasonable explanation would seem to be that soup is fine, but having nothing but soup is pretty annoying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A more reasonable explanation would seem to be that soup is fine, but having nothing but soup is pretty annoying.

You take a quarter of the veggies and noodles out of minestrone and replace it with water, then

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i kept having weird deja vu while staring at and planning my city, couldn't put my finger on it, then it hit me...

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I don't know if there needs to be a more in-depth explanation for Soup Rage then you're feeding people less food. Got off my emergency 24 hour shift in the coal mine to have an even smaller meal than I had yesterday. Praise the Captain!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Just completed my first game and even though I didn't build any prisons or research the fiery evil order technology and also saved what was left of humanity through my excellent urban planning skills I'm apparently some sort of monster. "Sure we survived the worst storm in the history of the planet and even accepted a bunch of (but not all) refugees but Captain made us work extra shifts and had guards keeping us safe so WAS IT EVEN WORTH IT GUYS?" :cry:

They should have an event after the storm where a bunch of crybabies come up boohooing about how things were a little TOO orderly and you get the chance to throw their whiny asses into the wastes.

Is there a bright line rule as to what is considered too evil and what isn't?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did you build a minitruth propaganda center and have all the streets under the watch of armed guards at all times?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Sir the people are upset, what should we do?"

"Hand out propaganda flyers."

"Alright.. and what should they say?"

"That they need to have faith, because Chris Robberts is making the best drat space sim ever made and it will be out soon."

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

GamingHyena posted:

Just completed my first game and even though I didn't build any prisons or research the fiery evil order technology and also saved what was left of humanity through my excellent urban planning skills I'm apparently some sort of monster. "Sure we survived the worst storm in the history of the planet and even accepted a bunch of (but not all) refugees but Captain made us work extra shifts and had guards keeping us safe so WAS IT EVEN WORTH IT GUYS?" :cry:

They should have an event after the storm where a bunch of crybabies come up boohooing about how things were a little TOO orderly and you get the chance to throw their whiny asses into the wastes.

I suspect that the dialogue options you pick also has an impact on your narrative ending. So even if you played nice with book of laws and building abilities, you might have been too cruel with some choices?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, if we got a LOT more soup than meals I could see it being a thin gruel to make the supplies last longer, but something like 80% of a meal made into soup is probably just as, if not more, filling than the meal would have been. Less nutritional, of course, but if a regular meal is sustaining for an adult man working in the coal mines all day then soup should have plenty of calories for a child or woman. Also, the other choice was literally putting sawdust in the food to spread it out, so soup seemed like the good choice there.

I didn't ever make soup anyway, so people actually got mad over the possibility of soup. Perhaps I should not have signed the law at all, but I think I had to choose between soup/sawdust in an event.

I guess I am talking too much about soup, but soup is just one example of the odd morality system the game presents. "Humanity survived but you said we might need to make soup if food runs low, WAS IT WORTH IT???". Uh, yeah. The "bad" choices I'm making don't seem actually bad while the game is perfectly happy with fighting pits being the default social gathering venue, so the whole thing falls flat. I won my first game on normal, but I was told "Order was abused". The existence of prisons was brought up as a negative, which are something which exist in every western society - I guess we are all oppressed by fascism then? Perhaps corporal punishment is the more humane option? Or to banish people into the wastes? Perhaps there should just be no consequences to crime? What are you trying to say, game?

That aside, I enjoyed the game, although I do wish my 100+ unemployed dudes would just hop into free job slots instead of me needing to click on each building and clicking them into working.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Darkrenown posted:

That aside, I enjoyed the game, although I do wish my 100+ unemployed dudes would just hop into free job slots instead of me needing to click on each building and clicking them into working.

There are situations where you might not want that, namely when the temperature is not good in the work facility. By the end game most of my population is unemployed and that's exactly how I want them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Isn't the answer there to turn off the building? If the building is too cold to work that's fine, but I can't think of any reason I would want a building to be half-staffed while there's plenty of spare workers.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I lost a solid hard mode run of the Arks because I had the gen in overdrive and forgot about it.

:bang:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The trick is to add gin to your soup.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Ofaloaf posted:

The trick is to add gin to your soup.

This is my favorite law. It costs nothing, has no drawbacks, is 100% passive and 100% beneficial.

Runner up is morning gatherings on the faith / discipline trees.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So I have passed child shelters and engineer apprentices, is there anything I must manually do to get bonuses to research efficiency? Also, it doesn't seem to be telling me by how much efficiency has increased.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

GamingHyena posted:

drat near everything down the cop path, about two thirds of the religious path, child labor, extra shifts, amputations, mass graves, short rations, and all the entertainment past boxing pits are considered bad choices. Each of them have different weights, so it's not entirely clear what's going to bring you over the line. Setting yourself up as a totalitarian dictator on either Purpose path will give you the Bad End regardless of other choices.

Considering this is a Polish studio, I'm willing to lay some of the blame for the weirdness as poor word choice during translation/localization. Especially with the phrase "fighting pits" which implies some thunderdome poo poo in English, but in the game nobody even gets hurt in these so we're clearly not feeding dissidents to lions or whatever y'all are imagining.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

mortons stork posted:

So I have passed child shelters and engineer apprentices, is there anything I must manually do to get bonuses to research efficiency? Also, it doesn't seem to be telling me by how much efficiency has increased.

The bonus doesn't start immediately during the workday IIRC, check around 10 or 11 am. Click on a building and hover over the efficiency bar at the top of the building's panel to see the breakdown of bonuses. You don't have to do anything extra to get the research bonus other than have a child shelter.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the achievements, which arguably add some replay value, are irredeemably hosed, i've gotten several that i didn't earn and didn't get several that i should have

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I think some of the laws might need a rework or re-balance, at present there's really no reason to not really go for soup if your are considering food additive vs soup. One risks making your people sick, pisses them off and won't give more food while the other pisses them off but you get like double the meal per unit.

Also for a patch/expansion idea, maybe having a third book of laws for after the storm passes would be cool, for how you want to rebuild society after the apocalypse, what guiding vision will you set or something (since the order/faith dichotomy is more focused on maintaining hope/discord in the face of overwhelming odds). Maybe Force/Diplomacy and the focus is on the next 20 or 30 days working with other surviving cities/groups for creating a new civilization in the wastes with New London at the core. Do you conquer people to spread your faith/fascist Lebensraum or use force to secure the wastes from something or do you use diplomacy to either work hard to build a cooperative community or insidiously worm your way into other surviving groups with your weird religion/carry political ideology.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
BREAKING NEWS

"Alternative Food Sources" IS still in the game - prior information was incorrect. It is unlocked after a series of events which unfold if things are very bad in your city.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

That’s actually really cool that it only pops up if you royally gently caress up and need the unthinkable option.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It certainly makes sense that 'anyone for a bit of long pig?' isn't on the normal set of laws.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I think some of the laws might need a rework or re-balance, at present there's really no reason to not really go for soup if your are considering food additive vs soup. One risks making your people sick, pisses them off and won't give more food while the other pisses them off but you get like double the meal per unit.

Soup gives 5 food per 2 raw. Sawdust gives 6 per 2 raw. The side effect is pretty minor. I ended up using it in the second scenario because you don't get hunters and it helped make the early game less stressful.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, just finished the first scenario on hard. Wow, that was a thing. For the record, I did all of Order except the bottom three (not the bottom-most one or the two leading to it), and did child labor (though only select jobs) and soup, and still got "We didn't cross the line". My society under fierce watch, passing out constant propaganda, and having enough people in prisons that the damned thing was full for days, wasn't a bridge too far, so I don't know what evil poo poo you guys are up to.

Thoughts on "A New Home" on hard:

* I absolutely agree with whomever previously said that on hard, the first two weeks are the worst. I had to constantly re-load autosaves as I missed timings and screwed up build orders. By the time the storm was approaching, I was pleasantly rolling surpluses of everything and only had to do some minor re-arranging to hit all of the objectives.

* For me, child labor was essential to getting through those first two weeks. I didn't go to the "work all jobs" level, but being able to work kids in gathering posts and cooking houses meant I was able to get a medical hut, workshop, and hunting hut up faster and staffed because my wood gathering didn't slow. And then once those open resources were gone, I set up a coal thumper and was able to expand my coal production pretty easily with child-only gathering huts. (I'm a monster, now that I look at what I wrote.)

* Early soup also helped, as even with extra child labor, an extra 20% food production kept my people lean but not mean.

* I stumbled into what ended up being a really good layout - I built houses and support in the first two rows, and quickly researched what I needed to expand the generator to those rows. I then figured out how far out five row would be, and built a huge circle road around on the assumption that I'd build housing on the inside and steam hubs with timers on the outside... but then it turned out that a steam hub on that circle road with the area expansion tech could cover everything in rows 3 - 5 as well as a bunch of space outside for industry, so I ended up never researching generator expansion beyond Range Upgrade I. Houses and watchtowers went in rows 3 - 5, industry went on the other side, and industry not needing heat (hunting lodges and resource siloes) filled the outer spaces. The only downside was that most of the set mine locations are outside of that range, but that's what automatons are for.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
:siren: Your automatons have funny little autogenerated names :siren:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bogart posted:

:siren: Your automatons have funny little autogenerated names :siren:

"The Indomitable Celt" or whatever similar name was amazing in my ark playthrough

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alternative food source is delightful. I mean I don't know what you'd have to do to get to that point other than probably fail at the game entirely so it seems like you have to deliberately shoot for it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What does hard do, anyway? You just get fewer people to start? The temperature drops sooner and faster?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
More or less. Worse yields, worse temperatures, possibly worse law/research times. Speaking of, beat New Home on Hard. Didn't cross the line, with Faith, tempting as it was with all the spare time I had at the end to declare myself Ice Pope of Frozen New London. Worse thing I did was sending the kids to town without an escort, but I ended up actually sending my scouts to bring them back cause I'm a sucker. Definitely need safe kid jobs at the beginning, the crunch for stuff is too hard otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Nah, you don't need safe kid jobs even on hard, in fact I think the research speed bonus from the child shelter tech path is more valuable