Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, you saw Engarde. The dude was practically begging for a guilty plea by the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, you saw Engarde. The dude was practically begging for a guilty plea by the end of it.

I wonder why he had a wine glass full of gravy...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rich people are weird.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Can I just say how that model of walkie talkie they had was totally hosed up? Like, leaking oil? Exploding???

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Plom Bar posted:

He didn't have to, is the worst part. If he had moved for a verdict after the walkie-talkie's testimony, Engarde would have gotten off scot-free. I'm not saying he should have, but something about the way Wright handled this case tells me he might not stay barred for long.

I give him 2 years. Tops.

Maybe if we lived in the dark ages. Wright's display of honesty and morality were incredible. He'll stay an honest example for lawyers for years to come.

I wonder if that rumored Gatewatered Amusement Park will have some nods to Wright, this is yet another massively public case involving their hotels where he was involved.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I doubt Gatewater will want people to remember all the murders connected with their properties. Maybe they should work closely with police or something to make guests feel safe....

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I can't tell if that fat detective likes getting whipped by that German prosecutor or not, but I also don't know why they keep showing footage of it on TV

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All I know is big mood.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The White Dragon posted:

I can't tell if that fat detective likes getting whipped by that German prosecutor or not, but I also don't know why they keep showing footage of it on TV

Oh, you're watching it on Take-2? They always seem to give extra focus to the skeevy things. Still, I guess that keeps people watching, so you've gotta hand it to their producer - guy knows what he's doing.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

On a whim I equipped Phoenix's tiger costume at the start of 6-5 and it may as well be canon it works so well. This case rules.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm finishing the last main story case in Spirit of Justice, and I don't understand something. Amara claims that if she were going to channel anyone, it would've HAD to been Inga because he was the only corpse nearby, and everybody's like "Yep, that checks out." When the hell did that become a rule of spirit channeling? Was Phoenix have Mia's body stashed in the gallery somewhere for all those cases where Maya was channeling her? What about that nurse who got killed on the highway; was her body just conveniently close to Kurain Village?

Am I crazy, or did they rewrite the rules a little to make this story work? I don't mind a ton if they did (it's magic, after all), but I just wanted to double-check.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

I'm finishing the last main story case in Spirit of Justice, and I don't understand something. Amara claims that if she were going to channel anyone, it would've HAD to been Inga because he was the only corpse nearby, and everybody's like "Yep, that checks out." When the hell did that become a rule of spirit channeling? Was Phoenix have Mia's body stashed in the gallery somewhere for all those cases where Maya was channeling her? What about that nurse who got killed on the highway; was her body just conveniently close to Kurain Village?

Am I crazy, or did they rewrite the rules a little to make this story work? I don't mind a ton if they did (it's magic, after all), but I just wanted to double-check.

If she doesn’t channel Inga, whoever she channels might not bother going back to where Inga was

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

quote:

What about that nurse who got killed on the highway; was her body just conveniently close to Kurain Village?

You do remember that wasn't actually the nurse being channeled, right?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

F. Lobot posted:

On a whim I equipped Phoenix's tiger costume at the start of 6-5 and it may as well be canon it works so well. This case rules.

I did the opposite. I put the alternate costume on Phoenix at the start of the game and pretended those were his vacation clothes and that he hadn't bothered to pack a suit since he didn't expect to need one overseas. Then I switched back to the regular outfit when he came home at the start of 6-5.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Phoenix wears a suit to the circus, he absolutely wears a suit on vacation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

surf rock posted:

Boy it's been a while since I played it but I don't remember what you're describing being a plot point at all. That's definitely not how spirit channeling has ever worked.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mountaineer posted:

I did the opposite. I put the alternate costume on Phoenix at the start of the game and pretended those were his vacation clothes and that he hadn't bothered to pack a suit since he didn't expect to need one overseas. Then I switched back to the regular outfit when he came home at the start of 6-5.

I did the same. :3:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I hope the future games only have one day trials like AA6 did

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hope the future games stop raising the stakes all the time. I don't need Phoenix and Maya to get a literal death penalty in case 3 to keep me invested!

Also I kinda like the pacing of two day trials better.

E:

Mountaineer posted:

Hell, same. It's also the only alternate costume I've actually used.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 19, 2018

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Raising stakes is fine and good so long as we get cases like Storyteller to balance things out.

Storyteller is a great case and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

What we really need is Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney already. Come on Capcom.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I hope in a future game The Q put Earth on trial and Nick has to save the human race from the death penalty.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the next game will feature time travel and if phoenix fails a case the space-time continuum collapses and we all die

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Von Karma, I've come to bargain.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Let Athena headline AA7 and bring back Franziska and her wife.

Also Gumshoe.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

Let Athena headline AA7 and bring back Franziska and her wife.

Also Gumshoe.

:hmmyes:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Frankly I'm still amazed that Athena even worked as a character at all, let alone as well as she does. I'd definitely like to see her headline a game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Now that Polly has moved out, Athena can get a trilogy about her story.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Now that Polly has moved out, Athena can get a trilogy about her story.

I want the parrot to get its own game too !

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aviary Attorney... Wait.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
My PC broke down so I had to get a new one. This of course meant I lost the AAI2 save so now I'm stuck playing through and experiencing it all over again because I somewhat forgot how things went in the game.

It's great! :smug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Announce AA Switch already Capcom

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Man, I love the Ace Attorney games. Besides finishing Spirit of Justice recently, I've skimmed through some of this thread and watched let's plays of a couple of the older games to jog my memory. Some disconnected thoughts on the series:

- I might be (and probably am) wrong about this, but it feels like the number of secondary characters in a given case has dropped over time. In any given case, it feels like I can say, "OK, our defendant is innocent, so one of the two witnesses did it. If one of them is a recurring character, it's the other person. If not, it's whoever gets less testimony initially." I feel like there's a dearth of minor characters and therefore possible red herrings. If you look at the whole cast, you've got a total of four people who are not main protagonists, main antagonists and/or criminals, clients, or victims: Bonny and her sister, Uendo, and Sarge. By comparison, case 1-3 alone had three in Cody, Penny, and Sal.

- Something I would love to see introduced to the series is a couple of irrelevant pieces of evidence each case. I feel like it would be a minor but beneficial difficulty boost; these games have gotten pretty easy.

- The quality of prosecutors has really dropped over time. Edgeworth remains the series' best prosecutor; he's definitely an antagonist, but he's fair and has a strong character arc over time. Manfred von Karma was the perfect incarnation of "pure evil" prosecutor in a way that Ga'ran failed to match. Franziska, Godot, Blackquill, and Nahyuta are all in a similar boat as gimmicks first and characters second, but it was more enjoyable to face the first three than Nahyuta and they also got more development throughout their cases. Nahyuta's character moments all come in a rush at the end, and he doesn't really seem any different. I guess he's still better than Klavier, though, who is by far the worst in the series.

- I love that in AA4, Ema is actually a pretty lovely investigator and that she's struggled to turn her hobbyist ambitions into her career. It's a nice counterpoint to all of the teenage prodigies running around. She gets where she wants to be eventually, but it takes time and baby steps.

- In hindsight, Kristoph's supposed motivation for his actions is super goofy. He hears about a well-known magician being accused of a crime, decides it's going to be the case that makes him famous, forges some evidence to set himself up to win the case, and then actually talks to the magician and doesn't get hired for the job. He then proceeds to ruin the life of the poor sap, Phoenix, who did get hired. It's so dumb.

- Athena is ready for her turn in the spotlight. She started off in Dual Destinies less ready than Phoenix and Apollo were in 1-1 and 4-1, but she's now at the point where 7-1 should be the real start of her arc as a defense attorney. I also like the Mood Matrix/therapist angles and would love to see that mechanic get some more layers added to it and her analytical psychology to become a bigger part of her legal approach. It's a big way to differentiate her cases from Phoenix and Apollo.

- I saw some people criticize Pearl's portrayal in Spirit of Justice as stagnant, but it seemed reasonable to me. She's still a sheltered girl growing up in an unusual culture. As a little kid, she was curious in the kind of broad way that children that age are, but as a teenager, she's curious about very specific things in the outside world and actively wants to pursue them. I think her childish artwork caused a lot of the negativity here, but there are a lot of adults who can't do better than blobs and stick figures (myself included).

- This game felt like a perfect way to cap off Apollo's character arc. I'll be happy if he gets a case in future games, but he doesn't need to be the main focus anymore.

- I think there's a lot of circumstantial evidence about Inga having a decent side and getting pushed around by Ga'ran, but it's super weird to me that the last case didn't really circle back to wrap up his story. Typically the series is really heavy-handed about stuff like that; I was sure that after the case we would have to present some kind of evidence to Rayfa to prove he loved her or something like that and it didn't happen.

- Ranking Ace Attorney game quality: 1 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 4

- Ranking Ace Attorney game mechanics: Thought Route > Psyche-Locks > Mood Matrix > Dance of Devotion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Perceive > Forensics

- Ranking Ace Attorney kid partners: Maya > Rayfa > Athena > Trucy > Pearl > Ema >>>>>>>>Ahibi

- Top five Ace Attorney cases: 1-4, 1-5, 2-4, 3-4, 6-5

- Bottom five Ace Attorney cases: 2-3, 4-3, 4-4, 5-2, 6-1

- I miss Gumshoe.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Announce AA Switch already Capcom

:yeah:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Edgeworth and Ema are definitely the best characters in the series because they have arcs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were writer favorites. Blackquill is also the second best prosecutor behind Edgeworth, but I will keep hoping Franziska returns in some capacity.

Ema was also the best sidekick after Franziska and if you disagree you're wrong.

PS Bring back police chief Gumshoe and his negative salary.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Franziska needs to come back in a big way along with her wife Adrian Andrews.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Franziska should return with a protege.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Edgeworth and Ema are definitely the best characters in the series because they have arcs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were writer favorites. Blackquill is also the second best prosecutor behind Edgeworth, but I will keep hoping Franziska returns in some capacity.

Ema was also the best sidekick after Franziska and if you disagree you're wrong.

PS Bring back police chief Gumshoe and his negative salary.

Detective Gumshoe also finished his arc; his salary went so negative it wrapped around

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

TheKingofSprings posted:

Detective Gumshoe also finished his arc; his salary went so negative it wrapped around

Gumshoe's salary went the way of Gandhi's aggression rating and he went from making no money to making All The Money. All of it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so you're saying, he's perpetually renting a gatewater suite with victor kudo where girls dressed like maids fan them and feed them grapes all day

also nick cmon man poo poo or get off the pot. propose to either maya or edgeworth already. actually at this rate iris will serve out her prison sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The final case of AA7 is Athena v. Provinstate of Japanifornia to allow Nick to marry Edgeworth. I don't know how this would result from a murder case, but who cares about details?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 4, 2018