Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Peel posted:

it seems like labour made minor gains but lost the expectations game?

good news is ukip were obliterated, bad news is that's probably because the tories are overtly racist now

Basically

It should be pointed out that the 2014 previous election for these seats were near-historically great for Labour, so improving on that didn't hurt. Expect to see a renewed "Labour = Antisemitism" attack due to disappointing results in Barnet though. There is also going to be a row about Owen Jones orchestrating sending loads of volunteers to areas Labour didn't end up winning. The usual suspects like Jess Phillips are already whining.

All in all not as great a night as Labour hoped for but certainly not bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

What's the difference between UKIP and the government?

UKIP is openly racist but has no power. The government is less overt, but carries out horribly racist policies that hurt millions.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

hakimashou posted:

What's the difference between UKIP and the government?

Tories didn't let Nigel Farage be in charge.

Well, not directly in charge.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

it seems like labour made minor gains but lost the expectations game?
They has been basically no change in seats for anyone other than UKIP. For Labour, over the about 2500 seats reported so far they have gained about 40 from their pretty low 2014 numbers. The Tories are in about the same place (currently -2), Lib Dems have picked up quite a few in relative terms (up about as many seats as Labour), but 2014 was extremely bad for them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Basically

It should be pointed out that the 2014 previous election for these seats were near-historically great for Labour, so improving on that didn't hurt.
Maybe in London Labour did historically well in 2014, the national picture is a completely different kettle of fish.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

namesake posted:

Factual reporting would be talking about the end of UKIP but instead we're going to hear about this is another public vote of no confidence in Corbyn and the more aggressive left-wing campaigners like Owen Jones.

and then ignoring UKIP basically forever since they're an irrelevance

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Will we finally see an end to the purple stripe in national election coverage where even the DUP reliably gets more MPs than UKIP? Who can say.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jBrereton posted:

Will we finally see an end to the purple stripe in national election coverage where even the DUP reliably gets more MPs than UKIP? Who can say.

I have a feeling that even when the entire ukip membership can share the same minibus to a conference the beeb will still find it necessary to interview them all

Two birds with one stone really, they will surely find a few members of the taxpayers alliance in there too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

Maybe in London Labour did historically well in 2014, the national picture is a completely different kettle of fish.

Agreed. It's time for a strong, capable leader. It's the time of Chris Leslie to lead the Labour Party.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

State of parties after 98 of 150 councils:

Conservatives: 30 councils; 878 seats (-31)

Labour: 50 councils (-1); 1,424 seats (+57)

LibDems: 4 councils (+1); 324 seats (+41)

Green: 21 seats (+6)

UKIP: 2 seats (-44)

Independent: 61 seats (-49)

Liberal: 1 seat (-1)

Ratepayers and Residents: 37 seats (-4)

No overall control: 14 councils

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

State of parties after 98 of 150 councils:

Conservatives: 30 councils; 878 seats (-31)

Labour: 50 councils (-1); 1,424 seats (+57)

LibDems: 4 councils (+1); 324 seats (+41)

Green: 21 seats (+6)

UKIP: 2 seats (-44)

Independent: 61 seats (-49)

Liberal: 1 seat (-1)

Ratepayers and Residents: 37 seats (-4)

No overall control: 14 councils

see, this is how it should be reported

gains and losses mean nothing without a hard number :doh:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

labours going to gain on its record gains in 2014 and the media will find a way to get mad at corbyn about it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/992290600304037888

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

labours going to gain on its record gains in 2014 and the media will find a way to get mad at corbyn about it

well you see they didn't gain actual council control in insanely safe tory areas they campaigned in and just won a few seats so obviously thats a loss

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Translating local election results to general election results is about as useful as translating the migratory patterns of seagulls into general election results.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is Vince Fedora's dream outcome, when it can be his party propping up the Tories instead of the DUP.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

jBrereton posted:

They has been basically no change in seats for anyone other than UKIP. For Labour, over the about 2500 seats reported so far they have gained about 40 from their pretty low 2014 numbers. The Tories are in about the same place (currently -2), Lib Dems have picked up quite a few in relative terms (up about as many seats as Labour), but 2014 was extremely bad for them.

What are you on about? Labour's local election results were like the second best in party history or something, they gained 324 seats in that election: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

What are you on about? Labour's local election results were like the second best in party history or something, they gained 324 seats in that election: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014
Boundary Changes be damned I could have sworn they did worse than in 2012 in 2014, without going into the yuge local election victories of the 1990s

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/992339129701683200

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
sighing wistfully and lookin at that r e d d map of 1995

GET HIM OUT OF HERE

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

not sure what's funnier, the Zionist Hitler theory or the fact that it makes nazis mad

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

hard to believe that the former London mayor who cannot stop talking about Hitler isn't Boris Johnson

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lmao the lib dems wish they were ever that popular

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

lmao the lib dems wish they were ever that popular
They had 62 seats under Kennedy, 57 under Clegg and formed part of the government for five years. I mean that happened within the last decade.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

They had 62 seats under Kennedy, 57 under Clegg and formed part of the government for five years. I mean that happened within the last decade.

just let me have this

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Expect to see a renewed "Labour = Antisemitism" attack due to disappointing results in Barnet though.

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/992367185296322560

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I still don't understand the charge

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lawman 0 posted:

I still don't understand the charge

Ken Livingstone is still a Labour member (fair but he is still under investigation and can't stay in much longer), so is Jackie Walker (unfair) and Corbyn is supportive of justice for Palestine rather than continued Israeli oppression (obviously unfair). Everything else is lovely societal level bigotry which Labour deals with better than the other parties.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Im all the Tories suspended for racism in the lead up to this election the press barely reported on

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Jose posted:

Im all the Tories suspended for racism in the lead up to this election the press barely reported on

Conservatives gain Pendle after readmitting councillor

Pendle was under no overall control, with the Conservatives on 24 and Labour on 15. However, the Tories have now managed to take Pendle by one seat after reinstating Councillor Rosemary Carroll who had been suspended for retweeting a racist joke.

http://twitter.com/BritishGovWatch/status/881227667776966657

This is bad news...for Corbyn!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

https://twitter.com/MikeSegalov/status/992404752012070913?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All dogs deserve welfare.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol people are still going to be very mad at corbyn though

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol people are still going to be very mad at corbyn though

no idea what you're talking about

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/992514681280585730

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lol they don't have the balls to do another leadership challenge

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
An important birthday.

https://twitter.com/Classic_picx/status/992713423380238337

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Interesting that Jeremy Corbyn would publicly celebrate the birth of a baby royal but not Charlie M.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

I'm all the Tory councillors who got reinstated because they won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

jBrereton posted:

Boundary Changes be damned I could have sworn they did worse than in 2012 in 2014, without going into the yuge local election victories of the 1990s

I mean the 2014 local elections are like the poster child for "PAST LOCAL ELECTIONS ARE NOT INDICATORS OF FUTURE GE PERFORMANCE"