Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snowman_McK posted:

Do elaborate. I either haven't seen it or have forgotten it, and I love hearing/remembering how dumb Arrow gets despite being generally okay.

A gunman attacked City Hall, but it turned out to just be a random dude and not a villain, with no visible motive. The episode was about Oliver as mayor trying to get gun control passed in his city while fighting Vigilante as Green Arrow. One of his sidekicks rode for complete gun freedom, and the police chief rode for locking them down while an NRA type villain lady in the city council threatened to end Oliver's career.

The main problem with the episode was the ending. Police chief guy and Mad Dog started in a room all night until they came up with a moderate gun control plan EVERYONE could agree on, even the NRA lady! Everybody shook hands and said "Wow when we really put our heads together we can find common ground! This bill (which you never see) will keep guns out of criminal hands while also protecting the right to bear arms!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't the 70s version of Green Arrow a communist who went on a road trip around America with Green Lantern where they argued about politics a lot?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

That's rough dude. You can see the film, though.

What a creatin he is for wanting to see one of the most ‘important’ unadulatered series in film history.

“Just download it illegally”- says the dunce

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

You aren't as cool as you think you are, dawg.

I'm willingly posting on Something Awful about the Star Wars films. How cool do you think I could possibly consider myself?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

A gunman attacked City Hall, but it turned out to just be a random dude and not a villain, with no visible motive. The episode was about Oliver as mayor trying to get gun control passed in his city while fighting Vigilante as Green Arrow. One of his sidekicks rode for complete gun freedom, and the police chief rode for locking them down while an NRA type villain lady in the city council threatened to end Oliver's career.

The main problem with the episode was the ending. Police chief guy and Mad Dog started in a room all night until they came up with a moderate gun control plan EVERYONE could agree on, even the NRA lady! Everybody shook hands and said "Wow when we really put our heads together we can find common ground! This bill (which you never see) will keep guns out of criminal hands while also protecting the right to bear arms!"

Reminds me of the 'Sum of All Fears' book, where they bring peace to Israel without ever specifying how.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Brother Entropy posted:

nah, arrow mostly avoided politics outside of season 1 where he's only really going after businessmen in the Illuminati that his dad belonged to

Well he’s largely just beating up the corrupt businessmen, or handcuffing them for police. The lower class henchmen working for the Businessmen get straight up murdered.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Reminds me of the 'Sum of All Fears' book, where they bring peace to Israel without ever specifying how.

honestly that might be a less stupid option than specifying how and having people pick the plausibility apart for one reason or another

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

The only good thing about this is that it seems like the studios no longer is trying to make a "Robin Hood shared universe".

Yeah, back in 2015 there was a three way race to develop a Robin Hood film. Disney snatched up a spec script called Nottingham & Hood (which was going to have a Pirates of the Caribbean tone and was intended to become their new ongoing franchise), Sony had Hood (which was going to become their new shared cinematic universe project with spinoff origin movies for all the secondary characters) and then Robin Hood: Origins appeared. There was some speculation that Sony might grab it and merge it into their current project but Lionsgate ended up buying it and somehow managed to win the Robin Hood Reboot race. I'm guessing that the other studios must have realised it was a dud prospect and backed out because Lionsgate dragged their feet and had to wait for Taron Egerton to finish filming the two Kingsman films before they could start on this so the other studios had plenty of opportunity to beat them to the post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm willingly posting on Something Awful about the Star Wars films. How cool do you think I could possibly consider myself?

I read Tom Clancy since middle school, Red October was a great book and movie. I also read all of Michael Chrichton's poo poo and I'm glad they're both dead.

Niven and OSC can go next. I really wanted Ender's Game to be a good movie because, awesome cast but now we have RP1

gently caress everything, kill your heroes

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't the 70s version of Green Arrow a communist who went on a road trip around America with Green Lantern where they argued about politics a lot?

The series that iirc began with Green Lantern saving a slumlord from a beating and then being confronted by a black dude who is all "oh so you out in space always helping the green skins and orange skins and poo poo but god forbid you help a brown skin you loving cop"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just like any good establishment narc, Hal Jordan was also in an intimate relationship with an 8-year-old girl.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I read Tom Clancy since middle school, Red October was a great book and movie. I also read all of Michael Chrichton's poo poo and I'm glad they're both dead.

Niven and OSC can go next. I really wanted Ender's Game to be a good movie because, awesome cast but now we have RP1

gently caress everything, kill your heroes

Clancy's early books (Red October, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, the Sum of All Fears) are legitimately good-to-great reads.

Then the Soviet Union collapsed and welp

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Clancy's early books (Red October, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, the Sum of All Fears) are legitimately good-to-great reads.

Then the Soviet Union collapsed and welp

Yeah, the one of his that took a while to sink in was Without Remorse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Remorse

it's basically First Blood done wrong. And Crichton just flipped his lid with State of Fear.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

syscall girl posted:

I kept through with Niven for a while but about ten years ago he wrote a story that was entirely about a Kzin wanting to name himself after Earth's mightiest warrior and finally deciding the only human who was a good enough warrior to be taken as a Kzin name was Ronald Reagan. I think that collection also included a story where some guy in the future thinks about how great global warming is because in the future they found out it was the only thing holding back to new ice age and isn't it ironic that without global warming all the endangered animals in Africa the hippies worried about would have died?

Still hoping the Amazon Ringworld show gets made, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

I kept through with Niven for a while but about ten years ago he wrote a story that was entirely about a Kzin wanting to name himself after Earth's mightiest warrior and finally deciding the only human who was a good enough warrior to be taken as a Kzin name was Ronald Reagan. I think that collection also included a story where some guy in the future thinks about how great global warming is because in the future they found out it was the only thing holding back to new ice age and isn't it ironic that without global warming all the endangered animals in Africa the hippies worried about would have died?

Ouch.

Yeah we already got Ringworld though. It's called Halo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Niven related and this would make a great movie I just re-read the short story Bordered in Black and in his defense he referred to a sportsball team called the Berlin Nazis.

Which makes me think he might not respect Reagan but he is a huge figure, culturally.

And I'm an apologist. Niven only wrote 4% of the Man-Kzin Wars and it's fun to drink with him at a con

He's also a huge racist piece of poo poo but so it goes

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Can we have a Halo movie? Ideally directed by Blomkamp or something.

Brother Entropy posted:

honestly that might be a less stupid option than specifying how and having people pick the plausibility apart for one reason or another

Oh, absolutely. I know why he never specified it.

syscall girl posted:

Yeah, the one of his that took a while to sink in was Without Remorse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Remorse

it's basically First Blood done wrong. And Crichton just flipped his lid with State of Fear.

Without Remorse is one of his better ones because it involves the least real world politics. When he tries to write that you get environmentalists re-engineering the ebola virus.There's a book where Iraq and Iran merge into one country and attack the US and another where China becomes a democracy in about five minutes and Russia joins Nato, so it's pretty clear Clancy's grasp on Geo-politics was...unique.

Also, it's a cliche that genre writers write really bad sex scenes, but Clancy describes breasts like an alien would. Even 14 year old me thought 'dangling deliciously' was a loving awful phrase. Then there's the whole sub plot in another one where an Asian American spy can seduce all the Chinese women because he has a huge American cock.

Jesus, why the gently caress did I read so many of them?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, absolutely. I know why he never specified it.

Without Remorse is one of his better ones because it involves the least real world politics. When he tries to write that you get environmentalists re-engineering the ebola virus.There's a book where Iraq and Iran merge into one country and attack the US and another where China becomes a democracy in about five minutes and Russia joins Nato, so it's pretty clear Clancy's grasp on Geo-politics was...unique.

Also, it's a cliche that genre writers write really bad sex scenes, but Clancy describes breasts like an alien would. Even 14 year old me thought 'dangling deliciously' was a loving awful phrase. Then there's the whole sub plot in another one where an Asian American spy can seduce all the Chinese women because he has a huge American cock.

Jesus, why the gently caress did I read so many of them?

drat, I just remembered how Clancy described his self-insert characters wife.

She has small breasts and he liked to compliment her for them, because ya know they're boobs. And they get kinda sweaty underneath

it's just tmi

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chairman Capone posted:

well to be fair, the kzinti are insane warmongers so from their point of view Reagan probably is a pretty cool guy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DC Murderverse posted:

lets just get all the pretensions and references out of the way and give Zack Snyder half a billion dollars to remake Excalibur then we'll never need another medieval movie because we will have created the most medieval movie.

The world isn't ready for a thing that metal.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

well to be fair, the kzinti are insane warmongers so from their point of view Reagan probably is a pretty cool guy

kzinti are mis-represented by their leadership

crazy misogyny and yeah very Reagan era in a way

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Oh, Crichton's lid was well flipped before he got to State of Fear. Ever read Disclosure (WOMEN who have SEX will DESTROY AMERICA) or Rising Sun (the JAPANESE will overrun AMERICA with their WILY TRICKS and INSCRUTABLE WAYS)? I've only seen the movie version of the latter, adapted and directed by Philip Kaufman, and I'm told it toned down the racism from the novel, much to Crichton's annoyance. It's still kind of racist.

Also, that movie's main characters are called "John Conner" and "Webster Smith" and they're played by Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes respectively, which is the laziest thing ever. I think John Conner is from the book, because Crichton wrote it with the adaptation in mind and had the idea that Connery should play the character. Of course, I believe that's fairly typical of Crichton; I'm pretty sure he'd sold the movie rights to Congo before he'd even written the book.

One last thing I was surprised to learn recently is that Crichton was also a movie director and directed the original Westworld.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Reilly is still a fun and cool author, or at least his books are, i dunno his irl politics. Scarecrow owns

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, Crichton's lid was well flipped before he got to State of Fear. Ever read Disclosure (WOMEN who have SEX will DESTROY AMERICA) or Rising Sun (the JAPANESE will overrun AMERICA with their WILY TRICKS and INSCRUTABLE WAYS)? I've only seen the movie version of the latter, adapted and directed by Philip Kaufman, and I'm told it toned down the racism from the novel, much to Crichton's annoyance. It's still kind of racist.

Also, that movie's main characters are called "John Conner" and "Webster Smith" and they're played by Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes respectively, which is the laziest thing ever. I think John Conner is from the book, because Crichton wrote it with the adaptation in mind and had the idea that Connery should play the character. Of course, I believe that's fairly typical of Crichton; I'm pretty sure he'd sold the movie rights to Congo before he'd even written the book.

One last thing I was surprised to learn recently is that Crichton was also a movie director and directed the original Westworld.

I tried not to read those or see the movies for those exact reasons.

And yeah he did the Yul Brenner WW

But he's been behind some surprisingly good things like the 13th Warrior and Theh Great Train Robbery

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's cray that his franchises outlive him.

I mean, forget JP he wrote ER

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was it Crichton who wrote his critics into his books to kill them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I believe it was to slander them as small-dicked pedophiles.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was it Crichton who wrote his critics into his books to kill them.

No, he wrote a global warming activist into the book as a tiny dicked pedophile.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, back in 2015 there was a three way race to develop a Robin Hood film.

Oh man I was wrong about that, it was actually a four way race. WB also had a Robin Hood film in the pipelines: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...o-10196087.html

The Sony film also sounded pretty .... um ..... stupid

quote:

Sony is planning a radical reinterpretation of the legend. Last year it bought a Robin Hood pitch for $1 million from Cory Goodman and Jeremy Lott which envisages Robin, Little John, Friar Tuck and Will Scarlett as an Avengers-style team of heroes from the Middle Ages.

Their story, titled simply Hood, has been described as a “high-action Fast & Furious meets Mission: Impossible-style reinvention” with Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of high-octane action movies, tipped to come on board.

Sony is understood to see Robin Hood as a “share universe” franchise, in which individual characters can be spun-off into their own films, or teamed up with other figures from the Sherwood millieu.

"Sherwood millieu" :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What every movie studio has missed when trying to create ~*~CINEMATIC UNIVERSES~*~ is the variation the MCU films have. Iron Man set the tone for the franchise, but Thor was a Shakesperean drama character in a fish-out-of-water situation, and Captain America 1 was a WWI film.

The "worst" of their films (I'm of the opinion that none of them are actually bad) are the ones that don't feel like they have their own identity. Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, and Ant-Man were all just kinda generic.

Meanwhile, the DCCU is all depressing grimdark over-serious GRAAARRAAA with the exception of Wonder Woman, which was actually allowed levity and a color pallet that wasn't completely muted (and was also a war film). Not at all coincidentally, it's the one with the best critical and audience reception.

So basically the idea of a "Robin Hood Cinematic Universe" is doomed from the start because all the character's solo films would likely be very similar.

[Edit: you know what Cinematic Universe would work that I'm surprised no one's hit on? Making a few one-off films about famous public-domain literary characters, each with different personalities and stories and settings and then--SURPRISE! A big team up movie with them all and it's actually been League of Extraordinary Gentlemen all along!]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone in the Nintendo film said it, but Super Smash Bros would be a good film universe.
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F Zero, Pikmin, Splatoon, Pokemon, the one thing you can say about them is they are all completely different.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Someone in the Nintendo film said it, but Super Smash Bros would be a good film universe.
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F Zero, Pikmin, Splatoon, Pokemon, the one thing you can say about them is they are all completely different.

I'm not debating that this would work (it totally could), but I think it's unlikely to happen. Illumination is, I think, actually a pretty good match for the Mario property, but I don't think they'd make a good Metroid or Zelda. Which isn't to say that Nintendo couldn't partner with other studios to make those films, but it would make the eventual Smash Bros team up movie nearly impossible since studios usually HATE sharing profits/IP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lelandjs posted:

I'm not debating that this would work (it totally could), but I think it's unlikely to happen. Illumination is, I think, actually a pretty good match for the Mario property, but I don't think they'd make a good Metroid or Zelda. Which isn't to say that Nintendo couldn't partner with other studios to make those films, but it would make the eventual Smash Bros team up movie nearly impossible since studios usually HATE sharing profits/IP.

Universal (desperate for s shared universe) owns Illumination and has the rights to Nintendo theme parks (currently building Super Nintendo World in Japan and Florida), so they seem like they'd be the fit for that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lelandjs posted:

CA:TFA

T:TDW

You could have just said "Captain America 1" and "Thor 2" so people don't spend 45 seconds trying to deduce what catfa and ttdw stand for

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SciFiDownBeat posted:

You could have just said "Captain America 1" and "Thor 2" so people don't spend 45 seconds trying to deduce what catfa and ttdw stand for

Noted and edited.

Universal (desperate for s shared universe) owns Illumination and has the rights to Nintendo theme parks (currently building Super Nintendo World in Japan and Florida), so they seem like they'd be the fit for that.

Oh, for some reason I thought they were their own thing. It'd still be tricky, since while Illumination would be good for Mario/Kirby/Splatoon I'm not sure how F-Zero or Metroid would be handled, I'd rather see live action personally but that would make the team-up movie... interesting.

Zelda shouldn't be made at all IMHO unless Ghibli does it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

got any sevens posted:

Reilly is still a fun and cool author, or at least his books are, i dunno his irl politics. Scarecrow owns
He’s Australian so in most of his books some Australian character is the hero and often enough the bad guys are Americans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

F-Zero would be made by the Wachowskis obviously. It would be about 4 hours long.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Chairman Capone posted:

Niven was an adviser for SDI aka Star Wars, and if you’ve read Lucifer’s Hammer you can easily tell what he and Pournelle think about Black people. 😬

Snowman_McK posted:

This was literally going to happen for years, with Peter Jackson producing, but it fell through.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Metroid is already Alien. It's a no brainier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, reportedly Microsoft refused to sign the rights to any production company that wouldn’t give them full creative control and 40% of the gross. Every company in Hollywood laughed and walked away.