Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Black Pants posted:

Take the Nihilistic Acquisition perk or the Barbaric Despoiler civic and you can do exactly that with the Raiding bombardment stance!

Yeah, but that involves going to war. I want to be the next FE that steals receives gifts by virtue of terrifying power. No need to pull the fleet out of dock, that upkeep ain't free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

If all your friends are socially maladjusted weirdos or outright sociopaths maaaaaybe you're the problem?

Our alliance is perfectly in synch!

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 4, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Black Pants posted:

In my current game I decide my new ringworld needs to be a site to store all the various races of the galaxy, just in case -ahem- something -ahem- happens to the rest of the galaxy.

Setting up L-Space as a last-ditch multicultural refugee for all species of the world in case the end-game crisis goes horribly wrong would be fantastic.

Especially if you have the option of closing down the gates again for X amount of years, sealing everything off from the normal galaxy and taking the time to rebuild for the Great Crusade Home.

Edit: Just had a friend run into something funny - are gateways supposed to remain active for the original owner if you occupy the system during a non-total war? I was under the impression that you could use them yourself or at least deny them to the enemy, but apparently they keep pumping reinforcements through the gateway into a totally-occupied system.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 4, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

Setting up L-Space as a last-ditch multicultural refugee for all species of the world in case the end-game crisis goes horribly wrong would be fantastic.

Especially if you have the option of closing down the gates again for X amount of years, sealing everything off from the normal galaxy and taking the time to rebuild for the Great Crusade Home.

Edit: Just had a friend run into something funny - are gateways supposed to remain active for the original owner if you occupy the system during a non-total war? I was under the impression that you could use them yourself or at least deny them to the enemy, but apparently they keep pumping reinforcements through the gateway into a totally-occupied system.

As soon as a gateway has been activated by anyone, anyone who's able to enter the system the gateway is in can use it. So yeah, during war they can definitely flood into whatever gateway they like within your space.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tomn posted:

You can't use gateways in other empires' territory if their borders are closed. During war the borders, naturally, aren't closed, so the system being occupied or not is probably moot.

EDIT: Maybe? Not entirely sure on this.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 4, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I think opponents being able to access gates in occupied systems is a bug, as they're meant to be big juicy strategic targets.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When at war you can't use an opponents gateway even if you've occupied the system it's in. Still have to fly around the traditional way. You can use any other gate though so long as the borders are open.

Would be nice to use an opponent's infrastructure against them but I guess it also makes sense that they would something like install an IFF transponder to make sure that doesn't happen.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Aethernet posted:

I think opponents being able to access gates in occupied systems is a bug, as they're meant to be big juicy strategic targets.

The weird part is that he's occupied the system entire and the front line has moved on but he still has to station a fleet back at the gateway otherwise they'll keep sending fleets through it. Seems a bit wacky, it means there's no downside whatsoever to putting gateways directly on your frontlines because either you're going to push into the enemy and get reinforcements pumped in as close as possible to the front, or else the enemy pushes into you and you have free reign to raid their backlines with no chance of stopping you unless they park a fleet on the gateway.

Edit: Like, I had thought it was a strategic thing where if you put a gateway right up on the borders you get a good reinforcement and response advantage, but you risk the enemy capturing the system and using it for their own benefit.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
If you still have the save, might be worth posting it on the Paradox bug forums.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

About the mod ST: new horizons.. I tried it out even if I don't know anything about star trek, finding it fun but the humans kinda suck. What should I be playing as? Of the major races the romulans seem interesting but I am not sure..

Also exploring or generally moving around feels sluggish, is that normal? It seems to take forever to even see where the colonizable planets are

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Moving around in the New Horizons mod is slow. There are techs you can research and components you can install that will increase ship speed, but they can take a while, and fleets tend to move slower than in the unmodded game.

Regarding the humans, don't give up on them. While they do sort of sick at the beginning, if you manage to successfully complete an event chain and ally with your neighbors, fun stuff will start happening, and you get access to what might well be the most powerful special mechanic in the game.

But otherwise, the Romulus are a fun choice, or for more of a challenge, the Klingons. The Dominion and Borg are also fun, but they require a different style of play.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tomn posted:

Edit: Like, I had thought it was a strategic thing where if you put a gateway right up on the borders you get a good reinforcement and response advantage, but you risk the enemy capturing the system and using it for their own benefit.

It definitely works like that if you're using a total war goal; I started to panic during the last war in heaven when the enemy empire snuck a fleet onto my border and captured one of my gates. Thankfully my shipyards were a few systems back (with their own gates) so I was able to drive him back out of my systems before he could pour through his new acquisition.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
God drat ally behavior in war is so frustrating. I bumped the difficulty up to Grand Admiral so I expected to get dumped on pretty quickly, but I had a defensive pact with an empire on the opposite side of a hostile neighbor. The neighbor (and his ally) declared war on me, and my ally just sits at home as they slowly obliterate me. I was actually winning fights, but couldn't defend on two fronts at once. If my ally had done anything at all I could have won. I don't mind getting squashed if my enemy is actually stronger, but losing like this sucks!

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Dutymode posted:

God drat ally behavior in war is so frustrating. I bumped the difficulty up to Grand Admiral so I expected to get dumped on pretty quickly, but I had a defensive pact with an empire on the opposite side of a hostile neighbor. The neighbor (and his ally) declared war on me, and my ally just sits at home as they slowly obliterate me. I was actually winning fights, but couldn't defend on two fronts at once. If my ally had done anything at all I could have won. I don't mind getting squashed if my enemy is actually stronger, but losing like this sucks!

Okay Poland.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Hmm, I am half Polish.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Moving around in the New Horizons mod is slow. There are techs you can research and components you can install that will increase ship speed, but they can take a while, and fleets tend to move slower than in the unmodded game.

In New Horizons, in an emergency, can I allow ships to override the warp speed limit? This is critical to my immersion.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
New Horizons actually has some pretty interesting ship design mechanics as compared to the base game. Every ship class has two sections, one that just has weapon slots, and the other that has slots that modify things like evasion, weapon damage, and so on. Meanwhile there's another set of slots, common to all ship types, that set power, warp speed, sublight speed, shield steength, and so on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Epicurius posted:

But otherwise, the Romulus are a fun choice, or for more of a challenge, the Klingons. The Dominion and Borg are also fun, but they require a different style of play.

Are the Borg challenging at all to play? Never tried New Horizons but it seems real tough for them not to be absolutely unstoppable in the hands of a human. Do they have an unwinnable hell war with Species 8572 to keep them occupied?

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
Kinda bummed out that for a second game in a row, the horde turned into a super power democratic state that has far more fleet power than everyone else combined.

As the Great Khan, sure, but after they turn into a regular empire, there is no way that their production should support such massive fleets. Most of them should be immediately disbanded. Seems like a pretty huge balance bug to me, as if you're playing an empire that democratic empires instinctively hate, it's pretty much game over at that point. My fleet power at max naval capacity is 5.3k, which puts me in the upper third of the pack, but this new empire has a dozen or more fleets of 17k, and a bunch of smaller ones.

FC, what do?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gekkoh posted:

Kinda bummed out that for a second game in a row, the horde turned into a super power democratic state that has far more fleet power than everyone else combined.

As the Great Khan, sure, but after they turn into a regular empire, there is no way that their production should support such massive fleets. Most of them should be immediately disbanded. Seems like a pretty huge balance bug to me, as if you're playing an empire that democratic empires instinctively hate, it's pretty much game over at that point. My fleet power at max naval capacity is 5.3k, which puts me in the upper third of the pack, but this new empire has a dozen or more fleets of 17k, and a bunch of smaller ones.

FC, what do?
The excess fleets should turn on each other as the last holdouts of the old ways fight against the new ways.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
If someone sent a raiding party to my space that is 6x the strength of my total navy, am I hosed or do they go away eventually? I don't think I like these marauding empires, especially when I basically border one

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Are the Borg challenging at all to play? Never tried New Horizons but it seems real tough for them not to be absolutely unstoppable in the hands of a human. Do they have an unwinnable hell war with Species 8572 to keep them occupied?

Borg ships are tougher than normal, they start with a 25 size megastructure in their home system (Unicomplex 1), that already has one expansion, which can be expanded further, and they get a bunch of unity and science when they take over the first few planets of a new alien race. However, the Borg also have a terrible growth rate and next to no unity generation, and they can't colonize planets. So that pretty much means you're going to have to be at war with everybody all the time, both to get traditions but also just to get population.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

If someone sent a raiding party to my space that is 6x the strength of my total navy, am I hosed or do they go away eventually? I don't think I like these marauding empires, especially when I basically border one

After bombarding a planet for a bit they will steal some resources from your stockpile and then return home. They will also blow up everything along the way, but they usually pick the closest colony to their own borders.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can fight a raider fleet, and if you give it a bloody nose they'll turn around and go home. You don't have to annihilate it, or even win.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think at 6 times the strength all that would really do is waste a bunch of your ships. But yes if you can bloody their noses they'll also back off.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Borg are fun to play as, though conquering planets as them gets increasingly annoying as unity costs skyrocket since you need to be at war and for some bizarre reason they can't bombard planets to nothingness. So you assimilate a trillion planets(very slowly as you can only do one at a time). Plus their tech tree definitely felt broken at times.
But you can easily lay waste to the Delta Quadrant. Oh, and make sure you take the tree that gives bonus unity from assimilation, it isn't optional.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Splicer posted:

The excess fleets should turn on each other as the last holdouts of the old ways fight against the new ways.

That doesn't seem to be the case if you randomly roll the "they found jesus" democratic enlightenment outcome for the horde. They form a single, democratic empire that keeps all systems they conquered, and all of the fleet power as well. It basically forms a super empire that has a massive lead in fleet power, fleet capacity and technology. Oh, plus it automatically invites everyone who surrendered to the horde into a federation. So, you get to fight all of them, too.

It pretty much makes all the other empires in the game irrelevant, as they are massively more powerful, but without the special behavior of the great khan, end game crises, or the fallen empires. I mean, the idea is a cool one, and supposedly it's the rarest outcome, but it does need to be balanced so that they don't keep all the fleets that the khan had when the khan dies.

Even just in tech, they're way ahead. No other empire is superior to me in tech, except for this one, and it's got a 20+ tech lead in all three categories.

They have yet to attack, but they hate me, and are busy claiming my systems, so I know it's coming.

(That also seems to be a bit imbalanced in general, where does the AI get all that influence to both expand and claim system after system, so that when they do go to war, they have claims on more than half your empire.)

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, and have nearly 600 hours played now, but there are some little changes that would go a long way towards making the game have a better experience. That said, the vanilla AI seems fairly decent now.

Though, federations still have some weird bugs with fleets. I found a new one just now where I had reinforced the federation fleet, while using it to fight some pirates... it lost the fight, and emergency jumped out. The ships that were heading towards it stopped in place, but after it reappeared, I couldn't get them to merge any longer. Apparently when the fleet was no longer reachable, it removed the "I'm a federation ship" tag on the incoming reinforcements.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Peachfart posted:

The Borg are fun to play as, though conquering planets as them gets increasingly annoying as unity costs skyrocket since you need to be at war and for some bizarre reason they can't bombard planets to nothingness. So you assimilate a trillion planets(very slowly as you can only do one at a time). Plus their tech tree definitely felt broken at times.
But you can easily lay waste to the Delta Quadrant. Oh, and make sure you take the tree that gives bonus unity from assimilation, it isn't optional.

The Borg have a cheap and quick megaproject that abducts a whole planet at once. You're not really supposed to be conquering them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bordering a marauder empire can get you some pretty sweet random event bonuses as long as you don't mind shoring up your borders to them -hard- in case they roll great khan.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean can't you just surrender and then wait for the event to play out? Also, I've said it before, but democratic authority is great for getting raided, rebuilding stations means completing mandates.

Good point, makes it even better if you don't mind doing that.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 5, 2018

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Black Pants posted:

Bordering a marauder empire can get you some pretty sweet random event bonuses as long as you don't mind shoring up your borders to them -hard- in case they roll great khan.

I mean can't you just surrender and then wait for the event to play out? Also, I've said it before, but democratic authority is great for getting raided, rebuilding stations means completing mandates.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean you can game the mandate system hard by deleting 4 of each station right before an election ends

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean you can game the mandate system hard by deleting 4 of each station right before an election ends

That's just lame as all hell tho. Don't do it.

Treat destroying infrastructure as a necessary action and rebuild it after wars to be a super good diplomatic kinda guy. Bringing enlightenment and what not :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gekkoh posted:

That doesn't seem to be the case if you randomly roll the "they found jesus" democratic enlightenment outcome for the horde. They form a single, democratic empire that keeps all systems they conquered, and all of the fleet power as well. It basically forms a super empire that has a massive lead in fleet power, fleet capacity and technology. Oh, plus it automatically invites everyone who surrendered to the horde into a federation. So, you get to fight all of them, too.
I meant it would be a good idea, not that that's what happens. My fault, bad communication.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a dumb thing to do, and should probably be patched vOv

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Epicurius posted:

Regarding the humans, don't give up on them. While they do sort of sick at the beginning, if you manage to successfully complete an event chain and ally with your neighbors, fun stuff will start happening, and you get access to what might well be the most powerful special mechanic in the game.

Thanks for the input. I have made some poor choices (presumably? It doesn't seem there is enough info to make good choices.. maybe it's just my lack of Star trek knowledge) in an event chain, and have a sort of crisis/threat coming at Earth and it just trampled over my lovely early game fleet obliterating it, so I should probably be restarting anyways :v:

Will give the humans another try, saving the romulans for later

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is a dumb thing to do, and should probably be patched vOv

Absolutely, I don't do that, but not sure what they should do to fix it though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Replace mandates with actually meaningful choices, like if a pacifist gets into office on a mandate to stop a war.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

Kludge fix: You can't dismantle stations, just disable them (no energy cost but no resources gained).
Proper fix:

Aethernet posted:

Replace mandates with actually meaningful choices, like if a pacifist gets into office on a mandate to stop a war.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe something other than loving 'build 4 mining stations' mandates promised at the Pan-Galactic Election of 2480. They're interesting for like the first couple of decades of an empire, and then just become annoying popups after each election, because it's always build either mining or research stations. Why not, like, 'grow the fleet by 10%' or 'fully upgrade a starbase' or 'gain income of x amount of energy credits'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The reward is always 1000 unity max, right? Probably making that proportional to the empire size would be good. Like, make it a flat 10% towards the next unity perk equivalent in unity points, or whatever.