Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This just came up on PC Gamer:
https://www.pcgamer.com/elder-scrolls-6-what-we-know/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Mages Guild is eh, although I like the structure of the first part where you have to get recommendations from each city's guildhall.

Mages Guild is very eh, but it is far better than the College of Winterhold questline in Skyrim where they put you in charge of the entire place by like your second day there. At least in Oblivion you felt like you worked your way up to archmage.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

hangedman1984 posted:

Mages Guild is very eh, but it is far better than the College of Winterhold questline in Skyrim where they put you in charge of the entire place by like your second day there. At least in Oblivion you felt like you worked your way up to archmage.

It's been a long while but couldn't you do all the quests without casting a single spell in Oblivion?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
As you can in Skyrim, sure.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I unironically think faction quests should be gated by skill and level checks, as in Morrowind. I know this would annoy many people, but it totally fits with how I play Elder Scrolls games and how I want their game world to behave / feel.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As you can in Skyrim, sure.

Pretty sure you need to cast a warding spell to get accepted into the college.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I really liked Most Is Endless Jungle :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing that really bugged me in Skyrim was that there was only one chapter of each guild. Aside from the DB or maybe the Thieves Guide, I think there should always be chapters, spread over the province. :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nth Doctor posted:

Pretty sure you need to cast a warding spell to get accepted into the college.

I've had her call several different spells for me. Sometimes firebolt, sometimes ward, once recently "fear" - she sold me the spell for 30g and I didn't have enough magica so I had to buy a loving hat to cast it - and once I had the option "would you let the dragonborn in?" and I was able to get in by using a shout.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Not much, got it

Trent Squawkbox
Sep 6, 2009
I always thought the class-based factions were strange in a game with a class-less rpg system. In a game where you're free to play anyway you want, why force players down a specific play-style for a series a quests?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You also have to cast a simple ward when you attend Magic 101 with Tolfdir.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing that really bugged me in Skyrim was that there was only one chapter of each guild. Aside from the DB or maybe the Thieves Guide, I think there should always be chapters, spread over the province. :colbert:

There used to be a Thieves Guild in every hold capital, and if you grind a lot you can restore them to an extent.

I kind of like that the College is one of a kind. Nords don't like magic at the best of times, and when it was destroyed I imagine that any further inquiry into creating franchises was stopped. I get the impression that Court mages are under heavy scrutiny.

The Companions are based around the Skyforge and the blood bowl cave, so they can't really move.

Another thing I thought of: The writing around the College and the Thieves Guild break a writing guideline pretty hard. "Is this the most important part of your character's life? If not, why aren't you showing us that?" It would have been cool to witness when Winterhold was destroyed, or when Maven Blackbriar broke the Thieves Guild (which was a force with fingers in all of Skyrim's pies), but no.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Halloween Jack posted:

This was the thing I remembered!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

https://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

this dude wrote a book about skyrim thieves guild's terribleness

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Have a decent 2013 computer that was excellent at the time. Oblivion still has weird-loading textures and such. You really have to mod it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Flinger posted:

https://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

this dude wrote a book about skyrim thieves guild's terribleness

it's a classic

quote:

Brynjolf walks up to me, a total stranger, and says, “You’ve never worked a day in your life for all that coin you’re carrying around.” This is a really screwy thing to say to an adventurer. I guess he’s supposed to be insinuating that I’m naturally a thief, but he says this to the player regardless of what gear they have or how much money they’ve got. It’s also odd because you can’t steal for a living until you join the guild, because you have no way to unload stolen goods. He’s implying you’re a thief, when by definition you can’t be one yet. So no matter who you are, he’s flat-out wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

I do a little job for him where I steal a ring from person A and slip it into the pocket of person B. I’m actually railroaded into asking why he wants me to do this. Apparently Bethesda thought everyone was too stupid to to untangle the threads of this thuddingly obvious frame-up.

I love this style of writing that only reaches its peak in video game reviews, where the writer absolutely cannot let anything go, ever, at all. The only thing that comes close is like, watching a Star War with someone who spends the entire time complaining about how space dogfights and laser sword duels ought to work.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Thieves Guild storyline in Oblivion was okay, but it was let down by the actual quest design. It has the same issue as Dark Brotherhood and Mages Guild where the first half is somewhat unique and goofy quests, then the latter half is "walk into this hostile house and kill a guy" or "walk through this narrow dungeon and kill a guy".

There's literally a dungeon with multiple doors where a frost or storm atronarch is just standing inches away from it, waiting for you to open the door. Stealth!

It's super emblematic of Bethesda's writing flaws, where they want some neat setpieces to stumble on, but have no idea how to finish them (or worse, just dont care because the ending isn't what will be mentioned in reviews and word of mouth).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 3, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yeah that line is really a terrible way to start questline. (Which is also terrible, but on your first playthrough you don't necessarily know that; I didn't.) Put me off joining the guild, eventually did it much later just to get rid of the nagging journal entries.

In Daggerfall to get recruited by the thieves' guild you had to actually steal. In Morrowind you had to seek the guild out. In Oblivion you could either be contacted by the thieves' guild after getting out of jail if you got caught for crimes, or by seeking them out and asking beggars.

In Skyrim, an rear end in a top hat recruits you, no matter what you did or look like, as part of his ill-thought plan to distract the rest of the guild while he finishes some nonsensical plans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, in the context of Skyrim, being a tomb-robber or a mercenary isn't considered an honest day's labour no matter how difficult or profitable it is.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

“Welcome to the cozy little family.”

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, in the context of Skyrim, being a tomb-robber or a mercenary isn't considered an honest day's labour no matter how difficult or profitable it is.

Maybe not a merc, but going into ancient places and taking their poo poo is a time honored tradition. As long as you're robbing the Dwemer and not someone's grandma you should be fine.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I guess he’s supposed to be insinuating that I’m naturally a thief, but he says this to the player regardless of what gear they have or how much money they’ve got.

Isn't that patently false though? Pretty sure if you hustle right on over at level 0 with 2 septim he comments on you being a sadass poorass

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I’ve only ever gotten the “Never worked a day in your life” line but I cannot say I’ve ever triggered the event without already having some adventures under my belt.

Still, given how the previous games went about it, this is still a hilariously lovely way of starting the Thieves Guild quests, and it absolutely does trip itself up since you cannot actually make money via thievery in the game mechanics before you even join.

Edit: vv I’m fairly certain that the elemental doors in Labyrinthian have appropriate scrolls placed nearby in all cases. That and the last boss throws so much anti magic crap at you that it’s almost easier to beat him as a warrior.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 3, 2018

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I think Spellbreaker counts as using a Ward for this purpose. Every mandatory spell cast can be circumvented in some way until Labyrinthian's elemental walls, afaik, and even then I think there's a way to skip those.

e: Also as much as I like to poo poo on Skyrim's questlines, do remember that you can just... pickpocket gold. Yeah it's usually chump change, and who the gently caress actually pickpockets just for gold, but you can theoretically get some okay cash before joining the Thieves' Guild.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 3, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Pickpocketing gold is fine in the beginning to get some early Pickpocket levels.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

It's me, I'm the guy who spent weeks chopping wood and farming potatoes for my gold, and I am offended at Brynjolf. gently caress that guy.

Also, consider it the fault of the writing staff who decided that it was less interesting and involving for a player to just go into a guild hall and humbly request to join a mysterious faction they know nothing about. Skyrim hamhandedly ropes you into actively trying to care by turning each one into some rite of passage, proving yourself, poo poo. The Thieves Guild insinuates that you're already an rear end in a top hat and can't wait to count some coin and screw over a Dark Elf that you could potentially be helping, the Dark Brotherhood puts you in the employ of a delusional child whose home you just broke into and rewards you by forcing you to kill a bunch of hostages, the Mage's College and Fighter's G-Companions almost hit the norm, but the Companions try to grab you early with the wild redhead fighting giants and the Mage's College, much like the "Bard's "College" " are getting pumped by every guard, merchant and bandit in town. It's all very active advertisement, which might have worked on some of us the first time, but really cheapens the experience in the long run.

Then again, we are talking about a game where less than a day's worth of questing will usually put you in full control of the entire faction.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 4, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As an aside, I ended up binging the ES wiki to catch up on what happened in Skyrim, and I thought it was interesting that all fulfilled sacraments (that aren't excessively vague) mentioned were 'justified' murders, a nice little twist in the otherwise comedically evil brotherhood. Suggests that there might be truth to Sithis being more than just a murder boogeyman.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jeff Goldblum posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who spent weeks chopping wood and farming potatoes for my gold, and I am offended at Brynjolf. gently caress that guy.

Also, consider it the fault of the writing staff who decided that it was less interesting and involving for a player to just go into a guild hall and humbly request to join a mysterious faction they know nothing about. Skyrim hamhandedly ropes you into actively trying to care by turning each one into some rite of passage, proving yourself, poo poo. The Thieves Guild insinuates that you're already an rear end in a top hat and can't wait to count some coin and screw over a Dark Elf that you could potentially be helping, the Dark Brotherhood puts you in the employ of a delusional child whose home you just broke into and rewards you by forcing you to kill a bunch of hostages, the Mage's College and Fighter's G-Companions almost hit the norm, but the Companions try to grab you early with the wild redhead fighting giants and the Mage's College, much like the "Bard's "College" " are getting pumped by every guard, merchant and bandit in town. It's all very active advertisement, which might have worked on some of us the first time, but really cheapens the experience in the long run.

Then again, we are talking about a game where less than a day's worth of questing will usually put you in full control of the entire faction.

I agree with all of this, especially the Companion's setup, making something previously special like lycanthropy into something mandatory. Cool, that kind of makes it boring after the first little while.

Same goes for running the college.

Anyway, your post is way better being read in Jeff Goldblum's voice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sithis isn't a murder god. Sithis IS NOT :lsd:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I killed the old woman. Then when I woke up in the shack I killed Astrid.
Flex like sithis

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I really wanted to believe early on that your wood chopping and potato farming had an effect besides getting you some quick coin. It would've been cool if your farming of the outskirts of Whiterun would've affected prices in town. I did a lot of mining and I felt my decision to keep the ore should've caused prices in whatever towns they're connected to to rise.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Flex like sithis

Skyrim's quests are generally balls, but giving you a little bit of a continuation after you do this was a really nice flourish. (And the fact that it's canonically compatible with the proper quest line is pretty neat as well.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Chop a few logs and you can carry enough food for six Thanksgivings out of the Bannered Mare without anyone complaining.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I really wanted to believe early on that your wood chopping and potato farming had an effect besides getting you some quick coin. It would've been cool if your farming of the outskirts of Whiterun would've affected prices in town. I did a lot of mining and I felt my decision to keep the ore should've caused prices in whatever towns they're connected to to rise.

This was actually a pretty amusing feature in Fable, somewhat; prices were dictated by quantity, with the prices lowering/raising depending on stock when the shop refreshed. You could buy all the beer forever and then cash in on it.

You could also straight up be Nero and sell a house filled with trophies, smash the door down, steal everything, and buy the house back at a lower price because its property value cratered.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Flex like sithis

My favorite is confronting Madanach. What do I want, old man? LET'S START WITH REVENGE!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

RPG's should learn from Fable.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The only thing I liked about Fable is how I could see my blonde pretty-boy turning into a bearded rear end in a top hat wizard in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Kamrat posted:

It's been a long while but couldn't you do all the quests without casting a single spell in Oblivion?

Most of them, but one of my favorite quests was the one where they send you to an Ayleid ruin that the Mage's Guild is excavating, and you have to cast certain spells in order to progress, but you have to work together with this other guy to translate bits of their language in order to figure out which spells to cast.

One good thing about going back to Oblivion after playing Skyrim: I feel like the NPCs have more satisfying reactions to you, the player. Obviously it's cool the first time somebody addresses you as The Hero of Kvatch, but what I really mean was that if you have a high Disposition rating with an NPC (through your heroic deeds, or buttering them up) then when they notice you nearby they will get a big goofy grin on their face. If you look at your character in third person then you can see your own face reacting as well, and I really missed that in Skyrim.

Worst Oblivion playthrough I ever had was one where I accidentally stole Martin's horse early in the game, and from that point on he would scowl at me whenever he saw me. I'm sorry sean bean please don't be disappointed in me any more