Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Wedge Regret
For a laugh here is the UCP of Alberta's rejected application to march in Edmonton's pride parade.

https://twitter.com/Alberta_UCP/status/992092871376289793

Note the lack of anything resembling introspection regarding how they are actually specifically helping that community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not exactly sure what argument you're trying to win re: Jamaica. The term 'primary sources' means something academically (hint: it doesn't mean perfect truth) and I acknowledge there are multiple possible interpretations on history. :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

apatheticman posted:

For a laugh here is the UCP of Alberta's rejected application to march in Edmonton's pride parade.

https://twitter.com/Alberta_UCP/status/992092871376289793

Note the lack of anything resembling introspection regarding how they are actually specifically helping that community.

We are well wishers towards the LGBTQ2S+ community, in that we don't wish you any specific harm.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
"we will tolerate you for political gain"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/invancouber/status/991809841176834048

lmao

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

We are well wishers towards the LGBTQ2S+ community, in that we don't wish you any specific harm.

Hey, we may be ugly and hate-filled, but uh... what was the third thing you said?

EDIT: And also, they do wish the LGBTQ community specific harm. Kenney opposes forcing schools to allow GSAs to be formed, and would allow teachers and administrators to out kids to their parents.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've noticed a lot of conservatives think they're basically totally good on the whole gay rights thing now because they don't explicitly wish them physical harm or imprisonment. They've met the community half way and those drat gays are now the real bigots who can't stop hating conservatives for no reason.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I've noticed a lot of conservatives think they're basically totally good on the whole gay rights thing now because they don't explicitly wish them physical harm or imprisonment.

Not out loud anyway.

Anybody who gets the chance to ask Dougie a question, make it something about libraries. I really want to hear more clips of him saying Lie-berry.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I've noticed a lot of conservatives think they're basically totally good on the whole gay rights thing now because they don't explicitly wish them physical harm or imprisonment. They've met the community half way and those drat gays are now the real bigots who can't stop hating conservatives for no reason.

The problem is that conservative ideology has pushed so far right in the last few decades that they genuinely think that "basic tolerance of the existence of homosexuals" is a centrist position rather than like, a fundamental human right. They legitimately don't understand that the fact that they consider it as "meeting halfway" IS the problem.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Also, all the people after LGB need not apply. Trans and non-binary people are the undoing of civilization.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 25, 2018

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The T stands for Tory!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

Also, all the people after LGB need not apply. Trans and non-binary people are the undoing of civilization.

Yeah that's like the "meeting half way" they're so self-congratulatory about. They pat them selves on the back and feel like they've earned so many progressive-points because they had to come to terms with their lesbian daughter and they even decided, in the name of family and tolerance, to go to her wedding. But absolutely gun down any trans person who tries to recruit my drat kids in the bathroom. Why can't I march in your parade?!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I step out of my social bubble every now and then & am reminded that trans issues are currently very far away from the mainstream & am reminded why I do so many drugs

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

this should lead to a dramatic decrease in traffic enforcement.

Lol no it won't.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why would it not lead to just having higher fines to make up for getting a smaller cut?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jason Kenney is posting memes on facebook about how the carbon tax is going to rise over time as if this is a horrible tax grab and not the entire point of a carbon tax.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

I step out of my social bubble every now and then & am reminded that trans issues are currently very far away from the mainstream & am reminded why I do so many drugs

QFT

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It’s a weird trend - the feds keep offloading expenses onto the provinces, the provinces keep offloading expenses onto the municipalities, and the municipalities, who don’t have near the revenue-generating power of big daddy 1 and big daddy 2 - resort to poo poo like this. To wit, the Regina Police Service just announced that traffic tickets are doubling. Imagine a world without income taxes but speed traps on every corner with $500 tickets per kph.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Take transit and don’t worry about it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Take transit and don’t worry about it.

Public transit tends to be one of the first things on the chopping block when they cut income taxes.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, Erin Weir got kicked outta NDP Caucus for being a massive creep.

Like, even me, when I worked in that field, heard more rumours bout him then most others.

But, he's claiming it's because he spoke to the media.
It's totally because he talked to the media, and he definitely deserved to get kicked out of caucus for what he said to the media yesterday.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Stickarts posted:

It’s a weird trend - the feds keep offloading expenses onto the provinces, the provinces keep offloading expenses onto the municipalities, and the municipalities, who don’t have near the revenue-generating power of big daddy 1 and big daddy 2 - resort to poo poo like this. To wit, the Regina Police Service just announced that traffic tickets are doubling. Imagine a world without income taxes but speed traps on every corner with $500 tickets per kph.

I'm out of the loop on this one, what have the feds been offloading on the provinces? Fuckin turkey tag costs $30 here now and I'd love to be able to blame this on Trudeau somehow.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/glenoneill/status/992196494856929280?s=21

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sure would be a shame if a whole bunch of graffiti showed up on that nice empty concrete wall of theirs.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm out of the loop on this one, what have the feds been offloading on the provinces? Fuckin turkey tag costs $30 here now and I'd love to be able to blame this on Trudeau somehow.

Don’t know if I can help you with turkey tags but

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2014/09/24/Downloading-Steamrolls-Cities/

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/commentary/fast-facts-federal-loading-hurts-us-all

There’s books and poo poo but phone posting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stickarts posted:

In an ideal world, traffic violations would have no fines attached, but you'd have a limit of 4-5 points before your license gets suspended, and every time it gets suspended, it gets suspended for a longer period of time. You get a small speeding ticket one time? No biggie, just don't do it again. Blow through a crosswalk with lights flashing because you can't be arsed to pay attention, like I saw an idiot next to me do earlier today? Well, I hope you like taking the bus for a month, you dangerous idiot!

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

In an ideal world [...]

Your example would affect the most vulnerable more than affluent drivers. And there's evidence that affluent drivers are the worst.

I'm a big fan of the Scandinavian system:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

In an ideal world, traffic violations would have no fines attached, but you'd have a limit of 4-5 points before your license gets suspended, and every time it gets suspended, it gets suspended for a longer period of time. You get a small speeding ticket one time? No biggie, just don't do it again. Blow through a crosswalk with lights flashing because you can't be arsed to pay attention, like I saw an idiot next to me do earlier today? Well, I hope you like taking the bus for a month, you dangerous idiot!

I had the best cop yesterday. I was going 120 in a 90 but it was about 200 yards from where it turns into a 100. He passed going the other way in an undercover car, nobody else around. He shot his lights on for 3 seconds, just long enough for me to accept what was coming and then he turned them off and kept going. Thanks lazy cop bro.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Your example would affect the most vulnerable more than affluent drivers. And there's evidence that affluent drivers are the worst.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

(Finland isn’t Scandinavia.)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

There's some interesting bits in that article

quote:

Casey Mulligan, a professor of economics at the University of Chicago, has valid concerns about them. “An income-based system might appear to ‘help the poor,’ but that's forgetting the victims of those crimes,” he says. He notes that income imbalances between neighborhoods could create disparities in the incidence of reckless driving. “Do we want more speeding past schools in poor neighborhoods than in rich neighborhoods?” he asks. Day-fines might make more sense in a place like Finland, where income inequality isn’t as pressing of a problem (by one measurement, at least).

I'm not sure what's he's talking about that $50 fine to a poor person is incredibly important as it's part of what they need to survive while a rich person can survive for a long rear end time on their savings.

quote:

Mulligan also points out that because some penalties involve time in custody, in court, or in jail, the system does, to an extent, mete out justice equally. “The value of the time component of a penalty is proportional to the penalized person’s value of time,” he says. In terms of earnings potential, an hour of a CEO’s time is worth a lot more than an hour of a janitor’s.

Also very incorrect unless you only think about it in terms of monetary value. An I bring dumb here or are economists the worst

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cerepol posted:

Also very incorrect unless you only think about it in terms of monetary value. An I bring dumb here or are economists the worst

Also CEOs aren’t paid by the hour, and they have functionally unlimited PTO.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

That economist is the dumbest idiot. No one's saying to have the poor pay $5 fines for speeding in school zones.

Also, yep, he doesn't understand salary vs. hourly wage.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Your example would affect the most vulnerable more than affluent drivers

How so? Right now, a non-payment of a fine because the driver cannot afford it could result in license suspension for a trivial violation like a minor speeding ticket, and getting together money to pay the ticket might make the difference in being able to put food on the table or not. By taking money out of the equation, affluent drivers are exposed to the same jeopardy as poor drivers, and enforcement isn't based on trying to get money out of people, so we'd expect a better focus on actual safety issues than writing tickets to generate revenue.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

To the surprise of no one, Alberta is full of morons.

Balance the books but don't raise my taxes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I’m with PT6A on this one. His system is harder for the poor. But that’s because all of life is harder for the poor. His idea is less hard than what we’ve got.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not to mention you have to be exceptionally not-poor to be able to afford going everywhere in a taxi anyway, so it's more or less equal for everyone who's not actually extremely rich. I'd be open to the idea of hardship licenses like people can get after DUIs, for people who absolutely must be able to drive and have no other options.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

PT6A posted:

How so? Right now, a non-payment of a fine because the driver cannot afford it could result in license suspension for a trivial violation like a minor speeding ticket, and getting together money to pay the ticket might make the difference in being able to put food on the table or not. By taking money out of the equation, affluent drivers are exposed to the same jeopardy as poor drivers, and enforcement isn't based on trying to get money out of people, so we'd expect a better focus on actual safety issues than writing tickets to generate revenue.

Because the car-driving working poor are more relying on their cars than those who could afford to Uber / a private chauffeur.

I truly get your intention, but the punishment should take into consideration its effect on the culprit.

Edit: I'm all for a better system. We can also aim for best.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Because the car-driving working poor are more relying on their cars than those who could afford to Uber / a private chauffeur.

I truly get your intention, but the punishment should take into consideration its effect on the culprit.

I agree this doesn't affect the very rich as much as anyone else, but you still have to be loaded as gently caress to afford to Uber or taxi everywhere.

EDIT: The problem with simply making the rich pay more is that it still doesn't get them off the road, and it makes it even more attractive to rely on traffic tickets as a source of revenue, which is bad. Whatever system exists should, to the maximum extent possible, remove that motivation altogether. It's not about fairness per se, it's about getting dangerous drivers off the road. Worried about losing your license? Well, start paying really close attention to crosswalks and red lights, friend!

Right now, you can be caught failing to yield at a crosswalk three times in a two year period without losing your license. Or failing to stop at a stop sign/red light FIVE times. And the penalty should you exceed that? A paltry one-month suspension. This is an insane thing. You can gently caress up so, so much before you lose your right to drive even temporarily. Fines or no fines, that's just ridiculous.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
In Manitoba if you get caught not yielding to a crosswalk 3 times in a 2 year period your yearly license renewal will cost you about $2000