Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dennis McClaren posted:

That was my first request to my Aunt, to just junk the broken central A.C. box. She doesn't want to. I guess she's under the illusion she'll actually have the central A.C. repaired someday, so she doesn't want it removed. I have no idea what's wrong with her central air.

The blacked out window and the window A.C. are all fine. She just kind of wants that side of the house covered with some "tall" landscaping.
She would spend up to, but not over $1,000 to do some exterior planting around there.

I would look into why it isn't working, because taking that condenser unit into consideration will largely define how you can landscape that area. If it is a minor repair and you want to allow it to function, you need to leave 2 to 4 feet clear around it. If the repair is impractical then you can look into removing the unit or at least disregarding it's operation and plant whatever you like wherever you like. The condenser does need the refrigerant recovered if you want to demo it, though.

lifts cats over head posted:

I just bought a house about 2 months ago and already I've had to change at least 8 lightbulbs, but all different. The previous owners had the correct watt bulbs from what I can tell and I've been replacing them with the correct bulbs. I've started keeping track of when I change them to see how long they last. At this point I'm thinking it can't be a coincidence that this many bulbs are burning out right after we bought the house. Could there be something wrong with the wiring or circuit breaker? Any suggestions on how to test this on my own without calling an electrician?

It could just be that they were all installed at the same time. Are they incandescent or CFL or LED? If they are CFL or LED then the quality might be very low and they will not last long. Dimmers can also shorten the life if you have them on those circuits. Incandescent is what it is and higher voltage will burn them brighter with a shorter life, but this is extremely unlikely and you'd probably have issues with other electronics.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I just bought a house about 2 months ago and already I've had to change at least 8 lightbulbs, but all different. The previous owners had the correct watt bulbs from what I can tell and I've been replacing them with the correct bulbs. I've started keeping track of when I change them to see how long they last. At this point I'm thinking it can't be a coincidence that this many bulbs are burning out right after we bought the house. Could there be something wrong with the wiring or circuit breaker? Any suggestions on how to test this on my own without calling an electrician?

I had this same problem with our house. It was because our old lovely breaker box was overloaded, our wiring similarly degraded, and some dimmers weren't for cfl/led bulbs. How old is your home? Can you take a picture of your breakers? Ours you could tell was overloaded because it was a 60a service with way too much stuff on it (central air for one) which would make us have a voltage drop inside the house.

Rewired the house and now our bulbs have lasted nearly 2? years and counting.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The home is about 60 years old but the breakers were replaced at some point according to the inspection, not sure off hand. I think I have more precise information at home. The bulbs have been a mix of incandescent and LED. I'll take a look at the breaker box when I get home and post a picture. Appreciate the feedback so far.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Comedy option, since it's not your house: bamboo :getin:
Chain link fence and some kudzu.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

Chain link fence and some kudzu.

Don't neglect that brick. Plant some ivy!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a balance board that I use at my standing desk at work. The surface was hard on my feet though (I get the feeling they didn't anticipate people standing on it for more than maybe a few minutes at a time), so I glued down some closed-cell foam (cut off of an old yoga mat) to the top of the board with construction adhesive. Works fine for foot fatigue, but it's shedding bits of foam off. How would y'all recommend protecting the edge of the board to stop this?

I guess if I'd thought of this in advance, I could've oversized the foam and folded it over the lip of the board, but I didn't, and I'm not sure I could cleanly remove the foam at this point. I used a lot of adhesive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I would definitely check voltage first, it could be too high or too low. Or it could just be coincidence... Generally speaking light bulbs are far more tolerant of bad voltage than anything with a circuit board.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a balance board that I use at my standing desk at work. The surface was hard on my feet though (I get the feeling they didn't anticipate people standing on it for more than maybe a few minutes at a time), so I glued down some closed-cell foam (cut off of an old yoga mat) to the top of the board with construction adhesive. Works fine for foot fatigue, but it's shedding bits of foam off. How would y'all recommend protecting the edge of the board to stop this?

I guess if I'd thought of this in advance, I could've oversized the foam and folded it over the lip of the board, but I didn't, and I'm not sure I could cleanly remove the foam at this point. I used a lot of adhesive.

Flat scraper should get 90% of it off. Beyond that, a blowtorch and ample ventilation. Don't tell CARB. :ssh:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Something like hydroturf, seadek, or gatorstep will feel goo d to your feet and not come apart like a yoga mat if you can get the glue off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

Something like hydroturf, seadek, or gatorstep will feel goo d to your feet and not come apart like a yoga mat if you can get the glue off.

That's also spending a lot of money on materials so I can cut a 20" circle out of them and then never use them again. The mat's fine except at the edges, where incidental contact is slowly eroding them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's also spending a lot of money on materials so I can cut a 20" circle out of them and then never use them again. The mat's fine except at the edges, where incidental contact is slowly eroding them.

How crummy looking is acceptable? Appropriately-sized bicycle inner tube slit and stretched around the edge?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

How crummy looking is acceptable? Appropriately-sized bicycle inner tube slit and stretched around the edge?

Yeah, that sounds like it should work. Thanks for the suggestion! Sizing is a little tricky -- tubes are sized for the wheels they fit onto, but they won't fit exactly the same way onto a balance board "rim". Seems likely a 14" tube should be close though.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Still involves removing old and cutting to fit, but less expensive: anti-fatigue floor mat

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

Still involves removing old and cutting to fit, but less expensive: anti-fatigue floor mat

How much confidence do you have that this wouldn't erode in the same fashion as the yoga mat? They're both closed-cell foam.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

I guess it depends on the yoga mat. The anti-fatigue mats I have show zero signs of wear after years of kitchen use. But with that said, I use the hydroturf on my indo board and wakeskates.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

you could try stretching a latex exercise resistance band around the perimeter

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody here have experience with casting concrete countertops? I am about to get into that for my outdoor kitchen. I have cast slabs across wider spans for my pizza oven, but the slabs were thicker and I had it reinforced on all four sides. I also didn't really have to go for appearance so it was coarse as hell. I can't get ready-made counter top mixes other than the Quikrete countertop mix, which is apparently kind of lovely. So I am ordering a tub of Counter-Flo. My local distributor--which is technically the manufacturer--recommended this mix:
Per 80# sack of Quikrete High-Strength Concrete Mix; the one that's rated for 5000 psi in 7 days.
a 50# sack of non-shrinking grout mix
one scoop of Counter Flo
5# of Portland Cement
Some white pigment; TBD

The Counter-Flo mix apparently helps reinforce the concrete

I am casting approximately 1 3/8" thick of counter top; it's a 1 1/2" cast but I have hardie panel spanning underneath it and that takes away from it. I plan to hit it up with a wet polisher afterwards, expose a bit of aggregate, and smooth it out. I don't think it adds reinforcing fibers, and I want to avoid those since they tend to poke out. if they were plexiglass (a la glass-reinforced concrete), then I'd be done with it and get a shinier finish. The mix apparently is more to facilitate the curing than to specialize the mix.

I also am still shopping around for a small reinforcing mesh. I haven't found one yet.

Has anybody dabbled in this before?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Whats a good way to drive off carpenter bees from a deck without killing them all? I dont mind bees but they hang out right on our deck stairs and my dog continuously tries to eat them.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Is there such thing as a thermostat that I can program to run the furnace blower for 15 minutes after the AC kicks off? I have a quad level ranch and the temperature between the floors doesn't come close to equalizing after the main level reaches the temperature on the thermostat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kanish posted:

Whats a good way to drive off carpenter bees from a deck without killing them all? I dont mind bees but they hang out right on our deck stairs and my dog continuously tries to eat them.
The carpenter bees you see flying around don't sting, so if they're not chewing your stairs to bits, let your dog check them out imo.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lwoodio posted:

Is there such thing as a thermostat that I can program to run the furnace blower for 15 minutes after the AC kicks off? I have a quad level ranch and the temperature between the floors doesn't come close to equalizing after the main level reaches the temperature on the thermostat.

I don’t think you can tell it to do it, but the Nest can decide to keep the fan running for a bit after the AC and furnace shut off

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lwoodio posted:

Check out the ecobee system. You can set fan to run, you can also set remote temp sensors and the unit runs based on the average of the polled sensors (works like poo poo with older thicker walls).

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody here have experience with casting concrete countertops? I am about to get into that for my outdoor kitchen. I have cast slabs across wider spans for my pizza oven, but the slabs were thicker and I had it reinforced on all four sides. I also didn't really have to go for appearance so it was coarse as hell. I can't get ready-made counter top mixes other than the Quikrete countertop mix, which is apparently kind of lovely. So I am ordering a tub of Counter-Flo. My local distributor--which is technically the manufacturer--recommended this mix:
Per 80# sack of Quikrete High-Strength Concrete Mix; the one that's rated for 5000 psi in 7 days.
a 50# sack of non-shrinking grout mix
one scoop of Counter Flo
5# of Portland Cement
Some white pigment; TBD

The Counter-Flo mix apparently helps reinforce the concrete

I am casting approximately 1 3/8" thick of counter top; it's a 1 1/2" cast but I have hardie panel spanning underneath it and that takes away from it. I plan to hit it up with a wet polisher afterwards, expose a bit of aggregate, and smooth it out. I don't think it adds reinforcing fibers, and I want to avoid those since they tend to poke out. if they were plexiglass (a la glass-reinforced concrete), then I'd be done with it and get a shinier finish. The mix apparently is more to facilitate the curing than to specialize the mix.

I also am still shopping around for a small reinforcing mesh. I haven't found one yet.

Has anybody dabbled in this before?

We used this stuff: https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com/products/countertop-products/z-liqui-crete-system

I will say that the finish we got was not terribly smooth, and would either need a bunch of wet sanding or an epoxy top. We went with epoxy, because wetsanding all the kitchen countertops once they were installed seemed like it was going to be a terrible decision.

A bunch of this was probably down to inexperience. I definitely wish we had rented a concrete vibrator, and went back more often during the cure to smooth it out.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

lwoodio posted:

Lots of programmable stuff has "circulation" mode for the fan where it will run every 15 minutes or so independent of the AC/heat. I have to do that at home during summer because of the upstairs/downstairs temp split.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

Check out the ecobee system. You can set fan to run, you can also set remote temp sensors and the unit runs based on the average of the polled sensors (works like poo poo with older thicker walls).

Nest just came out with remote sensors as well

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

lwoodio posted:

Our Honeywell thermostat also can have additional wireless units you place around the house; it averages the temperature between them to determine how long to run.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

The carpenter bees you see flying around don't sting, so if they're not chewing your stairs to bits, let your dog check them out imo.

They are digging into my deck, so they are definitely setting up shop here. I dont mind bees if they are out and about but having 2-3 hanging out by my patio table just really isnt an option.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Kanish posted:

They are digging into my deck, so they are definitely setting up shop here. I dont mind bees if they are out and about but having 2-3 hanging out by my patio table just really isnt an option.

The problem for me when I had a carpenter bee infestation in my porch stairs was the woodpeckers that came to eat the bee larva. Those birds destroyed my stairs to the point I had to get them replaced. If you don't have woodpeckers in your area, you'll be better off, but carpenter bees can still do a number on the structural integrity of wood if left to run free. I've not seen any carpenter bee traps that don't end up ultimately killing the bees. It's possible you could create a better carpenter bee attraction in another part of your yard to hopefully get them away from your deck. I've also read that certain stains or paints will deter them. But once they've gotten hold, they will keep coming back unless you are very diligent about killing off larva / plugging holes as they make them.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Kanish posted:

I've read about people with log homes singing praises for NBS-30, a "green" additive for paints/stains/sealants which appears to be a blend of essential oils and safe for people and pets. Fortunately the carpenter bees that hibernate on my property seem to move on in spring instead of making homes in my raised beds and fence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Comedy option, since it's not your house: bamboo :getin:

You’re a monster.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MrYenko posted:

You’re a monster.

Eh, clumping bamboo isn't that bad. Running bamboo on the other hand... That's a sure way to make your neighbors hate your guts.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 5, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We're in the market for a new fridge, is there a home appliance thread I missed skimming Inspect Your Gadgets?

I haven't done any research yet, but I'm assuming there are brands to avoid and brands to steer towards. I'm replacing my old "Cheapest Normal Size Fridge Home Depot Has In Stock Right Now" ( "Roper by Whirlpool" Manufactured May 2006, Model RT21LMXK009) that I bought when I moved out of my parents house. It was never very good and we're fed up with it.

Number picked out of thin air budget: $2500-3500? I don't know if this is naively low, but I also feel like $10,000 is too much.

Things we want:
* Reliable temperature control. We struggle currently with freezer burning and veggies not lasting a long time in our current fridge.
* Ice maker
* French doors (Small kitchen)
* A real warranty that isn't just to cover DOA. (Read: I want a manufacturer who stands behind their product.) Reading wirecutter makes it seem like this is a fools errand.
* Durable good. If I have to replace this thing every 5 years I'm going to strangle someone. (See above, but I'm still going to strangle someone.)
* Flexible inner space in the fridge. We cook and bake a lot, and have actual need to put a 2-tier cake in the fridge. Most everything seems to do this, but I'm putting it here for completeness. (Literally me fixing the defrost again so as not to get the birthday cake ruined overnight tonight drove us to say "enough is enough" with this fridge.) It's not a "I need a pickup truck because I bought something at home depot once that didn't fit in my sedan" situation.

Things we don't want:
* A window of "You should really clean your fridge" shame.
* IoT bullshit. I'm looking at you Samsung with your full size monitor.
* Overly complicated door-in-door setups. I never need to "just grab the milk."

Unsure on:
* drawer vs french door freezer. We both hate drawer freezers but I can't tell if I'm going to hate the french door freezer more.
* * https://www.pacificsales.com/pdp/KitchenAid-20-Cu-Ft-French-Door-Counter-Depth-Refrigerator-Black-stainless-steel/5455000
* * https://www.pacificsales.com/pdp/Sa...s-steel/4907002
* Those triple level fridges are probably silly, but the idea of setting the middle level to be a wine fridge seems fun. Not that we drink much white wine, partially due to the forethought of needing to chill it.
* * https://www.pacificsales.com/pdp/KitchenAid-25-8-Cu-Ft-5-Door-French-Door-Refrigerator-Black-stainless-steel/4956326

Don't care about :
* Door water or ice dispensing. Would rather have the inside space.

What don't I know to ask? This whole "buying durable high quality appliances" thing is new to me. Previously it was either on a budget or in a temporary housing situation where we might need to sell it to move. I know I should just get a Speed Queen when our GE Profile washer (bought for a rental condo) shits the bed, and let me tell each spin cycle is louder than the last.

Sorry for the wall of text, part of this is helping me think it through while simultaneously asking for brand suggestions.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 6, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I seem to recall people saying the black stainless finishes look terrible when they inevitably get scratched.

When our fridge kicked the bucket (came with the house and died within a few freaking months, we replaced it with an older version of this unit. It's fine in terms of space, but the drawer freezer can be annoying. I bought an upright freezer for the basement, and that was a great freaking purchase.

Good plan in not getting in-the-door stuff, by the way, since apparently that's the stuff that tends to break.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I seem to recall people saying the black stainless finishes look terrible when they inevitably get scratched.

When our fridge kicked the bucket (came with the house and died within a few freaking months, we replaced it with an older version of this unit. It's fine in terms of space, but the drawer freezer can be annoying. I bought an upright freezer for the basement, and that was a great freaking purchase.

Good plan in not getting in-the-door stuff, by the way, since apparently that's the stuff that tends to break.

Thanks. The links above are illustrative of configuration, I figure everything else is finish which you can just order.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a counter depth French door LG. I regret not getting the finish that resists fingerprints. Stainless steel cleaner or pledge is really a necessity with unfinished steel and I don't have kids or much to scratch up the fridge, but when with my wife and a roommate, smudges get ALL THE gently caress OVER IT.

Drawer freezer isn't that bad on the LG, since it's multi level. Not sure how much you freeze stuff but it might be a bit small.

Look up how much replacement water filters cost. Is nearly impossible to fine them without ice maker and water fountains, and I was blown away by how much the filters cost.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Look up how much replacement water filters cost. Is nearly impossible to fine them without ice maker and water fountains, and I was blown away by how much the filters cost.

It's highway robbery and the only alternatives are cheap chinese filters that probably don't do anything.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
GE's slate finish is remarkably easy to keep clean.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Unsure on:
* drawer vs french door freezer. We both hate drawer freezers but I can't tell if I'm going to hate the french door freezer more.

I thought "French door' usually meant one with the two upper doors, and the freezer drawer below? You mean "French door" vs "side by side" maybe?

Although it looks like Samsung and Haier have a French door configuration now with 4 doors. I definitely would prefer this to a freezer drawer I think. Seems like it would be the same thing as a side by side but with less space though?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Although it looks like Samsung and Haier have a French door configuration now with 4 doors. I definitely would prefer this to a freezer drawer I think. Seems like it would be the same thing as a side by side but with less space though?

The 4 door is what I meant. The links below the description illustrate it.

I am leaning towards the 4 door configuration w/freezer on the bottom the more I think about it. We are terrible at loading our freezer and that won't improve just because we are having to slide a drawer in, it would just make me want to murder the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

Slugworth posted:

GE's slate finish is remarkably easy to keep clean.

Just bought the fridge. It is actually a very “matte” finish and really really hard to smudge. Now I have to buy the matching stove and GE is the only company that makes the slate colour that I can get around here....