Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tesla lost Jim Keller to Intel. Wonder what that means for their custom-silicon plans. Hopefully that they’re dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Probably the wrong thread, but couldn't find a better one.

Some dude is selling a "D.I.Y Powerwall starter kit" for < $100. 120 18650 batteries, and 12 38120. A charger and board + poo poo to assemble it.
Is this a thing? What are 120 18650's good for? Is this a good way to set your house on fire while asleep?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Probably the wrong thread, but couldn't find a better one.

Some dude is selling a "D.I.Y Powerwall starter kit" for < $100. 120 18650 batteries, and 12 38120. A charger and board + poo poo to assemble it.
Is this a thing? What are 120 18650's good for? Is this a good way to set your house on fire while asleep?

There's a youtuber called jehugarcia who does all kinds of crazy diy poo poo with surplus/used 18650s, including a diy powerwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejOT7NF72E

18650 is just the physical size of the cell. The best cells are in the 3500 mAh range, these are likely to be made by companies with names you recognize. Garbage chinese ones can be under 2000. 120 new Panasonic NCR18650Bs would only give you around 1.6kwh. A legit powerwall has 896 cells.

120 NCR18650Bs would be $1200. Even 120 cheaper 18650s in surplus cell packs would be around $500 for 120 cells.

120 cells plus the powerwall hardware for under $100 would probably give you 500wh before burning you in your sleep.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

There's a youtuber called jehugarcia who does all kinds of crazy diy poo poo with surplus/used 18650s, including a diy powerwall.

18650 is just the physical size of the cell. The best cells are in the 3500 mAh range, these are likely to be made by companies with names you recognize. Garbage chinese ones can be under 2000. 120 new Panasonic NCR18650Bs would only give you around 1.6kwh. A legit powerwall has 896 cells.

120 NCR18650Bs would be $1200. Even 120 cheaper 18650s in surplus cell packs would be around $500 for 120 cells.

120 cells plus the powerwall hardware for under $100 would probably give you 500wh before burning you in your sleep.

Interesting. I checked around some more. Loads of different color batteries, so probably salvaged ones. The charger components (ISDT) seem to be good quality. My guess it's someone who got bored and the wife now hates him.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Finally got our 240v outlet installed. We were spoiled with a level 2 charger in our apartment parking spot, so it's been a little rough since we moved.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

Interesting article about electric buses. They're really catching on in China.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-23/electric-buses-are-hurting-the-oil-industry

Someone's even producing a 200kW wireless charger for buses, though there was no mention of whether China had ordered any:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/19/200-kw-wireless-charging-system-electric-buses/

Powershift posted:

There's also a Kickstarter for a construction set type thing to assemble 18650 cells into whatever size pack:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1354698863/diy-li-ion-battery-building-kit-make-your-own-1865

The end caps look like they could be easily 3D printed with decent equipment.

And speaking of burning you in your sleep: A quick Google search shows a number of sites selling 18650 size lithium iron phosphate cells (the kind that are nearly immune to thermal runaway, at the cost of somewhat lower energy density than standard Li-ion).

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I'm aware most EVs run single/dual motor with a reduction gear. Dual motors allow for higher top speeds as they can be geared independently.

So with that said, retard question alert:
Should we ever invent a transmission capable of dealing with the torque of the motor, would that bring any benefits to EVs? i.e. a 6 speed DCT like transmission. The Ioniq Hybrid has one and that allows it to cruise on EV mode at higher speeds than the equivalent Prius with its CVT, or is that just the drawbacks of the Prius transmission?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Should we ever invent a transmission capable of dealing with the torque of the motor

Not a dumb question at all. Yes you can build them, and they don't require any magic engineering. If the sudden torque at very low speed is a big problem, as it is with hard launches on fossil cars, it's easier to use fine grained torque limits in software than the overbuild the hardware. But yes, gearboxes can definitely improve the performance of an EV. Take this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHhZ9jk-DrU

In which Chris Harris is being quite annoying in not recognizing the disparities in performance when considering the full drive train package. The Tesla doesn't have a gearbox, it does the entire race in 1 gear. What would be the result of the drag race if the Porsche had to pick 1 gear and stick to it? Or what would be the result if the Tesla could swap a cog up once it starts to top out?

For normal daily drivers, it probably isn't worth the extra cost and weight. But for racers, 'Ring time beaters etc, it's definitely a big advantage. 2-speed EV boxes might be around in the future. You can build it into the diff, it doesn't need a neutral position, just a clutch locking up one pair of gears or another. That would give performance cars higher top speed, and small city cars can get away with small motors which may or may not be cheaper or more useful. Which brings me to:

Cancelbot posted:

The Ioniq Hybrid has one and that allows it to cruise on EV mode at higher speeds than the equivalent Prius with its CVT, or is that just the drawbacks of the Prius transmission?

It's probably related to the typical small motor chosen for a hybrid. The typical electric torque curve begins at or near max, then stays flat on max for about 1/3 to 1/2 the total rev range. Then it starts to drop, not a cliff but a long slope. For a low hp motor, getting deep into that slope means the remaining power quickly loses the match against the highway drag. But if you have a gearbox anyway, you give the small motor a fighting chance by letting it work highway speeds in the middle of its strong torque range.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ola posted:

2-speed EV boxes might be around in the future. You can build it into the diff, it doesn't need a neutral position, just a clutch locking up one pair of gears or another. That would give performance cars higher top speed, and small city cars can get away with small motors which may or may not be cheaper or more useful.
Custom 2-speed gearboxes are somewhat common in the EV conversion world for exactly these reasons.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The original Tesla Roadster was supposed to have a 2-speed, but they couldn't get it working correctly for whatever reason.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

The original Tesla Roadster was supposed to have a 2-speed, but they couldn't get it working correctly for whatever reason.

To be fair, they struggled with the single ratio in early model Ses as well.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
IIRC they wanted the roadster to have a first gear for strong acceleration to get attention for having a “fast” EV but they couldn’t engineer it strong enough to handle the torque loads.

I remember when they were advertising the roadster as having such strong acceleration that you couldn’t pull money off the dash if you tried, and now we have the P100D pulling >1 G from a dead start. Amazing how far things have come.

Also why the hell anyone hasn’t attempted to make an affordable sporty hybrid with an electric motor assisting a high-strung turbo 4-cylinder connected to an automated sequential manual or just straight manual transmission is beyond me. The CRZ had such promise as a concept and fell completely short, and everything else with a KERS setup is North of 100 large.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ripoff posted:

Also why the hell anyone hasn’t attempted to make an affordable sporty hybrid with an electric motor assisting a high-strung turbo 4-cylinder connected to an automated sequential manual or just straight manual transmission is beyond me.

Because there's no market for it. I mean, Ford is ending car production, people want CUVs.

It's not like they could use it as an excuse for R&D either since they would be using tried and true tech.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The A3 is like that, but since its an economy car, it's only 100hp electric plus 150 hp gas.
I guess you could call it sporty, as it feels torquey. You could put the drive train in to a light TT or something (A3 cabrio?) and it would be fun.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ripoff posted:

I remember when they were advertising the roadster as having such strong acceleration that you couldn’t pull money off the dash if you tried, and now we have the P100D pulling >1 G from a dead start. Amazing how far things have come.

That’s not actually that hard; I remember an episode of Fifth Gear where Jason Plato is testing the BMW Z4 and they did the same thing. Not even sure it was a Z4M.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Ripoff posted:

Also why the hell anyone hasn’t attempted to make an affordable sporty hybrid with an electric motor assisting a high-strung turbo 4-cylinder connected to an automated sequential manual or just straight manual transmission is beyond me. The CRZ had such promise as a concept and fell completely short, and everything else with a KERS setup is North of 100 large.

The Golf GTE exists in Europe, and the Audi A3 e-tron.

Blue plaid :3:

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 2, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Cancelbot posted:

The Golf GTE exists in Europe, and the Audi A3 e-tron.

Blue plaid :3:

The e-tron is cool, I just wish it could outrun its platform brethren, the GTI. If Audi would’ve had the guts to give it, say, a combined output of 275HP with like 300 ft-lb of torque it would’ve been an amazing machine and probably would sell a lot more units than they are now.

Also that blue plaid is great. We get such boring dreck in the US. :(

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJE3MN06USk

Sadly, it might not ever make production.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 3, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What if you want your hatch to be a bit hotter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho-miCbIr84

e: with 2-speed independent gearboxes

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I NEED THE HOTTEST HATCH, RIGHT NOW

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The other Rimac was fairly hot once Richard Hammond got done with it.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Electrify America has their planned map of CCS high speed chargers up: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Electrify America has their planned map of CCS high speed chargers up: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations

And now VW has signed a bunch more contracts for batteries, bringing their total investment to $48 billion:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/vw-doubles-electric-vehicle-battery-contracts-billion/

They're really serious about this, aren't they? It'll be fun to see what happens with them versus Tesla.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They have all these EVs planned, but where's the all electric beetle?? They could call it the lightning bug!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

They have all these EVs planned, but where's the all electric beetle?? They could call it the lightning bug!

*electric beezzle
*lighzzning bzzug

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RZA Encryption posted:

They could use this lightning bolt logo:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"We're reviving a traditional nameplate from our historied past..."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's sad that Musk is such a loudmouthed chud because Teslas are cool and beautiful. Now he's starting a candy company because he's taking a break from trolling earnings calls and feuding with labor unions and the NTSB

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Let's not forget he basically started a flamethrower company on a whim. And launched his car into space.

He's everything 8 year old me wanted to be.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

RZA Encryption posted:

Only if theres an option to have the trunk painted to glow.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Call me when my car is powered by electric eels.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

Actually, they've been considering it:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-beetle-set-go-electric-and-rear-wheel-drive

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay I got another achievement on VoltStats.

Thank you spring/summer..

I might actually end up running into engine maintenance mode again...

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

stevewm posted:

When I run errands around the city it usually is approx 39kmish. I get about 35km range. My daily commute is 10km daily. If I don't leave the city my car stays at about 0.1L / 100km and the OCD in me wishes I got a Volt so it would be at 0.0!

I love the Ford Fusion energi otherwise.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hizawk posted:

When I run errands around the city it usually is approx 39kmish. I get about 35km range. My daily commute is 10km daily. If I don't leave the city my car stays at about 0.1L / 100km and the OCD in me wishes I got a Volt so it would be at 0.0!

I love the Ford Fusion energi otherwise.

Yeah, Gen2 Volt here.. My summer range is around 60 miles/96km.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Another super-petty dislike about the Model 3: If you use the blinker starting with your hand anywhere other than on the steering wheel, you have a 50/50 chance of smacking the high beams. I can’t describe how it’s different, but it’s a lot easier to oops the brights than anything else I’ve driven. This makes me look like even more of an rear end in a top hat driver than I already am...

Content: The passenger front seat backrest adjustment switch got broken somehow, the physical switch broke off from the internals, and is a bit dangly. Called service, they ordered the part and told me it’d be about a week (which is honestly faster than I expected,) and that they’d schedule a mobile mechanic to come make the repair at home or at work, my preference.

:iia:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

stevewm posted:

Had the car for 6 weeks and only used about 1.5 gallons. 40 mile commute each way and can charge at the office. Love this thing!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hybrid owners: for as long as you've owned the car, how many trips have you done where you had to refill gas along the way? I.e. you wouldn't have been able to complete it even if you started with a full tank. Follow up question, will your next car be a battery electric?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
A3 etron, we haven't done a trip where we had to refill yet, but a full tank and battery is 700 km so probably won't make such a trip. Next will be battery, but we ordered the car in Jan 2016 so there wasn't a bolt yet. My commute is 80 km round trip and can't charge at work, and my wifes is 100 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Hybrid owners: for as long as you've owned the car, how many trips have you done where you had to refill gas along the way? I.e. you wouldn't have been able to complete it even if you started with a full tank. Follow up question, will your next car be a battery electric?

None. If I can find a cheap 40kW leaf I will buy that next.

I have however taken my minivan distances that required multiple fillups to reach because 6 people 13 hours away by van is not only easier than flying when you consider the massive amount of poo poo they want to take with them to be gone a week, but almost as fast without the TSA cavity searches and trying to haul all that stuff to the rental car to find out all they have left are 4 seat outlanders that can't even hold your luggage.

• Locked thread