Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Masaru would be a benevolent ruler, and also, not actually rule at all, he just beat everyone up and they decided to follow him and Agumon around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digi_advntr15th/status/992375889341005824?s=19

Digimon Adventure Quatro/02-2

Here we come.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hopefully unrelated to adventure.

Anyways, guess Tri ends today.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I dearly hope, but absolutely do not expect, it being Tamers-2 as per Chiaki Konaka's wishes.

It's more likely they'll just keep pushing nostalgia though because that sells.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean Konaka himself said it wasn’t likely

Best not to set yourself up for disappointment or assume Toei’s doing him dirty

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The last Tri movie's up on Crunchyroll now though I haven't actually watched it yet. Also, I got into this franchise late so I'm not sure but how long does it usually take for the next mainline series to get announced (that is, the show that will follow Appmon)?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There’s no real precedent. XW and Appmon were separated by over half a decade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

There’s no real precedent. XW and Appmon were separated by over half a decade.

Is there a particular reason why there's such a long gap between seasons as of late?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Digimon has been hard to sell as an ongoing franchise in the same way that Sentai Kamen Rider and Precure are. Appmon did pretty well and sold a fair amount of merch but they have a lot of shows going on so a follow up wasn’t ready to go immediately. But considering they’re announcing a Tri followup already and Appmon was a modest success the franchise is in a far better state than it was at the end of XW soooo...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense, I'd forgotten for a moment that Toei was the brains behind the Digimon series as well. Though when they do get around to making a new show I'm curious if they're going to continue to experiment with the formula like Appmon did (though Frontier and Savers were pretty unique as well) or do something more back to basics, honestly I'd be fine with either at this point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 4, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, probably depends on which focus tests better with Japanese 10 year olds.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Habu-san spoke a while back that traditional Digimon stuff is being targeted towards older fans and that stuff like Appmon is for the kids. That’s why most of the games and Tri have skewed older. I imagine they’ll keep on course with that.y

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Habu-san spoke a while back that traditional Digimon stuff is being targeted towards older fans and that stuff like Appmon is for the kids. That’s why most of the games and Tri have skewed older. I imagine they’ll keep on course with that.y

I wouldn't mind having the franchise semi-permanently split between stuff aimed at a lower age demographic and stuff aimed at us, the older fanbase that started with Adventure then stuck with the series.

After all, one side gave me Appmon and the other gave me Cyber Sleuth, thus both are good and should keep being good.

But the latter will be bad if we don't get Tamers 2.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Finished Digimon Adventure Tri. Movie 6 was not very good, very dreary, and more than a little dull. And we're getting more of this? Deep sigh.

Also Meiko was a godawful character and if there is a sequel (please no) I hope she's put on the same bus the 02 peeps were for this entire movie sequence. I think her character was miserably handled, I think she quickly became an absolute net negative, and I will not be sad to see her go.

If nothing else Tri made me appreciate Digimon Universe so much more. I thought Appli Monsters was good from basically minute one, and seeing it unfold beside Tri has been a really incisive rebuttal to Tri. There are so many scenes and emotional beats in Tri that were done profoundly better in Universe, right up to the heroes making a final hard choice, IE the final battle with Ordinemon vs Haru going to choose yes. Of course I didn't care about Meiko or Meikumon so I didn't feel anything about the former, but I really think Tri was quite bad on the whole.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've said my piece on Meiko and honestly, she's not even really at the forefront as much in the final movie. This was more Hikari's story in the end.

I thought it was a serviceable finale with the knowledge that they're clearly holding stuff back for a continuation. The ending more or less telegraphs that the next project is gonna be more Adventure stuff and with the stuff they revealed, I imagine it'll focus on the 02 kids.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Now, I did not give this or the last OVA a fair shot. I only saw the last "episode" of it and had the rest spoiled to me by a far more patient friend.

There are two things I disliked the most:
1) The shapeshifter villain. He is the closest thing to a proper antagonist we can actually see and he is the lamest The Joker villain this side of Jared Letto. Worst is that he is the sequel hook. I'm an optimistic person when it comes to media, I'll let things slide with too much poo poo before realizing it's just not good, so when a Tri 2 is hinted, I like to think that maybe they'll get it right, but the fact that this nobody will be the villain for the next while is just trash.
2) Their treatment of Kouji Wada. I loved the man's music. He was a great musician and all his themes for Digimon were excellent. Once again, this is not fair to the movie, but I saw the last episode and in those twenty minutes, Butter-Fly must've played four or five times. Digimon Adventure's music wasn't just Kouji Wada singing, it was mainly sick-rear end classic spanish orchestra. The final fight sequence had some fairly epic music, but it just felt like a decent track, sandwiched between layers of Butter-Fly.

Beyond that, just a regular big ol' fight against the apocalypse, a cut or three of sakuga, the most egregious usage of stock evolution footage since ever and a big ol' fart at the 02 kids. I will say, tho, Tri made me appreciate 02 more. 02 is a loving mess and less than the sum of its parts, but, there are neat parts in that pile. Tri has a couple of good scenes and that's about it.

Though that might also come because 02 made it a point that the OG Kids were stone cold killers already, while the movie's final bits is how they are super adults now that they have chosen to kill (except for kari who disagrees but will help Tai hold the knife?)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, the original chosen never had to face a situation where they basically had to put down an innocent

killing vamdemon's minions off forever in defense of life is one thing, but Meicoomon is an innocent

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

La la la, I can’t hear you, the final movie is fine and I will enjoy it when I get a chance to see it~

I know I’m wrong but I want to believe drat it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There might not have been any real payoff in tri but at least Gomamon was consistently cute.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
It's me, I'm the one who likes Meicoomon, and Meiko. That being said, the ending of tri really hammers home how they were added in to a story they didn't initially belong.

It feels almost as though they wanted to have the team pull a mercy kill on one of their partner digimon, but couldn't bring themselves to kill off an Adventure/02 partner, so the had to create Meiko and Meicoomon.

"Sorry about killing your digimon, but we still like you. We cool?" -Tai

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s not that they’d be unwilling to kill them off so much as they literally CAN’T

Unless you wanna explain that Sora or whoever got a new Piyomon in the epilogue or something

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tragedienne posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes Meicoomon, and Meiko. That being said, the ending of tri really hammers home how they were added in to a story they didn't initially belong.

I think this is at the root of my problem with Meiko, and it's a broader problem within Tri. Meico's story does not fit with Digimon Adventure as it existed, and it was not made to fit properly into where Tri took Digimon Adventure. In hindsight with Tri done (for now) Meiko is not alone. Tri to me feels really really haphazard and it actually reminds me a lot of 02 in that way. Tri wasn't nearly as disorganized and weird as 02 got later on, but both of them are sort of a tornado of themes and ideas that aren't given enough time and space. 02 felt had way too many cooks, and while Tri doesn't feel that way it still feels inconsistent. Tri had a bunch of different themes and messages, none of which were fully realized and all of which were dealt a disservice.

ArmyofMidgets described 02 as "Less than the sum of its parts" some six posts up, and I completely agree. Tri is the same way. I can see all the things Tri wanted to be, but I'm gonna say that where I'm sitting Tri isn't any of them.

Oh well. Tri apparently made a truckload of money and if that opens the doors to more good Digimon media like Appmon and Cyber Sleuth I'll say it was probably worth it on balance.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
When Not Gennai jumped into a black hole and name dropped Daemon or Diaboromon I got really annoyed.

"Remember these popular antagonists from previous seasons? Well keep buying our merch and you can see them again!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I really wanted it to be good. :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Toei strikes again, I guess. :geno:

This doesn’t invoke confidence for Crystal season 4.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, Toei is a giant company and I doubt Tri and a future Sailor Moon project would share much if any high level staff.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked it as a whole better than the individual parts. Aside from broader plot points, two bits jumped out to me. One was the explanation of astronaut Matt. That made me laugh drat hard. The second was holy moly was that a lot of blood. That surprised the heck out of me.

I wasn't overly fond of Meiko and Meicoomon but in hindsight that isn't so important. Regardless of if I liked them or not, I wanted the digidestined to succeed in saving them. Up until Nishijima died, I was wondering exactly how they would solve this. Given some of the spoiler images I saw, I assumed Omegamon ANGEL MODE would purify them or something. So it was pretty shocking for me when I realized that they weren't going to save them. Pretty bold for Tri to answer the questions the kids had with "honestly, there may not be a good answer to any of those questions. Just try your best."

Overall, pretty good. The ending part did a lot to make me like Tri overall.

Special mention for Himekawa I guess. She's amazing and I'm sad that her story wrapped up so perfectly earlier. She revives her childhood, finds it not to be the way she remembered, and then strangles it in rage. It's beautiful.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 5, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Strange Quark posted:

I mean, Toei is a giant company and I doubt Tri and a future Sailor Moon project would share much if any high level staff.

Well, one of the responsibles for tri (producer I believe?) is in charge of any future DB projects so...

Oh and seemingly that announcement

Reads like this

quote:

The Adventure evolves further...
A new project starts!

So the odds for being Adventure Quatro shot up for like 80%

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Finally got around to watching it. It wasn’t the best, but it was emotional and I enjoyed it for what it was. My thoughts about Tri pretty much line up with what’s been said already, but outside of maybe movie 4 and some questionable-at-best decisions regarding the handling of the 02 cast, I had fun with it. Its not the sequel I wanted or expected and liked what it wanted to be more than it was, but I don’t feel it was a disaster.

With fake Gennai/Ken’s identity still up in the air and him escaping, it’s obvious we’re going to get a sequel. Despite what I’ve said about Tri, I don’t really want more... but I guess I am pretty curious about that plot point.

I originally thought he’d be a Piedmon-controlled Gennai. They were answering some of the unanswered questions from the original Adventure and the black thing that got stuck in his back in the flashback is one that comes up often. But Gennai’s silhouette is in one of the capsules along with the 02 kids, and when Not-Gennai hits the self destruct, both the window with Ken’s data and another window without any legible info disappear from the screen. I got the impression he was talking their data to keep using them as avatars... but Ken made it back safely so who knows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Here's the deal on Gennai and the Dark Seed that got put into him in Adventure, that gets elaborated on in the novel version of the story.

The dark seed was put in Gennai by Piemon isn't to control him, it just causes him pain and to lose control of himself. He went to live underneath that lake in the first series as a form of meditation and to limit its effects and because the act of actually getting around is painful to him.

My guess is that the Mysterious Man is the result of Gennai splitting himself into younger copies. He made all these different versions of himself and just split off the dark seed into a separate one so he could act more freely now that humans were more aware of the Digital World. "The Mysterious Man" likely gave into the effects of the seed and became the villain of the story we were familiar with.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I would reflect on Tri now that it's over, but when you take a single story, divide it into six parts, and spread those across nearly three years it becomes difficult to look at it as a whole. That said, I did reasonably enjoy, them but when the past couple movies turned hazy in my memory when I still pretty vividly remember the original show, I can't say it had much of an impact either.

I'm surprisingly surprised, for the lack of a better term, that the movie ends with mercy-killing one of their pals. On the one hand a good chunk of the movies sets this up, with the characters having to deal with the fact they now have to consider the larger circumstances of their actions and there's only so much they can do to influence outcomes, on the other hand I am watching a cartoon about talking plush animals so I was still somehow expecting Meicoomon to make it out alive even as she got cut in half.

Gennai's entire presence kinda cheapened things for me, in retrospect. You have these two opposing, unseen, unknowable forces that nonetheless have a huge impact on the kids, and that kinda stuff usually works pretty well in stories about growing and being on the border between childhood and adulthood, and all that fun stuff. Putting faces to those forces hampers that, and while I can accept Hackmon's presence since the kids did eventually have an impact on him, Gennai did little more than mug for the camera. I feel the entire story would work better if it's just this larger system they're a part of and therefore can never fully grasp, but nonetheless had tangible negative influences on their friends and authority figures.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tragedienne posted:

It feels almost as though they wanted to have the team pull a mercy kill on one of their partner digimon, but couldn't bring themselves to kill off an Adventure/02 partner, so the had to create Meiko and Meicoomon.

"Sorry about killing your digimon, but we still like you. We cool?" -Tai

Yea this is the most glaring bit to me really.

It's so clearly there because they couldn't settle on actually pulling the trigger for a proper Digidestined to lose their partner so we just got this rando shoved into a reunion story just to take that bullet.

That said I...kinda like Tri on the whole? It's neat, they do some cool things. I had fun.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Here's the deal on Gennai and the Dark Seed that got put into him in Adventure, that gets elaborated on in the novel version of the story.

The dark seed was put in Gennai by Piemon isn't to control him, it just causes him pain and to lose control of himself. He went to live underneath that lake in the first series as a form of meditation and to limit its effects and because the act of actually getting around is painful to him.
Wait, we’re more of the novels translated? Last time I checked I think they had stopped at around the start of the Vandemon/Myotismon arc. That’s pretty cool. I liked all the little things the novelization added. The Skull Greyson scene was also way better in it from what I remember.

quote:

[spoiler]
My guess is that the Mysterious Man is the result of Gennai splitting himself into younger copies. He made all these different versions of himself and just split off the dark seed into a separate one so he could act more freely now that humans were more aware of the Digital World. "The Mysterious Man" likely gave into the effects of the seed and became the villain of the story we were familiar with.

Why’s there a Gennai in the capsules though?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the point was less "who of their digipals will DIE" and more they had to perform a mercy-killing on someone. Even if you absolutely hated the Meis (I'm always a bit surprised by the negativity surrounding them but that's a different topic), presumably you should still care about the old cast and not want that on their conscience.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And then one remembers they had no issues icing Imperialdramon despite not knowing if it was the one from their friends.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And then one remembers they had no issues icing Imperialdramon despite not knowing if it was the one from their friends.

There's one giant difference between both situations, which I just realized now, after thinking the same during that scene. Imperialdramon died in the Digital World (well, in that weird gap area, but that was likely the Digital World), so V-mon and Wormmon will come back to life eventually, but Meicoomon/Ordinemon had to be put down in the Real World. She's 100% dead, no coming back beyond another Reboot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Considering that Imperialdramon was purple, was evolving by completely different rules than they know Imperialdramon uses, and they weren’t convinced that was even the real Ken (and it wasn’t!), I think we can chalk that up to it up to them not thinking it was the same Imperialdramon.

And lo and behold it apparently wasn’t.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's one giant difference between both situations, which I just realized now, after thinking the same during that scene. Imperialdramon died in the Digital World (well, in that weird gap area, but that was likely the Digital World), so V-mon and Wormmon will come back to life eventually, but Meicoomon/Ordinemon had to be put down in the Real World. She's 100% dead, no coming back beyond another Reboot.

Still, is pretty jarring the way they don't hesitate in killing a digimon that for all intent and purposes is presented as being the same digimon of their friends and who has saved the life at least two times and yet they feel conflicted about taking care of a digimon they've know for just a couple of weeks, being perfectly aware of their status as a virus carrier and that killed another old friend of the kids right in front of them.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Why would they feel conflicted? They were told the 02 kids were safe and sound so they had no reason to think they were killing a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hypocrisy posted:

Why would they feel conflicted? They were told the 02 kids were safe and sound so they had no reason to think they were killing a friend.

They had no idea of where the 02 kids were (Ken's home was empty for example) when they fought that Imperialdramon, Imperialdramon being used by what at that point was Ken back on his Digimon Emperor schtick far as the Adventure cast knew.