Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Splatoon is not a good game for covering huge amounts of distance. It works best in the small confines of its maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Would homebrew ever be able to allow for mouse and keyboard controls in Splatoon 2? :ninja:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Could it? Yes. Will it? If someone is motivated enough, maybe.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They already have a thing that converts bitmaps into controller input that way they can have pixel-art in the whatever-you-draw-in-Splatoon-on.

I imagine full mouse + keyboard wouldn't be a huge leap from there.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Man, I'm hoping Switch gets good PSP emulation for it. I want to play SoTN through Dracula X Chronicles on my Switch. Also, Peace Walker.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MohShuvuu posted:

Would homebrew ever be able to allow for mouse and keyboard controls in Splatoon 2? :ninja:

You can already do that, it was done with DOOM months ago with just an adapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjbWJ_VHFs&t=172s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
if a game supports gyro aiming, you would just have to create an adapter that converts your mouse into gyro inputs.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

WiiU is still the best value in hackable gaming nowadays and you can even play Breath of the Wild on it. Thanks, Haxchi!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like the WiiU would be the same as the Wii for me. I don't really care about any of the games released for it, but it's a good machine to play older games.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

darth_pizza posted:

WiiU is still the best value in hackable gaming nowadays and you can even play Breath of the Wild on it. Thanks, Haxchi!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I I installed Dragon Quest XI to my 2DS. The download included a .dat file and a notepad instruction saying that I needed to put the .dat into the FBI seed folder on my SD card. I searched my SD card and couldn't find that folder. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: I figured it out. Was literally just make an FBI>seed folder and put it in there. And now if I knew better Japanese.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Wrist Watch posted:

If homebrew takes off and we get some good emulators, should consoles get banned for it I might just buy a second Switch for the sole purpose of homebrew and keep my current one for normal use/online play. A dedicated emulation machine with this form factor that I can play on my tv or pick up and use anywhere is incredibly appealing to me.

Yeah I just bought a second switch off Ebay for this exact purpose. It came with 4.0.1 firmware out of the box, so I appear to be in good shape.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Homebrew launcher released for... 5.0.X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtAcOnRgJNI

and it's loading from sd in the video but isn't possible yet

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 9, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Amazing. Makes me very hopeful for a 4.0.1 softmod or at least untethered mod when Atmosphere launches.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lord Frisk posted:

There's also this for pro controllers. https://www.hollar.com/products/nintendo-wii-u-wired-fight-pad-link

I prefer the Hori version, but you cant beat $6.

Extended testing report:

This is a spot on accessory for N64 emulation, and feels like the logical choice should you play a lot of 64 games. The shoulder L and R are still dumb (given the long throw until register) but aren't as annoying by as I thought they'd be. The d pad is smaller than it should be, but it's functional (just like the GameCube). All in all, I'd say the downsides aren't as glaring as I thought they'd be. Still totally worth $6, and a top pick (maybe better than the Hori pad) for pure N64 play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: Figured it out. Need to download manually since the auto updater broke.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 10, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

Extended testing report:

This is a spot on accessory for N64 emulation, and feels like the logical choice should you play a lot of 64 games. The shoulder L and R are still dumb (given the long throw until register) but aren't as annoying by as I thought they'd be. The d pad is smaller than it should be, but it's functional (just like the GameCube). All in all, I'd say the downsides aren't as glaring as I thought they'd be. Still totally worth $6, and a top pick (maybe better than the Hori pad) for pure N64 play.

Does it really need to plug into a WiiMote, or would a GC adapter work?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If they make a wiimote to GameCube port adapter, it would work, but the cord is only like four feet. It definitely needs to be plugged into a power source, because there are no batteries in the controller itself.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Getting a Wii U from a friend for $50

Guessing emulator support is pretty good?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

E2M2 posted:

That is a screaming-good deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E2M2 posted:

Don’t pass on that deal.

Yes, the Wii U is a good emulator box. Also it has good games, you know.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Fantastic deal. yes you can get good emulators running on it like gamecube. Get a pro controller and play Metroid Prime in widescreen. :perfect:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Wait, you can get Gamecube emulators running? linx plz

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Wait, you can get Gamecube emulators running? linx plz

Nintendont.

It's not even emulation, it's straight-up running on hardware because all the important GC stuff is still inside Wii and Wii U hardware. Nintendont will let you map virtual memory cards and use controllers other than official GC ones.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Awesome, I will check that out when I get home.

Related question: for roms like the GC above or N64 injections and such, do I need to put them on the SD card, or an external hard drive? I don't remember seeing anything that clarified that for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shadow225 posted:

Awesome, I will check that out when I get home.

Related question: for roms like the GC above or N64 injections and such, do I need to put them on the SD card, or an external hard drive? I don't remember seeing anything that clarified that for me.

I believe you can do either but a hard drive would be a better idea.

Nintendont is magic. Being able to play GC games natively over an HDMI connection loving owns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

univbee posted:

Nintendont.

It's not even emulation, it's straight-up running on hardware because all the important GC stuff is still inside Wii and Wii U hardware. Nintendont will let you map virtual memory cards and use controllers other than official GC ones.

I was literally about to ask what the best way to play Paper Mario:TTYD was, with not having any GC controllers. Thanks!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was literally about to ask what the best way to play Paper Mario:TTYD was, with not having any GC controllers. Thanks!

Yeah this is still probably a better option since Dolphin has one or two problems with TTYD still, I think.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just want to say that I am extremely thankful that you fellas answer our stupid questions :shobon:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Is there a way to launch Nintendont directly from the Wii U menu without losing real GC controller support via the USB adapter?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Keito posted:

Is there a way to launch Nintendont directly from the Wii U menu without losing real GC controller support via the USB adapter?

It should work with the GC controller adapter regardless unless it's the Mayflash 2 controller adapter which does not work for some reason per random posts on gbatemp. The official adapter and the Mayflash 4 controller adapter work fine with nintendont

edit: like the reason nintendont works with the wii u pro controller and gc controller adapter and stuff is because they put drivers into the nintendont app for all of that stuff. I'm guessing the Mayflash 2 port adapter is just different enough to cause problems/not work right.

They also coded usb hid support so you can use other controllers (ps3, ps4, handful of logitech gamepads, 360 wired, 360 with the pc wireless adapter only. 360 wired won't work, etc) but you have to set the buttons up yourself like in an emulator.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 10, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nintendont isn't intended to be used as a launcher. I don't know about WiiU, but USB Loader GX on Wii hooks into Nintendont to launch games directly.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Keito posted:

There's a program called Wii U USB Helper that lets you boot gamecube roms from the Wii U menu directly without having to go through Nintendont/wii menu.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendont isn't intended to be used as a launcher. I don't know about WiiU, but USB Loader GX on Wii hooks into Nintendont to launch games directly.

Right this is also true. Nintendont is intended to be used by the usbloaders though wii flow and cfg loader need forked versions. The regular releases don't work

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

There's a program called Wii U USB Helper that lets you boot gamecube roms from the Wii U menu directly without having to go through Nintendont/wii menu.

This also exists but the person that created it isn't developing the software anymore and if you were on the latest version you get this message and can't use the program.

edit: If you had installed an older version and had not updated yet, it still works fine

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 10, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Does Nintendon't stream GC games to the Gamepad?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

No. But if you use the wii u usb helper program it does.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Yes but you gotta jump through some hoops and set up a Wii U VC forwarder and use a modified boot.dol and that's beyond me/I've never tried it.

It doesn't seem too terribly hard but I'm not sure if you can use usbloaders to run nintendont too, probably have to run nintendont without the loaders which limits you to playing games via the SD Card on your wii u which will probably give longer load times compared to a usb hdd.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-on-wii-u-virtual-console-injecting-games.483007/page-59#post-7579163

Alternatively like yeah you can create per game Gamecube Wii U VC forwarders with wii u usb helper and that should also work/you can do it without wii u usb helper but it's slightly involved.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 10, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ah ok. Thanks for the answers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's still no way to use the WiiU tablet's actual buttons in Gamecube mode, right? I remember GBAtemp trying to work on it like a year ago but I don't think anything ever came from it. Pretty funny you can stream Gamecube video and soundfeeds to the WiiU tablet while using a PS3 controller to play it, but you can't use the actual buttons on the WiiU tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

This stuff is the gamepad fully working, I believe/if a video of when it was first figured out is to believed.