Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I play Audioshield because it supports my old ska collection, including the SLM/Mustard Plug poo poo that isn't on YouTube for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And yes, saying a rhythm game will get flooded with a sea of lovely J-Pop and anime OP's/ED's is like saying water is wet.

After googling the soundtrack, anisons would be an infinite improvement. I think I'll pass until there's custom songs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paingod556 posted:

I wish I saved the video of the monstrosity I built on an AR- it had about 5 lasers, 2 tac lights, 3 reflex sights, 4 scopes, and a good number of flags. When I used the CMAG drum, all the ejected casings got caught between it and the scopes.

Also you need more christmas lights

Having actually fiddled with the tac-rail attachments now, I really wish you could save weapon presets instead of having to spawn and assemble them anew each time. And a little disappointed that there's no underslung attachments for rifles like grenade launchers or shotguns.

Also noted for the next time I play. :science:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've never golfed in my life but I like Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo so I just tried The Golf Club VR and it's really cool. I want to try using my protube to add some weight to my controller so it feels like I'm swinging a golf club but it seems kind of long and like a good way to poke some holes in my walls or family members.

Anyone here tried this game?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having actually fiddled with the tac-rail attachments now, I really wish you could save weapon presets instead of having to spawn and assemble them anew each time.

That is a feature tucked into the item spawner. You put your finished weapon on the table and there's an option to save it in the top right corner I wanna say.

edit: stolen from reddit

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I decided to get the windows 10 april update early and I have to say vibration feedback on wmr controllers is very nice to have. it feels pretty subtle compared to what your arms are doing in, say, boxvr but it's way better than the previous absence.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Truga posted:

Does it have any good music though? I'm a dumb old fashioned person who mostly listens to poo poo like punk and ska and ancient pop music and I really don't like these games enough to enjoy them unless I get to listen to good music while at it. :v:
I find only one of the songs actually listenable (Escape) in its own right. Still love the game, the mechanics are just so good, and the different modes provide respectable gameplay variety if you're not into beating the crap out of individual songs over and over.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I play Audioshield because it supports my old ska collection, including the SLM/Mustard Plug poo poo that isn't on YouTube for some reason.
You're missing out; audioshield is tedious in comparison. Here's hoping the eventual custom beatmap support isn't some dumb cloud-based youtube integration thing instead of osu-style self-contained redistributable beatmaps, though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who listens to ska, lmao

Guess I should have used a emote or something :j:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Boxvr imo is more rewarding hitting notes. And you can use your music. And the mapping is objectively better than audioshield in general.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Beat Saber is the first game to make me actually almost throw my controllers. Good thing I upgraded to post-class-action wii wrist straps!

EbolaIvory posted:

And the mapping is objectively better than audioshield in general.
"objectively better?" By what standard quantitative metric?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The OST for Beat Saber definitely isn't very good if you're not a fan of the type of music, I think. There's only 2 tracks I really like, the rest are pretty disappointing. There's even 2 tracks back to back that sound almost identical to me from the preview.
It's still fun to play, especially after someone mentioned the scoring takes into account the speed/force of the slash as well, improved my highscore on one of the songs by at least 1/3. Hope new tracks come soon.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Taintrunner posted:

That is a feature tucked into the item spawner. You put your finished weapon on the table and there's an option to save it in the top right corner I wanna say.

edit: stolen from reddit

:wink:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hellsau posted:

just lol if you can't accurately thrust in various directions

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Beat Saber's tracks are really well mapped, there's a logical way to move and the slashes flow into each other really well. BoxVR works well for the same reason. Opening creation up to the community would definitely increase the amount of tracks but 99% of mappings would probably be Soundboxing-level trash (but worse given the directional thing).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wyoak posted:

Beat Saber's tracks are really well mapped, there's a logical way to move and the slashes flow into each other really well. BoxVR works well for the same reason. Opening creation up to the community would definitely increase the amount of tracks but 99% of mappings would probably be Soundboxing-level trash (but worse given the directional thing).

This is why I was hoping they'd use BoxVR's algorithm or something similar, it's really really good at generating beatmaps that don't suck.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

Yeah, as much as I'm excited for more tracks in the game, I have zero confidence in the userbase's ability to make well designed beat maps. Also any beatmaps that are possible to complete by anyone that isn't expertly skilled at the game. If osu is any indication, most beatmaps will be jumbled messes intended to purposefully be awkward and annoying to complete.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Really like how the background shifts to accommodate the vibe of each song. There's a lot of polish in this product that makes it so satisfying to play, I get severe Thumper vibes while slamming those cubes. I know the two games aren't really comparable, but for sheer atmosphere and how tight the games feel they're very close runners.

I also hope they make a marathon option like REZ where you can just play all the levels without stopping so I can die when my arms split from my body and the strain on my muscles rends me asunder

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah, as much as I'm excited for more tracks in the game, I have zero confidence in the userbase's ability to make well designed beat maps. Also any beatmaps that are possible to complete by anyone that isn't expertly skilled at the game. If osu is any indication, most beatmaps will be jumbled messes intended to purposefully be awkward and annoying to complete.

The screenshots from the tools they were using to make the default maps are so simple looking that I'd be totally shocked if good maps are hard to find when and if they allow users to generate them.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is why I was hoping they'd use BoxVR's algorithm or something similar, it's really really good at generating beatmaps that don't suck.

BoxVR really does a good job. Very few tracks I throw at it map poorly. Most of the time its some lovely metal song that would suck to workout to anyways. its gotta have a beat, if not good luck. Same poo poo in all automap games though.

Ralith posted:

Side by side load up songs. Play them. If you don't feel the same way I'd be shocked. Its not that audio shield is bad, in fact if you just wanna load your own poo poo and "feel like a bad rear end" its still the game Id recommend. But if you want to punch notes that actually make sense to a beat get boxvr.

Basically my "metric" is by the collective that have played both, and used the same music in both. People who basically play nothing but rhythm games and high score chasing assholes who nitpick things like beatmaps. SO comparing a song side by side in both games, general consensus among the group is Box is better. Again Audio Shield isnt garbage or anything. Its still def 2nd best for auto gen. Just, box beats it is all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ralith posted:

For some reason, "objectively" has caught on as a magical "I win the argument" word. "Hey man, we both have opinions, but mine is objective because, uhh, I think it."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

For some reason, "objectively" has caught on as a magical "I win the argument" word. "Hey man, we both have opinions, but mine is objective because, uhh, I think it."

Not sure how looking at something with an open mind and comparing them is a "I win the argument" word.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Not sure how looking at something with an open mind and comparing them is a "I win the argument" word.

If your basis is an opinion, that makes it subjective rather than objective. "I asked 10 experts and they all agreed they like this one better" is still subjective, as expert opinions are still just opinions. For something to be objective you would need to have some sort of data, such that a comparison of the data can only ever yield a single outcome. You can objectively compare FoV between VR headsets, but you cannot objectively compare which is more comfortable to wear and use, as it's possible someone genuinely feels differently.

It's just people using words incorrectly.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

ob·jec·tive·ly

əbˈjektivlē,äbˈjektivlē/

adverb

in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

It's an, "I win the argument" word because it implies that in forming your opinion you've set aside all personal preference, taste and bias, and determined that your opinion is actually based on facts and data that are not at all swayed by subjective factors. When you state that your preference is "objectively" better, you're essentially saying that people who disagree with your opinion are only doing so because they've yet to process the irrefutable facts that would lead them to agree with you about the VR note hitting game.

It's okay to have an opinion and acknowledge that said opinion is influenced by your preferences. When my wife dislikes a video game that I think is an all-time classic, I don't say, "but honey, this game is objectively great," because that's not what "objectively" means.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Demicol posted:

There's even 2 tracks back to back that sound almost identical to me from the preview.

Country Rounds and Commercial Pumping? Unfortunate clips to pick for the preview, but they don't sound nearly as alike if you play them through. I'll admit the OST for this is my jam, every track is pretty great to me. If you don't like EDM you probably won't like it.

Been playing the dot mode a lot, finished everything on Hard, then I got everything to a B rank yesterday. Now I'm consistently getting A rank. Expert is pretty tough, there's a lot of quick sections that have very close notes that are tricky to clip out without hitting a bunch of the others.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I'm more hopeful for future content in Beat Saber created by the devs as opposed to custom maps, to be honest.

They have shown that they can put out quality content, I hope that officially mapped songs continue to come out on a regular basis and that they don't just throw out the editor and say "have at it!"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Alpha Phoenix posted:

ob·jec·tive·ly

əbˈjektivlē,äbˈjektivlē/

adverb

in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.

Thanks for googling things for the class.

synonyms: impartially, without bias, without prejudice, evenhandedly, dispassionately, detachedly, equitably, fairly, justly, open-mindedly, with an open mind

GaylordButts posted:

If your basis is an opinion, that makes it subjective rather than objective. "I asked 10 experts and they all agreed they like this one better" is still subjective, as expert opinions are still just opinions. For something to be objective you would need to have some sort of data, such that a comparison of the data can only ever yield a single outcome. You can objectively compare FoV between VR headsets, but you cannot objectively compare which is more comfortable to wear and use, as it's possible someone genuinely feels differently.

It's just people using words incorrectly.

Right but does it become subjective simply because the person or people comparing them are using what they understand about music games, and not personal feelings? Because if you're keeping out bias, which again, is the issue with being objective, then you'd still come to the conclusion its better based on the info presented to you without a personal bias? Correct?

I'd agree subjective could be used, but I chose objective specifically because when we've discussed this poo poo, we're not talking about our personal feelings. We're looking at how the maps were made, how they actually played when compared to say the actual beat of the song, and how well it did on both platforms when spitting out the output, On top of things like consistency. Because at the end of the day, what matters in a beat map game is how the song lines up with the map itself right?

But keep nitpicking my posts I guess guys. :)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Right but does it become subjective simply because the person or people comparing them are using what they understand about music games, and not personal feelings? Because if you're keeping out bias, which again, is the issue with being objective, then you'd still come to the conclusion its better based on the info presented to you without a personal bias? Correct?

I'd agree subjective could be used, but I chose objective specifically because when we've discussed this poo poo, we're not talking about our personal feelings. We're looking at how the maps were made, how they actually played when compared to say the actual beat of the song, and how well it did on both platforms when spitting out the output, On top of things like consistency. Because at the end of the day, what matters in a beat map game is how the song lines up with the map itself right?

But keep nitpicking my posts I guess guys. :)

It's okay for people to disagree with you about the video game. Please stop being weird.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Grabbed my fan and put it in front of me while playing Sound Boxing.

10/10 decision.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

This is objectively the worst derail of this thread.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

:alexa:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Shine posted:

It's okay for people to disagree with you about the video game. Please stop being weird.

It's EbolaIvory. The fun never stops.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's EbolaIvory. The fun never stops.

I'm a fun guy.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Objectively the best post about it.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Grabbed my fan and put it in front of me while playing Sound Boxing.

10/10 decision.

100%

The Hurricane wallmount ones are AWESOME for VR stuff like soundboxing. Highly recommend for anyone who don't have floorspace to mess with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

EbolaIvory posted:

\We're looking at how the maps were made, how they actually played when compared to say the actual beat of the song, and how well it did on both platforms when spitting out the output

None of these things are measurable objectively.

And no, this is way better than IPD chat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I like Payday 2 chat. Turtling a tight hallway and poking your gun around the corner to spray and pray is hella satisfying. Still WMR SteamVR thumbstick support gets sorted out in the near future, but dashing about isn't awful.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Beat Saber is objectively fun as hell and when the songs end I wish they would keep going for longer.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
God drat Balearic Pumping on hard is harder than some songs on expert to me, what the hell

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
that's another thing the game does really well, the difficultly increases as you move down the playlist in a really logical and fair way

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there a VR game/app in which you can observe a horse? Nothing sexual

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

smoobles posted:

Is there a VR game/app in which you can observe a horse? Nothing sexual

Mike Pence would like a word with you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skyrim + realistic horse penis mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

wyoak posted:

that's another thing the game does really well, the difficultly increases as you move down the playlist in a really logical and fair way
This was an unpleasant surprise when I got sick of unmelodic thumping noises and skipped around a bit. Ultimately a very good thing, of course.