Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's your go-to GoW snacks? I'm planning my weekend and need to pick up some serious gamer treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Housh posted:

What's your go-to GoW snacks? I'm planning my weekend and need to pick up some serious gamer treats.

Pickled salmon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah the “for the lulz” GBS-style thread titles are funny maybe once but it’s also kind of annoying when you just want to find a specific game thread

This is the current GOW thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854721&perpage=40&pagenumber=54

Currently thread title is “MOGR.” Which if I thought about it long enough I could draw a GOW connection, probably not...

Before that it was a literal area code

It was 801 which looks like "Boi" and they sure are running that meme into the ground

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ok yeah I would have never drawn that connection

I get my boi meme fills off fb

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are Yakuza games mostly cobbled together assets from previous games? I'm just trying to figure out how they put out like 5 of them a year.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It was 801 which looks like "Boi" and they sure are running that meme into the ground

Yeah wow the internet really ran that one into the ground quick. It wasn't even that funny to begin with. Yeah, he calls his son "boy" hoho hehe lets just say that loving constantly until it actually starts to annoy you in the game and it's not even the games fault.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 4, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Housh posted:

Get yourself into the duality of Kratos with a Blue Icee and some Flaming Hot Cheetos

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

Are Yakuza games mostly cobbled together assets from previous games? I'm just trying to figure out how they put out like 5 of them a year.

They dont.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Basically, yeah, until 6 which has a new engine. The mini games have been designed and refined over the course of years, so it’s easy to use them across multiple games. Because 6 is on a new engine there are not as many mini games, but Kiwami 2 will have them because the devs have had more time.

Edit: also the usual pace is one Yakuza game every 18-24 months

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Exactly, they just take 3-4 years after the Japanese release to even think about translating them for the West, and suddenly Sega decided to do it and now we're getting like 8 years' worth of Yakuza titles released in the space of a year over here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Morby posted:

Basically, yeah, until 6 which has a new engine. The mini games have been designed and refined over the course of years, so it’s easy to use them across multiple games. Because 6 is on a new engine there are not as many mini games, but Kiwami 2 will have them because the devs have had more time.

Edit: also the usual pace is one Yakuza game every 18-24 months

ah. I just noticed there has been 3 in the last year with another coming up. That's a crazy release cycle.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

Pickled salmon.
I'm grilling up some salmon for dinner. What sort of drink would you suggest to pair?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Get yourself into the duality of Kratos with a Blue Icee and some Flaming Hot Cheetos
Now we're talkin.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can I not fish in GOW

did I miss that part so far

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

ah. I just noticed there has been 3 in the last year with another coming up. That's a crazy release cycle.

The pace of localization is not the pace of dev

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah wow the internet really ran that one into the ground quick. It wasn't even that funny to begin with. Yeah, he calls his son "boy" hoho hehe lets just say that loving constantly until it actually starts to annoy you in the game and it's not even the games fault.

leave it to internet fandom to gently caress good things up

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How about a LaBatt Blue and a Flaming Moe

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah new Yakuza fans are going to be hosed after Kiwami 2 because we'll likely be in for a big rear end drought for awhile after that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Yeah new Yakuza fans are going to be hosed after Kiwami 2 because we'll likely be in for a big rear end drought for awhile after that.

We'll maybe get the fotns game and then 7 wont be far behind sega wont let their yearly franchise lie fallow too long

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Anybody got some specific experience with improving their performance for remote play to the PC/OSX app? I've tried setting things up for port forwarding to the various ports Sony laid out, but I'm only getting middling results.

PS4 is connected by ethernet, etc.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I gave the Detroit demo a try and...wow. Not sure if I will pick up the full game, but it was interesting to play through.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Boy, you need to chill

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fix posted:

Anybody got some specific experience with improving their performance for remote play to the PC/OSX app? I've tried setting things up for port forwarding to the various ports Sony laid out, but I'm only getting middling results.

PS4 is connected by ethernet, etc.

Make sure to go into the Preferences for the application and set the streaming to higher quality/frame rate, wired is better than wireless on both ends for latency reasons, and manually connecting the console instead of letting it scan sometimes helps too. It’s finicky though, no doubt.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Housh posted:

Whiskey.

I messaged my brother last night because I saw him playing and he said:

"I've been coming home from work and drinking scotch for dinner and playing. Having a blast but sometimes don't know wtf is going on."

Turns out we've been doing the same thing, although I usually only take a few swigs, so I'm keeping up with the story pretty well.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just bought a PS4 for Yakuza 0 and Majima's intro is worth the price of a new console.

I really loved Yakuza 0, but I don’t think it ever matches the complete insanity of that scene again

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Morby posted:

I gave the Detroit demo a try and...wow. Not sure if I will pick up the full game, but it was interesting to play through.

It is so painfully David Cage from the very first second.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

Housh posted:

I'm grilling up some salmon for dinner. What sort of drink would you suggest to pair?
Mead, of course.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Which wine goes with fish

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

caldrax posted:

Whiskey.

I messaged my brother last night because I saw him playing and he said:

"I've been coming home from work and drinking scotch for dinner and playing. Having a blast but sometimes don't know wtf is going on."

Turns out we've been doing the same thing, although I usually only take a few swigs, so I'm keeping up with the story pretty well.
I got half a bottle of Oban 14 to polish off. Cheers to you and your bro.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Which wine goes with fish
Usually oaky whites, I think.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hate oaky white wine idk why california gotta do me like that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

White wine is scum drink

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Vanilla coke pairs with salmon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah the “for the lulz” GBS-style thread titles are funny maybe once but it’s also kind of annoying when you just want to find a specific game thread

This is the current GOW thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854721&perpage=40&pagenumber=54

Currently thread title is “MOGR.” Which if I thought about it long enough I could draw a GOW connection, probably not...

Before that it was a literal area code

Thanks. MOGR totally makes me think of GoW or God of War. Pretty stupid.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Housh posted:

I just suck nutrients out of my beard.

veni veni veni posted:

this is the nature of memes. I've never understood why so many people think it's funny to repeat the same joke a billion times, but i figure it's just because i'm old and grumpy.

Finished GoW yesterday. Good game. I don't really consider it an all time classic, mainly due to it not being original enough. It's a technical marvel tough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone mad about Boi memes needs to take a hot shower and go the gently caress outside hth

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

JBP posted:

Vanilla coke pairs with salmon.

Is this still sold at all btw or at niche shops? Beyond places adding the vanilla themselves

Whenever I see Cherry coke I gotta buy some since it’s not very common at all

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think GOW is now tied with BB as my favorite game this gen. Its loving fantastic

Just feels and looks better than HZD imo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
next up: asian/pan-pacific GOW

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think HZD has better lighting overall. That stuff is magical.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ex post facho posted:

I think GOW is now tied with BB as my favorite game this gen. Its loving fantastic

Just feels and looks better than HZD imo

It’s kinda funny how much a lot of us dismissed it at first, especially with the whole boi angle. Thinking back to the original posts about concept art over the last few years. I tried the GOW 3 PS4 remaster and turned it off after 10 minutes.

I said gently caress it I’ll just buy it when it’s $30 on sale but all the reviews convinced me and I ended up with the collectors edition which has a loving DOPE statue, let me tell you. The cloth map is cool too. I’m like 12+ hours in and I feel like I barely started

what a game indeed. Thanks 4 reading

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyone mad about Boi memes needs to take a hot shower and go the gently caress outside hth

Stay your tongue boi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mocap / animation on the Witch of the Woods is the best I've ever seen in a game. It's soooooo good.