Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey who wants a Mox Amber list for Modern?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1071682#paper

1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Arid Mesa
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Dismember
1 Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
1 Figure of Destiny
1 Flooded Strand
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Inspiring Vantage
3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
1 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Lightning Helix
2 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
4 Mox Amber
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Plains
3 Sacred Foundry
2 Smuggler's Copter
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Windswept Heath
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
//sideboard
3 Blood Moon
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
3 Chained to the Rocks
1 Dusk // Dawn
1 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Rest in Peace
2 Shattering Spree
:eyepop:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 2, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

C-Euro posted:

Hey who wants a Mox Amber list for Modern?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1071682#paper
:eyepop:

I don't think this is playable but I'm willing to go find out

edit: okay I just beat some random UB control deck that didn't do much besides play some discard and removal and snapcasters. it doesn't seem awful. mox amber didn't do much, but was in some cases the best discard target. Kari Zev is pretty hilarious, and won me a game. That seems real good with Anafenza; too bad there's no playable tutors here.

the jund matchup seems likely to be p bad

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 2, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Years ago my older brother ripped a Gaea's Cradle, and when he quit the game he gave it to me along with the rest of his collection. I sold it recently and asked him what he guessed they went for these days. "Oh dang! 15 bucks?" :classiclol:

Now I can justify buying a volcanic for legacy, even though I rarely get to play, because it's I can kinda convince myself I'm basically just trading for it instead of throwing a profit right back into the hobby.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I finally have a chance to go to Modern FNM, and at my usual store which I haven't been to in a while (so the current meta is a mystery). Do I take

--The deck that I've gotten the most reps with in the past few months, which is I like but might be modifying into a somewhat different archetype soon?

--The deck that is maybe higher-tier and that I think I'll really like, but that I haven't gotten a lot of opportunities to play?

--The deck that I love but is probably pretty bad right now?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
You may as well take UR Breach, you have to start putting in reps sometime to figure out how well it's gonna perform for you so you may as well break it out for FNM now.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

never not cast hedron crabs

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Years ago my older brother ripped a Gaea's Cradle, and when he quit the game he gave it to me along with the rest of his collection. I sold it recently and asked him what he guessed they went for these days. "Oh dang! 15 bucks?" :classiclol:

Now I can justify buying a volcanic for legacy, even though I rarely get to play, because it's I can kinda convince myself I'm basically just trading for it instead of throwing a profit right back into the hobby.

yeah, wtf

That's just stupid, I guess I'm glad I finished Elves when I did, because I don't see myself ever building another legacy landbase. At this point the cost of a deck is competing with things that I find much more fun, like ballsy ATVs, faster motorcycles, and, uh, structural support for my porch. When the cost of a deck was more akin to a lovely, low-powered motorcycle, somehow it seemed more reasonable to me :-P

Seriously though this feels like we're in a big RL bubble. Maybe prices on stuff like Seas and maybe cradle hold, but, $40 forks and $100 wheel of fortunes? As in, cards that are basically EDH cards, with many viable functional reprints? That can't stay there, the demand can't be real.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 3, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
reminder that not only are chinese counterfeits cheaper, they are also more moral to purchase. printing new cards involves actual labor as opposed to profiting off market manipulation

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

never not cast hedron crabs

See at first I was going to take Mill to the Tron-heavy store that I normally go to, but my buddy who always wants to go there can't make it tomorrow so I have a chance to go to the store much closer to my place. Except I haven't been there in a few months and I don't know who's playing what anymore.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

little munchkin posted:

reminder that not only are chinese counterfeits cheaper, they are also more moral to purchase. printing new cards involves actual labor as opposed to profiting off market manipulation

are these really at the point where they cannot be readily differentiated from the real McCoy, though? I have long thought that once we hit a point where counterfeit duals are genuine by every reasonable test, well, we won't actually know that we've crossed that line. But counterfeits I've seen, including recently, don't quite seem to be there. People in the bootlegmtg reddit talk about "sleeve playable" and things like that.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

are these really at the point where they cannot be readily differentiated from the real McCoy, though? I have long thought that once we hit a point where counterfeit duals are genuine by every reasonable test, well, we won't actually know that we've crossed that line. But counterfeits I've seen, including recently, don't quite seem to be there. People in the bootlegmtg reddit talk about "sleeve playable" and things like that.

They're easy to tell unsleeved or under loupe. They are ABSOLUTELY sleeve playable in events

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’m on the wrong side of every bubble. I’m sure everything will tank when I get my German Underground Sea back from BGS.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I’m on the wrong side of every bubble. I’m sure everything will tank when I get my German Underground Sea back from BGS.

as long as people are actively trying to cash out crypto without paying taxes, the bubble will continue.

if/when BTC plummets and stays down, RL buyout cards will drop. $20 to the first person to prove me wrong on this! :toxx:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

as long as people are actively trying to cash out crypto without paying taxes, the bubble will continue.

if/when BTC plummets and stays down, RL buyout cards will drop. $20 to the first person to prove me wrong on this! :toxx:

At some point I’ll actually have to try to read up on that, it sounds vaguely interesting and I had no idea it was a thing or how it works.

The good news for us not doing the crypto currency thing is it sounds like the crash will flood the market with old Magic cards and high end PC graphics cards. :getin:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

At some point I’ll actually have to try to read up on that, it sounds vaguely interesting and I had no idea it was a thing or how it works.

The good news for us not doing the crypto currency thing is it sounds like the crash will flood the market with old Magic cards and high end PC graphics cards. :getin:

I haven't seen anything definitive, just speculation based on timing, and the amount of crossover there appears to be between the magic spec chud and crypto spec chud communities.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I haven't seen anything definitive, just speculation based on timing, and the amount of crossover there appears to be between the magic spec chud and crypto spec chud communities.

I think you're crazy, by the way.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Norin Soul Sisters is an intricate engine that, once assembled, generates increasing amounts of both value for the pilot, and misery for both players.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
lmao is anyone watching Team Vintage Super League?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

myDad posted:

lmao is anyone watching Team Vintage Super League?

I tuned in time just for that. I'm so happy. Also ban Probe in every format and restrict Misstep.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

suicidesteve posted:

I tuned in time just for that. I'm so happy. Also ban Probe in every format and restrict Misstep.

Yeah that was insane lmao, the win with 0 lands in play 'storming off' with a JvP emblem

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I think you're crazy, by the way.

of course I am, I'm trying to make cats playable in modern

no idea if there's any real correlation here, or not, but buyouts have escalated in lockstep with the proliferation of discord servers with dedicated finance and crypto channels, and I've seen a bunch of posts on /tg/ and shitholes like that where people claim to be either leaning on crypto earnings to buy into legacy/vintage, or direct allusions to financial tools. It certainly may not be a driving factor but I'd be kinda surprised if there wasn't some amount of actual laundering happening through MTG cards; it's less extreme than some of the things people are doing to cash out

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 4, 2018

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tim Raines IRL posted:

no idea if there's any real correlation here, or not, but buyouts have escalated in lockstep with the proliferation of discord servers with dedicated finance and crypto channels, and I've seen a bunch of posts on /tg/ and shitholes like that where people claim to be either leaning on crypto earnings to buy into legacy/vintage, or direct allusions to financial tools. It certainly may not be a driving factor but I'd be kinda surprised if there wasn't some amount of actual laundering happening through MTG cards; it's less extreme than some of the things people are doing to cash out

I played Saheeli Felidar Guardian at my LGS last night and 4-0'd.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Swordcats and friends here. Hoo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

myDad posted:

Yeah that was insane lmao, the win with 0 lands in play 'storming off' with a JvP emblem

give us the full story my guy

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

give us the full story my guy

Some esper pile got an early JvP emblem down (when you cast a spell mill target player 5) against lands. It was neck-and-neck, and when the lands player finally turns the corner they’ve got 13 cards left in the library, ending their turn strip mining esper’s last land and plopping down a Dark Depths. The esper player rips a Gitaxian Probe and Mental Missteps their own Probe twice for the mill win!

E: forgot to mention the esper player Misstepping an early Gamble & Notion Thief to steal Bazaar activations, it was a great game

myDad fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 4, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

myDad posted:

Some esper pile got an early JvP emblem down (when you cast a spell mill target player 5) against lands. It was neck-and-neck, and when the lands player finally turns the corner they’ve got 13 cards left in the library, ending their turn strip mining esper’s last land and plopping down a Dark Depths. The esper player rips a Gitaxian Probe and Mental Missteps their own Probe twice for the mill win!

Magic as Dr. Richard Garfield intended.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

myDad posted:

E: forgot to mention the esper player Misstepping an early Gamble & Notion Thief to steal Bazaar activations, it was a great game

god bless vintage

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Working on a brew for modern, it’s u/w bogles:

Working on a spicy brew for modern, it’s u/w bogles:

Creatures:

4 slippery Bogle
4 invisible stalker
1 Geist of st traft
4 Kor spiritdancer
(13)

Spells:

4 Leyline of sanctity
4 ethereal armor
4 curious obsession
4 daybreak coronet
4 hyena Umbra
1 spirit link
2 gryffs boon
2 cartouche of knowledge
1 spirit mantle
(26)

Land:

4 fastland
4 fetch
4 shock
4 adarkar wastes
3 island
2 Plains
(21)

Sideboard:

2 disenchant
2 Suppression field/damping sphere
2 Stony silence
2 Rest In Peace
4 Spreading Seas
3 path to exile

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Edit: forgot about blue cartouche, white cartouche, and gryffs boon, also spirit mantle. Also spell pierce or mana leak?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 6, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

inuitively I feel like having to downgrade gladecover into stalker and canopies into random duals outweighs whatever blue gives you.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

inuitively I feel like having to downgrade gladecover into stalker and canopies into random duals outweighs whatever blue gives you.

I’m thinking real long and hard about testing this list in an open meta. It’s a turn slower bogles deck that grinds better in testing so far and has way more cantrips. But I’m very conflicted, I feel like I might be on to something. But it will require testing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm thinking of building modern Mardu Pyromancer, pretty sure the only money card I need is Collective Brutality (which is annoying as I'm sure I'd have picked up a set for next to nothing if I had been playing standard when it came out)

Who is regarded as an authority on the deck? Any articles or videos I should check out?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I’m thinking real long and hard about testing this list in an open meta. It’s a turn slower bogles deck that grinds better in testing so far and has way more cantrips. But I’m very conflicted, I feel like I might be on to something. But it will require testing.

maybe bant boggles for best of both worlds instead of having to constantly hand boggles a weapon and hope they cant stop it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Oh you also lose Arbor as a pseudo-flash creature and Liliana protection. I dunno, if you've already tested it then you definitely know better, but intuitively it just feels strange.

As for actual advice, have you tried Moorland Haunt? Feels like it could do a little bit of work.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Oh you also lose Arbor as a pseudo-flash creature and Liliana protection. I dunno, if you've already tested it then you definitely know better, but intuitively it just feels strange.

As for actual advice, have you tried Moorland Haunt? Feels like it could do a little bit of work.

tough to justify a colorless land and also the deck only has 13 creatures. But I do like it as a poor mans dryad arbor.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Creatures:

4 slippery Bogle
4 invisible stalker
1 Geist of st traft
4 Kor spiritdancer
(13)

Spells:

4 Leyline of sanctity
4 ethereal armor
4 curious obsession
4 daybreak coronet
4 hyena Umbra
1 spirit link
2 gryffs boon
2 cartouche of knowledge
1 spirit mantle
(26)

Land:

4 fastland
4 fetch
4 shock
4 adarkar wastes
3 island
2 Plains
(21)

Sideboard:

2 disenchant
2 Stony silence
2 Rest In Peace
4 Spreading Seas
3 path to exile

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Edit: forgot about blue cartouche, white cartouche, and gryffs boon, also spirit mantle. Also spell pierce or mana leak?

I saw this deck once but I can't recall where. I do remember it running Unstable Mutation though.

If you want to get extra spicy you could run Arcanum Wings into Eldrazi Conscription :getin:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I saw this deck once but I can't recall where. I do remember it running Unstable Mutation though.

If you want to get extra spicy you could run Arcanum Wings into Eldrazi Conscription :getin:

Those were both Saffron Olive lists, and I looked at both of them. I strongly dislike unstable mutation in bogles (but I do like it in infect) and the aura swap version of the deck seems a little all in on the combo. (but is also super sweet)

I think my current deckbuilding consensus involves running 2x horizon canopy for card draw and as white sources. and maybe dropping to a flat 20 land.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

tough to justify a colorless land and also the deck only has 13 creatures. But I do like it as a poor mans dryad arbor.

Oh yeah, there's no way you want more than 1-2, but you use colorless mana a bit better than standard Bogles does so I think it's worth a whirl.

You could also try running actual Arbor with UG or WG fetches, but then your manabase is a bit more painful.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Oh yeah, there's no way you want more than 1-2, but you use colorless mana a bit better than standard Bogles does so I think it's worth a whirl.

You could also try running actual Arbor with UG or WG fetches, but then your manabase is a bit more painful.

Yeah after some consideration I think the deck has room for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Creatures:

4 slippery Bogle
4 invisible stalker
1 Geist of st traft
4 Kor spiritdancer
(13)

Spells:

4 Leyline of sanctity
4 ethereal armor
4 curious obsession
4 daybreak coronet
4 hyena Umbra
1 spirit link
2 gryffs boon
2 cartouche of knowledge
1 spirit mantle
(26)

Land:

4 fastland
4 fetch
4 shock
4 adarkar wastes
3 island
2 Plains
(21)

Sideboard:

2 disenchant
2 Stony silence
2 Rest In Peace
4 Spreading Seas
3 path to exile

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I’m seeing very little in there that actually seems to justify running blue over green. You lose out on some good Green stuff and you aren’t really running enough U or U/W disruption to justify it imo