Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/brittsabo/status/992396855324692480?s=21

Tomorrow will be fun.

Doing a sort of risk analysis in my head over how much money I'd waste walking out after intermission.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
TAZ: I'm envisioning a shadowy cabal of merchants all based on cartoon cats that spans realities and it's very very good. Although I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't a small part of me hoping that Garfield the Deals Warlock somehow ended up in Sylvane after Balance.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

C-Euro posted:

TAZ: I'm envisioning a shadowy cabal of merchants all based on cartoon cats that spans realities and it's very very good. Although I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't a small part of me hoping that Garfield the Deals Warlock somehow ended up in Sylvane after Balance.

Same, I'm going to miss Griffin's Garfield voice. I like his weird voices more, like that, Jenkins, and Cassidy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/brittsabo/status/992396855324692480?s=21

Tomorrow will be fun.

Doing a sort of risk analysis in my head over how much money I'd waste walking out after intermission.

Folks in the replies keep bringing up Seven Parrots as an example of how the audience questions can be good, and I genuinely don't get why people liked that one. It sounded like the epitome of bad audience question to me, basically just a wacky anecdote with no particular punchline that the brothers kept laughing at and asking for more details about.

If anything I think they haven't helped the phenomenon of rambling non-questions based on previous live episodes, since they seem to enjoy indulging those questions anyway even if they're painful to listen to and frequently probe for more information instead of just letting the questioner sit down and taking it from there. The two-person thing definitely helps but they could afford to be firmer in person as well.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, the occasional really good audience question isn't always one of the simple questions. Sometimes it's a dumb anecdote or bit that the brothers just happen to be interested in/find a way to goof with. So there's no real metric for what will be good for the show until the boys have heard it and decided what they want to do with it. The dueling questions has helped with that, though the last live one seemed like they had backslid into answering all of them anyway.

And man, the people in that Twitter thread are getting REAL upset at having to listen someone not funny for 15 seconds. A lot of the questions are bad, yeah, and a lot aren't really questions, but are people really that viscerally upset about bad audience questions happening occasionally?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Many of the bad audience questions are also things that can't really have anything funny gleaned from them. Like, unless they start actively dunking on the question asker or something, it's usually a wet fart of a segment until someone asks a good one. And while it's easy to skip what you don't like in a podcast, going to the live recording doesn't afford you that. So the initial tweet is something said somewhat in jest, and people are just getting mad about it now.

Also, "occasionally" is being incredibly generous.

e: Like, have you ever been to an improv show or listened to an improv podcast where the suggestion given is bad? Or just a word that sounds funny to say, but doesn't really generate funny scenes at all? That's what the bad questions tend to be like.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'm going to be at the Columbus show tomorrow and I spose I'll throw it in here too. My brother ended up having to work so I have an extra ticket to the show. It's up in the Mezzanine but if anyone wanted to go and missed out, just throwing it out there that I'd sell it to you. Wouldn't pay over original price either.

I just figured maybe I'd give someone a chance to get a ticket that they may have missed out on. And you wouldn't even have to sit next to me since somehow I got seats with one in between them haha.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Having been to live shows and listened to all of them, I do think the really "bad" questions like the raccoon ghosts person are less frequent than people think. Most questions are just boring, but in ways I wouldn't really fault the question asker for. Again, the guys have made a lot of bland questions really funny because they happened to have something to say about the subject matter. It's when people are knowingly trying to make their own jokes or do dumb poo poo like advertise their own podcast that gets on my nerves, but I've never actually been angry about any of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, Amnesty has its hooks in me good.
If they spend a decent portion of their time in Sylvane I'll be very happy.

I bet you anything Griffin is going to use it as an alternate world ala A Link to The Past.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

And man, the people in that Twitter thread are getting REAL upset at having to listen someone not funny for 15 seconds. A lot of the questions are bad, yeah, and a lot aren't really questions, but are people really that viscerally upset about bad audience questions happening occasionally?

It's not something unique to MBMBaM, but I will say there's something that annoys me to the core when you attend an event or speaker, and there are pretty plain rules laid out/audiences are aware before the show starts what not to do, and then you get a jackwagon who thinks the rules don't apply to them.

It doesn't ruin my listening experience, so I can't speak for Twitter, but god drat I don't know how many times the brothers have to tell people not to give zany anecdotes before their fans actually listen.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

It doesn't ruin my listening experience, so I can't speak for Twitter, but god drat I don't know how many times the brothers have to tell people not to give zany anecdotes before their fans actually listen.

as many times as it takes for the brothers to not enable them. like someone a few posts up said, that 7 parrots question was basically the epitome of zany anecdotes with no actual question and they ate it up.

everyone with a silly anecdote is going to try to get that reaction from them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s just going to get worse as they get more popular

It doesn’t help that podcasts have that thing where longtime listeners become overly familiar with the hosts after listening to their voices and inside jokes for years and years so they’re more likely to think “they won’t mind that I broke the rules, we’re totally on the same wavelength and they might even ask me to become the fourth host after this bad boy”

That said, they don’t bother me so much that they ruin my enjoyment of the show

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bard Maddox posted:

Justin losing his mind about Travis’ The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage pull on MBMBAM is an all time great moment

If they were 10 years younger, it would have been 100 Good Deeds for Eddie McDowd

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm glad I'm attending TAZ and not MBMBaM mostly because I don't have to hear from audience members.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm glad I'm attending TAZ and not MBMBaM mostly because I don't have to hear from audience members.

Oh you sweet summer child.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

no one tell him

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Colonel Whitey posted:

lmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmao

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Have I missed the segment where they hand an audience member a mic and let them play along during TAZ?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that’s how Lin Manuel Miranda got discovered

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Colonel Whitey posted:

Have I missed the segment where they hand an audience member a mic and let them play along during TAZ?

Nope. It's just that TAZ fanatics are almost as bad as Humestuck weirdos.

There's probably a lot of overlap, now that I think about it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Where you're going, they don't need mics to squee

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Colonel Whitey posted:

“Ang-“
WAHHHHHHHH
“Barry Bl-“
WAHHHHHHHH
“Zone of-“
WAHHHHHHHH

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah okay. I’ve been to enough nerd gatherings to tolerate nerds being nerds. I just don’t want to listen to them awkwardly interact with and try to impress the performers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah okay. I’ve been to enough nerd gatherings to tolerate nerds being nerds. I just don’t want to listen to them awkwardly interact with and try to impress the performers.

Then you shouldn't go, probably.

I went to a Game Grumps live once and... my god. I don't even like cons all that much because of the worst parts of nerd gatherings. That show was something else :stare:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Then you shouldn't go, probably.

Why? What are you talking about?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

“Ang-“
WAHHHHHHHH
“Barry Bl-“
WAHHHHHHHH
“Zone of-“
WAHHHHHHHH

A room full of Waluigis.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Vonnie posted:

A room full of Waluigis.

Can't wait for this to be the TAZ bonus episode next year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dDoukBg3RI

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Vonnie posted:

A room full of Waluigis.

Like that squeaky duck vine played through a megaphone

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, I totally missed this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zQkaolidw

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo, I totally missed this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zQkaolidw

For whatever reason there are few things more satisfying than Griffin getting completely owned

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm upset that Beacon is Rat Baby

I, on the other hand, would lose my poo poo if Justin made Duck's sword say "Hello, perrrrrverts..."

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Gonna see these good good boys tonight. Hopefully they get excited about the Derby over Cinco de Mayo.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The last live episode they posted had some good audience questions that were genuinely as enjoyable as any other episode.

I went to a live show and some audience questions were bad but it was ok and I survived, even laughed if you can believe it. Some were stellar and were worth putting up with a few slow minutes of lessened comedy.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

Colonel Whitey posted:

Why? What are you talking about?

It's fine, people just cheer and yell when old characters show up. I was at the Boston TAZ show and honestly being part of that rowdy-rear end crowd was maybe the best part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/mbmbam/status/992874260229128192?s=21

We're prescreening audience questions now.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Oh thank god.

And so far only 1 flame print button up shirt spotted, but it’s early.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just saw the flame shirt.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Waffleman_ posted:

I just saw the flame shirt.

Of course you don’t have platinum. Black shirt, shorts, nearly under an Ohio flag by the valet booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Justin's here too early. He could be seeing PJ Masks again next week.