Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh yeah, this thread exists.

A few things going on right now:

Bundle of Holding is Unknown Armies 2e.

Deal of the day at DriveThru is World Wide Wrestling for $5, which is a loving steal.

DriveThru is also doing a "GM's Day Sale"; a bunch of books are on sale. Just a quick scan shows Atomic Robo for $10, Fragged Empire for $12, Godbound for $13, Shadow of the Demon Lord for $13, Breakfast Cult for $10, and Beyond the Wall for $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Two of my favorite AW-based games are on sale, too. Uncharted Worlds ($7) and Monster of the Week ($8).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it predates modern furry culture, it's kind of one of the patient zeroes, actually. Maybe patient 0.31 or something.

"Modern" furry culture? Has furry culture changed since SA started making fun of it near 20 years ago?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Liquid Communism posted:

"Modern" furry culture? Has furry culture changed since SA started making fun of it near 20 years ago?

Albedo - the original comic the RPG was based on, anyway - is from 1983. The RPG was originally published in 1989. So, yes, it's not ironic to say it's changed in the course of 35 years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ah, okay. That wasn't meant to be snarky, I was honestly curious.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Liquid Communism posted:

Furries are all Antifa now, it’s real weird

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Except for the ones who REALLY like dressing up as Nazis. They've just become Nazis.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This is the weirdest RPG deals thread I've ever attached my name to.

please keep me posted for Red Markets deals. It's a great game. Buy the book.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah, okay. That wasn't meant to be snarky, I was honestly curious.

Yeah, bear in mind the term "Furry" actually came out of Albedo fandom, but it was a hugely niche thing until the late eighties and early nineties or so, when the internet started really allowing niche fandoms to congregate through newsgroups and online chats. I can't really speak to specifics, as I only knew of it as something that was adjacent to my fandom of black and white comics like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Usagi Yojimbo (the latter of which started as a short-lived feature in Albedo), other than it never felt like it was quite as codified in terms of art style or content. And the whole "furry lifestyle" notion just wasn't a thing yet.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I always figured "furry" grew out of the the underground alt-comix scene of the late 1960s, a big part of which was based around "classic children's cartoon characters, but dealing with real adult issues (racism, swearing, drugs, sex, politics, etc)" of which Fritz the Cat is probably the best example. Out of that grew things like Omaha the Cat Dancer, Cerebus the Aardvark, Usagi Yojimbo, even (over at Marvel) Howard the Duck. Fanart, fanzines, conventions, and eventually lifestyles followed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

I always figured "furry" grew out of the the underground alt-comix scene of the late 1960s, a big part of which was based around "classic children's cartoon characters, but dealing with real adult issues (racism, swearing, drugs, sex, politics, etc)" of which Fritz the Cat is probably the best example. Out of that grew things like Omaha the Cat Dancer, Cerebus the Aardvark, Usagi Yojimbo, even (over at Marvel) Howard the Duck. Fanart, fanzines, conventions, and eventually lifestyles followed.

A lot of people consider that the prehistory of the furry scene, but it's hard to say with certainty about much before 1980 or so, when the community really started to form around Albedo and other independent comics. In any case, a lot of what formed the "funny animal" comics of the '80s came from diverse inspirations and much of it wasn't from any sort of central community.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Not quite RPG but there's a bundle of Warhamm and 40K novels and books.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Not quite RPG but there's a bundle of Warhamm and 40K novels and books.

Nice.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

MinitureMarket is clearing out their discontinued backstock with a decent sized clearance sale. There's over a dozen board games going for seventy to eighty percent off. At least one of them has to be good, right? :v:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/deals/promo-sale.html

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Also a good number of Warhams books if anyone needs to round out their collection.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Is the Warhammer Quest card game any good?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Tambo posted:

Is the Warhammer Quest card game any good?
Yes it is; it's a pretty fun card game with a decent campaign out of the box. It's worth grabbing because it's out of print now.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Wayback posted:

Also a good number of Warhams books if anyone needs to round out their collection.

But not the fantasy rpg gdi

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Not the good ones anyway, they seem to have some of the newer ones.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Bundle of Holding have a thing for Feng Shooey twoey.

I'd be on it if I didn't already have the main book and DM screen.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Is Interface Zero any good? I'm tempted to pick up this bundle, even if it'll just help populate a different cyberpunk RPG.

hexa fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 19, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ConTessa, a gaming group for minority representation in TRPGs, is running a bundle sale in support of their conventions

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/238925/2018-ConTessa-Bundle-of-Awesome-BUNDLE

Notable titles include Cryptomancer, Fear Itself 2nd Edition, Scion: Hero, Slumbering Ursine Dunes, Tiny Dungeon, and Veins of the Earth

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's Tiny Dungeon: Hatchling Edition, which is Tiny Dungeon 2e But For Kids. It's kind of adorable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've heard a lot of good things about Hot Springs Island, but haven't read it myself. The bundle has both the player's and GM's books.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
BoH has a Paranoia bundle up, what are the opinions on the different editions?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

BoH has a Paranoia bundle up, what are the opinions on the different editions?

2ND edition or XP is what you want.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
2nd Edition is actually coming back into relevance with the right and center losing their poo poo about the commies again, and inequality making a big comeback.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
XP is solid. It has some great adventure support and the rules - while crunchier than I'd ideally prefer - are workable. (It's less crunchy than 2e at least.)

Also a ton of the best classic adventures got converted for it. Also also, the in-book adventure is fantastic.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
What is Knights of The Dinner Table, exactly? I've heard the name before but never really looked into it and Bundle of Holding is offering some volumes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Agent Rush posted:

What is Knights of The Dinner Table, exactly? I've heard the name before but never really looked into it and Bundle of Holding is offering some volumes.

A ~20 year old webcomic turned print comic which has also spun off into a gaming company. Source of Hackmaster, which is arguably the start of the OSR trend.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

A ~20 year old webcomic turned print comic which has also spun off into a gaming company. Source of Hackmaster, which is arguably the start of the OSR trend.

Just to add, some strips used to be published in Dragon and it's one of the reasons Hackmaster exists due to WotC not clearing the rights when they made a compilation CD. Part of the settlement was KenzerCo getting to use AD&D and its modules as a base for a game as long as it was in the form of a parody.

I would honestly say it's not aged well from what I remember so I wouldn't buy the bundle unless you have nostalgia for it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
kotdt is closer to 30 years old, and it first showed up in an indie gaming mag, not a web comic

if you didnt find that at all amusing, then dont bother

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Agent Rush posted:

The comic strip part of KODT has evolved into an ongoing soap opera in a world where tabletop RPGs are serious business and organized play is absurdly so (and all play is organized play) - there are courts to settle disputes between players, GM's have to maintain credentials, temp players can be hired and underground fight clubs for PC's that use unsanctioned rules exist. A main satirical element is that one TSR like company produces almost all RPGs: Hackmaster, SpaceHack, Hacknoia, Cattlepunk, etc. Depending on who you game with, the characters are either depictions of murderhobo running bastards ripped from the cat piss thread or affectionate takes on people you may have gamed with or resemble.

I read and enjoy it, but there is a sprawling cast and a lot of continuity at this point, which can make it a hard sell for new readers. Also, a lot of people can't get past the art, which is understandable. The author has gotten better over time, but readily admits his limitations.

It was originally in an indie gaming magazine called Shadis, was in Dragon for a while and was picked up by KenzerCo and turned into it's own print comic magazine. The current incarnation of the magazine is standard comic book size and includes the comics, book, movie, rpg and board game reviews and an old fashioned letter's column. It also serves as a house organ to support the publishers own line of RPGs (Hackmaster, Aces and Eights, etc), but each issue has some FRPG oriented system neutral material. In a lot of ways it deliberately resembles Dragon Magazine from the 80's.

The stuff in the Bundle of Holding is a little bit of a hodge podge, the comics from the first 30 issues of the standalone comic/magazine, the earlier strips, two collections of strips that focus on a old west game, one of a storyline about a spy game and one with the characters doing book reviews. The earlier stuff is as rough as anyone's early work and isn't really representative of the comic as it is today, though the standalone collections are, being later material. If you want to get a feel for it as it is now there are lots of webstrips and supplemental comics on their website, https://www.kodt.com

But yeah, it's mainly aimed at a demographic of D&D player in the their later 30's or older and most of the folks outside that group that I've talked to who were even aware of it disliked it for various reasons.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is bad and not funny

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Glorified Scrivener posted:

It was originally in an indie gaming magazine called Shadis, was in Dragon for a while and was picked up by KenzerCo and turned into it's own print comic magazine.

It also had a stint in The Rifter... would've been the late '90s or so?

this is important information somehow

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Unfortunately the game is in the bundle is the 5th edition, which isn't particularly amazing since they lost the rights to produce AD&D derived works. It's basically interchangeable with any number of other OSR also-rans.

The 4th edtion of Hackmaster is the good one. It's essentially what 3x would have been if they'd built more firmly on the foundation of 2e, and it zings on a lot of late-90's quirky excesses while still being a (supposedly) playable game. It's got promotional coupons, an alignment audit system, a multi-volume monster encyclopedia, and is on more than one occasion a subversive takedown of the absurdity of the source material.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh it's 5e? Bummer.

Yea 4e Hackmaster is, at times, genuinely really good subversion while also being a more playable 'let's get back to D&D's ROOTS*' than anyone else made at the time.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

moths posted:

Unfortunately the game is in the bundle is the 5th edition, which isn't particularly amazing since they lost the rights to produce AD&D derived works. It's basically interchangeable with any number of other OSR also-rans.

Yeah, it's Dave Kenzer's personal fantasy heartbreaker, though I think it lives out on its own weird little branch of OSR game design. In mechanics and presentation it really doesn't remind me of any of the retro-clones. Someone did it in Fatal and Friends, didn't they?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I picked up the intro book and noped-out when I saw a character can random-roll "RAPE" as the circumstances of your birth. I'm sure that passes for fun at a table where no players have experiences, but holy poo poo Kenzer - I wish we were all so blessed.

My impression was that it's essentially a watered-down Dungeon Crawl Classics. They removed the kitsch and charm of the original, and were legally prohibited from making something too mechanically similar to it. So it went hard into "Generic fantasy heartbreaker" and got lost in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I will say that Hackmaster does have my favorite GM screen ever.