Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Seems they're packing a hidden 10 battlepass stars by visiting the locations on the loading screens you unlock when you complete an entire week's worth of challenges. Visit the northeast(I think) prison tower you see on the loading screen and an interactable star will appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Azran posted:

Yes, considering how slowly you get exp, I think I'll only barely make it to 85. Are double exp weekends a thing in this game?

No.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azran posted:

Yes, considering how slowly you get exp, I think I'll only barely make it to 85. Are double exp weekends a thing in this game?

Last weekend or 2 ago was double xp iirc

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I saw people saying it may not be more total xp but rather the curve is more frontloaded.. Aka more xp needed in the early levels and less xp in the late (compared to last season)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Radical Heights seems pretty good. Guns feel good, and no building horse poo poo.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Gunder posted:

Radical Heights seems pretty good. Guns feel good, and no building horse poo poo.

Learn to build scrub

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It’s too much. If there was skill based matchmaking, then I’d love to. But as it stands, it’s a waste of time.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bef posted:

Last weekend or 2 ago was double xp iirc

It was!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Gunder posted:

It’s too much. If there was skill based matchmaking, then I’d love to. But as it stands, it’s a waste of time.

Why are you posting here then? Go make a radical heights thread

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Gunder posted:

Radical Heights seemed like a decent idea with the most terrible amateurish implementation I've seen this side of 2005. It might not always be bad but it needs a TON of work right now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Pararoid posted:

Radical Heights seemed like a decent idea with the most terrible amateurish implementation I've seen this side of 2005. It might not always be bad but it needs a TON of work right now.

It’s just early I think. It basically just needs more polish. Once they’ve got all the textures sorted I think it’ll be great.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Truthfully though, Fortnite probably does need to have some sort of skill based matchmaking. It's really loving hard for a newbie to get going on Fortnite, and not too many will keep slogging through it to get good.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Truthfully though, Fortnite probably does need to have some sort of skill based matchmaking. It's really loving hard for a newbie to get going on Fortnite, and not too many will keep slogging through it to get good.

Yeah you’re right the player population count is definitely suffering

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Every match has its own skill based matchmaking. It’s built in!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Gunder posted:

Good luck on that. LawBreakers did have a few dedicated fans, but Boss Key's changes to the game pissed those players off so much that the game completely died.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Fortnite has a low skill floor: a new player can get lucky with the circle and get a good finish, or get good initial loot and get a kill or two. This gives new players a feeling of accomplishment that'll keep them playing. And hey, if that game didn't end well, a new match is only a minute away.

The big thing is the learning curve for building. But I can accept this, as building is the skill gap in Fortnite.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Is this a MOBA thread now

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

nah
And I say this as a lovely player with less than 50 games under my belt and maybe a dozen kills
The beauty of the game is how quick rounds go and that there are plenty of achievable milestones and goals even a bad player can work towards like the outliving opponents, or landing in x areas challenges.
I've even been able to sometimes kill masterbuilders due to load out or the way so many people skip grenades so I can always pick them up and have 3-6 ready for later game fights.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Like some times it's okay to just hide out and get into to top 25 or whatever, other times you land in big fire fights ans die quickly.
If the game entirely filtered stuff so I was only playing against people 'at my skill level' I'd have no fun since I'd learn nothing, and never have any incentive to learn combat building (something I just started) and I have the feeling the folks begging for it would be just as bored to tears as they oscillate between playing with bads, learning nothing/never improving but getting their mmr inflated until they smashed their dicks against better players then went right back to loser tier.
The longer queues probably wouldn't be fun either.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Gunder posted:

It’s just early I think. It basically just needs more polish. Once they’ve got all the textures sorted I think it’ll be great.

Radical heights has the quality of a game that came out of a "24hr game dev challenge" at a unity conference.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone ran into issues with microstutters on PC? I've been having a decent amount of it where the game just hangs for half a second ago, and then I just had my game crash with "bad_module_info" right as I killed a guy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

Like some times it's okay to just hide out and get into to top 25 or whatever, other times you land in big fire fights ans die quickly.
If the game entirely filtered stuff so I was only playing against people 'at my skill level' I'd have no fun since I'd learn nothing, and never have any incentive to learn combat building (something I just started) and I have the feeling the folks begging for it would be just as bored to tears as they oscillate between playing with bads, learning nothing/never improving but getting their mmr inflated until they smashed their dicks against better players then went right back to loser tier.
The longer queues probably wouldn't be fun either.

Are you saying every game with skill matchmaking prevents its players from learning, getting better or having fun?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Are you saying every game with skill matchmaking prevents its players from learning, getting better or having fun?

Of course it doesn't prevent people from having fun but why would you only like to play against bad people and take forever to learn more or go up against really smart and clever players that can teach you weak spots better.

I mean there is a lot of this game that comes down to chance so skill is not everything. Perhaps within the last 30 or so but I've seen some really bad people squeak out wins.

I don't believe it's as competitive as CS or RL quite yet but there is absolutely a high skill ceiling that'll leave you in the dust unless you get gud against gud people.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I like the current non skill based system. You don't know who you gonna come across. I used to get mad at build pro john wicks one shotting me with the shotgun after building above me in 0.0002 seconds while I fumbled with "uhh I think I should maybe start building...which one was the ramp shortcut" but you get better at that stuff fast and it becomes second nature. Then you become the dude other newbies bitch about.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

keyframe posted:

I like the current non skill based system. You don't know who you gonna come across. I used to get mad at build pro john wicks one shotting me with the shotgun after building above me in 0.0002 seconds while I fumbled with "uhh I think I should maybe start building...which one was the ramp shortcut" but you get better at that stuff fast and it becomes second nature. Then you become the dude other newbies bitch about.

Yeah this is more my point. I don't think "mmr poisons every game ever, go to hell you sweaty tryhard." For standard play this iteration of a BR kinda captures the chaos of you never knowing if that guy you saw land in the same area as you (and maybe beat you to a primo spot and chest) is going to murk you because he saw you too, or fumble over his own dick and die to your grey pistol and 20 bullets. The speed of the game and meta would also drastically change.

I've had a few games where it just came down to a comedy of errors because the good players all eliminated each other/got blown up and it was just a bunch of clowns left paranoid that there was a John Wick left over in the 10 folks still standing. That kind of magic would be lost unless the MMR did some sort of janky bellcurve fill, which would be even more infuriating if you consistently got picked to punch outside your weight class (either as the big scary dude, or the lamb to the slaughter).

Hell, how would you even do an accurate mmr in a game like this with only 1 winner per 100 players a round? Base it on rank? Well that kinda screws over the rookies who explore. Base it on kills? Deflates the dudes who win with only 2-3 kills. What about squads/duos? Does it just average your mmr? Or only allow fixed teams per season of ranked?
I guess what I'm asking is what is the ideal of the folks who keep wishing for mmr in BR? And what are you willing to give up to get the game to an even playing field? -If that's what you want. It's also okay if your answer is a simple "It frustrates me that I don't think I have a chance of winning."

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 5, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

PUBG has had skill matchmaking since launch I believe, and it works just fine. Iirc it's mostly based on which number you finish in the game. Around #50 you will break even (assuming you queue solo).

I think Fortnite will have serious longevity issues if they don't implement skill based matchmaking within half a year or so.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Seditiar posted:

I think Fortnite will have serious longevity issues if they don't implement skill based matchmaking within half a year or so.

I really doubt that.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

keyframe posted:

I really doubt that.

It won't die by any means, hell it probably won't drop below a few million players. But streamers/high skilled players have been frustrated due to lack of challenge for months already.

Purely casual play just doesn't work for a competitive game, or any shooter really.

Then again, the second they fully implement custom games, skill based matchmaking will be a thing whether you, epic or anyone likes it or not. I'm certain that ESEA and Face It will be all over that poo poo, depending on how Epic implements it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yo, y'all looking way to deep into this.

Just play the game and have fun with it...

You don't have to be some grand master builder or the guy who gets all the kills.

I only say this cause I'm pretty much the team medic. I give up all my resources to the best builder, make sure to give everyone health poo poo, and grab the loot I need to survive.

In the BR you basically go for a combat mode or skirt the outsides and make it to the last 20...

After that, good luck!

(Also after playing this game for like 3 months I've still yet to get a rocket launcher)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Seditiar posted:

But streamers/high skilled players have been frustrated due to lack of challenge for months already.

I think that's largely theatrics and bragging or a convenient excuse to 'branch out' to other games. Well either that or incredibly shortsighted. If those streamers really are in the top tier of players, there's a vanishingly low number of players of equal skill. So they'll either just consistently play against the same people over and over, have very long queues, or the game will basically have to bend the matchmaker's rules to get games for them. Not sure any of those scenarios are too healthy.

Like the bigger solution to that is more like you said custom games or tournaments being able to host those high tier players.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This game, heheh.

Sometimes I group with a dude. He is not very good at the game. Me neither. But when I group with him we coordinate without mic so funktastic that we always get top 10 in every game. This game have some secret qualities that run deep.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I think that's largely theatrics and bragging or a convenient excuse to 'branch out' to other games. Well either that or incredibly shortsighted. If those streamers really are in the top tier of players, there's a vanishingly low number of players of equal skill. So they'll either just consistently play against the same people over and over, have very long queues, or the game will basically have to bend the matchmaker's rules to get games for them. Not sure any of those scenarios are too healthy.

Although I think it's also a little bit of theatrics/bragging, when I check out Timthetatman (who isn't pro level by any means), he'll sometimes meet barely any resistance for multiple games straight. I'd imagine someone like Ninja gets a good fight once per 10 matches. Longer queue times is a given in competitive modes, CS:GO goes from instant queues (casual) to easy 1-3 minute queues as well depending on your map choices, and I was only rank DMG there (I think that's like top 25%), I'm sure it'll easily go to 5 minutes at higher ranks. I think Overwatch is a good example, you can queue for "fair" matches, or fast matches. Where fast matches means the algorithm will expand his rating search range faster. Yet everyone will happily sacrifice another 2 minutes of their time for fairer matches.

Coolness Averted posted:

Like the bigger solution to that is more like you said custom games or tournaments being able to host those high tier players.

I agree. I wouldn't want skill matchmaking in every single aspect of the game, I think that's where PUBG did it wrong. It should just be the classic Casual and Ranked game modes. Throw in Bronze/Silver/Gold/Master league with like 50%/30%/15%/5% as the player size (i.e. 50% of the playerbase would be Bronze). You wouldn't have a perfect system, as anyone in Master could meet anyone, but you'd have a lot better matches for it. With Bronze being 50% of the playerbase, you'd still have plenty of moments where you'd see two good players at it, or getting poo poo on by one. I don't think you'd really notice the difference between losing to a player with a 10% win/loss ratio and a 30% one.

Anyway, if properly implemented, skilled matchmaking would be amazing. But if they make a lovely version of it, it'll be pretty bad for the game. Seeing as Epic is an old titan in the shooter genre, I wouldn't really doubt them when it comes to a proper matchmaking system to be honest. That and endless funding, wouldn't surprise me if they're basically running like Blizzard now, if it doesn't feel right, it doesn't even hit PTR/Live even if they used months of dev time to get that far.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat there's a lot of posts here, wonder what-

Goddamnit someone said the words "match" and "making" too close together, look what you've done! :argh:

sogekihei
Jul 15, 2001
I will say I was hesitant at first at easier headshots but to me it seems to neutralize some of the power pro builders have. If there’s a higher chance they die after four shots compared to eight, then I stand a chance at a kill before they build a Taj Mahal.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is there like a guide to not sucking at the game? Other players always seem to land faster than me, find me really easily, build faster and better, etc. I can't ever tell what weapons are good or not either, the colors don't seem to mean much? Just some kind of video guide about basics and slightly advanced stuff would help a lot. I feel kind of lost.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there like a guide to not sucking at the game? Other players always seem to land faster than me, find me really easily, build faster and better, etc. I can't ever tell what weapons are good or not either, the colors don't seem to mean much? Just some kind of video guide about basics and slightly advanced stuff would help a lot. I feel kind of lost.

Gotta keep up with the thread. Apparently the way to not suck is to get owned by Wicks a thousand times until the skills magically form in your brain. :smugdog:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fortnite doesn't need matchmaking.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Don't glide over hills, trees or mountains when you drop from the bus. Try to aim for valleys/land closer to sea level. You will pop your parachute lower that way.

Don't switch between building structures with the scroll wheel. Re-bind your build keys to make them easily accessible. Doing so enables you to build faster. Bind the keys to whatever is most comfortable for you.

Weapon colors don't really matter tbh, but in most cases if you have a gray gun and see a green gun, pick up the green gun, if you have a green gun pick up the blue one, etc. The only time this doesn't matter is if you suck with the pump shotgun, stick to the tactical or heavy shotgun. Or if you have like a gray pistol and see a green revolver. That's more so player preference in those instances. Avoid the semi-auto sniper, light machine gun, and mini-gun.

"Meta" weapon kit includes any assault rifles, shotguns, and sniper rifles. The semi-auto/suppressed pistol can be good if you don't have anything else. The deagle is also a good medium range alternative if you don't have a sniper rifle. Rocket launcher/grenades (splodes) are always good to have. You ideally want a rifle as your main weapon. You always want a shotgun for those close range fights, but if you don't have one, a tac SMG is a good alternative. With loot it also helps to keep a consistent organization scheme in your inventory slots, e.g., 1st slot is your pickaxe, 2nd is medium/long range weapon (rifles), 3rd is close range (shotgun/tac smg), 4th is sniper, 5 and 6 for splodes and health items. Rebind those slots if necessary as well.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 5, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Grey-> Green -> Blue -> Purple -> Gold

Now just play the game and get better! For combat stuff land at Tilted/Dusty, for building and figuring out like sensitivity and stuff land far away from the bus's path and stay on the outer rim of the circle. With regards to landing quicker, you pop your chute at the minimum height depending on where the ground is beneath you. You'll want to pop it maybe 1.0-1.5 squares away from your target, then aim at a 45 degree angle towards it and swoop on in. Don't just bomb straight down directly above your landing target!

But yeah just play play play play!

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJD1CzSpzk

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do not drop early.

Here's the weapon color guide:

grey / green / blue / purple / orange

I recommend squad mode so you can kinda have some help and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

this game does not need skill based matchmaking. the randomness is what makes it fun.

FauxLeather posted:

Seems they're packing a hidden 10 battlepass stars by visiting the locations on the loading screens you unlock when you complete an entire week's worth of challenges. Visit the northeast(I think) prison tower you see on the loading screen and an interactable star will appear.

just got this one, thanks! hope they do this every week.

here is a screenshot from reddit:

bug chaser chaser fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 5, 2018