Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

chinese tea is garbage trash pisswater for idiot babbies

masterful trolling here

wars have been fought for less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Some people just don't appreciate a well-tailored five piece suit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Escape Addict posted:

This is art

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Escape Addict posted:

Psycho mantis?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Dizz posted:

I've tried a few unbagged ones. I have a teapot with a filter for the leaves. I also have an electric kettle. I've tried some Thai oolong and I have this sampler pack that has some small Pu'er cakes, gunpowder, and a few others that I haven't tried yet. I've tried several steeping methods and even water before boiling point as I heard that boiling water removes the oxygen from it and also makes it taste slightly worse.

I've tried steeping the recommended times on the teas after rinsing the leaves and it still usually comes out sickeningly bitter. I will try later steeping for maybe half that time,

I've watched a few videos but I still gently caress up somehow, I think maybe there's something I'm doing completely wrong.

There is no real secret method to steeping. Just get the water to temp, pour it into your tea pot with leaves or teabag, steep, and then remove the leaves or bags. I don't rinse, soak, or bloom the leaves beforehand, but I'd probably rinse the leaves in cold water if I was getting janky stuff from China to clean off mold or other unknown detritus.

Since we're dealing with an agricultural product, these are rough guidelines and you can adjust if need be. 3 minutes is a good starting point to see how a particular variety behaves. If you find 3 minutes makes it taste bitter, cut down on the steeping time. If it tastes bland, try steeping it a little more or even use more leaves.

If that doesn't work, you could always try cold-brewing. Basically you take a jug of cold water, stuff it with tea bags, and let it steep in the refrigerator between 8-12 hours. I generally use 10 tea bags for every 2 liters of water. I've only done this with black tea, and I find it tastes smoother but not very complex. Good enough for my daily iced tea.

If you still want a Chinese tea, Yunnan gold or golden monkey tea has a lychee-like flavor to it. However, avoid at all cost Lapsang Souchong. It's a smoked black tea, and it tastes like liquid ash and incense. It was invented on the silk road, and it should have died on the silk road.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Reminder that if you steep for more than 3 minutes with chinese tea you start to reach the 'unacceptable' threshhold for heavy metals leeching into the water. If you want to maximize your lead content you steep it for 15 minutes.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

CIGNX posted:

There is no real secret method to steeping. Just get the water to temp, pour it into your tea pot with leaves or teabag, steep, and then remove the leaves or bags. I don't rinse, soak, or bloom the leaves beforehand, but I'd probably rinse the leaves in cold water if I was getting janky stuff from China to clean off mold or other unknown detritus.

Hi tea nerd here and I will tell you that there are particular methods of steeping that go well with particular types of tea, and that the chart you have may be a starter but can be completely wrong on certain topics. For many teas there are multiple methods, including gongfu flash vs a standard brew in a larger pot.

The higher grade of tea you get, the less you want to be using bags. The tea will not have enough space to expand, and therefore end up losing some of its flavor.

Japanese tea you don't want to wash. Chinese teas you may not always want to wash, and even still one of the methods of washing is to take your teapot, insert water into the pot, then just fill it until it is slightly overflowing (the dirty stuff will just flow out), so that you don't end up wasting the first steep.

I primary drink Japanese teas + Oolong. For a high mountain oolong, the chart is very wrong, and you want to steep for way less than 3 minutes (probably 1.5 to 2 max), but use much hotter water (right below boiling, but not boiling - 97C). The better the quality, the higher temperature

Japanese sencha should be steeped at 80C maximum, with 80C going for 1 minute (less is probably too short). For higher grades, consider 70C for 1.5 minutes. For Gyokuro, you want 50-60C (usually lower 50s is better) for 3 minutes. Also the caffeine amounts in that chart are full of poo poo.

Do not cold brew high quality Taiwanese oolongs, but lower quality Taiwanese oolong is fine. Feel free to ice or cold-brew high quality Japanese teas.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 5, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is all that stuff people can tell the difference in exact steeping methods apart in a blind taste test, or it is more of a cultural/placebo effect like audiophiles swearing their connectors only being made from space-gold noticeably improves the sound?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Baronjutter posted:

Is all that stuff people can tell the difference in exact steeping methods apart in a blind taste test, or it is more of a cultural/placebo effect like audiophiles swearing their connectors only being made from space-gold noticeably improves the sound?

How much tea do you drink every day?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Now I worry about heavy metal poisoning, I've been drinking A LOT of long seeped tea during my 5 years in China. :smith:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The only way to drink tea is to blast it into your anal cavities. Trust me, I watch a lot of Caucasian Beauty Vloggers and Entrepreneurs[TM]. There's nothing better than a revitalizing anal slurp of Ginger Bergamot Energizer purchased from David's Teas! Buy some here*!

*disclosure policy: I may or may not be getting kickbacks if you click through that link and/or make a purchase. Please click that link. Please.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
also dont bother caring about any of this if you smoke. Taiwanese tea lady who is a friend of my family was like "yeah, nobody who smokes can tell the difference between our 2000nt/jin tea and 4000nt/jin tea".

PS: if you buy tea for taiwan make sure it's not actually from vietnam and that the seller isn't lying.

Okay I'll shut up now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like pu'er a lot. Welp, that's my story thanks for reading.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

That's the one that tastes like straw, right?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

:same:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McGavin posted:

That's the one that tastes like straw, right?

Tastes like pu'er.

All the Japanese green tea I've had tasted like lawn clippings. Very disappointing. If anyone has suggestions on kinds to try next time I'm in Japan I'm game.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I mean if you don't like the taste of lawn clippings you aren't going to like Japanese green.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
"Admiring my five piece suit, stranger? Not many tailors in the Walled City can produce this quality. I'll show you where you can get one of your own, for a price."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

literally at a chinese tea museum lol

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Put some oolong leaves in a cup, put hot water on top, enjoy. Fill with water when necessary.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
to make tea drinkable first you need a centuries old yixin clay pot and you have to wash it in tea 100,000 times imo

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Escape Addict posted:

"Admiring my five piece suit, stranger? Not many tailors in the Walled City can produce this quality. I'll show you where you can get one of your own, for a price."

lol who knew five piece suits were so cyberpunk. Makes me want to go through city of darkness again

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I've heard of a three piece suit, but what are the other two pieces?
https://www.quora.com/Whats-in-a-five-piece-suit

Old term for a 3-piece suit, or also means a coat and hat.

Dizz posted:

Are there any good Chinese teas for a starter? maybe ones that aren't so bitter as i have enough of that already.
A non-black true Darjeeling (which is an oolong) has always been the best oolong I've ever had. Way, way better than any of the Chinese or Taiwanese oolongs I've been subjected while in China.
Japanese tea ain't bad, and I prefer the flavor over the bitter chemical slurries from China.

Avoid Mainland tea due to heavy metals and concentrated doses of pesticides, air pollution, and industrial waste. The tea tree (camellia sinensis) is one of the best at absorbing environmental substances in air and soil. City planners tend to use it to absorb smog from cars. Every bit of bad stuff from the air, soil, and water goes right into your cup. Tea has natural fluoride in it, but it also absorbs it if the trees are watered with fluoridated water, which in large amounts due to regular ingestion over time can hurt the kidneys and do bad stuff to your bones.

Basically, you're subjecting your organs to a stew of bad poo poo. It's not worth it, IMO, and one of the reasons I mostly stopped tea drinking except for lovely sweet-tea stalls with 1000-calorie cheese teas.

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's healthy to never underestimate people inserting superstition or ritual into expensive hobbies or activities, especially when it comes to taste. I think a lot of it is just the placebo effect, and it makes the ritual-doer feel good for it because doing something less cheapens the experience. You can find this in so many things, across a wide variety of activities, especially if some authority in the matter can convince a bunch of followers that their system is the best way. I used to see it in pipe smoking and e-cig vaping when I did that, much of it connected to advertising without people realizing it. "Your cotton must be in this exact shape I came up with or else you'll get dry hits!" "You can only truly taste the tobacco if you're smoking one of these pipes because that's what people 200 years ago used and they knew all about tobacco." Look at coffee with their various pot spouts and organic cotton filters and a stirring rituals. With tea, you take this type of thinking and throw it back 5000 years and then loving lol.

I used to be a massive tea snob back in the late 00's and early 10's, and had a shelf of impeccably-sealed and kept teas from around the world. I think I had at one point 40 different teas that costed me a small fortune to amass. I had every bit of kit to make different teas, a printed chart, an electric kettle that let me program the water degrees to nearly any temperature, and I would drink 5-8 cups of tea per day. I got into kombucha making too, with only the finest organic oolong and blah blah blah. I even posted daily on a tea forum.
The forum was what helped me to see how delusional a lot of people are about the tea rules, and how toxic some people can get over their rules. IMO, the autistic care over tea is the same as audiophiles. When you add in that Chinese tea rules are, like many Chinese things related to health and "ancient wisdom," for the most part a bunch of ceremonial cultural things mashed with unscientific superstitions, then it's even more like "okay, cool, good for you, please leave me alone."

There was a tea shop in a city I was living in the US that had their own brand that was sold state-wide. The guy was a tea snob of the highest degree, and would regularly update the blog with photos about his travels to random mountain villages across Asia to find the highest quality teas to sell. Because his shop also brewed tea to sell, people would go to drink and try before buying. The reviews on Yelp were always low stars, with things like "I love tea and I used to like buying tea from this company, but when I went there to try some teas the owner screamed at me for drinking the tea wrong. I will never buy from this company again."

I am a big shill for yerba mate. If anyone wants something good that can have all its bullshit rituals eschewed (because many are very nonsensical) and have it taste nearly the same, some organic air-dried (unsmoked) yerba mate is wonderful. It won't give you give you a stomachache on an empty stomach because it has no tannins like tea. You can brew it at near-boiling or warm water temperatures. Air-dried mate is kept in the air for 9-12+ months, so it doesn't matter how well you seal it because it's already been sitting "out" for a year. Each company, regardless of selling the same type of mate (with or without the stems/ sin or con palo), has a different flavor, so it's easy to find one that you like and then stick with it. I gave up tea for yerba mate a few years ago, and even ordering it on Taobao while in China it had the same price on South American brands I was paying for it in the US. At this point I just stick to mostly-decaf iced coffee though.

hakimashou posted:

to make tea drinkable first you need a centuries old yixin clay pot and you have to wash it in tea 100,000 times imo
You just triggered me from my tea forum days. I got reprimanded for saying "no, you don't" to stuff like that, and then I quit.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
My problem with the tea here is Nothing Tastes Right.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 5, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What if the fourth and fifth pieces are the friends we made along the way?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
lol @ 'organic oolong'

btw i use the cup method at work to cool down water from boiling because I dont want to bring any teapots there. It involves taking water from one cup and pouring it to another cup repeatedly until the temperature feels right. This is not to be confused with cupping.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Pu’er tea is delicious.

Oolong tea is the baiju of teas. :barf:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I should probably stop drunk messaging my principal about how he's a wimp for not drinking 高粱 with me, but then I wouldn't be me.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Bajaj posted:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-in-a-five-piece-suit
Avoid Mainland tea due to heavy metals and concentrated doses of pesticides, air pollution, and industrial waste. The tea tree (camellia sinensis) is one of the best at absorbing environmental substances in air and soil. City planners tend to use it to absorb smog from cars. Every bit of bad stuff from the air, soil, and water goes right into your cup. Tea has natural fluoride in it, but it also absorbs it if the trees are watered with fluoridated water, which in large amounts due to regular ingestion over time can hurt the kidneys and do bad stuff to your bones.

Basically, you're subjecting your organs to a stew of bad poo poo. It's not worth it, IMO, and one of the reasons I mostly stopped tea drinking except for lovely sweet-tea stalls with 1000-calorie cheese teas.

I was told What Cha was a reputable site for tea. It seems to have a big selection of teas.

I was also suggested this by another person who vouched for it. https://white2tea.com/product/2017-waffles/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ntan1 posted:

How much tea do you drink every day?

alot?

I just got some tea from the local tea shop. It uses big fuckoff-sized cups. I got a grapefruit tea. Here it is next to my muesli.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Dizz posted:

I was told What Cha was a reputable site for tea. It seems to have a big selection of teas.

I was also suggested this by another person who vouched for it. https://white2tea.com/product/2017-waffles/

Maybe you should look at the Intro to Tea Collection on What Cha. You should get a general idea of what green, oolong, and black teas taste like before trying to hunt down a specific variety. Maybe even get another sample of pu'er to cover all your bases for major tea types. There are general flavor profiles for each of the tea types, and you should get a sense of what they tastes like before spending too much time trawling through the internet.

edit: and read the notes that What Cha gives. For example, see what it's like when a black tea tastes like chocolate, fruity, or malt.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 5, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I should probably stop drunk messaging my principal about how he's a wimp for not drinking 高粱 with me, but then I wouldn't be me.

The best part is these probably aren’t the worst or weirdest messages your principal gets

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Bajaj posted:

Tea OCD

All of the stuff you say sounds valid, but you chug half & half and "cheese tea" so I'm a bit conflicted.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
One thing I do legit miss about China is hanging out at the tea shop with friends drinking gongfu cha prepared by the nice lady for an hour.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

The best part is these probably aren’t the worst or weirdest messages your principal gets

We mostly discuss the legality of backgammon boards in Thailand.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I liked all the helpful tea nerd posts. Thank you, helpful tea nerds.

I like to make a cup of tea, wander away for an hour, then drink it. I understand this is not the preferred technique.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I liked all the helpful tea nerd posts. Thank you, helpful tea nerds.

I like to make a cup of tea, wander away for an hour, then drink it. I understand this is not the preferred technique.

Yeah, same. Realizing I'll need to get one of those 'dial in a temperature' water heaters instead of just using my coffee-centric one.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Chinese police hunt man who walked off beach with a dolphin

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ew that's a skankyass dolphin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gives new meaning to the term 'dolphin polisher'.

• Locked thread