Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dr Snofeld posted:

Sunday's game will have the party fight giant rats, so I started thinking about other giant urban critters for them to fight. Ended up on giant pigeons the size of a halfling. My mind wandered, one thing lead to another and now I'm thinking of ways to have them fight increasingly large pigeons over the course of the campaign til they reach dragon size.

Roadrunners hunt like miniature dinosaurs. The pigeons should eventually transform into dumb-looking feathered dino-dragons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyZ2P-XVIMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kidkissinger posted:

I just think at the very least the Dragon should have gone after the character who was running around screaming and not the ones laying low and trying to hide.

Yeah this is such an easy way to handle it. Generally it's not the sort of thing you can handle in-game but this makes the point pretty succinctly. Hell it could be beneficial - the party sneaks away because the dragon is distracted by the invader in its lair screaming.

Like you could have the same events where the guy "creates a distraction" and intends for that to happen and it'd feel good and hell, maybe he lives anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

To the folks who don't want any flaws which detract from teamwork, do you think the idea is fundamentally unsalvageable or could it work if it's supported by game mechanics? One of my players in my Shadow of the Demon Lord side campaign rolled "you obey anyone who seems like an authority figure" on the chargen tables and I'm not quite sure how to handle it beyond "let him decide how much he's feeling it and roleplay accordingly".

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Sunday's game will have the party fight giant rats, so I started thinking about other giant urban critters for them to fight. Ended up on giant pigeons the size of a halfling. My mind wandered, one thing lead to another and now I'm thinking of ways to have them fight increasingly large pigeons over the course of the campaign til they reach dragon size.

it shouldn't be too hard to find a life-size pigeon statuette to use as a miniature. That would look amazing on the table

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Other urban animals include insects, squirrels, feral cats, raccoons (tough!), and the occasional deer. It's a carefully balanced ecosystem and if they kill too many of one species, the ecosystem shifts, causing the other creatures to grow in size. Then if you guide them towards killing animals in town, the pigeons which easily fly away will grow and grow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 4, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

To the folks who don't want any flaws which detract from teamwork, do you think the idea is fundamentally unsalvageable or could it work if it's supported by game mechanics? One of my players in my Shadow of the Demon Lord side campaign rolled "you obey anyone who seems like an authority figure" on the chargen tables and I'm not quite sure how to handle it beyond "let him decide how much he's feeling it and roleplay accordingly".

It just seems that "being deathly afraid of bugs" shouldn't cause a PC to run screaming out of a dungeon because another PC opened a jar that had bugs in it on the other side of the room.

I don't have a problem with character flaws in a game, I have a problem with characters suddenly acting like cartoon characters resulting in a near total party kill.

Serf
May 5, 2011

there's no mechanical underpinnings for that stuff, its all just flavor, so your instinct is correct

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Serf posted:

there's no mechanical underpinnings for that stuff, its all just flavor, so your instinct is correct
Many of them have overt mechanical effects though - one of the changeling ones says "you can only change form into that of people who are dead". (I did a level 1 oneshot to start and rerolled when he got that one since it seemed harsh and I personally would like to see him impersonate folks who are alive.) Obeying authority figures is on the line between mechanical and not. (He's probably gonna meet his at-present-unknown creator at some point as example of someone who *will* seem like authority.) How do I avoid the "that's what my character would do" in a situation where the character as generated by rules in the book actually would do that? (This player would be inclined to roleplay it as written for better or worse.)

Like I'd never punish him for *not* doing it, the player can decide who seems like authority or not, but the situation is gonna come up for sure.

kidkissinger posted:

It just seems that "being deathly afraid of bugs" shouldn't cause a PC to run screaming out of a dungeon because another PC opened a jar that had bugs in it on the other side of the room.

I don't have a problem with character flaws in a game, I have a problem with characters suddenly acting like cartoon characters resulting in a near total party kill.
Yeah your situation in particular sounds infuriating - I'm trying to save the concept of flawed characters, your session/player does not sound particularly fixable to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 4, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

Many of them have overt mechanical effects though - one of the changeling ones says "you can only change form into that of people who are dead". (I did a level 1 oneshot to start and rerolled when he got that one since it seemed harsh and I personally would like to see him impersonate folks who are alive.) Obeying authority figures is on the line between mechanical and not. (He's probably gonna meet his unknown creator at some point as example of someone seeming like authority). How do I avoid the "that's what my character would do" in a situation where the character as generated by rules in the book actually would do that? (This player would be inclined to roleplay it as written for better or worse.)

Like I'd never punish him for *not* doing it, the player can decide who seems like authority or not, but the situation is gonna come up for sure.

my general rule is always "have the table discuss it and decide what would be more fun."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Many of them have overt mechanical effects though - one of the changeling ones says "you can only change form into that of people who are dead". (I did a level 1 oneshot to start and rerolled when he got that one since it seemed harsh and I personally would like to see him impersonate folks who are alive.) Obeying authority figures is on the line between mechanical and not. (He's probably gonna meet his at-present-unknown creator at some point as example of someone who *will* seem like authority.) How do I avoid the "that's what my character would do" in a situation where the character as generated by rules in the book actually would do that? (This player would be inclined to roleplay it as written for better or worse.)

Yeah your situation in particular sounds infuriating - I'm trying to save the concept of flawed characters, your session/player does not sound particularly fixable to me.

Yeah in addition to asking the player(s) themselves what they want to do, I tend to think that those sorts of traits and whatnot should have a bit of "realism" to them in a way. Like, lots of people obey authority figures like cops and all that poo poo, but not to the extent that it's borderline mind control

Same with the bug guy. "Afraid of bugs" doesn't mean you're scream and run away in a life-or-death situation with an actual dragon just because you saw a bug

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

If the player is into it it can be fun, if they dont want to, or are going to looney-toons it then its a bad choice.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
For context, the antagonist of the first session is a mad alchemist, and one of his potions mutates and grows wildlife. The giant rats got that way by coming into contact with spilled mutagen left behind after a robbery turned into a fight in a temple, and the same with the pigeons, who fly in through the open doors and unleash vicious pecks on the innocent churchgoers. The pigeons don't drop loot but after the party kills them, some goblin onlookers offer to buy the carcasses, dragging them away with cheers and cries of "we're having meat tonight!"

For later in the campaign, I'm thinking that a storm giant's castle would have storm-giant-scale pigeons in its rafters.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dr Snofeld posted:

For context, the antagonist of the first session is a mad alchemist, and one of his potions mutates and grows wildlife. The giant rats got that way by coming into contact with spilled mutagen left behind after a robbery turned into a fight in a temple, and the same with the pigeons, who fly in through the open doors and unleash vicious pecks on the innocent churchgoers. The pigeons don't drop loot but after the party kills them, some goblin onlookers offer to buy the carcasses, dragging them away with cheers and cries of "we're having meat tonight!"

For later in the campaign, I'm thinking that a storm giant's castle would have storm-giant-scale pigeons in its rafters.

This all rules

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is that mad alchemist alive? If so, make it so that he grew an entire breed of enormous pigeons so they could be trained to fly over cities and drop alchemical bombs on them.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is that a pigeon poop joke?

If it's not it drat well should be.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Malpais Legate posted:

Is that a pigeon poop joke?

If it's not it drat well should be.

Now that you mention it, that's a much more obvious interpretation than the esoteric reference I was going for

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

Sweet.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are jokes on TCP over Avian Carriers just waiting to happen.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

inthesto posted:

Is that mad alchemist alive? If so, make it so that he grew an entire breed of enormous pigeons so they could be trained to fly over cities and drop alchemical bombs on them.

Yeah, he's the second-to-last encounter, the last being his giant spider pet. His crime spree is a means of getting ingredients to make a potion of perfect luck - hopefully the PC who is a paladin of Avandra, goddess of luck, should really want to get him once he learns that. Either the party knock him out in combat or he tries to escape by hastily throwing together a slowfall potion and diving out a third-storey window. Only he messes it up under pressure, it's a very slow fall potion, and he drifts to earth at a rate of about an inch per second, while the city watch gathers beneath him and waits for him to get within arms reach.

I've missed DMing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Man, I read through the 3.5 Psionics Handbook.

That poo poo could have been so cool if psionic combat didn't require confusing charts for every attack roll.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr Snofeld posted:

That sounds like a recipe for giant goblins.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kidkissinger posted:

Man, I read through the 3.5 Psionics Handbook.

That poo poo could have been so cool if psionic combat didn't require confusing charts for every attack roll.

3.5 psionics already doesn't.

You might be thinking of 3.0

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Same with the bug guy. "Afraid of bugs" doesn't mean you're scream and run away in a life-or-death situation with an actual dragon just because you saw a bug

It's also really bad roleplaying. Why not run with that and say that your character claps his hands over his mouth, trying to stifle a scream, knowing the conesquences if one escapes in a Dragon's Lair. Roll Willpower or whatever, failure means the dragon is alerted but then the PCs at least have a chance to roll Stealth or Athletics the gently caress out. That makes for interesting, character driven drama that comes from what's on your sheet. And even it might get a little old if it happened every time (which would again be weird, because people are dynamic and change over time).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

3.5 psionics already doesn't.

You might be thinking of 3.0

You are correct

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Now I'm imagining some urban Rocs, hanging on a Colossus of Rhodes type statue.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Quidthulhu posted:

It's also really bad roleplaying. Why not run with that and say that your character claps his hands over his mouth, trying to stifle a scream, knowing the conesquences if one escapes in a Dragon's Lair. Roll Willpower or whatever, failure means the dragon is alerted but then the PCs at least have a chance to roll Stealth or Athletics the gently caress out. That makes for interesting, character driven drama that comes from what's on your sheet. And even it might get a little old if it happened every time (which would again be weird, because people are dynamic and change over time).
Especially if someone's constantly tormenting them with illusory bugs.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Being on the phone and not paying attention is wack but no one died and at the end of the day, its just a game.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The druid in my game recently made an agreement with the spirit of a powerful witch and became a vessel for her soul. His power and hers combined, and now he's a druid witch abomination thing. I'm working on homebrewing his new features and this is what I have so far:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c_PHRUdu2ilGNd0z9pgLFO6XNTXw_mBv

I'm not super happy with the abilities he can spend his life energy on and was wondering if people had better ideas

edit: Oh, this is the Shadow Tendrils cantrip:

Shadow Tendrils
Cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous

You create long, spindly trendrils of darkness from the shadows in your immediate vicinity that lash out at your command towards a creature in range. Make a melee spell attack against the target. In dim light or darkness, make this attack with advantage. If the attack hits, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage and, if the creature is large or smaller, you may pull the creature up to 10 feet closer to you.

When Shadow Tendrils hits a creature, you may have it deal no damage and ignore it's pull ability. If you do, you may immediately cast a spell on that creature that would require touch, or use any other melee touch attack abilities you may have from a spell or feature. Perform all attack rolls or saves as required by that spell or ability as normal.

This spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does Shadow Tendrils consume the spell slot/usage required to cast the spell or use the effect? I'd assume it does, but it's worth calling out explicitly if so. Also, would you make an attack roll twice if you used an effect from a spell that required an attack roll?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 6, 2018

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Elysiume posted:

Does Shadow Tendrils consume the spell slot/usage required to cast the spell or use the effect? I'd assume it does, but it's worth calling out explicitly if so. Also, would you make an attack roll twice if you used an effect from a spell that required an attack roll?

Yeah, it consumes whatever resource and you do have to make a second attack roll, it's supposed to be pretty hard to land since they're in the Shadowfell right now and he's gonna advantage on the first roll almost every time. I'm not super happy with how that works yet and might tinker with it.\

edit: I reworded it

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2018

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm also a fan of Giant Frogs as far as "mundane" animals go. The 3.5 video game of Temple of Elemental Evil, like the original module, had some immediately when you start the game. The first time I played it I immediately lost a Gnome Wizard to a tongue, then swallow, then digestion in the course of like 4-5 rounds.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thinking about changing up some of the magic items in LMoP to better fit with my players. Like Talon is cool and all but a +1 longsword really doesn't play well when the three melee frontliners use great weapons, polearms, or is a cleric.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 6, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Fought a catoblepas last night and nearly lost my 6th level fighter to a botched death ray save. Scary monster that one.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Any must have 5e DM sites? Other than Donjon and Gradenko's fixed math?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'm a dummy and am confused by the wording on the Observant feat, which says it adds +5 'to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores'.

Does that:

a) add +5 to my Passive Perception
b) add +5 to when I roll Perception and Investigation checks (doesn't seem like it can be because 'passive', but wtf is passive Investigation)
c) both?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You can find the rules on what Passive Checks are on page 175. In theory the DM can call on any skill or score for a passive check, but in practice only Perception is ever used, if at all.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So RAW, Minor Conjuration should be able to create spell components, including costly ones so long as they don't take damage. Up to DM discretion whether "which the spell consumes" amounts to taking damage except in obvious things like the burnt incense for Find Familiar, and some other special components the player would have to buy at least once because they're not gonna find Leomund's Tiny Chest model in the wild. And I'd argue powdered gems need to be acquired because it ceases to be one object. But supposing you're lenient about it and just adjust the level of gold you throw at the party to adjust, are there any examples where letting them conjure up the various costed components is going to break the game?

The big difference as I can see it is now players don't have to anticipate what expensive spells they might want to cast any earlier than spell prep in the morning. But considering most DMs I see seem to treat costly components as deducting from a magic bank account rather than requiring players have them in possession, that doesn't really change anything.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
I would like to bitch about something dumb in 5e, at least to me.

Investigation vs. Perception.

In theory, with me as DM, I like the idea of both. Investigation is Intelligence based with you pouring over a room, poking and prodding, maybe even drawing conclusions based on something like blood splatter in a crime scene.

Perception to me seems more "That looks off". Noticing the book on the shelf that looks differently is the one that opens a secret door, just barely seeing a tripwire before setting off a trap in a hallway, or seeing a Predator-style Blur go by and realizing something may be near by.

In my actual practice as a player, every loving DM ignores Investigation, never lets me roll it as an Int-based character that selected it as a skill. More importantly, it seems like most pre-written adventures mostly just use Perception as the DC, reinforcing the (wrong) idea that it is the only way to notice a trap or secret door.

Anyone else hate the overlap between these two skills? I don't really remember it being as bad in 3rd Edition with Search being Int and Perception being Wis.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
A thief robbing a dragon at the bemoan of the other players, dick move or forgivable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Everything is forgivable if you share the loot ~~*