Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The eight episodes were fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

The eight episodes were fun.

Especially episode 7, not something you see in kids' shows everyday.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Worklurker posted:

I'm reading it as a take on one of the best cartoons ever made.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/992600169811083264

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Original The Character DO NOT STEAL

:v:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Worklurker posted:

Existential Metaphysics, in my cartoons?!?!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Holy schnikes, in that robot, Enid was dressed as Lucca and Rad was dressed as Godot.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exE4HOsgj8w

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Cartoon Network is way more giving with next episode previews for OK KO than it is for Steven Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S3WFwaNn_I

Weirdly enough I was kind of hoping they'd play up Shadowy Figure as TKO's father figure like KO has Mr.Gar. And their dynamic is just really cute.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked how they kept switching the cel/flash layers for episode 7, like seeing foreground Bunny walking behind KO and Holo Jane's background bench. That was clever.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Is it me, or is season 2 getting even crazier with the animation?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is it me, or is season 2 getting even crazier with the animation?

After "Prom Plaza" demonstrated that style will make up for a 12 FPS framerate, they can do whatever they want.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
In the So Bad ical episode was the Textbook Train song supposed to be a ref to Casey Jr. from Dumbo? There's no way it can't be.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Without getting in to spoilers I can say this weekend's episodes are pretty great.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Whos that little onion dude I keep seeing, I swear I saw it in adventure time as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

No.1 Special posted:

Without getting in to spoilers I can say this weekend's episodes are pretty great.

Yeah, I liked them too. I liked the extra characterisation of TKO (like that while he's not as wise as KO he is better at seeing through deception) in TKO's House.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Turns out Dendy can jump hella high, neat.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hihohe posted:

Whos that little onion dude I keep seeing, I swear I saw it in adventure time as well.

he's based off of boarder Dave Alegre
https://twitter.com/scrotumnose/status/991518577088843776

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I liked the "You wear cowboy boots to bed" remark being followed up by Darrell living the dream, like a villain version of the actualization storyline heroes usually get

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This guy, I like this guy. If you see him tell him i like him.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I just caught Dendy's Power. Really sweet episode and it makes me want to learn to program a thing.

Also, is it just me or was the climax almost directly referencing Super Mario RPG?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah it was pretty much a direct Super Mario RPG reference to the Sword fight.
They also had Akira and Pacific Rim references in the other eps.

Managed to find a good source to catch up, as it's an absolute pain in the arse finding it legally here in Aus :toot:

Bonus Creeply Wrinkly

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I figured that scene was 50/50 Pacific Rim and Evangelion.

To illustrate my point, here's a theoretically work safe example from the show (that I'll hide behind a link because Animes in skintight suits): https://i.imgur.com/79kKyhG.png

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Spoilers for Point to the Plaza:

"They take and take and destroy innocent lives. It seems you two have something in common"

jesus girl, bad blood much

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Response to above post: She probably blames him for her teammate getting simultaneously shrunk exploded and whatever else those weapons did in that shop, the same way he used to.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've finally caught all the way up on this show.... and it's good as hell folks. I drew my favorite awful mouse.

https://twitter.com/saboyland/status/999661805206233088

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
This show rules

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Can we please discuss how Jim Cummings is amazing and needs to voice the villain in every single animated show now?

"I'm gonna watch from the shadows......like a total creep"

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The way he delivers that petty rampage in the store in the Don't Attack the Plaza episode and the "I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY THINK" speech are probably some of my favorite bits in cartoons ever

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wish I had as much fun doing anything in my life as Jim Cummings does doing.voice work. He sounds like he's having a blast voicing boxman

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
So after walking off into the sunset Boxman is just living in a dumpster behind Boxmore right

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

kidcoelacanth posted:

I've finally caught all the way up on this show.... and it's good as hell folks. I drew my favorite awful mouse.

https://twitter.com/saboyland/status/999661805206233088

This is good and I love this and I love Fink

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

The way he delivers that petty rampage in the store in the Don't Attack the Plaza episode and the "I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY THINK" speech are probably some of my favorite bits in cartoons ever

The way they tempted Boxman was also perfect.

"What's that? The president of the universe says all boxes must be replaced by BEST FRIENDS!"

Boxman is such a classic villain being evil for the sake of evil, like Dr. Doom. A lot of newer shows have been going for this newer thing where villains are mostly just gross dudes, but it's fun to see the old-fashioned thing done well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way they tempted Boxman was also perfect.

"What's that? The president of the universe says all boxes must be replaced by BEST FRIENDS!"

Boxman is such a classic villain being evil for the sake of evil, like Dr. Doom. A lot of newer shows have been going for this newer thing where villains are mostly just gross dudes, but it's fun to see the old-fashioned thing done well.

I also really like KO's delivery of "We are very thoughtful... even to our enemies."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did like the other moment mentioned in that post where Boxman makes this big show of screwing up majorly by attacking the Point HQ and getting the yacht obliterated, only to reveal that that was what he was planning all along as a big "gently caress off" to all the villains who disrespected him.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There is one major question I have: Why does everyone treat Boxman like a giant dickhead in villain circles? His POW card has him at -11 which is the highest for any villain we've seen so far, so why is he treated like a giant joke?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because he focuses on a plaza across the road instead of focusing on larger endeavours.

He's a joke because his archnemesis is a bodega

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Of the villains we've seen so far, Lord Boxman, Professor Venomous, and Shadowy Figure are the only ones we've seen so far who are villains for the sake of villainy. Everybody else, like Cosma or Billiam Milliam, are basically evil for the money. They look down on Boxman because he's constantly sabotaging his business in order to pursue his obsessive hatred of the kids across the street.

What they don't get is that for Boxman, destroying the Plaza is the point, and having a robot factory is just a means to that end. This is why Venomous respects Boxman, because he sees that Boxman has the same kind of venom in him that he does.

Also he deliberately ruined their fun party and got their yacht blown up just to show how much he doesn't care. Dude's kind of a jerk.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can we please discuss how Jim Cummings is amazing and needs to voice the villain in every single animated show now?

"I'm gonna watch from the shadows......like a total creep"

I swear he was in 90% of the cartoons I watched as a kid in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
I know I shouldn't post itt but I get really happy when I see new posts.

Recording with Jim is a pleasure, I've learned so much from him. We sometimes write the term "[Jim sputter]" in our scripts to designate places in the episode to just let him go nuts as Boxman.