Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
When you guys get in to shotgun battles are you aiming down sights or just hip shooting? I find that mid-close range battles are my biggest weakness right now, as soon as someone's getting up close to me I find it impossible to aim and I think it might just be the sensitivity settings I have for aiming. It also doesn't help that when I shoot someone point blank with a shotgun, it does 3 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Cultisto posted:

When you guys get in to shotgun battles are you aiming down sights or just hip shooting? I find that mid-close range battles are my biggest weakness right now, as soon as someone's getting up close to me I find it impossible to aim and I think it might just be the sensitivity settings I have for aiming. It also doesn't help that when I shoot someone point blank with a shotgun, it does 3 damage.

always aim in and go for the head. and use pump over anything else short range. personally I'll do pump+tactical smg so you can pump for ~100 and burn them down while they reload with the smg.

try playing around with the sensitivity settings where you can be more responsive short range and build faster, but not be total trash long range. higher sensitivity + lower ADS multipliers made a huge difference for me close range.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there like a guide to not sucking at the game? Other players always seem to land faster than me, find me really easily, build faster and better, etc. I can't ever tell what weapons are good or not either, the colors don't seem to mean much? Just some kind of video guide about basics and slightly advanced stuff would help a lot. I feel kind of lost.

I've had some good luck just dropping at the first named location near the bus. Try to get a gun ASAP, get enough building materials to build a few walls/ramps, and then try to kill some of the other people that dropped nearby (there will be a lot.) You'll die a lot, but you'll also get better at combat. I've found that from doing that I can kinda hold my own in gunfights now, so if I make it out of the first landing I might even win another fight further along.

I'm absolutely trash (I just started playing again last week) but I've gone from ending most games in the top 15 with 0 kills to getting 3-4 kills and dying top 30 or so. It's more fun than dicking around the edge of the circle just to lose the first fight you end up in.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't care if it's grey or not you have to get an AR quickly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Gotta keep up with the thread. Apparently the way to not suck is to get owned by Wicks a thousand times until the skills magically form in your brain. :smugdog:

Yeah, normally people get better by getting experience. If all you do is sulk alone in the bushes then that’s what you’ll be good at.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there like a guide to not sucking at the game? Other players always seem to land faster than me, find me really easily, build faster and better, etc. I can't ever tell what weapons are good or not either, the colors don't seem to mean much? Just some kind of video guide about basics and slightly advanced stuff would help a lot. I feel kind of lost.

One very important piece of advice:

Always set your inventory slots order the same. Mine is always set to shotgun - ar - sniper - explosive - health or shield. That way you are not fumbling in the heat of battle to figure out where that shotgun you picked up is in what slot.

My mouse has two custom buttons so I set them up to ramp and wall and I use the c key on the keyboard for flat surfaces. It is the trick to building fast. If you are using the default F keys shortcut for builds you will get murdered really fast.

It really comes down to playing a lot and learning from your mistakes. Expect to die a poo poo ton before you start surviving fights. It took me like 80 hours to get my first solo win.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also definitely drop 1-2 squares before your target and fall almost vertically down, you’ll glide like a square worth of distance to get to rooftop altitude anyways.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, normally people get better by getting experience. If all you do is sulk alone in the bushes then that’s what you’ll be good at.

There's a difference between intentionally practicing combat instead of avoiding it and going up against a 1000+ hour Wick who kills you in two seconds without fail.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

There's a difference between intentionally practicing combat instead of avoiding it and going up against a 1000+ hour Wick who kills you in two seconds without fail.

You must have a foolproof strategy to avoid the latter, I feel.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The neat thing about dying is you can just play again

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You must have a foolproof strategy to avoid the latter, I feel.

?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The simplest strategy to getting better is playing the way you are comfortable then branching out. I started with hiding and ambush and now I rush constantly amd get gunned down!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

John Murdoch posted:

Gotta keep up with the thread. Apparently the way to not suck is to get owned by Wicks a thousand times until the skills magically form in your brain. :smugdog:

It really is

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

It doesn't really matter who kills you. Pretty much all the necessary skills to become competent enough (which you can measure by how well you can carry your own weight in duo/squad) just come from playing a lot and learning a few basic tips and keybinds. Maybe watch Ninja for like an hour to copy some of the movement tech and basic builds.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
if anyone likes losing add me, dangit ballby on epic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

John Murdoch posted:

In those cases take a minute to think over the (brief) fight and how you might've approached it differently. Now that the replay system exists it's also possible to watch the replay and see how someone murdered their way through the match with impunity or how they suddenly appeared and killed you without warning.

Certain things like combat building just take practice though. Some people are ridiculously good at things like firing their shotgun and then immediately throwing up a wall afterwards because they've played hundreds/thousands of matches so it's become second nature to them.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Woah, dude. This game is art.

Today I won a game where the randoms almost wiped, then I rushed in to different occasions with success.

Heres me rushing against a dude with a gold scar.

A good way to get better in this game is playing and just getting into it. Losing fear to try things, and learning what works and what not. Cooperate in squad helps a lot (sharing health potions, ammo and weapons).

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2018

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That's why I always have a shotgun.

When poo poo goes south, it's time to rush and hope for the best.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think my problem is, and I understand that I could be 100% wrong, is that the guns don’t provide enough feedback.

Like, I know how an M16 should work. But every time I use one in this game it puts rounds everywhere but the crosshairs.

To me they just lack oomph. Maybe I’m just legit bad (entirely possible) but none of the guns behave how I would expect them.

Again, this is a personal problem but it’s currently wrecking me.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Beastie posted:

I think my problem is, and I understand that I could be 100% wrong, is that the guns don’t provide enough feedback.

Like, I know how an M16 should work. But every time I use one in this game it puts rounds everywhere but the crosshairs.

To me they just lack oomph. Maybe I’m just legit bad (entirely possible) but none of the guns behave how I would expect them.

Again, this is a personal problem but it’s currently wrecking me.

Most guns have "bloom" and you can be pinpoint accurate with your crosshair and still miss.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cheen posted:

Most guns have "bloom" and you can be pinpoint accurate with your crosshair and still miss.

Ah so that's what people are referring to when they mention 'bloom' in this game and how it changes when aiming down barrel, standing still, or after the first shot. I've usually seen that described as 'spread' in other games. I do agree the game is a little low on feedback when it comes to gunplay, like other than trial and error it's really hard to gauge effective range or bullet fall off, unless you happen to see the little ping of dust from a missed shot near the target.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I've had so many occasions where I've unloaded an entire clip of my assault rifle at an enemy while they were in the center of a Still & Crouching crosshair and had every shot miss. Scoped assault rifles are the only ones I wanna use because those actually hit.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I've been trying out the crossbow in PvE and good God why did they make it so terrible?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

FauxLeather posted:

I've had so many occasions where I've unloaded an entire clip of my assault rifle at an enemy while they were in the center of a Still & Crouching crosshair and had every shot miss. Scoped assault rifles are the only ones I wanna use because those actually hit.

With first shot accuracy, you’re better off tapping instead of spraying when beyond 50m or so unless your enemy is putting up walls as they run. At least I’ve found that works for me, but I’m also not great at keeping the crosshairs on someone while spraying anyways.

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH
Girlfriend out of town. FBR all day Saturday. 8 wins. Tons of rage. A lot of rage....I hope you all get a laugh at my expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVFgQ_WZHU

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Loving Leader posted:

Girlfriend out of town. FBR all day Saturday. 8 wins. Tons of rage. A lot of rage....I hope you all get a laugh at my expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVFgQ_WZHU

LOL good poo poo

The whiskey makes the rage real.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody else seeing that sniper headshot damage doesn't apply to the Battle Pass challenge? My first sniper shot was a headshot, but the challenge only shows 63 damage instead of the double amount.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody else seeing that sniper headshot damage doesn't apply to the Battle Pass challenge? My first sniper shot was a headshot, but the challenge only shows 63 damage instead of the double amount.

Did the headshot kill the guy? It might not count overkill damage.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Did the headshot kill the guy? It might not count overkill damage.

Nope, cause he went on to kill me :smith:

I sent them feedback about it in-game, and it's not a huge deal. I just wish I could find a fuckin sniper rifle to save my life, out of like ~20 games that was the one instance I found one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah that was pretty much my entire Saturday. Squads helped a bit, but only a bit.

And even once I had my hands on one, actually landing a shot was often pure chance anyway.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wonder if the people that don't want skill-based matchmaking are playing on console? I watched my friend play some PS4 games today, and the average skill level seemed quite a bit lower than on PC.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I dont think it's appropriate and I play PC. I'm also at that point where I can consistently get a 5 kill win in squads with the usual 8 or 9 people I play with.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I guess I just don't see any downsides. What would get worse about your games? I guess you might win less often if you're already great at the game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gunder posted:

I guess I just don't see any downsides. What would get worse about your games? I guess you might win less often if you're already great at the game.

We just had this conversation a few pages ago, and heck I even posted this same question from the opposite perspective. I don't care if some extra ranked or tournament mode gets added, but most of the magic for me is the fast paced games where half of the benefits or obstacles seem arbitrary and you gotta 'make do' while never knowing if the other players out there are murder machines or easy kills.
I also would absolutely never play squadmode with the new added 'feature' of hearing the 13 year olds screech about my poor performance costing them mmr and keeping them in ELO hell
Hell an mmr system would probably help me win, since I'm still under 100 games played, but it just wouldn't be as interesting if now snipers aren't a threat and the scariest fort is the 1x1 box a dude can tunnel vision and build if left alone for 2 minutes.
I am on ps4 though, so yeah the difference in skill floor to skill ceiling might not be as wide, so the really good players may not be quite as intimidating.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So it was two weeks ago that the game had hit $25 million earned since release. Now it’s up to $50 million and the Android version isn’t even out yet.

It’s anticipated to hit over half a billion by the end of the year. That’s pretty darn incredible and I hope it shows not only devs but customers too that games do not have to be psychologically manipulative to generate loads of money.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i don't disagree with the idea that fortnite would suffer from skill based matchmaking, because it's just really not that kind of game and never will or can be. it's not an esport.

but, like, closer skill matches help you get better more than just getting completely bodied out of nowhere does. it's hard to learn building if you're not actually getting in build battles with people, they're just making GBS threads out a full fort and wrecking you before you even have a wall up, for example.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

So it was two weeks ago that the game had hit $25 million earned since release. Now it’s up to $50 million and the Android version isn’t even out yet.

It’s anticipated to hit over half a billion by the end of the year. That’s pretty darn incredible and I hope it shows not only devs but customers too that games do not have to be psychologically manipulative to generate loads of money.

Yeah iOS is making $1m a day for them (total is like $7m/day as of March). I doubt Android will come anywhere close profits proportional to iOS, but they are, and will be swimming in even more cash.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cage-free egghead posted:

That’s pretty darn incredible and I hope it shows not only devs but customers too that games do not have to be psychologically manipulative to generate loads of money.

It's still super risky and expensive to launch a game with the Fortnite monetization strategy. If it doesn't catch on you're basically screwed.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

prom candy posted:

It's still super risky and expensive to launch a game with the Fortnite monetization strategy. If it doesn't catch on you're basically screwed.

Could always make a BR game in 2 months in case that fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Looking for friends goons to play with and Discord is empty and lame. IGN: Nullunit