Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Well it's good to know that people seem to like Catacomb Kids, then--it's been on my watch/wishlist for like a year and a half now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Johnny Joestar posted:

i really enjoy the sort of granular detail it has in all its little interactions, kind of like someone taking a goofy little physics simulation along the lines of cortex command and building a roguelike platformer around it. the small poo poo, like being able to disrupt crusher traps with a slime ball left underneath it gumming it up, adds a lot of character.

also throwing a poisonous mushroom into a pool of water to kill the fish in it was great.

There's a game in development called noita that's sort of like this, only more action oriented. It looks like a glorious combination of spelunky and procedurally generated rube goldberg death traps.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Noita ALSO looks pretty drat rad. I dunno which'll be "better," but CK is more of a NetHack+Spelunky feel, while Noita looks more like a pure interactions funset. Definitely larger-scale, too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well it's good to know that people seem to like Catacomb Kids, then--it's been on my watch/wishlist for like a year and a half now.

i genuinely recommend it even if it's not 'finished'. it's one of those things where you're much more likely to die frequently than reach the technical end of any content, and the deaths tend to be kinda funny in various ways depending on what you do.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah unfortunately Hearthstone is pretty bad on phones, at least in my experience. you have to install the entire fat client worth several gigs, and it runs at a worse framerate than even my cheapo business laptop from several years ago. it runs very smoothly on "real" computers though :v:

I play it mostly on my phone because for some hosed up reason the client runs like absolute rear end on any computer I put it on

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Finally getting around to playing cogmind.

How do reclamation units work?

edit: got it. it gives me a little bit of material whenever one of my parts blows up. The field recycling unit does what I was thinking.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 3, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I know the guy who makes Catacomb Kids so if you guys have any specific feedback you wanna give I can relay it, but also I think he reads the steam forums for his game on a semi-regular basis so that's not exactly a huge boon.
Also I've been telling him to add an easy mode for 2 and a half years.

Unrelated:
Some roguelite shooter I had never heard of came out today, called Juicy Realm:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/732370/Juicy_Realm/

I can't try it out at the moment, but the art style is great.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
There's some new FPS Roguelite coming out of Early Access today. Has Very Positive ratings and looks pretty cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/301840/City_of_Brass/

ACG did a review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAL90eVzFo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neat let's see what the store says

quote:

A first-person action adventure, inspired by Arabian Nights, from senior BioShock developers.

aaaaaaaaaaa

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Cool. Bioshock was pretty good with melee and looks like this one is pretty melee heavy. Doesn't look like it's the new Ken Levine joint though.

Also explains why they have these plasmid stations...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't know if I'm ready to drop $25 on a roguelike even if it does have high production values.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I picked this up the other day: https://store.steampowered.com/app/529970/PositronX/

It's a FPS rogue-lite with a sci-fi, robot killing theme. The presentation is surprisingly good; the graphics are great for what it is, the visual design is coherent and effective, and the sound effects are decent. The combat is fast-paced, playing like a late-90's twitch shooter with modern power-ups as seen in the video, and overall, it's fun.

That said, it has a lot of problems right now. The game trailer shows off a bunch of awesome, game changing abilities, but, so far, all the ones I've unlocked are +X% damage and knockback bonuses. In slightly under two hours of play, the only weapons I've seen are the starting pistol and the shotgun, both of which feel woefully underpowered. The enemies have so much health that fighting them feels like a slog, especially against Tanks, where the only strategy is to isolate them and circle strafe until they're dead. The rooms are tiny and cramped, with very little variation, especially compared to Immortal Redneck's rooms.

The worst flaw, though, is that they seem to have fallen into the rogue-lite trap of needing unlockable power-ups and abilities in order to make the game fun instead of giving the player enough to make it fun from the start. The trailer shows the PC freezing time, shooting a shotgun, then restarting time to have the pellets smack into an enemy. At the start of the game, you begin with a pistol and a power called Weaken, which ostensibly makes enemies take more damage from your bullets, but has no visual or audio clues as to whether or not it works, and one of the currently three classes (the others being, of course, unlockable). It's still very early in the release (only went EA on 4/27), but a little starting variation would do wonders to keep the game fresh.

I'm going to bring this up to the developers in the discussion board for the game, because I think this game has the potential to be an amazing rogue-lite entry, but goddamn does it makes a bad first impression.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I really like the idea the of a rouge-like tactical shooter, but so far the rouge-lite genre borrows a lot more from Unreal/Doom type shooters rather than tactical ones. My dream game game would be rouge-like SWAT 4 or ARMA.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I really like the idea the of a rouge-like tactical shooter, but so far the rouge-lite genre borrows a lot more from Unreal/Doom type shooters rather than tactical ones. My dream game game would be rouge-like SWAT 4 or ARMA.

That would be really fun. It'd also be a good way of bringing back rogue-like strategy to the rogue-lite FPS. I could see something stylized enough to not need high end graphics work for that.

I'd love to see a game really take it back to its rogue-like origins and have a D&D style, high fantasy tactical FPS rogue-lite. Wizard handles comms and explosives, fighter leads the charge, rogue picks locks and sneaks, cleric is a medic, maps and missions like "go into the Tower Zaxxor and neutralize the necromancer" replacing "go into the military base and neutralize the commander." Hell, that could be a pure strategy rogue-like.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

OutOfPrint posted:

I'd love to see a game really take it back to its rogue-like origins and have a D&D style, high fantasy tactical FPS rogue-lite. Wizard handles comms and explosives, fighter leads the charge, rogue picks locks and sneaks, cleric is a medic, maps and missions like "go into the Tower Zaxxor and neutralize the necromancer" replacing "go into the military base and neutralize the commander." Hell, that could be a pure strategy rogue-like.

I swear I remember seeing someone working on a game that was tactical squad-based turn-based strategy where all the characters were wizards with tactical staffs, robes with built-in night-vision goggles, and so on. Basically slapping tacticool together with D&D.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That's Tom Francis, the guy who made Gunpoint and Heat Signature.

https://www.pentadact.com/2018-02-02-pitch-tactical-breach-wizards/#more-9042

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I swear I remember seeing someone working on a game that was tactical squad-based turn-based strategy where all the characters were wizards with tactical staffs, robes with built-in night-vision goggles, and so on. Basically slapping tacticool together with D&D.

That's Tactical Breach Wizards https://www.pentadact.com/2018-02-02-pitch-tactical-breach-wizards/, being developed by Tom Francis, dude who made Gunpoint and Heat Signature.

efb

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Lee posted:

Covering Fire, Fire Support, Fire in the Hole, dude clearly had a lot of fun coming up with the pyromancer jokes :allears:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

OutOfPrint posted:

That would be really fun. It'd also be a good way of bringing back rogue-like strategy to the rogue-lite FPS. I could see something stylized enough to not need high end graphics work for that.

One thing this would overcome that IMO plagues games like Arma is plunging too many dev resources into a mania for lovingly modeled guns and uniforms, such that nearly everything else fun-related suffers.

I'd love a roguelike FPS heist simulator, and hell, make it a castle infiltration/exfiltration thing with zip zappy magic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

please spell it rogue lmao

also tactical breach wizards sounds p great other than the part where theyre cops :mrapig:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 4, 2018

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

Jesus Christ just tell me where to throw my money.

doctorfrog posted:

I'd love a roguelike FPS heist simulator, and hell, make it a castle infiltration/exfiltration thing with zip zappy magic.

:same:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So I picked up Card Quest, and have been enjoying it a lot. Started playing hunter, and got through the entire undead campaign. Then the final boss hard countered my entire defensive strategy on turn 1 and I died instantly. So that was slightly BS.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just got Card Quest and I've been really enjoying it, but yeah, sometimes you reach a boss or encounter for the first time and immediately realize that you've unwittingly built yourself specifically to die to it as unavoidably as possible. I had a nearly indestructible paladin with a life-stealing cursed sword that poisons stuff, and then I walked into a fight with like 8 poison-immune skeletons that took two hits to kill and then had to be killed again or they'd immediately come back, meaning I literally couldn't scrape together enough cards and stamina to kill more than one every few rounds. That was a slow, unhappy death.

On the other hand, berserker is so much fun it's borderline criminal. Blocking cannon shots and whatnot with your face and one-shotting minibosses with a big fuckoff hammer never stops being satisfying as hell.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Having cleared out the map with both Wizard and Rogue so far, Card Quest's biggest failing imo is that lots of stuff feels less like different tools for different situations and more like strictly superior/inferior options. Like, stuns just flat out don't work on half the enemies (and all the bosses) and adding distance is only helpful one fight in ten, while making enemies unaware is by far the best defensive option at all times and even enemies who can reveal you don't reveal you to everything. And they take an action to do it, so if you make them unaware as a defensive action they still lost the rest of their actions.

Coincidentally, I think you'd actively have to be trying to lose with the Rogue once you unlock the assassination school.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

On the other hand, berserker is so much fun it's borderline criminal. Blocking cannon shots and whatnot with your face and one-shotting minibosses with a big fuckoff hammer never stops being satisfying as hell.

Yeah, hammerzerker and flailzerker are just amazing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

General Emergency posted:

There's some new FPS Roguelite coming out of Early Access today. Has Very Positive ratings and looks pretty cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/301840/City_of_Brass/

ACG did a review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAL90eVzFo

Yeah I ended up buying this almost immediately after it was available in the Steam Store, primarily because I was riding high on the last of "Immortal Redneck" and needed something else in my library. I haven't actually played the game yet, but I will say this: It's one of the few EA games I've followed that have had consistent updates and a very open line of communication between developers and the public (the other two games off the top of my head are Cogmind and Caves of Qud). They had a clear idea of what they were working on, what was coming next, and when it was going to be released.

Glad to see that it's officially released and has been well received, thus far.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 5, 2018

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, hammerzerker and flailzerker are just amazing.

I haven't tried the flail yet because I just finished putting together a hammer + hatchet berserker build that can absolutely stomp basically the entire Undead City, and then I found a ton of paladin stuff and got distracted by that. What's the flail's deal? It seems like a pretty straightforward single-target basher.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I ended up buying this almost immediately after it was available in the Steam Store, primarily because I was riding high on the last of "Immortal Redneck" and needed something else in my library. I haven't actually played the game yet, but I will say this: It's one of the few EA games I've followed that have had consistent updates and a very open line of communication between developers and the public (the other two games off the top of my head are Cogmind and Caves of Qud). They had a clear idea of what they were working on, what was coming next, and when it was going to be released.

Glad to see that it's officially released and has been well received, thus far.

"By the creators of Bioshock" is a bit of a red flag, but that game does look like something I'd really enjoy; I'd be interested in a trip report once you get around to playing it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

I haven't tried the flail yet because I just finished putting together a hammer + hatchet berserker build that can absolutely stomp basically the entire Undead City, and then I found a ton of paladin stuff and got distracted by that. What's the flail's deal? It seems like a pretty straightforward single-target basher.

Once a flail turn gets going it doesn't end. Each time you use flail swing you gain a stacking buff that gives +2 damage and -1 attack cost til you use flail strike.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 5, 2018

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Once a flail turn gets going it doesn't end.

Oh, nice. I've been getting that effect at higher levels with hammer/hatchet/bear skin/rosary Berserker, but it takes a little while to reach the point where you can reliably do it on turn 1 (because you need two ranks of Anger Management so you can use Inner Rage immediately upon drawing it).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToxicFrog posted:

"By the creators of Bioshock" is a bit of a red flag, but that game does look like something I'd really enjoy; I'd be interested in a trip report once you get around to playing it.

there have been a lot of ex-bioshock devs making good games in the last few years

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

City of Brass seems fun, I guess. I suck so I'm unable to get far enough to tell how fun it actually is. The one glaring flaw I noticed is that combat lacks any real weight. If the combat was more like Vermintide 2 I'd still be playing it instead of writing this post.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I think Slay the Spire and Dead Cells are also in that category (frequent updates, clear idea of what they want to do)

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ToxicFrog posted:

Why on earth is that a red flag?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
because bioshock was a worse version of system shock and bioshock infinite was quite bad

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

IronicDongz posted:

because bioshock was a worse version of system shock and bioshock infinite was quite bad

Helping make a game which is good but worse than one of the best games ever probably means you're a way better than average dev imo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It does, but most people who play games don't have that nuanced of an opinion of game devs and they tend to think "I didn't like [game], so I don't want to play [other game by dev]"

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

IronicDongz posted:

It does, but most people who play games don't have that nuanced of an opinion of game devs and they tend to think "I didn't like [game], so I don't want to play [other game by dev]"

Wait are you saying you can't form a more nuanced oppinion than that?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, I'm explaining why someone would say that that's a red flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Alright, I got to the end of the Undead City in Card Quest again, and apparently the reason I lost last time (besides just not knowing the boss beforehand) wasn't him purely countering my defenses, but me not doubling down on my strong points enough and killing him on turn 1. I did swap out one item on the way there, which was a full energy recovery potion that helped a ton.