Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The Winds of Baru Cormorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Selachian posted:

Surprise: "Seth Dickinson" was actually a pen name for Piers Anthony all along!

The Color of her Cormorants.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ben Nevis posted:

The Color of her Cormorants.

:stonk:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

:discourse:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Baru Cormorant and the Well of Loneliness.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
2 Baru 2 Traitorous

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So Long, And Thanks For All The Cormorants

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
The empty shell that once was Baru Cormorant

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

E: It sounded funnier in my head

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Clarke Award shortlist was just released, and it's actually good! The books definitely slot into familiar award archetypes, but unlike previous years none of them are bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pospysyl posted:

The Clarke Award shortlist was just released, and it's actually good! The books definitely slot into familiar award archetypes, but unlike previous years none of them are bad.

I'm not familiar with any of these authors or novels. Which ones do you think I should I bother to look up more about?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Lol Sea of Rust is written by a friend of a friend and I really should get around to reading it, otherwise I'm gonna feel really dumb the next time I talk to him. Doubly so if he wins a Clarke in the meantime.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not familiar with any of these authors or novels. Which ones do you think I should I bother to look up more about?

I kind of want to say "all of them," but it depends on what you like.

Borne is the most pop sci-fi of the nominees. It's written by Jeff Vandemeer, who also wrote Annhilation and the Area X series and although Borne has a much stranger setting, it's more conventional in style.

American War is a popular mainstream crossover book, detailing a post-apocalyptic USA that's been devastated by a civil war. It's in line with books like The Underground Railroad and Exit West.

Dreams Before the Start of Time is very highbrow, about the changing way in which children are conceived throughout history and into the future.

Gather the Daughters is a dark feminist message book, inviting comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale and last year's The Power (although I think Gather the Daughters is much more effective).

Sea of Rust and Spaceman of Bohemia are both kind of throwbacks to 60s and 70s sci fi. Sea of Rust is Asimov-like robotic fantasy (although written in a much better, more modern style), while Spaceman of Bohemia is similar to Vonnegut's more experimental books.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
All of those sound pretty good.

The Clarke award is juried by like, semi-academic writing pros so it doesn't usually slate inept crap. It does definitely reflect the tastes of whoever is on the jury each year though.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

pospysyl posted:

Oooh, more books to read, thanks!

In other news, check this cover out:

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the other day at work I was reading the reviews for new SF books in the catalog, and there was one for a military SF book called The Moscow Offensive. The book itself isn't that relevant to my point, but the blurb made me uncomfortable reading it. Incompetent US president puts on a show of force with super battle armor weaponry but the Ruskies stole it and now there's a new future war, and only the strong, independent military not hampered by red tape can take ACTION! So those bureaucrats and weaklings running the country can be taken down a notch and put security and responsibility in the hands of REAL MEN.

Unironic military sci-fi espousing the glories of combat and honoring men in uniform really bothers me, and it made me look back on the sort of MilSF I actually do read. The stuff I've read is either hyper focused on the individual pain and suffering soldiers go through, just dressed up with science fiction, or they're pitch black satires in the veins of Verhoeven's Starship Troopers adaptation. Either way, they seem more aware that the hard on for big wars and cool robots and spaceships and rah rah rah army nonsense is just that, nonsense. So these books that don't seem to have that sense of self awareness and appear to be actively endorsing fascist military dominance make me uncomfortable.

To bring this around to making a point of discussion, if anyone here has any MilSF to recommend, what would you suggest that fits the kind of apolitical or satirical stuff I enjoy reading?

Alright, so, full disclosure: i work on maintaining the video game Brigador and am writing a followup game in a different genre as well as working on the direct sequel. This post is about the novel that was written alongside the game, not by me, so if you are suspicious of my motives, feel free to skip the rest of the post. I understand.

That said, the novel Brigador is written by my friend Brad Buckmaster, and I have no financial connection to it. It is still one of the best on-the-ground military sci fi books I've read and is drawn from his lengthy experience in infantry combat.

He is still in the army and has no patience for the kinds of books you're annoyed by, while being strongly influenced by books like The Forever War. That's probably the best recommendation I can give. It is certainly very self-aware.

It is about the fall of a dictatorship, and about a man caught with loyalties on both sides of the struggle, and how he comes to terms with that while struggling to get his unit through a warzone.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Brigador audiobook gets a recommendation from me, the narrator is a British guy who manages to snarl for literally the entire duration of the book

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Alright, so, full disclosure: i work on maintaining the video game Brigador and am writing a followup game in a different genre as well as working on the direct sequel. This post is about the novel that was written alongside the game, not by me, so if you are suspicious of my motives, feel free to skip the rest of the post. I understand.

That said, the novel Brigador is written by my friend Brad Buckmaster, and I have no financial connection to it. It is still one of the best on-the-ground military sci fi books I've read and is drawn from his lengthy experience in infantry combat.

He is still in the army and has no patience for the kinds of books you're annoyed by, while being strongly influenced by books like The Forever War. That's probably the best recommendation I can give. It is certainly very self-aware.

It is about the fall of a dictatorship, and about a man caught with loyalties on both sides of the struggle, and how he comes to terms with that while struggling to get his unit through a warzone.

hey! it's not cool to steal ip from mechwarrior 2 by using a screencap of it for cover art

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pospysyl posted:

I kind of want to say "all of them," but it depends on what you like.

Borne is the most pop sci-fi of the nominees. It's written by Jeff Vandemeer, who also wrote Annhilation and the Area X series and although Borne has a much stranger setting, it's more conventional in style.

American War is a popular mainstream crossover book, detailing a post-apocalyptic USA that's been devastated by a civil war. It's in line with books like The Underground Railroad and Exit West.

Dreams Before the Start of Time is very highbrow, about the changing way in which children are conceived throughout history and into the future.

Gather the Daughters is a dark feminist message book, inviting comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale and last year's The Power (although I think Gather the Daughters is much more effective).

Sea of Rust and Spaceman of Bohemia are both kind of throwbacks to 60s and 70s sci fi. Sea of Rust is Asimov-like robotic fantasy (although written in a much better, more modern style), while Spaceman of Bohemia is similar to Vonnegut's more experimental books.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! It sounds like I want to read most of the books on that list, which is neat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Alright, so, full disclosure: i work on maintaining the video game Brigador and am writing a followup game in a different genre as well as working on the direct sequel.
You just made my day, sir. Thank you.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I read Spaceman of Bohemia last year. It's really using sci-fi as a method to explore the consequences of the Velvet Revolution and Czechia's search for a way forward as a more modern and more capitalist country, and what was lost and gained in the transition, both nationally and personally for the titular Spaceman. I thought it was real good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Trasson posted:

The Fifth Book In The Increasingly Inaccurately Named Baru Cormorant Trilogy Baru Cormorant.

Oh please, that's nothing compared to the (currently) ten books in the Robert Rankin's Brentford Trilogy

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

I read Spaceman of Bohemia last year. It's really using sci-fi as a method to explore the consequences of the Velvet Revolution and Czechia's search for a way forward as a more modern and more capitalist country, and what was lost and gained in the transition, both nationally and personally for the titular Spaceman. I thought it was real good.
I can second that, with the caveat that I happen to be Czech so I'm a bit closer to the themes. Really good book.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
How hard is it to find the novelettes and short stories on the Hugo ballot? I want to catch up on this year's offerings, but money's tight this year and I'm not sure I want to spend it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Tor/Forge is having a May 4th sale.
https://www.torforgeblog.com/2018/05/04/today-only-sci-fi-classics-ebook-sale/

The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin J. Anderson
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
Haze by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Jupiter by Ben Bova
Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Solitair posted:

How hard is it to find the novelettes and short stories on the Hugo ballot? I want to catch up on this year's offerings, but money's tight this year and I'm not sure I want to spend it.

They're all online for free!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Solitair posted:

Googling them seems to just pull them up from wherever, generally whoever published them. I think they want to get them out for voters. I also learned that the first line of one of the nominated novelettes is:

quote:

I’m trying to piss against a wall when the vampire bites me. Trying because drunk-me can barely hold a glass, much less maneuver a limp prosthetic cock.

Gonna have to read that when I have a slow moment.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

Tor/Forge is having a May 4th sale.
https://www.torforgeblog.com/2018/05/04/today-only-sci-fi-classics-ebook-sale/

The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin J. Anderson
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
Haze by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Jupiter by Ben Bova
Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber

Half of those, they should probably pay you to take them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Selachian posted:

Half of those, they should probably pay you to take them.
The Vinge is great. The Scalzi I have heard is okay. And the Bova's fine.

(the rest, well... let's just say that Off Armageddon Reef was the Tor free ebook of the month 6+ months back and when I asked if the rest of the series got better in the obvious ways it needed to the thread consensus is that it only got worse.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i liked collapsing empire

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i liked collapsing empire

i am judging you

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Haze was pretty bad IIRC, with the caveat that I read it ages ago. Basically half the book is some guy with the SINO-FED world government investigating some neo-Mormon religious group for using too much electricity or something. The other half is him being sent to scout a planet the Mormons have secretly colonized but has some technomagic shield, getting captured by the Mormons, and then being given a tour of the planet and a explanation of why capitalism is good.

It felt a lot like those old Heinlein ones where the protagonist is some two-dimensional reader insert who ends up on Planet Free Love where everybody is happy to tell him how everything works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

poo poo gently caress now I have to come up with a fourth title

Nah, it'll just be subtitles. The Monster 1: Treachery and Tribadism and The Monster 2: Deceit and Dinner At The Y.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Off Armageddon Reef

On my knees begging you not to read these books

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Phobeste posted:

On my knees begging you not to read these books

Alternately, READ THEM. How else will you learn how to detect & avoid bad authors if you just rely on the advice of others?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Alternately, READ THEM. How else will you learn how to detect & avoid bad authors if you just rely on the advice of others?

And if you ever want to write books, this doubly. Even bad books are good teachers.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Lord Beden's Motor is the best older science fiction and ghost story short story I've come across in a while.
Steampunk fans will enjoy it, especially because it was originally published in 1901.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Troop is the first book I've read that made me feel genuinely queasy. I wasn't quite expecting that even though I had already read The Deep.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any good gunpowder fantasy novels? I've seen the Powder Mage trilogy in my store and it seems interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If you like Sanderson you'll like The Powder Mage cause the author was taught by Sanderson and has absorbed a lot of his writing patterns.