Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Strictly speaking it isn't a bug per se but the Iroquois Confederacy constantly calling up Prussia to see if they'll trade a random piece of North America for Koningsberg was funny the first few times and then tedious after.

Edit: And sometimes the AI ACCEPTED the deal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Plavski posted:

That is not a gamebreaking bug on par with any issues we had at launch in older games. I played the poo poo out of Warhams 2 at launch with no issues.

Do people forget what a mess Empire shipped in? That was reason enough to give CA the reputation it had, but the Warhams releases have been marvelously playable with no particular crashes or flat out broken nonsense preventing play.

Having a unit type not working is the definition of broken.

Just because you put up with it doesn’t change that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

turn off the TV posted:

In one battle I saw a unit climb over a fence but another unit walked into the fence and broke it so five or six guys climbed over an invisible fence. I would say that's at least on par with how unplayable and broken vanilla Empire or Rome 2 were.
Sounds like a graphical glitch to me.

Rome 2 was literally unplayable for most people at launch.
Sometimes boats would sail through the land.

Sometimes they'd successfully disembark all but 1 dude, and the rest of the unit would refuse to move and would not take orders until Gary gets off the ship.

Siege towers would turn sideways, and toss all the dudes backwards

Turns would take several minutes (or just crash), and units would disappear through the earth.

Order a unit to charge, and they'd run towards the enemy and then just stop 20 feet short, all in a line, and stand there.

Invisible fence that units are climbing over sounds downright pedestrian by comparison.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Buggy doesnt really describe thrones imo, but whatever. It feels to me like they conciously built most of these new systems so modders could go hog wild on them. That's great for someone like me who already loves the period, but if you feel otherwise you should probably wait.

Dang if i dont love this game and Atilla's sense of lethality after warhammer though, the hit point system makes sense for those games but I still hate watching dudes shrug off being slammed by a cannonball

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

May not be the biggest fan of ToB around here, but I will say that it does run without a glitch and there doesn't seem to be any terrible bugs. It's problems are just game mechanics and design.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The best Total War Game was Medieval 1 and its been downhill from there. :colbert:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It hardly ever seems to get mentioned probably because Shogun 2 was right after it but I think Napoleon was the best TW game to date.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

canyoneer posted:

Sounds like a graphical glitch to me.

Rome 2 was literally unplayable for most people at launch.
Sometimes boats would sail through the land.

Sometimes they'd successfully disembark all but 1 dude, and the rest of the unit would refuse to move and would not take orders until Gary gets off the ship.

Siege towers would turn sideways, and toss all the dudes backwards

Turns would take several minutes (or just crash), and units would disappear through the earth.

Order a unit to charge, and they'd run towards the enemy and then just stop 20 feet short, all in a line, and stand there.

Invisible fence that units are climbing over sounds downright pedestrian by comparison.

Yes but when playing Thrones of Britannia I had to turn anisotropic filtering on and off once in the menu before it worked.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
y'all have some serious stockholm going on in here, jeez

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The battle AI on ToB is genuinely poo poo. It does the same stuff everytime - sends cav up the flanks and suicides them and then just marches its main stack in. It's so freaking dumb it just mashes all its units together in a clump trying to attack 1 unit. I think it might be seriously bugged.

I've watched it use its general to flank and then run into spears and not move until he died. This is on hard but I guess I'll try legendary just to see if it gets smarter.

e: also send out like 1-2 units far on one flank and the AI army will freak the hell out and start reforming/spinning all its units because it can't decide if it wants to go hunt down your 2 units or face your main army.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 4, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Reiterpallasch posted:

y'all have some serious stockholm going on in here, jeez

I'm not making any excuses for ToB, but it's absurd hyperbole to say it is as "unplayable" and busted as Rome 2 or Empire was.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hemale in pain posted:

The battle AI on ToB is genuinely poo poo. It does the same stuff everytime - sends cav up the flanks and suicides them and then just marches its main stack in. It's so freaking dumb it just mashes all its units together in a clump trying to attack 1 unit. I think it might be seriously bugged.

I've watched it use its general to flank and then run into spears and not move until he died. This is on hard but I guess I'll try legendary just to see if it gets smarter.

e: also send out like 1-2 units far on one flank and the AI army will freak the hell out and start reforming/spinning all its units because it can't decide if it wants to go hunt down your 2 units or face your main army.

IIRC a certain amount of AI battle behavior is determined by the general's campaign characteristics so it might actually be being stupid on purpose between it being stupid by accident. I've seen the AI kite the poo poo out of my units with skirmish cavalry and holding its melee cav in reserve and decimate half my army, and then a dozen turns later a different faction deployed 700 dudes to my 600 and got completely wiped with a total of 40 kills.

Just doing some custom battle testing, I'm watching the AI flank with skirmishers to get rear shots onto opposing troops while also allowing a stationary unit of levy spearmen to get rear charged by a unit of swords.

:iiam:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 4, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

turn off the TV posted:

IIRC a certain amount of AI battle behavior is determined by the general's campaign characteristics so it might actually be being stupid on purpose between it being stupid by accident.

The rest of your stuff has been pretty fair but this is hilarious

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
West Seaxe's short kingdom victory is to take Staffordshire from Mierce and London from East Engle. In my very first test run, I did it by turn 10 and I misclicked Afred's army on the way towards london, it may actually be doable in 8 or nine without that fuckup.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there needs to be a two or three turn 'siege' timer for minor settlements. taking them shouldn't cost manpower, rather increase the speed of unit reinforcement. it's a little snipey right now and there's a lot of loving territory on that map to cover.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

West Seaxe's short kingdom victory is to take Staffordshire from Mierce and London from East Engle. In my very first test run, I did it by turn 10 and I misclicked Afred's army on the way towards london, it may actually be doable in 8 or nine without that fuckup.

There is an event that fires 20 turns in for West Seaxe that gives you chance to make Mierce your vassal, and do 2 victories in one go.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nopantsjack posted:

The rest of your stuff has been pretty fair but this is hilarious

Multiple battle AI behavior sets were first implemented in the franchise with the release of Shogun: Total War, which also was the first game in the franchise.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 5, 2018

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was a little surprised when, after unifying the northern third of the island, I declared war on mega-Wessex and instantly won a fame victory.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Multiple battle AI behavior sets were first implemented in the franchise with the release of Shogun: Total War, which also was the first game in the franchise.

It sure as hell highlights a major issue with TW in general, though. Even if youre right in that there is personality-dependent suicidal AI behavior, it's completely pointless if its not communicated to the player that such a thing is going on.

Plus, its worth keeping in mind when people talk about AI being good or bad, that AI isn't always designed with the purpose of being better than a player. Its likely designed with the majority of the playerbase in mind, who, by and large, really don't like to lose at video games, as opposed to countering obvious maneuvers and feeling smart about it. And their design decisions are at the end of the day made by a bunch of penny pinching suits who are a lot less interested in pushing the AI envelope than griping about how the designers aren't doing enough to win over the *LATEST MEGABUCKS TITLE* gaming crowd.

I hate it too.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Haven't played more than a few hours but so far ToB runs far far better and smoother on my ~2 year old comp than WH2.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Finally, realistic warfare

Quick! Someone tell Dan Carlin!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I have actually noticed a lot of units not shattered but having like 1 or 2 men left

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It sure as hell highlights a major issue with TW in general, though. Even if youre right in that there is personality-dependent suicidal AI behavior, it's completely pointless if its not communicated to the player that such a thing is going on.

Yes and this is what's really making me wonder what's a bug and what is intentional. Yesterday I was doing a coop campaign and we had a battle as the welsh against a slightly larger viking army that played out as a pyrrhic victory. The second my skirmishers ran out of ammo the AI completely switched formations and had its spear infantry run behind its ax units and instantly mirror any movements my cav made while ensuring that it had enough spacing between the two units that the spearmen would absorb any cavalry charge without it disrupting its ax units.

Immediately proceeding that battle we fought a similar one under similar circumstances and completely mopped up the enemy with zero issues because it just charged its infantry line into ours and allowed us to repeatedly cycle charge it from the rear.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Yes and this is what's really making me wonder what's a bug and what is intentional. Yesterday I was doing a coop campaign and we had a battle as the welsh against a slightly larger viking army that played out as a pyrrhic victory. The second my skirmishers ran out of ammo the AI completely switched formations and had its spear infantry run behind its ax units and instantly mirror any movements my cav made while ensuring that it had enough spacing between the two units that the spearmen would absorb any cavalry charge without it disrupting its ax units.

Immediately proceeding that battle we fought a similar one under similar circumstances and completely mopped up the enemy with zero issues because it just charged its infantry line into ours and allowed us to repeatedly cycle charge it from the rear.

Yeah I'm finding it very variable.
I had one battle where I tried to hunker down and the AI used it's missile supremacy to just force me to engage them instead, then in the same battle the AI bizxarely marched to the edge of the map and arranged all along the map edge with it's back facing me as if it was trying to flank round beyond the map limits or something.

Just tried some legendary out though my laptop runs the game very badly. Only battle I got into was two stacks against a Viking army and the AI happily let me flank them from both sides and sandwich them, all it did to my main force was suicide multiple units into my cavalry.

Also the AI seems to get big buffs to replenishment which suuuucks. It took me literally 7 turns to replenish my big stack to 80% after recruitment (while mostly on the move to be fair, but also garrisoning etc) and the AI raised an army to the same strength within 2 turns.

E: also the only reason I managed to fight with 2 stacks is cause the AI beelined for my minor settlements and thus ended it's turn in a suicidal position.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I noticed it was doing the old attila/rome thing of only thinking I have a 3gb card... Apparently the engine is still 32bit just modified. Whoops

I did wonder why it doesn't run as well as I'd expect (it still runs pretty well, much better than Attila, but turn times aren't as fast as you'd expect from the few factions and no agents and FPS isn't as high as youd expect from the small units with fairly low detail. I get comparable FPS on High to DeI which has much larger units with loads of variation)

"Some people have noticed that the GPU VRAM value doesn’t change above 3.5Gb. The reasoning for this is that the Attila engine, from which Thrones is based on, is a 32-bit application.
However, the engine is Large Address Aware – which essentially means that it can allocate more memory than the standard 32-bit limitations.
The Dev team has worked hard on performance and optimisation for Thrones, and as such it should never need to use more than 3.5GB of VRAM."

Additional weirdness: according to TWC raiding and tax exemption doesn't effect public order, I haven't tried myself though

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Only bug I've experienced was when I got in a fight in a really swampy province. The preview depicted a flat grassy plain, with some medium-sized forests here and there. When the battle loaded, there was a lake that took up about a quarter of the map, with really blotchy irregular edges. It didn't show up on the in-battle minimap either. Aside from the map stuff it worked just fine, it was impassable, and my units (and the AI) treated it as such.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nopantsjack posted:

I noticed it was doing the old attila/rome thing of only thinking I have a 3gb card... Apparently the engine is still 32bit just modified. Whoops

I did wonder why it doesn't run as well as I'd expect (it still runs pretty well, much better than Attila, but turn times aren't as fast as you'd expect from the few factions and no agents and FPS isn't as high as youd expect from the small units with fairly low detail. I get comparable FPS on High to DeI which has much larger units with loads of variation)

"Some people have noticed that the GPU VRAM value doesn’t change above 3.5Gb. The reasoning for this is that the Attila engine, from which Thrones is based on, is a 32-bit application.
However, the engine is Large Address Aware – which essentially means that it can allocate more memory than the standard 32-bit limitations.
The Dev team has worked hard on performance and optimisation for Thrones, and as such it should never need to use more than 3.5GB of VRAM."

Yeah this is really weird.

As I understand it VRAM doesn't need to be constrained to the same memory limitations with DX11, if you have a graphics card with 8GB of VRAM a 32bit program should be able to use all of your VRAM. Since ToB is 64 bit/DX11 only it's weird that they want to cap it at 3.5GB.

DEI constantly reached the memory cap when I was playing it. I don't think I've ever seen ToB run into VRAM issues unless I turn on unlimited video memory, which doesn't do anything for unit diversity from what I've seen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They just said it is not 64-bit.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arcsquad12 posted:

They just said it is not 64-bit.

It requires a 64bit OS.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 5, 2018

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

turn off the TV posted:

It requires a 64bit OS.

That's fine? If it's a 32-bit application it's still 32-bit, it has some hacks to let it address extra memory addresses, but "requiring a 64-bit OS" and being 64-bit are not close to the same thing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/8goibw/thrones_of_britannia_release_issues_and_questions/dydejyj/?context=3

seems like yeah, its a modified 32bit engine not 64bit

that explains a lot (slow loading, mediocre FPS), pretty drat disappointing. My main hope for it technically was it being 64bit and I assumed it would be cause of the 64bit OS thing and it being 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone have mod recommendations for Napoleon?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No one said ToB was broken you dips. Game is buggy by stanrdard CA pratice, the setting ain't that grand and there's not much to do other than conquer the same cities in the same island over and over again.

"But you see, the AI was being idiotic on purpose :smug:"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Beamed posted:

That's fine? If it's a 32-bit application it's still 32-bit, it has some hacks to let it address extra memory addresses, but "requiring a 64-bit OS" and being 64-bit are not close to the same thing.

You're not wrong.

nopantsjack posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/8goibw/thrones_of_britannia_release_issues_and_questions/dydejyj/?context=3

seems like yeah, its a modified 32bit engine not 64bit

that explains a lot (slow loading, mediocre FPS), pretty drat disappointing. My main hope for it technically was it being 64bit and I assumed it would be cause of the 64bit OS thing and it being 2018

I think that it leaves a lot more questions than what it answers. Because ToB only runs on a 64 bit OS and requires DirectX 11 as far as I know it should be allocated a full 4GB of system memory with any amount of VRAM. This is because DX11 doesn't mirror VRAM in system ram, so while a 32 bit process can still only use 4 gigs of system memory it should be able to use 4+ gigs of VRAM in addition with a 64 bit OS. At the moment it looks like that's not what's happening, because the game won't use more than 3.5 gigs between system and video memory.

I may just be wrong, but that's what everything on google and my own past experience indicates. STALKER: CoP is a 32 bit program and will use 4 gigs of system memory in addition to my card's VRAM.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 5, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Not only doesn't the AI know to defend sieges, they also don't know how to attack.

This was 3 full Norman Invader stacks, one attacked from the sea and the other two by land. Except they had no siege weapons, so they just hacked a gate down and tried to funnel through one gate. It didn't work out that well. For some reason the AI also kept sending single rogue units to other gates, but to the farthest possible gates, so they all slowly died to the gauntlet of towers on the way.

RIP Willy

Anyway, as expected, the final invasions are one wet fart. On harder difficulties you get more than one invasion at the same time, I got the Normans on the South and the Danes up in the north. The Dane invasion made landfall in Scotland and after I wrapped up the Normans and sent my troops North, I get the victory as Lochnach and it's allies killed all the Danes. GG.

The fame achievements seem to be broken too, I didn't get any for the 3 campaigns I did so far. Neither short for Dyflin and Gwined, nor Short and Long for West Seaxe.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I mean the download itself is only 5g's maybe there just not enough to fill it? I dont get what using more vram would get you in terms of performance i guess. Also it runs way better with adaptive vsync to limit it to 30 fps. Then its smooth until its calculating turns for me. I still somehow get screen tearing occasionally zooming around the map but its much smoother.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Electronico6 posted:

Not only doesn't the AI know to defend sieges, they also don't know how to attack.

This was 3 full Norman Invader stacks, one attacked from the sea and the other two by land. Except they had no siege weapons, so they just hacked a gate down and tried to funnel through one gate. It didn't work out that well. For some reason the AI also kept sending single rogue units to other gates, but to the farthest possible gates, so they all slowly died to the gauntlet of towers on the way.

RIP Willy

Anyway, as expected, the final invasions are one wet fart. On harder difficulties you get more than one invasion at the same time, I got the Normans on the South and the Danes up in the north. The Dane invasion made landfall in Scotland and after I wrapped up the Normans and sent my troops North, I get the victory as Lochnach and it's allies killed all the Danes. GG.

The fame achievements seem to be broken too, I didn't get any for the 3 campaigns I did so far. Neither short for Dyflin and Gwined, nor Short and Long for West Seaxe.

Yeah i didnt even notice the invasions they never made it through to my territory if they even spawned.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DogonCrook posted:

I mean the download itself is only 5g's maybe there just not enough to fill it? I dont get what using more vram would get you in terms of performance i guess. Also it runs way better with adaptive vsync to limit it to 30 fps. Then its smooth until its calculating turns for me. I still somehow get screen tearing occasionally zooming around the map but its much smoother.

I'm not sure. No matter what battle settings I pick the game always uses roughly the same amount of system and video ram. A siege battle with 6 full stacks each from a different faction uses about 300 more MB of VRAM and about the same amount of system ram as battle with two units total. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Man, I gave ToB a good chance, but I think I'll be getting a refund. Apart from the other criticism already levied, I just can't seem to get excited about hairy guys with ponytails and mustaches wearing potato sacks poking spears at other hairy peasants who may or may not have mail. I guess I've been spoiled by Warhammer, but I want to see shiny plate armor and other interesting poo poo like that.