Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Musk:tech bubble::Trump:real estate

He’s a blowhard that used his family’s blood money to build his companies that do nothing but burn investor money. Teslas aren’t even close to the best EVs on the road, cost 2-3x as much, and have a tendency to kill their drivers.

As opposed to all of those safe automobiles manufactured by GM and Ford, Toyota, Mazda, and Honda that totally haven't had literal fatal design flaws?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

psydude posted:

As opposed to all of those safe automobiles manufactured by GM and Ford, Toyota, Mazda, and Honda that totally haven't had literal fatal design flaws?

Nobody ever said that Lee Iacocca would save humanity or what the gently caress ever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m talking about the deaths due to “autopilot.” Teslas have a horrible safety record. I’m not saying that others haven’t had bad poo poo happen, but their response is usually recall and correction rather than to get into big public slapfights with regulatory bodies.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m talking about the deaths due to “autopilot.” Teslas have a horrible safety record. I’m not saying that others haven’t had bad poo poo happen, but their response is usually recall and correction rather than to get into big public slapfights with regulatory bodies.

lol

edit so I'm not just shitposting: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/07/30/michigan-seatbelt-law-anniversary-air-bags-takata/30242557/

e2: https://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/05/us/gm-is-held-liable-over-fuel-tanks-in-pickup-trucks.html

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 5, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The cocaine hasn't worn off since that conference call tbh

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/992876773695082496

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait is it really because Warren Buffet called him out lmao

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eej posted:

The cocaine hasn't worn off since that conference call tbh

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/992876773695082496

Read it in Al Gore's South Park voice

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Elon Musk unusual but not unexpected Meltdown May entrant.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
ManBearPig is real!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I can not wait to see elon musk naked on a street corner banging the gently caress out of the ground

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Third World Reggin posted:

I can not wait to see elon musk naked on a street corner banging the gently caress out of the ground

Which, uhhh, definition of 'banging' are we using here? Could go either way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Third World Reggin posted:

Meh, even if Tesla goes tits up, SpaceX is rolling and starting to do really well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The bolt blows the equivalent tesla out of the water. Basically all of the big auto manufacturers have EVs and hybrid options that are better than anything Tesla has to offer minus a 21” lcd in the middle of your dash that controls everything.

Chevy should try making their $30-40k+ Bolt/Volt cars look less like $10k poverty boxes. The Bolt is reminiscent of a drat Nissan Versa.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some dumbass in my apartment complex bought one of those chevy plug-in hybrids. I enjoy laughing at them when they string a drop cord out the door, over the railing, and 30 more feet to their car. That entire 15amp line must take for goddamn ever to charge the car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some dumbass in my apartment complex bought one of those chevy plug-in hybrids. I enjoy laughing at them when they string a drop cord out the door, over the railing, and 30 more feet to their car. That entire 15amp line must take for goddamn ever to charge the car.

Yeah you don't buy one of those unless you own your place and can afford the extra thousand and a half for a level 2 charger. Even then it's still 10 hours to charge from drained to full. On the other hand, when your power goes out, you can run your entire loving house for several days on the battery from one of those things, as long as you have the level 2 charger.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And if your typical travel day is either below 200 miles or an airline flight, pretty nifty.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The pro move is to buy one and also be the facilities guy at your company, who then specs two 60A 480v chargers onto the best parking spots when corporate starts pushing Green Initiative.

God I love my boss sometimes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mlmp08 posted:

And if your typical travel day is either below 200 miles or an airline flight, pretty nifty.

My dad beat up VW and got a 3 year lease on an e-Golf and it was definitely worth it since that distance covers most trips. He did have to find a quick charging station that had something to do nearby every now and then though.

My school has 6 or so spots in the lot for chargers and the same cars always get them. Jealous but I couldn't justify the range.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lightpole posted:

My dad beat up VW and got a 3 year lease on an e-Golf and it was definitely worth it since that distance covers most trips. He did have to find a quick charging station that had something to do nearby every now and then though.

My school has 6 or so spots in the lot for chargers and the same cars always get them. Jealous but I couldn't justify the range.

I'm definitely looking at used Volts for my next car. Probably won't get one because I need more cargo space, but I will think about it. I can install the charger myself.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a lot of charging stations in the DC region, that's for sure. My apartment complex put in 2 about a year ago, now they've got uh...I dunno 12?

I sure do love having cars basically sneak up on me now. That little speaker to make fake engine noise doesn't do poo poo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I don't think I could go electric, I love my car and truck and the noises they make

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't think I could go electric, I love my car and truck and the noises they make

It's not like they haven't been making your Mustang or BMW car stereo play engine noises when you drive already

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i wonder when SF units are gonna use electric cars so they can toot around at night with quiet little cars

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Eej posted:

It's not like they haven't been making your Mustang or BMW car stereo play engine noises when you drive already

I removed the "sound tube" on my camaro

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.stripes.com/news/an-ico...drawer-1.524240

50 years for my second favorite pen

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't drive anywhere anymore, so I'm going to continue burning dead dinosaurs every time I go to the store or the gym for the foreseeable future.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
OH GREAT

John Bolton has decade-long association with anti-Islam activist Pamela Geller

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/23/politics/kfile-john-bolton-pamela-geller/index.html

CNN posted:

John Bolton, Donald Trump's pick to be the next national security adviser, has a decade-long history of associating with anti-Islam activist Pamela Geller.

The former UN ambassador wrote the foreword to Geller's 2010 book that she coauthored with fellow anti-Islam activist Robert Spencer titled "The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America." Bolton also appeared twice on Geller's internet radio program "Atlas on the Air" and twice on her video blog.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fairly sure that’s a selling point to the bigly one.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Color me not surprised.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

And your point is?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

ded posted:

And your point is?

She's a crazy anti Muslim oval office who espouses and spreads a bigoted message. The fact that our new National Security Advisor not only doesn't distance himself from her, but embraces her, is disturbing on multiple levels. It is counterproductive to the goal of fighting terrorism. It gives terrorist groups yet another win, because they can say that yet again Trump is anti-muslim, look at this anti-muslim idiot he just appointed to be National Security Advisor. It also is counterproductive to the mission of counterterrorism and reducing radicalization both in the US and abroad because these people alienate moderates and our allies alike.

Basically, every single expert in the counterterrorism and national security field knows that we have to embrace moderate Muslims, support them in their fight against terrorist groups, and stop giving propaganda wins to our enemies. Muslims in community is across America have helped to stop many potential terrorist attacks that could have occurred, had they not tipped-off local law enforcement or the FBI. poo poo, even Pakistan, who basically double dips and plays us for fools at times has helped us to capture some very high-level Al queda targets. Our Muslim allies around the globe from Jordan to Indonesia help us in the fight against terrorists.

The so-called Muslim ban, as well as issues like this (appointing clearly anti-Islam assholes), are counterproductive, and only alienates the Muslims in the communities across America and the world. That demonstrably makes us less safe as a nation.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

She's a crazy anti Muslim oval office who espouses and spreads a bigoted message. The fact that our new National Security Advisor not only doesn't distance himself from her, but embraces her, is disturbing on multiple levels. It is counterproductive to the goal of fighting terrorism. It gives terrorist groups yet another win, because they can say that yet again Trump is anti-muslim, look at this anti-muslim idiot he just appointed to be National Security Advisor. It also is counterproductive to the mission of counterterrorism and reducing radicalization both in the US and abroad because these people alienate moderates and our allies alike.

Basically, every single expert in the counterterrorism and national security field knows that we have to embrace moderate Muslims, support them in their fight against terrorist groups, and stop giving propaganda wins to our enemies. Muslims in community is across America have helped to stop many potential terrorist attacks that could have occurred, had they not tipped-off local law enforcement or the FBI. poo poo, even Pakistan, who basically double dips and plays us for fools at times has helped us to capture some very high-level Al queda targets. Our Muslim allies around the globe from Jordan to Indonesia help us in the fight against terrorists.

The so-called Muslim ban, as well as issues like this (appointing clearly anti-Islam assholes), are counterproductive, and only alienates the Muslims in the communities across America and the world. That demonstrably makes us less safe as a nation.

That's great and all, but all that poo poo has been known for the last 10+ years. If you were posting this on 12 September, 2001 then yeah, I guess we'd probably be a bit more concerned.

Also lmao if you think the people in the current admin actually care about fighting terrorism rather than looting this country blind.

Edit: For crying out loud John Bolton was too crazy to get approved as the UN ambassador under Bush, so no one here is probably surprised about his views on Muslims or the company he keeps.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 6, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It never ceases to amaze me how the people who scream the loudest about protecting America are invariably her biggest enemies, whether intentionally or accidentally.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

She's a crazy anti Muslim oval office who espouses and spreads a bigoted message.

Our president is a crazy anti-Muslim oval office who espouses and spreads a bigoted message, so I'm not really sure why you're so upset!!!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Truth

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/pFLrAp8.mp4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:stare: holy poo poo

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i wonder when SF units are gonna use electric cars so they can toot around at night with quiet little cars

As soon as the range makes EVs relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Usually? How about suppressing test results or settling with surviving family members out of court under strict non-disclosure agreements.

I guess it's the cool goon thing to hate on Tesla right now, but I'm not sure you can compare 3 people dying for abusing autopilot to the Ford/Firestone or Takata scandals.

Also I'm not sure where you're getting this terrible safety record thing from. Their cars consistently achieve top marks compared to other car companies.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 6, 2018

• Locked thread