Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I will be there Friday and Satuday with Dr. Gargunza. Probably mostly just hanging with friends and gaming in the halls, but maybe some time in the open game room. I remember around 2010/2011 hanging with some Goons in the open game room to play Mage Knight and some other games. It's looking like we'll have a decent number of people from our local game group there who are goons or goon-adjacent. Wouldn't mind meeting up with some folks for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you all want me to recreate the goon gen con contact spreadsheet for this year? It was useful for a few years but since phones have gotten better it seems that groupme has essentially taken over. If any of you still would use it I am happy to put it back together for 2018.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ah, finally, back to a non-50th-Gen-Con, and me looking at the event list and being like "...mehhhhhhhhh" (not that Dungeons & Dragons & Diners & Drive-Ins & Dives will not be amazing, it is just that like most events it will overlap too much with something I want to see at the Auction)

nesbit37 posted:

Do you know if Frank is coming back to the auction this year, Quarex? He hasn't had much luck with cons since his major social media and suave old man fail last year.
Oh huh, I forgot about that whole debacle since I mostly left social media right around the time it was going down.

He did say he was not retiring like Tim, but that he was not planning on being quite as active as he had been. Probably will still do the Crème de la Crème Auction and maybe some of the Charity Auction.

I also find it funny that Frank Mentzer may be the one person who ever tried to get a big tabletop supplement going whose problem was that he planned it out too well. Too well other than knowing how much people would donate anyway.

Also I love the spreadsheet but GroupMe IN THEORY should be just as good if everyone actually uses it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been told this Sunday is when events open for sign up. So start wishlisting!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been told this Sunday is when events open for sign up. So start wishlisting!

It feels very weird to me since I am wishlisting nothing this year. I am going to kind of miss the hair pulling out frustration that event registration can be.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

It feels very weird to me since I am wishlisting nothing this year. I am going to kind of miss the hair pulling out frustration that event registration can be.

I only did a handful of events with One Shot/Campaign people, otherwise I was just wandered around taking it all in. Might focus a bit more for my second time.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Some friends and I are trying to coordinate events, with each of us buying tickets for each other. Most of us are going to be in the same place Sunday for a game day too, so we can all not get anything we signed up for together.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I may have gone slightly overboard in planning out my wishlist. Color coded excel sheets were involved :spergin:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Haystack posted:

I may have gone slightly overboard in planning out my wishlist. Color coded excel sheets were involved :spergin:

I've done that. Right now, though, I only have a couple of events that I want in that I know will sell out (YTCC games, Giant Lego Robo Rally) so I'm putting those on my wishlist, but eventually, I'll just browse by game time and time and jump into random events. (I want to play a board game Thursday at 5:00; what's open?)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

CellBlock posted:

Giant Lego Robo Rally

don't do super robo rally it's really bad

i just want all the tickets, it's actually the best event at gen con

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Does anyone have the better event list than the one the site provides? I'm looking to just browse for new stuff to try.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2018.cgi/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've wishlisted a few events but how does that work exactly? Does it just give you any easy way to link to all of the events you want once they open for registration?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Moon Monster posted:

I've wishlisted a few events but how does that work exactly? Does it just give you any easy way to link to all of the events you want once they open for registration?

You just submit your wishlist all at once and it tries to get you tickets based on your order in line and the priority you’ve assigned

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Be warned that, at least last year, if you have any overlap on events the system throws a shitfit and cancels your "chance" to get the tickets till you fix it and resubmit.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Be warned that, at least last year, if you have any overlap on events the system throws a shitfit and cancels your "chance" to get the tickets till you fix it and resubmit.

Isn’t that the entire reason you put a numerical order to the wishlist: so you can put conflicting events on it and it’ll only book the first one it finds in order with tickets available?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

fordan posted:

Isn’t that the entire reason you put a numerical order to the wishlist: so you can put conflicting events on it and it’ll only book the first one it finds in order with tickets available?

Looks like that's how it works I guess. Maybe my list was bugged - last year I had one or two conflicts essentially cause a big cascade that caused a billion problems with my list and basically messed up every event I had, as Event 1 would be sold out, it would auto skip Conflicting Events 2 and 3, and so on. Clearly not a universal issue tho!
http://www.gencon.com/forums/23-events-2017/topics/7549-overlapping-wish-list-submissions

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 4, 2018

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Looks like that's how it works I guess. Maybe my list was bugged - last year I had one or two conflicts essentially cause a big cascade that caused a billion problems with my list and basically messed up every event I had, as Event 1 would be sold out, it would auto skip Conflicting Events 2 and 3, and so on. Clearly not a universal issue tho!
http://www.gencon.com/forums/23-events-2017/topics/7549-overlapping-wish-list-submissions

For what it's worth, this happened with my group too. We spent a lot of time setting up a list of cascading priorities so that we could log in with relative ease, and as soon as 1 of the events we wanted sold out it basically destroyed everything and wasted a ton of time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I solved the problem by only signing up for 4 events that didn't overlap. I did look at a lot of RPGs and finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to be stuck at a table for 4-6 hours with people that I may or may not like.

Leaves more time for board games!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I solved the problem by only signing up for 4 events that didn't overlap. I did look at a lot of RPGs and finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to be stuck at a table for 4-6 hours with people that I may or may not like.

Leaves more time for board games!

Check out Games On Demand, I think they run in 2 or 4 hour blocks and there's usually some weird/fun smaller game systems to try.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I do Games on Demand usually for like, one full day of the Con and it's always a highlight. Shout out to me in the Groupme if you go along and we can team up

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I do Games on Demand usually for like, one full day of the Con and it's always a highlight. Shout out to me in the Groupme if you go along and we can team up

Was that the thing we tried to do but they only had slots later, so we did board games until it was time?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was that the thing we tried to do but they only had slots later, so we did board games until it was time?

That was the one! We got pretty unlucky iirc and had to go last, but it being right next to the Hot Games Room was rad cause you could just go next door and bumble through some new game for a while

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ugh, I'm really kinda bummed out that I'm not going to GenCon this year. I should have signed up...plus, I'd get to see some friends!!!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Soooo fix it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ego Trip posted:

Soooo fix it?

I thought tickets sold out quickly?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Pollyanna posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the con is not sold out as of yet. They have said it is on pace to sell out again this year, but I don't think it has done so. Hotel space is a different matter though.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
There are still hotels, just only by the airport

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Its possible they sold out quicker last year, due to it being the 50th event. Checking my emails, I didn't even buy our two 4-day tickets until July 1st last year. I think they sold out a couple weeks later? Also worth noting that 2017 was the first year they ever sold out.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Never too late to do GenCon in your car in the parking basement across the street from the con center

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Never too late to do GenCon in your car in the parking basement across the street from the con center

False, everyday past your 30th birthday is too late to pull that poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Holla holla get dolla. Finished setting up my Gencon schedule.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Besides always trying and failing to get into one of Moles' masterpieces, I have a hard time getting a bunch of tickets for events besides FFGs panel (shutup I have a problem) and listening to Carlos be problematic at Corvus Belli's panel. I got too many tickets the first year and didn't go to half the events, instead spending the rest of the time in the dealer hall, playing/drinking with goons, and chilling in the auction. Anything must see?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Carteret posted:

Besides always trying and failing to get into one of Moles' masterpieces, I have a hard time getting a bunch of tickets for events besides FFGs panel (shutup I have a problem) and listening to Carlos be problematic at Corvus Belli's panel. I got too many tickets the first year and didn't go to half the events, instead spending the rest of the time in the dealer hall, playing/drinking with goons, and chilling in the auction. Anything must see?

Nothing massively leapt out at me as a Must Do, some friends and I are hoping to get into the single Tales From The Loop game, but I anticipate 90% of my time spent in Games on Demand, Goons, Board Games Library and other pickup nonsense.

also this year I practically designed Escape From Flavourtown with goongame in mind so HYPE HYPE

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Goon speed today all! Just remember, if you don't get into the events you want you can always come play my Bee Game with me in the dealers hall.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My friends and I decided to just squat a ballroom in the JW and bring a bunch of random poo poo to play together like X-Wing, Gloomhaven, MTG drafting, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and some other random board games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh well, I hadn’t signed up for any interesting events and I don’t really have a plan for it this year. Maybe next year I’ll bum off of my friend’s apartment in exchange for food and car :v:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

t-minus 1 minute till disappointment

edit: the entire site fell over, just as the ancient texts prophesied

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 6, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Who farted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My wish list was submitted, and now I sit and watch the spinny gif as it processes and the site crashes in a holy fire.