Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

orange sky posted:

http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/subjects-of-instruction/electrical-engineering/

I don't get it. In junior year you only have three classes? Or is this a thing with the major and minor stuff you have? Does the minor have like 5 more classes? Because my ms involved 10 classes each year, 5 classes per semester, for five years, all related and relevant to EE..

E: except for the dissertation semesters, where I had I think 2 classes plus dissertation

you linked the requirements for a bs not a ms. To get a masters in the us you usually have to do an additional 1-2 years after that all in your degree area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I went to a state school with a nationally accoladed engineering program.

but the types of people that go to Harvard aren’t the types of people who work or are smart or constructive for worthy projects, they are the type of people who should be guillotined along with their parents and family pets.

Harvard and the ivys are good to have around because it's a formative learning experience the day you learn that the people who get accepted there aren't necessarily very smart or hardworking, but often rich entitled failsons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Nastier Nate posted:

Harvard and the ivys are good to have around because it's a formative learning experience the day you learn that the people who get accepted there aren't necessarily very smart or hardworking, but often rich entitled failsons.

thats a hella defeatist point of view

instead, work towards a world without the ivy leages, their fraternities, shieeet , classical exclusionism, the Danish govt, organized labor is excellent etc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wait, did that guy actually take 5 years for a ms only

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Of the people I knew who got into ivies (or places like MIT), the ones who got into MIT and Cal-Tech were both genuinely smart/talented (though still from upper-middle class families, because literally everyone I knew who got into them was) while the ones who got into Princeton/Yale/Stanford/Harvard were your typical "students who study ridiculously hard and take a zillion practice SATs, but aren't exceptionally smart." Those people now mostly work for consulting firms (it's actually kind of uncanny how many went on to work in consulting now that I think about it; it seems like the elite consulting firms hire heavily from the ivies), though one went into law.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Krankenstyle posted:

thats a hella defeatist point of view

instead, work towards a world without the ivy leages, their fraternities, shieeet , classical exclusionism, the Danish govt, organized labor is excellent etc

Can we keep the horny lions?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ytlaya posted:

Of the people I knew who got into ivies (or places like MIT), the ones who got into MIT and Cal-Tech were both genuinely smart/talented (though still from upper-middle class families, because literally everyone I knew who got into them was) while the ones who got into Princeton/Yale/Stanford/Harvard were your typical "students who study ridiculously hard and take a zillion practice SATs, but aren't exceptionally smart." Those people now mostly work for consulting firms (it's actually kind of uncanny how many went on to work in consulting now that I think about it; it seems like the elite consulting firms hire heavily from the ivies), though one went into law.

My sister went to Penn and we definetly aren’t rich or even upper-middle class so yes there’s plenty of people who deserve to be there, but there’s also plenty of rich assholes who don’t (especially at Wharton).

Two of her friends that I know of from Penn went on to consulting firms.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dreddout posted:

Can we keep the horny lions?

sure, fine by me

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Similarly, roughy half of the graduating class at Harvard every year ends up working at big investment banks. A mix of nepotism and the typical Harvard hyper-overachiever being suited for an industry known for ridiculous hours and generally being a meat grinder in exchange for making mad cash, because that was the ultimate goal of all the prep courses, extracurriculars, sleepless nights, teenage panic attacks, etc...

The_Franz has issued a correction as of 15:46 on May 5, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Most Ivy grads I've met are smart, well rounded individuals and they work in varied fields, from the Law to dream interpretation / Shamanistic stuff

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Most people I met at Brown were either stupid or congenitally incurious.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i know lots of smart people who work in dream interpretation

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Most Ivy grads I've met are smart, well rounded individuals and they work in varied fields, from the Law to dream interpretation / Shamanistic stuff

That reminds me of this old USA Today infographic

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can scarcely think of a worse potential shaman than someone with the social and ideological indoctrinations of an ivy grad

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

zeal posted:

i can scarcely think of a worse potential shaman than someone with the social and ideological indoctrinations of an ivy grad
Just look at Silicon Valley spiritualism to see what they created

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

look they did good in school that means theyre smart okay, just like genius doctor dr Oz

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I used to think the same thing, until I realized that what I was actually seeing was "the impact of being materially well-off enabling a person to do a bunch of interesting/fun things."

edit: I think that the "smart" part is often less about actually being smart and more about fitting the cultural image we associate with "smart," though.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.ft.com/content/e2d6588a-5042-11e8-b3ee-41e0209208ec

quote:

Refugee camps presented an opportunity for private sector investment, particularly when combined with the local host community, the UN and International Finance Corporation have concluded after analysing the economy of one of the world’s largest centres for displaced people. 

Governments and development agencies should do more to support private sector investment in such areas, according to Philippe Le Houerou, chief executive of the IFC, the World Bank’s investment arm. 

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/IPM_Prime/status/992238381760466944

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

even after their tuition waiver for lower income, Stanford still found themselves with students whose families had a median income of like 180K+

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

all of this poo poo in this thread is a bummer, but soon the day comes Conrads

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Most people I met at Brown were either stupid or congenitally incurious.

Providence is a really cool city at least.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I’m thinking of a guy I went to high school with who went to an ivy and is now a lawyer and a real FYGM republican, which isn’t unusual. The funny part is he’s one of these never Trumpers who think this whole Trump thing is a phase, can’t wait for Mike Pence to become president and that eventually the reincarnation of conservative hero Ronald Reagan is gonna ride in on a white horse and restore the GOP to the slightly less racist version of the party they were in 1985.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Over Easy posted:

That reminds me of this old USA Today infographic

That's some nice work but it's not like I met an entire graduating class.

Guess I've just had the cloth pulled over my eyes for too long to realize how ignorant and awful my friends are

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

heres some good guillotine material

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/992522961742630920

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Providence is a really cool city at least.

Absolutely! I especially enjoyed it after moving off College Hill after graduation. My wife and I hope to settle there someday if it becomes an option.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/HarryBorlase/status/420283087504035841

:lol: by refusing to unionize, you support [YOUR COUNTRY]! that is why we proudly display the flag of [YOUR COUNTRY] on this poster mass produced by a multinational corporation

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Offering people money to report union organizing is peak guillotine material.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tricks and threats are common in union organizing. And we should know, we're the ones issuing them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
nooooooooooo

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/993611527965028352

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Significant Ant posted:

even after their tuition waiver for lower income, Stanford still found themselves with students whose families had a median income of like 180K+

A girl I dated in HS went to Stanford. Her dad was someone fairly high up in International Paper (which is centered somewhere in or near Memphis). I remember that her family was Republican and that this surprised me because most of the other Asian (mostly Chinese/Korean) students at our school were liberals. I have a very vivid memory of playing ping pong at her house and the topic of the election coming up (this was near the end of 2000) and her mentioning that she was happy Bush won and that I was very shocked about that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mods??? ban her

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

class transcends race

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that's a nice idea but a hilarious thing to say after we got trump from lovely white people of all income levels lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

that's a nice idea but a hilarious thing to say after we got trump from lovely white people of all income levels lol

Except he’s not wrong.

The majority of the country did not vote. It is a fact that the majority of Trump supporters were women and people of color, because that phrase doesn’t actually mean anything.

Trump’s strongest support was from middle and wealthy class white people. If you want to game statistics you can argue whatever point you want.

The fact is that the wealthy are too afraid of losing their material luxuries and the power they exert over the vulnerable that that they will band together to get behind any politician who promises to protect the wealth of the little lords our neofeudal society has produced as its rulers.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Stop aiming for work-life 'balance', says Amazon's Bezos

quote:

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos isn’t a fan of the phrase “work-life balance”.

At a recent awards event hosted by Axel Springer and Business Insider US editor-in-chief Alyson Shontell, Bezos revealed the counterintuitive advice he offers new Amazon employees.

Bezos believes that his new hires should stop attempting to achieve “balance” within their professional and personal lives, since that implies a strict trade-off between the two. Instead, Bezos envisions a more holistic relationship between work and life outside the office.

Historically, the world’s richest man has a non-traditional approach to work: he makes time for breakfast every morning with his family, doesn’t set his alarm before going to bed, schedules surprisingly few meetings, and still sets aside a few minutes every day to wash his own dishes.

This counterintuitive approach to maintaining a healthy symmetry within his professional and personal pursuits is one of the chief pieces of advice Bezos offers his staff.

“This work-life harmony thing is what I try to teach young employees and actually senior executives at Amazon too. But especially the people coming in,” he said. “I get asked about work-life balance all the time. And my view is, that’s a debilitating phrase because it implies there’s a strict trade-off.”

Instead of viewing work and life as a balancing act, Bezos said that it’s more productive to view them as two integrated parts.

“It actually is a circle. It’s not a balance,” Bezos said.

Bezos said that the relationship between his work life and personal life is reciprocal, and that he doesn’t compartmentalise them into two competing time constraints.

“If I am happy at home, I come into the office with tremendous energy,” said Bezos. “And if I am happy at work, I come home with tremendous energy. You never want to be that guy — and we all have a co-worker who’s that person — who, as soon as they come into a meeting, they drain all the energy out of the room … You want to come into the office and give everyone a kick in their step.”

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
lol imagine being such a huuuuge fucker that you say to a reporter the words "you want to go into the office" lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He still occasionally posts to his own site, like maybe once a month at best.

how has his art gotten significantly worse tho.

that is genuinely the worst caricature of trump

wth

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

drawing trump looking like kris jenner to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I remember a story Bezos himself told back when Amazon was still new and only sold books. He deigned to spend an hour or two slobbing it with the plebs on the warehouse floor as they grabbed books off the shelves and had to sort them all out while on their hands and knees because there was nothing else available to them.

Bezos apparently said to one of them, "Hey, I should probably buy you guys some kneepads, right?" and the guy replied, "No, you should buy us some tables."