Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

boner confessor posted:

i dislike the terminology "lost". can we say it was "liberated" instead

Gigshared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

archangelwar posted:

And what used to be code copy pasta from StackOverflow is getting replaced with CLI copy pasta from git repo markdown READMEs and config file tuning wikis. Mobile apps are in a slightly different lifecycle stage than webapps, but rapidly improving hardware coupled with the fact that most apps are just hobbyist garbage is accelerating the same expansion-contraction cycle anyway.

What I am trying to say is that tech sucks, I hate myself, I hate my coworkers and I want to build an aquaponic farm in the middle of nowhere and see the smiling faces of all my fish friends every day for the rest of my life.

Same

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

archangelwar posted:

What I am trying to say is that tech sucks, I hate myself, I hate my coworkers and I want to build an aquaponic farm in the middle of nowhere and see the smiling faces of all my fish friends every day for the rest of my life.
Become disabled! It solves all your pesky coworker problems!
F---, do not recommend

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note the kicker, boldfaced. "Most" programmers build websites or web interfaces, in whatever the modern equivalent of Visual Basic is. For those, you don't need to know much about O(N!) or polymorphism, because creating UIs requires* a lot of knowledge about design and not a lot about software internals. I am curious what the author means by "apps", because writing a phone app requires a lot of knowledge in order to keep it within the size constraints and perform well.

It's like saying "Most writers write for corporations". Probably true, but doesn't say anything about the class of writer who writes standalone works. I've always hung out on the end of the software spectrum that develops the APIs and infrastructure thereto. Those people are the ones you're thinking about. There's (at most) one of those for every thousand website/app developers.

* You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one.
I mean this isn't really wrong, but even gluing stuff together can get very complicated. When an application is big, just discovering how it works and then holding that in your head takes a fair amount of skill.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

I mean this isn't really wrong, but even gluing stuff together can get very complicated. When an application is big, just discovering how it works and then holding that in your head takes a fair amount of skill.

This is absolutely true. And I'm told that constructing a really good Javascript page model and thinking through all the interactions is not for the skill-less, especially since Javascript is a memory hog if you aren't careful.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is absolutely true. And I'm told that constructing a really good Javascript page model and thinking through all the interactions is not for the skill-less, especially since Javascript is a memory hog if you aren't careful.

Judging by the internet at large, people are rarely careful then.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tesla owners, including the guy who just got killed in one*, complain that they have a habit of swerving unexpectedly.

quote:

And yet, the issue of unexpected veering, drifting and lane-shifting has popped up repeatedly. The most recent driver complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concerning Autopilot, filed April 22 by an unidentified Los Angeles driver, said the driver’s Tesla had abruptly veered toward a bridge abutment in August, and added that similar problems had happened multiple times.

“The way Autopilot suddenly swerves out of the lane should not be considered normal,” the driver wrote.

After the recent Mountain View crash, another driver posted video online showing his Tesla, on Autopilot, veering toward the same median where Huang died. Teslas are a common sight on that stretch of Highway 101, at the junction of Highway 85, so cars running on Autopilot should have plenty of experience with it.

* He reported it prehumously, dummies.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Facebook is running this eye rolling commercial, ugh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zd7X98eOs

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tesla owners, including the guy who just got killed in one*, complain that they have a habit of swerving unexpectedly.

* He reported it prehumously, dummies.

im glad they managed to mess up cruise control, a feature on cars that has existed for like, 50 years

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Google just lowered the free threshhold for embedding a Google Map in a website from 2,000,000 page loads per month to 14,000 page loads per month, increased the cost for usage above the free threshhold, increased the cost of advanced features like choosing colors (e.g. night mode theme) by 300-400%, and increased JavaScript costs by 1400%.

https://national.wfgnationaltitle.com/2018/05/04/price-hike-to-google-maps-api-could-hit-some-brokerages-hard/

Even before this change, most corporate store locators have already switched to MapQuest or OpenStreetMap

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

archangelwar posted:

And what used to be code copy pasta from StackOverflow is getting replaced with CLI copy pasta from git repo markdown READMEs and config file tuning wikis. Mobile apps are in a slightly different lifecycle stage than webapps, but rapidly improving hardware coupled with the fact that most apps are just hobbyist garbage is accelerating the same expansion-contraction cycle anyway.

Yeah, I'll be right with you, as soon as my rapacious megacorp RSUs tank.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

archangelwar posted:

While not as note/newsworthy I take satisfaction in the fact that the ousted CEO of Blue Apron lost $70mil of his and his friends/family money on Juicero.

hahahaha no loving way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

galenanorth posted:

Google just lowered the free threshhold for embedding a Google Map in a website from 2,000,000 page loads per month to 14,000 page loads per month, increased the cost for usage above the free threshhold, increased the cost of advanced features like choosing colors (e.g. night mode theme) by 300-400%, and increased JavaScript costs by 1400%.

https://national.wfgnationaltitle.com/2018/05/04/price-hike-to-google-maps-api-could-hit-some-brokerages-hard/

Even before this change, most corporate store locators have already switched to MapQuest or OpenStreetMap

If any of them provide any navigational assistance, we're going to see a lot more cars on stairs. :v;

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VideoGameVet posted:

It had Apple's own native apps. Clever people were even hacking the phone to do their own.

Me? I co-designed some of the first web-app based games on the iPhone.

Prior to that, I was an exec at a company doing J2ME/BREW stuff in the mid-2000-decade.

He’s not going to listen to someone with firsthand knowledge that apps were being planned for, he’s certainly not going to listen to someone who hacked their phone before the planned support became available.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fishmech posted:

Judging by the internet at large, people are rarely careful then.

Software doesn't need frameworks, best practices, performance goals, good design, user experience or security. It doesn't even have to be useful, but it helps.

There is so much bad software out there that people use every day.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

yurtcradled posted:

Yeah, I'll be right with you, as soon as my rapacious megacorp RSUs tank.

Maybe I should pitch my fish farm idea to VCs as a mental health facility for tech refugees.

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahahaha no loving way.

I have worked a lot of roles at a lot of companies with bad management, but Blue Apron really took the cake. I have soooo many stories.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

He’s not going to listen to someone with firsthand knowledge that apps were being planned for, he’s certainly not going to listen to someone who hacked their phone before the planned support became available.

I really don't know why you keep bragging about "I was on the team too incompetent to make a real smartphone, so released a bad phone and tried to pretend it was a real plan to make a good phone". That's just an admission the whole project was a terrible idea, which it was.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

archangelwar posted:

I have worked a lot of roles at a lot of companies with bad management, but Blue Apron really took the cake. I have soooo many stories.

If you didn't sign an NDA, please, please tell us. And if you did, create a thinly-disguised throwaway who worked at Azure Smock.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But my favorite podcast hosts says they love Blue Apron! How can it be bad?!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does podcast advertising generally pay off or is it just me that's bought maybe 3 things advertised on podcasts ever in the thousands of hours of my life wasted listening to them

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

Does podcast advertising generally pay off or is it just me that's bought maybe 3 things advertised on podcasts ever in the thousands of hours of my life wasted listening to them

Think of podcast advertising as another way for startups to spend VC money in a way that benefits you personally. The main way is of course subsidizing prices unsustainably.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

archangelwar posted:

Maybe I should pitch my fish farm idea to VCs as a mental health facility for tech refugees.

Isn't their "1month free trial" drop off rate something like 90-95%? In any other business you'd close the doors and sell the furniture at that point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

Isn't their "1month free trial" drop off rate something like 90-95%? In any other business you'd close the doors and sell the furniture at that point.

That's about that last I heard, and I can understand why. One friends of our got it and had a coupon code that gave them something or other if we we got it for the free trial. You know, free food, see if it's worth it. It totally wasn't and we cancelled, never paying them a dime.

Thanks for a couple of so-so dinners techbros!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Help Im Alive posted:

That's probably on par with radio advertising impact.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

eschaton posted:

Note: I never went the hack route. That first "iPhone Game Ever" was a web-based Wack-A-Mole game with Steve Ballmer (Microsoft) and because of it, Apple was very good to us for a time (we heard Jobs liked it). Our first iPhone native app was one of the "First 500" and although we achieved modest successes during the years, we got featured more than most publishers.

The Big Lesson: You have to get old school types to understand that launching an app is just the beginning, iteration based on user responses is critical.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

VideoGameVet posted:

Note: I never went the hack route. That first "iPhone Game Ever" was a web-based Wack-A-Mole game with Steve Ballmer (Microsoft) and because of it, Apple was very good to us for a time (we heard Jobs liked it). Our first iPhone native app was one of the "First 500" and although we achieved modest successes during the years, we got featured more than most publishers.

The Big Lesson: You have to get old school types to understand that launching an app is just the beginning, iteration based on user responses is critical.

Software is never done. Every piece of software is a little like that American Versailles mansion: still renovating even in foreclosure. It's not just build and deploy.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

galenanorth posted:

tbf, tiles are the bit that's costly. Using OSM data yourself tends not to work out actually cheaper, from what I hear (haven't done it myself), but it's worth it for more control. I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy OSM data rendering as a service.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

archangelwar posted:

It's not like there was ever a magical age in programming where this kind of thing wasn't true, though. Before github and stack overflow and the general readily available nature of information on the internet you just had programmers doing a lot more busywork. Instead of pulling whatever you needed from npm or nuget or whatever you'd just find and implement a solution out of a book or, even worse, build it yourself. Architecting applications and gluing poo poo together has always been the real work of actual development, modern practices just minimize the grunt work of building common components.

Coincidentally, the first time I really remember people bitching about programmers "just fitting pieces together" was back in the late 90s with Java. I'm sure people were complaining about it long before that, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Coincidentally, the first time I really remember people bitching about programmers "just fitting pieces together" was back in the late 90s with Java. I'm sure people were complaining about it long before that, though.
Assembler is the only true code and compilers are for wimps. I suppose the modern equivalent is that only firmware counts?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I suppose the modern equivalent is that only firmware counts?

About that...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Assembler is the only true code and compilers are for wimps. I suppose the modern equivalent is that only firmware counts?

If your CPU doesn’t have a writable microstore…

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/992876606979952640?s=21
His only customer will be Notch

Wasn't there something about Elon hiring Onion writers for some comedy project? Anything come from that yet?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

aware of dog posted:

Wasn't there something about Elon hiring Onion writers for some comedy project? Anything come from that yet?

Tesla Inc.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

oh my god this is blowing my mind right now. From a music tech/DIY perspective, what an interesting piece of hardware... Like there are so many throw-away JS synth implementations you could toss on there no problem, and M3/M4s are about as fancy as anything in modular gets these days.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

divabot posted:

tbf, tiles are the bit that's costly. Using OSM data yourself tends not to work out actually cheaper, from what I hear (haven't done it myself), but it's worth it for more control. I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy OSM data rendering as a service.

Like this?

https://www.mapbox.com/maps/

For what it is worth, my nearly-direct experience with using OSM data directly is that it was worth it for more control and also cheaper than paying Google, by a significant amount. That said, we are pretty heavy map users and this is likely not a reasonable trade-off for most consumers of Google maps, and they probably know it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wow. I could have a lot of fun with that, even considering the time it would take to spin up on Javascript.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Paradoxish posted:

It's not like there was ever a magical age in programming where this kind of thing wasn't true, though. Before github and stack overflow and the general readily available nature of information on the internet you just had programmers doing a lot more busywork. Instead of pulling whatever you needed from npm or nuget or whatever you'd just find and implement a solution out of a book or, even worse, build it yourself. Architecting applications and gluing poo poo together has always been the real work of actual development, modern practices just minimize the grunt work of building common components.

Hah I was there then too. I completely agree, there have been various stages of automation/advancement and it is all part of the interesting expansion-collapse cycle of software. I am just at the point where I want off the roller coaster... Blue Apron stories will follow when I am sober. I also have Spotify, Amazon, and intelligence/3letter stories if those are interesting as well. Obviously filtered by agreements.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Paradoxish posted:

I learned to code pre-internet and without knowing anyone else who could code. So it's lucky I had a tragic lack of any sort of life as a teenager, as problems would take me *months* to figure out, because if it wasn't in the local library, the only solution was "try everything."

Love Stack Overflow.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFRbjjjwCE