Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/why-donald-trump-should-get-the-nobel-peace-prize/news-story/1349d5466a501e4b5ebf9f13653fbec1

Joe hildebrand farted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

having worked at a tobacco franchise company doing stock and tech support for franchises, there is definitely a huge black market for tobacco. enough that we had to crack down on our franchisees to be like, look, stop selling chop chop you morons.

most of it goes to selling single smokes, instead of by the packet, but a lot of the reason why you wouldn't know this illicit trade exists unless you look for it, is because the quality of the tobacco is poo poo, even for the price. unless you get some marlboros imported from indonesia or something

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

as an aside, the tobacco retail industry is an absolute nightmare, and anyone who took a serious look at how the tobacco companies bypass advertising laws by blatantly advertising-and-offering-kickbacks to retailers for selling their brand would be like, holy poo poo this is hosed

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lid posted:

It estimates that 864 tonnes of illicit tobacco escapes duty each year.

DancingShade posted:

Based on the LNP/IPA track record of announcements this is a case of [citation needed] for any claims they make.

On anything really.

At 20g of tobacco per pack (I didn't go past the first google result to find this) that's 43.2 million packs per year.

Assuming the people buying chop chop get 100% of thier tobacco on the black market and are heavy smokers that works out to nearly 118k pack a day smokers which is 3% (13.3% rate on 24m population) of all smokers.

That number sounds very high especially when you tweak the overly generous parts of that calculation like only including adult population and changing it to 2-3 illegal packs a week.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Actually heres a better link even though the data is from 2015

http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-2-consumption/2-5-industry-sales-figures-as-estimates-for-consum

Says approximately 16000 tonnes a year of tobacco is sold here (if a cigarette is 1g). That makes their number 5% of all tobacco in 2015

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Some personal experience the brand I smoke isn't sold in Australia so I have to buy from websites in Indonesia and i'd say about 50-60% of the time customs don't pick them up and they don't get taxed.

Feels like I won lotto everytime I get a carton for 20 bucks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Resident Idiot posted:

Surely this has peaked now?

Always more, always worse.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

naeka posted:

Some personal experience the brand I smoke isn't sold in Australia so I have to buy from websites in Indonesia and i'd say about 50-60% of the time customs don't pick them up and they don't get taxed.

Feels like I won lotto everytime I get a carton for 20 bucks.

Man if the lotto paid out that often, all our housing problems would be over.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Man if the lotto paid out that often, all our housing problems would be over.

Forget smashed avo, cigarette prices are what's really keeping housing out of reach

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Big budget spend for PT and roads in vic, which is great, get the money in the budget and then hopefully they lose government at the election afterwards.

quote:

$475 million to link Monash University’s Caulfield and Clayton campuses - planning and land acquisitions, light rail vs heavy rail
$225 million on electrifying the Frankston line to Baxter.
$1.75 billion to help build the North East Link, including tunnels and extra lanes on the Eastern Freeway
50 MILLION top-up to the $100 million committed to duplicating the Geelong line between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds
140 MILLION fund to tackle suburban bottlenecks

Article is paywalled but I copied that from elsewhere. All pretty good spends. Monash clayton got a study in the state budget last week so it looks like that'll happen, hopefully heavy rail though, not the tram route state gov wants, maybe this money will help make it a trainline instead.

Baxter extension is good, has been planned for ages, current level crossing removals by the state gov will help this with extra capacity on the line as of next year.

North East link is still dumb but whatever, at least the feds are chipping in. Still a $14bn road which is loving absurd.

Geelong line upgrades are happening, extra funding is good.

Not sure what suburban bottlenecks are, roads I assume.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

drunkill posted:

It's a real bad issue in Brisbane at least. Basically over time your poo poo areas people bought in the 80's that were considered miles from the city are now a lot more desirable, leading to denser housing and no more lanes being constructed. So you get these random peak hour hell zones because the roads were built to accommodate a small group and never altered.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

Big budget spend for PT and roads in vic, which is great, get the money in the budget and then hopefully they lose government at the election afterwards.

Article is paywalled but I copied that from elsewhere. All pretty good spends. Monash clayton got a study in the state budget last week so it looks like that'll happen, hopefully heavy rail though, not the tram route state gov wants, maybe this money will help make it a trainline instead.

Baxter extension is good, has been planned for ages, current level crossing removals by the state gov will help this with extra capacity on the line as of next year.

North East link is still dumb but whatever, at least the feds are chipping in. Still a $14bn road which is loving absurd.

Geelong line upgrades are happening, extra funding is good.

That fact that we are spending 'big' on PT and it still pales in comparison to the spending on roads highlights how car dominated and stupid our society is.

I mean, we are spending massive amounts on PT in Vic at the moment, but only because we've spent basically nothing on it for the last 50 years. At this rate it'll take another 50 years to make up for the past neglect and that wont even begin to contend with the impacts of expected population growth.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can’t imagine connecting Clayton campus directly to heavy rail could be done for the less than half a bill in the budget that is assigned to the project tbh. Going to be light rail at best

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
"Details of that particular case aside (JBP note: the case where the loving cafe threatened to sue it's underpaid and then sacked staff), here’s an inconvenient truth: a lack of wage policing and an insanely competitive landscape have resulted in good people doing bad things."

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/price-to-pay-to-maintain-melbourne-s-famous-cafe-scene-20180503-p4zd7k.html

:qq:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
lol 'good people'.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Oh gee golly gosh, I'd sure love to not steal from my employees, but unfortunately it's everyone's fault but mine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Almost violently angry at that article.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
speaking of wage theft, hope everyone goes to their local Change The Rules rally!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I like that it links to an article that says this

quote:

Hundreds of employees will be back-paid close to $100,000 after almost half of randomly selected businesses in WA's South West and Perth's south ignored workers' rights.

:tif:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

for the ppl who cared about home affairs, there is a pretty good breakdown of the issues in this podcast

https://www.policyforum.net/podcast-australias-new-intelligence-jigsaw/

does anyone know if labor is keeping home affairs?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gucci bane posted:

for the ppl who cared about home affairs, there is a pretty good breakdown of the issues in this podcast

*checks notes*

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Don't open a cafe guys it's a terrible business

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

but what else will we do with all this inner city retail frontage? we couldn't *possibly* turn it into affordable housing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Before Times posted:

but what else will we do with all this inner city retail frontage? we couldn't *possibly* turn it into affordable housing

Por que no los dos? Mixed use is good.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Por que no los dos? Mixed use is good.

Oh definitely; I've just seen a few mixed use apartment blocks go up where the retail part is chronically empty.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the comments on that article are great. “well we invested a lot of our own money to open a cafe but we forgot to factor in that you have to pay your staff a wage so we’re losing money. pity us” :qq:

imo it’s not ok that the desired response to “we hosed up our business plan” is “we’ll just break the law” but i guess that’s why i’m not making the big bucks

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

no you see as a *job creator* I am entitled to make a profit from my small business which is almost exactly the same as 500 other small businesses in the same area :qq:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gucci bane posted:

Of course they are. Ratchets only go one way

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Dude McAwesome posted:

BCA are loving inconsistent as hell. “Pay workers less”, “increase social services payments”.
Also, BCA sure as gently caress don't want business paying taxes that could be used to fund welfare.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Herr Potato posted:

By Bill Shorten being out there saying that New Zealand is on the table, people realise that New Zealand is a back doorway into Australia. They realise New Zealand is a comparable society to Australia. It has a similar welfare system, similar health, education offerings, housing, etc. It is marketed in the same way that Australia is as a positive destination. If Labor thinks that this problem has gone away, that they can now water Operation Sovereign Borders down, Bill Shorten is making the same mistake that Kevin Rudd made when he undid John Howard’s policies and if Bill Shorten thinks he can give a nudge and a wink to the left of the Labor party before an election and he believes he is going to win that election and water these policies down, that is exactly what Kevin Rudd did and it resulted in 1,200 people drowning, 8,000 kids in detention, 17 detention centres were opened and the Australian public rightly was angry because there were billions of dollars wasted and we are still cleaning up that mess today.

If only Labah hadn't forced us to imprison and torture all those children!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

12000 people drowning sounds like a lot.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Encouraging refugees to go to NZ instead sounds like a good idea. At least they won’t lock them up in death camps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Did 12,000 people really die when Rudd changed the policy?

E: whoops 1200 that's less bad

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's only 1/10th as bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How many lives has potato saved

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

10,800 but that's only due to a typo.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

We will not comment on on water matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

The Before Times posted:

speaking of wage theft, hope everyone goes to their local Change The Rules rally!

really good turn out in brisbane today

• Locked thread