Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite thing from the neversoft spider-man games was the ability to customize powers to costumes so that I could be an invincible version of The Amazing Bag-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

My favorite thing from the neversoft spider-man games was the ability to customize powers to costumes so that I could be an invincible version of The Amazing Bag-Man.

that’s only in the second one, which is not very good and was made by Vicarious Visions

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you consider a quick and easy board game? There are plenty of board games that come out that are short but I also consider short to be 30 to 60 minutes. I mean, there are good ones that last maybe 15 minutes as well, but yeah there are totes new games that, once you know the rules, will take maybe 30 to 60 minutes.

Yeah I'd say 30 minutes - 1 hour is reasonably quick.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

coup is supposed to be short and fun

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished God of War and I teared up at the ending that is a very touching videogame and shockingly I am very excited for the next one like goddamn BOY

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

oddium posted:

coup is supposed to be short and fun

it's

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idgi

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Man Epic games has more loving unsuccessful login attempts than any other of my game accounts. I get an email almost daily telling me some script kiddie is trying to get in to the loving thing.

Activate two factor sign in and it'll go away.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jade empire contains one of the worst shmups ever made its insane it wasnt cut from the final build and instead made optional

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They must have realized because you get the option to just skip some of the later shmup sections.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah its optional from the beginning

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Real hurthling! posted:

Jade empire contains one of the worst shmups ever made its insane it wasnt cut from the final build and instead made optional

I beat the game on xbox when it came out and apparently i've completely blanked this out lol. There were shmup sections ? I just remember it as like a kung-fu proto mass effect game, pls link

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The default choice on the shmup prompt is to skip . It must be toggled over to play

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWlrcPOnvI

There are airplanes and whenever you have to travel a decent distance they use it as an excuse to try and make you shmup.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes you had that airship and when you traveled from location to location you had to shmup

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

that’s only in the second one, which is not very good and was made by Vicarious Visions

I didn't know neversoft didn't make the sequel.

It must've been a good game because it had that feature in it though :colbert:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah I'd say 30 minutes - 1 hour is reasonably quick.

Games of varying time from 30 to 60 minutes:

Neuroshima Hex 3.0: a 1vs1 game where each player picks a faction and you draw and place tiles from your hand. This game has a gimmick where the combat all happens at once. There isn't a combat phase or anything like that, the players just take turns placing tiles until a player either fills up the board or a player plays a combat tile, in which case you check the initiative value of each tile and go in order from there, with all 4s going first, then all 3s, 2s, 1s, and 0s. Unless otherwise noted, units have 1 HP. The goal is to outlast the enemy HQ (the HQ is a unit on the board that has 20 HP) and so you're generally setting up rube goldberg chain reactions of fire in an attempt to outmaneuver the enemy while keeping your HQ safe. It has plenty of expansions as well, with the expansions adding new factions to the game. It can also be played with more than 2 players, but it works best imo at 1vs1. It also has an optional single player "puzzle" thing where you look at cards that give you board setups and ask you to take out the enemies using whatever tiles they give you but I've never looked into that because it was always just a side thing.

Pixel Tactics: this is another 1vs1 game, it mimics a strategy rpg. Both players are given a deck containing the same cards and each player draws some cards and picks a commander from their hand, with each commander having a different attack value, hp value, and special skill. You lose when your commander is dead. You have 3 rows, the front, middle, and back row. Each character has a different ability based on whether they are the commander, in the front row, in the middle row, or in the back row. There are some other cards in one of the expansions that adds on an additional back row, and there are also special abilities in all versions iirc where you can just discard a character entirely to perform that special action. There are a bunch of unique decks of this game available and you can generally find them for relatively cheap. On top of that, they made 3 whole decks based off of mega man so you can play a version with all your favorite mega man characters, but only if they appeared in an 8-bit version. No Mega Man 7 or 8 stuff, sorry.

Dungeon Roll: okay this game isn't like super great or anything but it is super quick to explain and super quick to play. You have a treasure chest and you have white dice and you have black dice. You pick a character (each character having a passive ability, a unique skill they can only use once per dungeon dive, and the ability to level up if they gain enough experience which generally leads to them getting a better version of their unique skill), you roll the white dice, and the other player rolls the amount of black dice equal to the floor of the dungeon you are on. The black dice will roll either skeletons, goblins, slimes, chests, potions, or dragons. The white dice can roll scrolls, thieves, fighters, mages, clerics, or champions. Scrolls can be used to reroll any dice that get rolled on a floor. The rest of the white dice are color coordinated with their equivalent black dice monsters. So say you're on floor 3 and the other player rolls their 3 black dice and it turns up 2 skeletons and a slime and you have a cleric, a fighter, and a mage. Each character can take out 1 monster before going to the graveyard, but each character can also take out all of their equivalent enemies on that floor, so you could use a cleric and it would take out all of the skeletons, leaving you with a fighter or a mage to spend on fighting the slime. It is a push-your-luck game where the goal is to get as much exp and loot as possible by the end of the game. The game ends when everybody has gone through the dungeon 3 times and you get loot by opening treasure chests or defeating the dragon if he shows up (if 3 dragon dice accumulate during a run, then the dragon shows up and he requires 3 different white dice faces to defeat) so yeah this game isn't necessarily great but it works well for what it is, it's quick, the presentation is generally enough to get people to sit down for it, it's simple, and while it is completely random what the dice will roll, there is generally enough skill involved with what you do with your roll and if you're willing to take risks, there's a lot of fun to be had in that risk-taking thrill kinda way.

I spent the most time explaining the simplest game...

Anyway, last recommendation: One Deck Dungeon. This is a roguelike in card form. There are two versions, they're both stand-alone but you can combine them (or buy 2 copies of one of them) to get a 4-player version. The base game is 1-player or 2-player but I suggest 2-player. You pick from one of the playable women, each with their own skill and heroic feat, and you choose from one of the 5 bosses to encounter. The deck itself is the dungeon, with the players spending time to perform actions (1 time = 1 card taken from the deck and discarded). You don't want to waste too much time because at the bottom of the deck is the stairway to the next floor and if you wait around too long while the stairs are visible, you start taking damage. Each card is either a combat encounter or a trap encounter, with some skills only working for one or the other. When you get into an encounter, you use the stats on your character's card to determine how many dice you get to roll and the encounter card shows the value you have to get to avoid taking damage or time penalties. Regardless of whether you cover up every box on the encounter card, once it is cleared you will get to take the card and use it in one of 3 ways. The card has an EXP amount ranging from 1 to 4 in the top right and you can slide that under the current level card to increase your exp. If you get enough exp to level up, you take all of the cards under that level card and set them aside and grab the next level. Level ups give you nice benefits like getting an additional potion, letting you have a black dice for any encounter (blacks are wild, you can use them on anything, whereas the other color types can only be used with their equivalent colors which are strength/yellow, agility/pink, and magic/blue), and they also let you get more items and skills. At the bottom of encounter cards there will either be a potion or a skill. If you take that card as a potion, you add it to your list of identified potions and if you use a potion later on, you can choose from whatever list of potions you've identified. Each time you identify a potion, you gain an additional potion. If it is a skill at the bottom of the card, you can take it and slide it under your character's card in order to give them a new skill to use. The left side of the encounter card shows the item stats you would gain if you took that. Items give you additional magic, agility, strength, or health, and you can slide those under your character to increase the amount of dice they would be able to roll. There is also a notepad that offers the option of carrying your character over from game to game, with each death or success giving you points to put towards unlocking new buffs to help with the dungeon diving. I highly highly recommend this. It's pretty cheap as well, iirc it's 16 or 17 bucks usd.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite board game of all time, Castles of Burgundy, is around an hour once everybody has played before so things go smoothly

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play tabletop Battletech once a month and a session lasts 6-8 hours it’s rad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In college I played games of Diplomacy that lasted months

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey just a simple yes or no. I have never played the God of War games. I read the story synopsis of the three main games (as far as I can tell all the other side games took place between or before the other games) and Kratos is presumed dead by the end of the third game. Does the new God of War address that in any way, considering Kratos is very much alive in the new one? Not looking for details just a yes or no

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Hey just a simple yes or no. I have never played the God of War games. I read the story synopsis of the three main games (as far as I can tell all the other side games took place between or before the other games) and Kratos is presumed dead by the end of the third game. Does the new God of War address that in any way, considering Kratos is very much alive in the new one? Not looking for details just a yes or no

The post credit sequence in GoW3 shows that he survives and that's presumed in the new one and doesn't expand on that

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

glam rock hamhock posted:

The post credit sequence in GoW3 shows that he survives and that's presumed in the new one and doesn't expand on that

Does he at least have a huge scare on his chest?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Do any quick and easy board games come out these days? Feels like it's either a new variation of Cluedo or Monopoly vs a 5 hour session where you need to take notes and need 8 people

Sure, just not on kickstarter. Look up Sagrada,, it is easy quick and beautiful to look at.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if they'll call the sequel God of War 2

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

Does he at least have a huge scare on his chest?

Yep

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He looks so stupid with that beard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Do any quick and easy board games come out these days? Feels like it's either a new variation of Cluedo or Monopoly vs a 5 hour session where you need to take notes and need 8 people

Yeah, heaps. How many players are you talking about, and what kind of things do they like?

Also when you say "these days" do you mean stuff released in the past few years only?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finished WarioWare, it was a fun way to spend a few hours and a great selling point for the Wii's motion controls. It really gives you an idea of the kinda games that are possible.

I'm now playing Gears of War 1 which is I think the most aggressively manly man game for bros to play while they're broing it bro-style and while the graphics are definitely a step up on recent games I've played there's also a huge lack of colour. Despite those issues I'm still having a good time. The characters who aren't Marcus Fenix are good and the early death rate was pretty shocking. Plus it's got a gun which lets you fire a laser from space and I always be here for that kinda thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rarity posted:

I finished WarioWare, it was a fun way to spend a few hours and a great selling point for the Wii's motion controls. It really gives you an idea of the kinda games that are possible.

I'm now playing Gears of War 1 which is I think the most aggressively manly man game for bros to play while they're broing it bro-style and while the graphics are definitely a step up on recent games I've played there's also a huge lack of colour. Despite those issues I'm still having a good time. The characters who aren't Marcus Fenix are good and the early death rate was pretty shocking. Plus it's got a gun which lets you fire a laser from space and I always be here for that kinda thing.

look forward to gears of war 2, a game that's sandwiched between being really over-the-top goofy and cliffyb deciding to make a statement about keeping people in a vegetative state on life support, and gears of war 3, in which cliffyb heard someone say characters being sad was deep

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played Gears of War 1-2 and they are some of the ugliest games I've ever seen. The art direction is just awful. Its all grey and black and brown. It wasn't uncommon for me to get completely confused about where to go since everything is just a big pile of bloody rubble.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Much like nearly everyone with a beard.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought so too at first but now when I look back at beardless Kratos and Dhalsim they just look silly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rarity posted:

Gears never gets any less stupid but the general level design and gunplay get better. Gears 3 is great fun and also has hilarious melodrama where people with biceps the size of dogs cry about the horrors of war. it's awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The tone of Gears 2 bounces between ridiculous action movie, awful melodrama, and disgusting horror.

Rescue your stoic soldier friend only to watch him commit suicide and then get eaten by a GIANT WORM and then see your other friend mourn his missing wife. All in the span of about 30 minutes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gears of war is amazing for how much it lacks a coherent identity. there were like three sides calling the shots on it creatively and one of them was a lovely tie-in novel writer who got a weird amount of sway in the series' storytelling choices (who then made it canon that the military in gears of war institutes rape camps), one of them was cliffy b shoving his personal views and ideas into really bizarre areas, and the third was a bunch of game designers who clearly just didn't give a single solitary poo poo making incredibly dumb military shoot games where you chainsaw worm guts and a guy yells about being the cole train

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

There is a big competition in Germany for the 'best' board game that is split into three categories. The main category is basically what you are asking for here.

So look at Codenames/Codenames Duet, magic maze and (guessing at this year's nominees) Azul.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Didn't the Gears series have political statements about the Iraq war buried in them somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
From all I've heard about CliffyB in the last year I can't understand how he ended up holding the reins for one of last-gens biggest AAA franchises.

• Locked thread