Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mod in a dating sim where you can go out with the Sea Emperor and friends.

The Sea Dragon is the tsundere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure that mod would be better optimized than the base game at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not like I want to smash up your cyclops or anything b-baka

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

mod in a dating sim where you can go out with the Sea Emperor and friends.

The Sea Dragon is the tsundere.

First you have to play the game until Stalker-chan erases everyone else and traps you in the abyssal corridor, to be with you forever

Then you just gotta get rid of this thing

"What's happening...?"

À̩̹͚̘͚n̜̠d̜͔̮͝ ̷t̥͢h͎͔͝a͔̝͍t̸̤͕͉̻̗'̲͖̜͖̠͈͈s̝͉̬̬ ̰h̹͎̰̞̭̭͓̕o̤͎w̪͚͈͔͔ ͚͎͇̣͝y̧͚͎̦͚ơ̹͓̤̯̙ͅͅu ͔̲͍g̣͍͍ḛ̻͘ͅt̙̗ͅ ̬̳t̤h̘͚̖ͅe͏̹̹̖ ͎̥͚͉̺͝ͅT̴͚̯̦̼̰r͔͙̳̤̙͇̝u̦̦͟e̴̮̪̺̹̮ ̺͖E͏̱̺̻̻n͇̘̱̗̺̣̗d̡̬̻͓̜ͅ

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Soho Joe posted:

First you have to play the game until Stalker-chan erases everyone else and traps you in the abyssal corridor, to be with you forever

Then you just gotta get rid of this thing

"What's happening...?"

À̩̹͚̘͚n̜̠d̜͔̮͝ ̷t̥͢h͎͔͝a͔̝͍t̸̤͕͉̻̗'̲͖̜͖̠͈͈s̝͉̬̬ ̰h̹͎̰̞̭̭͓̕o̤͎w̪͚͈͔͔ ͚͎͇̣͝y̧͚͎̦͚ơ̹͓̤̯̙ͅͅu ͔̲͍g̣͍͍ḛ̻͘ͅt̙̗ͅ ̬̳t̤h̘͚̖ͅe͏̹̹̖ ͎̥͚͉̺͝ͅT̴͚̯̦̼̰r͔͙̳̤̙͇̝u̦̦͟e̴̮̪̺̹̮ ̺͖E͏̱̺̻̻n͇̘̱̗̺̣̗d̡̬̻͓̜ͅ

I have to say of all places, I wasn't expecting DDLC references to pop up in the Subnautica thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol goddamn

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Close the thread, it’s done. :discourse:

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I used to be able to put posters in the Cyclops vehicle bay to inspire courage, like this:

I can't do that on my save for some reason :geno:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are there any mods that just make the outcrops stand out more against whatever they're connected to, like just changing their color or something? I am having a hell of a time seeing these things. I've been playing for like 2 hours and I've found like, two copper chunks and nothing else.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Are there any mods that just make the outcrops stand out more against whatever they're connected to, like just changing their color or something? I am having a hell of a time seeing these things. I've been playing for like 2 hours and I've found like, two copper chunks and nothing else.

I never found them all that hard to spot, but you can build a scanner, then not scan any outcrops and watch for the "scannable object" popup as you wave it around. If there's something that turns out to not be an outcrop, scan it and it won't get in the way next time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You get the hang of it sooner or later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whoa, first the Warper, and now another case of wildlife willing to get out of the water (and also really screwy clipping around the Aurora's engines) to try to eat me.

I managed to scan the bugger and hide but he broke my Seamoth in retaliation. Glad I made a spare.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 24, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I guess that's that. One of the weirdest things is a sandbox survival/building/exploration game that actually ends, and positively encourages you to finish it no less. (Left a time capsule with a Stillsuit, snack and water) Given the setting background one might be tempted to say nuts to the corporate dystopia and stay as an aquatic park ranger.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I guess that's that. One of the weirdest things is a sandbox survival/building/exploration game that actually ends, and positively encourages you to finish it no less. (Left a time capsule with a Stillsuit, snack and water) Given the setting background one might be tempted to say nuts to the corporate dystopia and stay as an aquatic park ranger.

I won't swear that this much thought was put into the matter by the developers, but it seems like you would want to leave and interact with other humans eventually. And since your cell phone's native AI is tracking every single one of your movements and actions, there would probably be consequences to just chilling "on Alterra's dime" for five or ten years away from the hellgrind.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Alternatively, go chill on one of the tropical islands for the rest of your life.

Just don't turn off that big honking space gun that can blow up anyone or anything that tries to come get you.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

did they improve the pop-in yet

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Google Butt posted:

did they improve the pop-in yet

No, and they probably won't either. The game spent a lot of time in early access and I imagine that they just want to move on with DLC/another game, and not spend even more time and money on optimisation.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They are showing as 94% positive on Steam and received anywhere between good and "glowing" reviews from most game sites. If anything, they have been proven that shipping with bugs (even game breaking) and almost completely ignoring major performance problems won't affect sales or reception in any meaningful way. So uh, why would they spend any resources fixing those things now...

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Xik posted:

They are showing as 94% positive on Steam and received anywhere between good and "glowing" reviews from most game sites. If anything, they have been proven that shipping with bugs (even game breaking) and almost completely ignoring major performance problems won't affect sales or reception in any meaningful way. So uh, why would they spend any resources fixing those things now...
For a survival game, this one is pretty low on bugs, though.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 19, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Xik posted:

It's so depressing. The poo poo people get away with. Oh well, maybe the fanbase will fix it someday.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wipfmetz posted:

For a survival game, this one is pretty low on bugs, though.
I mean. It's easy to say that when you haven't made it through a hardcore save only to clip through the seat of your escape rocket and die during the ending cutscene.

Neither have I, but that's actually A Thing. Among many things.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Section Z posted:

I mean. It's easy to say that when you haven't made it through a hardcore save only to clip through the seat of your escape rocket and die during the ending cutscene.

Neither have I, but that's actually A Thing. Among many things.

I'm not saying it's free of gamebreaking bugs. My favourite bug was the game forgetting about all this "swimming" nonsense at one point near an alien structure, which would have broken an ironman run.
I'm only comparing it against other survival games.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's a good game and it deserves to get good reviews, you can do that while also mentioning the bugs that exist.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

game was super awesome until the lava stuff.

The it was more of a slog to just finish it.

Im going to get the vr system at some point. You bet ill be loading this up again to try that out.

I have a fear of water, its going to be fun.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

game was super awesome until the lava stuff.

The it was more of a slog to just finish it.
Yeah. At one point i prefered to just leave my PRAWN at the lava stuff and swim to my Seamoth because gently caress traversing that area with a prawn. Who decided that a walker would be what we need for the final biomes in an underwater survival game?

At least the endgame pretty much lays the world map wide open with those warp arches in the containement installation .

Meskhenet posted:

I have a fear of water, its going to be fun.
Oh, just climb atop your lifeboat and never dive. The game turns into a philosophical essay about the folly of technological progress.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 21, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just make sure you know you can handle VR before you jump into subnautica.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Or play the not VR version? :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knobb Manwich posted:

Or play the not VR version? :confused:

Meskhenet specifically mentioned trying Subnautica with VR.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
It is visually pretty great in VR, can confirm that. Definitely has its quirks but overall I enjoyed it in VR

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

Oh, just climb atop your lifeboat and never dive. The game turns into a philosophical essay about the folly of technological progress.

thats like the first few hours of the normal game for me. As soon as night time came around i sat and watched the stars.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

thats like the first few hours of the normal game for me. As soon as night time came around i sat and watched the stars.

The lunar/soliar(i forget which) eclipse segment is absolutely astoundingly worth watching if you're on the surface when it occurs.

Just one of those moments I wish I'd screenshotted

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

The lunar/soliar(i forget which) eclipse segment is absolutely astoundingly worth watching if you're on the surface when it occurs.

Just one of those moments I wish I'd screenshotted

Wait, what? This is a thing? That's incredible.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Do people just not use the grapple-arm for the PRAWN suit? On my hardcore run I didn't even make the stupid big-sub until the very very end, because the rocket requires something that can only be made on the big submarine. You can scoot along the ground ridiculously fast with the grapple arm, way faster than the subs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You pretty much need it if you're exploring super deep.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Do people just not use the grapple-arm for the PRAWN suit? On my hardcore run I didn't even make the stupid big-sub until the very very end, because the rocket requires something that can only be made on the big submarine. You can scoot along the ground ridiculously fast with the grapple arm, way faster than the subs.

Pssh grapple arms

Swinging through the Lost River and Lava Zones like underwater Spiderman

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
My opinion of cyclops increased when I found the thermal generator module for it, I didn't know it was a thing so didn't know to go looking for it. Sucks it was literally the last recipe I found, so I had already done everything and was 'finished' with the game.

If I had found it waaaayyyyy earlier I would have just explored everywhere in it and only had a base a single base for moon pool upgrading. Instead I fluffed around with building "power stations" and poo poo all over the map in order to recharge/swap out batteries.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

jisforjosh posted:

Pssh grapple arms

Swinging through the Lost River and Lava Zones like underwater Spiderman

But if you use both arms for grappling, how will you punch and/or drill leviathans to death? :ohdear:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The dumb abusable thing with it is that you can hop out and take the special arms off with your gloved hands.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never found the prawn grapple arm. I took my cyclops into the cave network with the prawn, then just left them down there and used my seamoth on the other side of the portals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Quick question: I found the mountain wreck under the alien base, the one with the cyclops thermal plant fragment, and beyond the door you have to cut into, I've run into a hallway I just bounce off of and can't get past, either on my own or with the Seaglide. Has anyone else had that problem? It seems from other YouTube videos that I should be able to get through, but this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDg7tXaxcu4