Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rune Wash is Esso for your spellbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m the Half-Alf paladin.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The genres for the book hero spirits are pretty limited:
Fantasy, SF, Mystery, Grimoire, History, Encyclopedia, Hero Battle

I mean I get that these are the classes for the game so they can’t have a million, but it’d be cool if in the supplements they threw in stuff like Self Help, Picture Books, Screeds, Romance and Self-Published Erotica.

Pounded in the Butt by my Noble Phantasm

But seriously I’m going to pick up a copy and see if the game is as good as the premise.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Encyclopedia???

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Plutonis posted:

Encyclopedia???

I Choose You, TV Tropes! :shrek:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
"The Cart" absolutely sounds like a mafia nickname so the Kenku Rogue is arraigned before the judge as "Bub "The Cart" Mcbirdmurder

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Encyclopedia???

Yeah. The art for it is a scientist so I guess if you want to summon Isaac Newton or something...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Absolutely disgusting that the Gnome Sorcerer is the only one written entirely in lower case.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 3, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm Hank

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Desiden posted:

Why would you do that. That thread is having a nice conversation between a real-life occultist and some dude's girlfriend about the semiotics of fashion, which has literally had in a handful of posts more actual discussion of mature themes than the entirety of nuWW. Just point this guy at at one of the OSR grog forums. That's more his speed.

This is true. I don't want to disturb true beauty. My bad.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kibner posted:

For this dumb WW derail, please spare the general population and post in the White Wolf thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=540&perpage=40
Counterpoint: the TG Chat Thread is the literal designated place for other threads to send their dumb pointless derails. A sockpuppet posting walls of text in defense of a terrible game revision is exactly the sort of thing this thread was created to accommodate.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

hello i'm Devith Mustwost, but my friends call me "Kurgbore"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Gonna combine Fantasy, Grimoire and Encyclopedia and end up with a D&D rulebook.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Halloween Jack posted:

So last night I figured out that there are at least 3 unofficial Final Fantasy RPGs, not counting ones written in other languages or designed for play over chat. And FFD6 is strangely hard to find. I mean, I can google it and find links directly to PDFs, but it appears to have no webpage.

I played one session of a d100 based one that was garbage and I know there's a d20 version that keeps getting continually updated. I have no idea if any of their stuff is playtested, but I'm dumb and like pathfinder so I will probably use their system if I ever do a final fantasy game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Rune Wash is Esso for your spellbook.

Also one letter away from a Phantasy Star IV character

http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Rune_Walsh

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

How has no one else taken Dawne Shift the Monkz, the Dwarven Barbarian? Because I am.

Getsuya posted:

I mean I get that these are the classes for the game so they can’t have a million, but it’d be cool if in the supplements they threw in stuff like Self Help, Picture Books, Screeds, Romance and Self-Published Erotica.

Pounded in the Butt by my Noble Phantasm

But seriously I’m going to pick up a copy and see if the game is as good as the premise.

hello my name is debbie and my noble phantasm/book buddy is elfstar

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 3, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Edit: Doublepost

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

When dwarven wizard and theater critic Frank Firethorn is murdered at the debut of the new human opera "The Cowben," can ace halfling inquisitive Mothrek McKingfoot crack the case before racial tensions rip the city apart?!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Getsuya posted:

Japan just came out with a pretty cool looking RPG called Blind Mythos. The conceit is that books are starting to manifest their content in the real world and the players are bookmasters who can summon heroes from their favorite books to fight the evil corrupted book stuff. During character creation you make two characters; your bookmaster and their book hero partner who is made by combining ‘genres’ which are the classes for the game.

Are you a bad enough book nerd to save the world from the books people make Let’s Read threads about?

Oh god so it includes Twisted and you can play as a fire breathing venomous were-roller coaster.

Of course I have to ask, does this include the game book itself? And can it be crossed with Read Or Die?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Those are all still better than Beek Gwenders, Fonkin Hoddypeak, and Fage the Kexy

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

hyphz posted:

Oh god so it includes Twisted and you can play as a fire breathing venomous were-roller coaster.

Of course I have to ask, does this include the game book itself? And can it be crossed with Read Or Die?

Better yet, can you make yourself into a hero by reading books and play Maya Schroedinger from Wild Arms 3?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

Those are all still better than Beek Gwenders, Fonkin Hoddypeak, and Fage the Kexy
G1 G2 G3 pregens represent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leraika posted:

Better yet, can you make yourself into a hero by reading books and play Maya Schroedinger from Wild Arms 3?
*pulls out a bound printout of all my posts*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Posting this in the WoD thread feels like threadshtting, so: I'm finally getting around to reading Requiem 2e. Why is it so desperate to pack edgy coolness into every sentence?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

Posting this in the WoD thread feels like threadshtting, so: I'm finally getting around to reading Requiem 2e. Why is it so desperate to pack edgy coolness into every sentence?

what are you even looking for in a vampire-themed RPG if requiem 2e is too much

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

hyphz posted:

Yes the rules state your magic book can be anything including comic books and I’m sure RPG guides would fit.

Twisted will have to wait until they introduce Erotica as a genre in the expansion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what are you even looking for in a vampire-themed RPG if requiem 2e is too much
I liked the style of Requiem 1e; my only complaint was that it dwells overmuch on how being a vampire is just terrible and depressing and pointless. It was reacting against "superheroes with fangs."

2e reacts against 1e's pessimism, which is a good thing in the abstract. But every sentence in the clan descriptions (and some more besides) sounds like Dwight Schrute talking about how he's the lion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think it's less that 2E reacts against 1E's pessimism and more that it just takes a different, more perspective- or "unreliable narrator"-based approach to emphasizing that vampires are disgusting parasitic losers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Cortex+ vs Fate Core?

Which is better?

Why?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like the Daeva clan description has all this talk about how sexy they are but it also talks about them as living manifestations of insecurity and need, how putting up a superficial show of humanity means doing things like vomiting up all the food you can't digest, and compares them to Tyler Durden.

2E is still very much a game about how being a vampire sucks (and if you aren't interested in that then Requiem probably just isn't for you) -- it just approaches it through the lens of denial instead of despair. And then makes the main antagonist splat the creatures who want you to stop loving around and just be a monster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My issues aren't as fundamental as you're assuming. When I said style, I mean style. I mean that this:

quote:

You wouldn’t be here if they didn’t. Most of the time the prey needs a dose of the Blood to wakey-wake.

quote:

Poor baby. There’s you. There’s me. And there’re some folks who are dying to meet you…

quote:

Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Rabbit, how do you do? I'm the Br'er Devil, and I'm comin' for you.

...is really loving tryhard. What's with the loving baby-talk?

quote:

Something dead approaches. It comes from way out, where The End eats the road. It is a brother to owls and a companion to scarecrows. No escape. You’ll try to kill it, but it will not die. You’ll try to outrun it, but it will lope after on four feet. You’ll try to escape, but it goes where other monsters fear to tread. You’ll lock yourself in a tower or a vault, but it will come on nighted wings or as ravenous smoke. You’ll plead to its human face, but it will only grin and say, “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.” You’ll die wondering whom the monster quoted.
Oh, I know! It's Jared Leto Joker, right?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Requiem 2E is absolutely miserable to read. 'Communion of the oval office and cock' from the Daeva clan writeup is the standout for me. The whole loving book is just full of garbage like that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man DriveThruRPG is just making GBS threads the bed for me right now, can't download anything off it, which is a shame as I had just bought the entirety of the old Goodman Games d20 DragonMech line(as Goodman is having a ludicrous sale right now) and was looking forward to finally reading them(was also going to redownload their Dinosaur Planet Broncosaurus Rex line as well as I remember that line also being fun)

Anyone else having issues with them today?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Down With People posted:

Requiem 2E is absolutely miserable to read. 'Communion of the oval office and cock' from the Daeva clan writeup is the standout for me. The whole loving book is just full of garbage like that.
That also stood out to me, but I couldn't just quote the entire Daeva writeup.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Down With People posted:

That's a good punk band name. Seth Putnamesque.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
This may be old news, but I just discovered that prominent anti-SJW YouTuber Sargon of Akkad is a Dungeons & Dragons player. He's running a months-long campaign which started in late 2017 and is still ongoing.

In spite of his high view count I cannot find much discussion/synopsis of the campaign. I'm morbidly curious in watching it, but I don't have much time to listen to hours-long videos.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project, talking about the updated monster math! :orks:

Follow the links to check out the rules for:
  • Minions
  • Swarms
  • Standard monsters
  • Elite monsters
  • Solo monsters
  • Archenemies

So this is still an early draft, and I have a lot to add to it (as described in the blogpost) but we're well on the way to having the game in a shape where it can now be DM'd by someone other than me :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

In spite of his high view count I cannot find much discussion/synopsis of the campaign. I'm morbidly curious in watching it, but I don't have much time to listen to hours-long videos.

This sounds even more like an incredibly boring waste of time than watching a regular Sargon video

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Libertad! posted:

This may be old news, but I just discovered that prominent anti-SJW YouTuber Sargon of Akkad is a Dungeons & Dragons player. He's running a months-long campaign which started in late 2017 and is still ongoing.

Who gives a poo poo about that guys campaign???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Who gives a poo poo about that guys campaign???