Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Aphrodite posted:

JR with the astoundingly bad take on the GRR and the women getting paid.

http://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/05/05/jim-ross-doesnt-think-women-paid-greatest-royal-rumble/

I mean I get what he's trying to say but not being booked on Mania because you just don't have a match is way different than not being booked on a show because the country doesn't respect your gender. At the very least the womens champions and their challengers should have been paid as if they competed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
NJPW doesn’t hire women

*loving loser nerds push their glasses up*

Well akshually REEEEEEEEE

Get over it, they should be blasted for it, for gently caress sakes lmao

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
NJPW hiring women wrestlers wouldn't really do much but raid the Joshi feds of their top stars, which I feel would be more of a blow than a boon to woman's wrestling.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Since Joshi wrestlers seem like they’re basically wrestleman idols, do they have the same kind of “if you get caught so much as looking at a guy with longing, let alone loving or dating him, your entire career ends and you are publicly shamed” thing hanging over their heads?

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
New Japan hiring women for a token match would be the dumbest thing ever. And they’re not going to go 50/50 or intergender. Japan has a thriving joshi scene with a rich tradition. It gets smaller crowds than men’s wrestling but that’s also true of football and any other sport where the women’s version is younger than the men’s.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
So women getting more exposure and more money is a bad thing because other promotions will have to either pay better or fail is a good enough reason for the NJPW to not hire women, cool

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Nerds will defend japan to death for being racist/xenophobic and sexist I’ll never get it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

NJPW doesn’t hire women

*loving loser nerds push their glasses up*

Well akshually REEEEEEEEE

Get over it, they should be blasted for it, for gently caress sakes lmao
No, they shouldn't? At all? They don't hire women because women are top stars in their own rights, raiding joshi feds would just hurt both companies. Either they'd have women's wrestling third from the top or w/e and it'd be depriving the joshi feds of their top stars in order to portray them as beneath men or they'd be having the women main event which'd just give them less room to work with their male stars in order to promote women who'd probably go back over to a joshi fed at some point because their spots would be way more secure in one of those promotions. its

id be all for more supercards where they bring in some talent from other promotions but i dont think NJPW hiring women would really help anyone. its not like the US where women-only feds are either jokes or dont exist, women-only promotions are successful, have a long history, and at certain points have been the hottest thing going in japanese wrestling, period. its kind of insulting to all of that to go 'the MEN need to step in and hire them so they can get out of the dingy little 50 seaters and be promoted.'

also cool use of the pepe meme

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

So women getting more exposure and more money is a bad thing
the women get tons of exposure and money, from the joshi feds

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’ve never heard of a single women’s wrestling Fed in Japan or seen a match, but I know of NJPW and have watched matches before

I highly doubt your typical international wrestling fan could either, but if they were on say, the largest Japanese wrestling company for international exposure they would be able to

And that nothing but a great thing for Japanese women’s wrestlers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

I’ve never heard of a single women’s wrestling Fed in Japan or seen a match
lol, this makes you sound like you have a great understanding of the situation and truly care about women's wrestling

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Yeah I guess not speaking or reading Japanese or having much access to it makes me someone who doesn’t care about women’s rights and progress :rolleyes:

NJPW wrestling fans everyone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

oh cool more brokebrained takes about women's wrestling in Japan, that makes 800 in the last month

If you actually, genuinely, want to seek out Japanese women's wrestling it takes less than a minute on Google in this day and age, friend.

If you're doing this because WWE's honor must be defended then good news nobody can stop you from enjoying the product and there is no need for this trash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

ive watched maybe two NJPW matches in my life, but i watch a shitton of joshi. thats the angle im coming at this from.

and you don't have to sit down and watch every joshi match ever but you could at least google 'joshi' and watch a couple of the seventeen toyota/kong matches meltzer gave five stars to before you sit down and type some hot takes. like it's not that hard to get some kind of working knowledge before you start accusing people of sexism.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It’s almost as if, if there was an internationally recognized Japanese company with the means to reach me here in Canada, they could hire women so I could see the awesome talent they have to show

Wonder if that company exists

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There is nothing but benefits for Japanese women wrestlers if NJPW stopped being sexist and hired women

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

It’s almost as if, if there was an internationally recognized Japanese company with the means to reach me here in Canada, they could hire women so I could see the awesome talent they have to show

It's called Stardom and they have a working relationship with ROH just like New Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good news op, several joshi promotions have streaming setups

i mean stardom's website looks like an angelfire site from 2001 but lbr most japanese websites look like that. they also have english subtitles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pictured below, an event that didn't happen, as women couldn't possibly fill the Tokyo Dome on their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSiyxLzhd3o&t=12757s

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

It's called Stardom.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Mate you have the internet and Stardom have their own version of NJPWorld for 750 Yen. Go nuts.

http://www.stardom-world.com/

Genuinely keeping the women and men on separate shows works out best for them because instead of fighting for two matches on a male dominated card the women have entire shows dedicated to their matches and because it isn't treated as a side show to the men the women end up far better trained as a result. In it's peak in the 90's AJW was drawing big crowds in the Tokyo Dome.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Oh ok so I just need to pay for a sub for two different companies because I want to see the top men and also the top women of Japan, makes sense, not like the top men’s promotion could change their discriminatory practises, and have women as well so I could just see them all for one sub

That’d be silly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, if you want to see the women, you have to pay to support the women

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also I doubt very much New Japan wants to do the sort of talent raids they'd need to start a Joshi promotion. Both cause it looks real bad in Japan (it's why Ishimori had to do a stint in Impact before going to New Japan) and they also don't want to put other companies out of business too. All for what, maybe one or two multi-man matches and maybe 1 or 2 major singles? That ends up taking well paying spots from other wrestlers than making more jobs.

I could maybe see them adding a Joshi feature match or two to a US show which would be nice but no need for them to run an entire division when you have feds like Stardom doing a good job already

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo they should put smaller feds out of business, making it harder for women wrestlers to find jobs and build up their careers, so i can save six bucks a month

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's no just a username, is it?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

Oh ok so I just need to pay for a sub for two different companies because I want to see the top men and also the top women of Japan, makes sense, not like the top men’s promotion could change their discriminatory practises, and have women as well so I could just see them all for one sub

That’d be silly

You rather save a few bucks and watch NJPW with one or two women's matches on a show? Don't you think having two subs and getting the best of both is worth it?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

imo they should put smaller feds out of business, making it harder for women wrestlers to find jobs and build up their careers, so i can save six bucks a month

People so used to WWE's business model they think everyone should do it (ignoring what it's done to wrestlers overall quality of life and ability to earn money)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Let's get rid of the US Women's National Team and have the 3 best players on the sub bench for the men. Equality!"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
To be fair with the WOH (ROH)/STARDOM partnership, while its still somewhat unknown about their status, their partnership may not last much longer. Rossy was spotted talking with WWE officials over Wrestlemania weekend, including being backstage at several major events like Wrestlemania and the Hall of Fame (along with a bunch of tweets praising WWE for Axcess). And if he wants to break off the partnership with WOH to pursue an EVOLVE/PROGRESS like partnership with WWE, more power to him.

Women of Honor loving sucks in pretty much every conceivable way and the way they've handled the STARDOM talent is an absolute tragedy. It's also worth noting that apparently Cody may have gotten shot down last night as he was at the STARDOM show, and it was rumored for a bit that he was trying to get some STARDOM talent to join the ALL IN show. But STARDOM's English twitter account sent out a tweet saying there would be none of their talent at ALL IN, because STARDOM already has a show that day. Although I think part of the reason has to do with the fact that Tessa is a focal point of ALL IN, and like 95% of the STARDOM roster/staff hates her.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dude you are just as out to lunch as the ironic concern troll if you think cody was sitting next to ogawa to cut a deal to have stardom women on all in lmao

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Super No Vacancy posted:

dude you are just as out to lunch as the ironic concern troll if you think cody was sitting next to ogawa to cut a deal to have stardom women on all in lmao

Considering Brandi was/is a part of Oedo Tai, it wouldn't be unreasonable. And Cody probably was out to cut a deal to get someone like Io or Mayu. It's not really a concern troll if its something that is easily believable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

actually there is a streaming service that features both the top men and women of japan, it's called honor club. thanks and god bless

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anti-gedo perverts you are welcome to repurpose this joke to make it about the DDT service which actually streamed a great joshi show for free like three days ago but yeah wow why doesn't new japan hire a tutor to come to my house and teach me thing loving 1 about the thing i claim to care about

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Wow Rossy you two timer seen talking to both WWE and Cody

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

Yeah I guess not speaking or reading Japanese or having much access to it makes me someone who doesn’t care about women’s rights and progress :rolleyes:

Stardom is actually easier to follow than NJPW if you don't speak or read Japanese just in case you actually care. They translate everything before uploading it and their site looks poo poo but is in actual English and not translated by robots.

bloodysabbath posted:

Since Joshi wrestlers seem like they’re basically wrestleman idols, do they have the same kind of “if you get caught so much as looking at a guy with longing, let alone loving or dating him, your entire career ends and you are publicly shamed” thing hanging over their heads?

Tokyo Joshi Pro supposedly have this, but a lot of it seems to be parodying idol culture so I don't know if DDT are actually being serious with that part. I'd say not, but someone may correct me. One of the current storylines is one of wrestlers having a crush on a girl and saying she's allowed to date her because the rules says she can't have a boyfriend so I doubt it serious.

Outside that, quite a lot of joshi end up dating male pro wrestlers afaik. Io Shirai was with Nosawa Rongai when they got framed for smuggling weed into Japan.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

itoh keeps making jokes on twitter about buying or wanting a boyfriend so no i think that's just the idol gimmick

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Pretty sure most joshi if they have boyfriends keep it very secret because holy poo poo their fans shower them with gifts. Io has posted pictures on her blog of numerous gifts she's gotten, and some range from small things like snacks to incredibly expensive things like a macbook (:psyduck:), and other various electronics/clothes/jewelry. It helps that the majority of their income comes from those fans as well.

Them having a boyfriend would be seen as a kiss of death for their career most likely. Because autograph sessions, photographs, handshakes, etc are all items they tend to charge for. It was discussed in the women's wrestling thread, but Io charged a king's ransom for her newest photobook, which probably wouldn't have sold as well if people learned she had a boyfriend/husband/fiancee.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Lovin' these twitter posts from all my favorite wrestle stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheSamiCallihan/status/807051439893843968