Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if I or anyone else has brought up The Good Place starting Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, but I'm re-watching it and it's a good one for sure. Netflix has the first season, I don't have cable so I'm not sure about the status of future seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

om nom nom posted:

I don't remember if I or anyone else has brought up The Good Place starting Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, but I'm re-watching it and it's a good one for sure. Netflix has the first season, I don't have cable so I'm not sure about the status of future seasons.
Season two is seriously good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

om nom nom posted:

It gets brought up every few pages and it rightfully should. It's spectacular.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Peeny Cheez posted:

Season two is seriously good.

I don't know how they keep making it good but they do. The network must leave them alone to do their thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What can you tell me to get me to watch it as someone who watched the first four episodes and hated the crap out of it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What can you tell me to get me to watch it as someone who watched the first four episodes and hated the crap out of it?

Condolences, there is no hope for you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

withak posted:

Condolences, there is no hope for you.

Good to know it's not a first season of Parks and Rec situation.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

om nom nom posted:

I don't remember if I or anyone else has brought up The Good Place

Hulu has the 2nd half of season 2 up, so, just enough to piss me off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I recently subscribed to Hulu again because there was something specific I wanted to watch, but this kind of thing is really annoying

I had forgotten that having just a few recent episodes was a thing they did. It may have been ok when it was free, but now it's just ridiculous

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wind River is a murder thriller that takes place in Wyoming native land and features the bow guy from Avengers.

Honestly not a bad movie at all. Very basic premise with a good cast, including some great Native American actors that helped set it apart from so many other murder movies.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Why do they do this? I’ve noticed this with other shows too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mystes posted:

I recently subscribed to Hulu again because there was something specific I wanted to watch, but this kind of thing is really annoying

I had forgotten that having just a few recent episodes was a thing they did. It may have been ok when it was free, but now it's just ridiculous

Hulu's contracts are even more esoteric to me than Netflix's. There have been times where I wanted to catch up on something only to find they're hosting only the final 3 episodes of last season, a month later the full series is up, then a couple weeks later it's only the last half of the recent season.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events is up on Netflix. Season 1 was very good. Excellent score, amazing set design, and Neil Patrick Harrison is amazing as Count Olaf. If you've read the books, this show does an admirable job of translating its tone to television. I didn't appreciate the 2004 Jim Carrey movie, but this show I am in love with.

If you are alarmed by perilous occurrences, perturbed by menacing authority figures, or dismayed by unhappy fates, look away, dear viewer. :(

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Apr 2, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events is up on Netflix. Season 1 was very good. Excellent score, amazing set design, and Neil Patrick Harrison is amazing as Count Olaf. If you've read the books, this show does an admirable job of translating its tone to television. I didn't appreciate the 2004 Jim Carrey movie, but this show I am in love with.

If you are alarmed by perilous occurrences, perturbed by menacing authority figures, or dismayed by unhappy fates, look away, dear viewer. :(

The frustrating thing about Count Olaf is that he has a lot in common with trump

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Stick with it through the pilot of s2. I liked s1 just fine, but s2 is a huge jump in quality.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
My wife and I recently binged Tabula Rasa. It's a Flemish thriller series, takes a bit to get going but it has a few very nice and very unexpected twists. The story is about a woman with short-term memory loss who wakes up in a psych ward being a main suspect in a missing person case for a person she doesn't even recognize. It's told in a mix of flashbacks and present-time events, and nothing's certain until the final episode.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Hulu's contracts are even more esoteric to me than Netflix's. There have been times where I wanted to catch up on something only to find they're hosting only the final 3 episodes of last season, a month later the full series is up, then a couple weeks later it's only the last half of the recent season.
I think Netflix has at been pretty smart to stick to only having complete seasons and in general always have earlier seasons if they have later seasons. This is presumably based on their marketing around binge watching.

In contrast, I think the problem with Hulu is that they started with the goal of simply being a replacement for watching live TV in real-time, so they don't care if they only have random episodes even if that's worse than not having the show at all because it's confusing to users

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just watched Quebecois zombie horror movie Ravenous and it did a lot with a little, with some sincerely freaky zombies, and also with an increasing and unsettling level of general weirdness. It's pretty sparse and I'm still not sure what everything was about (But I'm the kind of dipshit who actually needs everything spelled out most of the time) but if you're a zombie lover like me and have seen most of the other stuff already it's probably worth a look.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think I posted about them before but the Bad Ben trilogy on Amazon is a relatively okay series. It's incredibly low budget and it's about Great Value Frank Reynolds buying a haunted house.

Well he made a webseries continuation where he's a paranormal investigator and it's baaaaaaaaaad. I've seen flash animations on Newgrounds that look better.

Edit: yeah just finished it I do not advise watching this because it's just horrible on many many levels.

Len has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Apr 10, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I hadn’t heard of Midnight in Paris prior to it coming onto Netflix, but I liked it. Cool twilight zone sort of story by Woody Allen about a guy who goes back in time to 1920’s Paris to meet the great artists of the time.

It’s silly but fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like cheesy dance movies and I've seen pretty much everything Netflix has to offer.

Step Sisters has the framework for every movie about a ragtag group of underdogs preparing for a competition.
However it has some interesting things to say about race relations and cultural appropriation.

It's freshman-level philosophy but much more than one can expect from these types of movies.
Plus it's actually pretty funny at times.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I hadn’t heard of Midnight in Paris prior to it coming onto Netflix, but I liked it. Cool twilight zone sort of story by Woody Allen about a guy who goes back in time to 1920’s Paris to meet the great artists of the time.

It’s silly but fun.

I saw this on TV, I think while I was staying at a hotel. I missed some of the beginning, and was baffled for a while. It was really kind of neat.

This is the same way I discovered Flight of the Conchords, by the way, so now I only watch shows if I've accidentally seen them on HBO in a hotel, first.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just finished Killing of a Sacred Deer which just got added. It's real hosed up.
I liked it a lot but it's going to be devisive. Closest thing I can compare to is mother!, so I'd say it depends on how that one landed for you.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If you've watched the several recent British crime serials on Netflix, Amazon now has Black Spot (Zone Blanche), a French serial about crimes in an isolated forest town in France, pursued by the Gendarmerie. Overall pretty enjoyable, with a heavy rural flavor that reminds me of the Welsh crime serial Y Gwyll (Hinterland) on Netflix.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

syscall girl posted:

They did say 21st

Looking through google's 20 or so big comedies in 2000 and 2010s I'm gonna say definitely Bad Santa. Some of Broken Lizard. The Three Flavours Cornetto. Maybe Zoolander, Borat and Napoleon Dynamite?

I know there are some indier things that are funnier than the above. Bad Santa probably has the best mix of funny + heart + just all around good movie though.

Also thought Talledega was really funny for the scenes with the family/kids.

walk hard the dewey cox story

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

snergle posted:

This movie gets more consistent laughs from me than 99% of comedies.

The wrong kid died god drat it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Rolo posted:

This movie gets more consistent laughs from me than 99% of comedies.

The wrong kid died god drat it.

the beetles scene is my favorite part

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You don't want no part of that movie!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You know what, I don't want to feel lovely and unfulfilled after watching this movie.

There's real character development!

Am I going to get addicted to it or something?

It's eminently rewatchable!

Okay well I don't want to watch something that goes on and on forever.

It's a tight 96 minutes.

It's not going to make me want to get high is it?

It's even better when you're stoned!

Sounds kinda expensive.

It's available on Netflix right now.

Hmm.

You don't want it!

I think I kinda want it.

Okay, but just this once. Hit play.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

snergle posted:

That is the greatest comedy ever.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is a particularly bad case of someone being cut in half with a machete.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
House is up on Prime if you’re looking for a procedural that’s great to fall asleep to.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It's weird to day this, but "Maps to the Stars" is one of the less weird Cronenberg movies.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I got through the first episode of American Gods today because I just finished the book and liked it enough.

One episode of the show almost ruined it for me entirely. How did this get a 92 on RT? It’s terrible.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

Man I got through the first episode of American Gods today because I just finished the book and liked it enough.

One episode of the show almost ruined it for me entirely. How did this get a 92 on RT? It’s terrible.

I had just read the book too when it came out, and I remember liking it. I kind of remember a scene in a cemetery about blowjobs that went on way to long that I zoned out of entirely.

I thought the first few episodes were good, and I was impressed at how reading the book didn't affect my enjoyment of the show. But I did just stop watching it, so I guess it didn't leave a big impression.

Happy People is a Werner Herzog documentary that was off of Netflix for a long time, but it's back. It's about fur trappers in the middle of no where, Siberia.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Lavender posted:

I had just read the book too when it came out, and I remember liking it. I kind of remember a scene in a cemetery about blowjobs that went on way to long that I zoned out of entirely.

I thought the first few episodes were good, and I was impressed at how reading the book didn't affect my enjoyment of the show. But I did just stop watching it, so I guess it didn't leave a big impression.

Yeah that was one of a few parts that brought me right out of it. Jesus Christ stop describing what a blowjob is. Also I think the main kicker was just that I didn’t like the acting of the guy who plays Shadow. I really liked his character in the book and I feel like they whiffed it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

Yeah that was one of a few parts that brought me right out of it. Jesus Christ stop describing what a blowjob is. Also I think the main kicker was just that I didn’t like the acting of the guy who plays Shadow. I really liked his character in the book and I feel like they whiffed it.

I agree with that, Shadow in the book felt pretty defeated and rudderless in the beginning rather than... 'irritable' and self-absorbed? I'm trying to remember what I liked, now. I think I liked a lot of the other casting - Ian McShane as a stand-out, and how they pivoted the Tech Kid to be something more with the times than an acne-riddled hacker nerd from 1999.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Which service has American Gods? I'll watch anything by Brian Fuller.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tagichatn posted:

Which service has American Gods? I'll watch anything by Brian Fuller.

Amazon

E: vvv hoo hoo boy, is there

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 05:55 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't watched it but is there random awkward sex scenes like the book? Gay djinni sex and the stripper that ate a guy with her vagina stand out.