Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s on motorsport TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nando going to take it across the line. :allears:

(Slowly with fire coming out the arse end)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

learnincurve posted:

It’s on motorsport TV

I don't think that channel exists in my country

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I don't think that channel exists in my country

motorsportsstreams subreddit my dude, theres a bootleg youtube stream

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Which is pretty good, I've been watching it since the start.

And enjoying a wikipedia edgelord deleting me adding the G-Drive car to the WEC page because it's apparently not an entrant.

You know, despite the fact it's on the FIA's entry list, which I cited and is actually racing right now.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

uh oh

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That looks expensive

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
RS3 commentary reporting that the car may have taken off Webber-style

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Car 7 reported for overtaking under the SC

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

god drat that was good poo poo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oopsie

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

71 Ferrari might get dinged for that, it was all fine until on the exit of the corner he suddenly turns right for no reason.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yay nando

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nando...podium

:haw:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This seems really lukewarm.

Like, of course Toyota would engineer it so Alonso would win in a 2-car battle wwhere reliability was their only enemy.

This is Michael Schumacher's 2002 & 2004 season all over again.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I managed to tune in right at the end, that battle for 3rd between the Porsche and the Ferrari was cool.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wirth1000 posted:

This seems really lukewarm.

Like, of course Toyota would engineer it so Alonso would win in a 2-car battle wwhere reliability was their only enemy.

This is Michael Schumacher's 2002 & 2004 season all over again.

Well, the only good news is that woth Toyotas engineers something is going to go wrong.

Hopefully at fuji, because gently caress them.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Leaving nothing on the table in the Conti race, the 59 mustang expired 1 corner after the checkered leaving quite a mess:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
In racing news in which the winner isn't a foregone conclusion, Acura Penske swept the front row at Mid-Ohio qualifying today and Mazda Joest swept the second row

We may actually see one of these teams finally score a win tomorrow, probably Penske but the Acuras may eat their tires too quickly and fall off the pace late in the stint, so I'm hyped

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

https://i.imgur.com/SGAWYuQ.gifv

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The lead Rebellion car of Jani & Senna & Lotterer DSQ'ed cause of an excessively worn skid plate.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/lead-rebellion-stripped-of-spa-wec-podium-finish-1034122/

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Terrible NHRA news

https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/nhra-statement-atlanta-incident

I've seen only a few screenshots, but looks to be this accident but the impact was on the roof where the driver is. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeeOxbRS-w

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

BMB5150 posted:

Terrible NHRA news

https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/nhra-statement-atlanta-incident

I've seen only a few screenshots, but looks to be this accident but the impact was on the roof where the driver is. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeeOxbRS-w

Thought the video was of the crash but realized it was kind of dated. For others who don't know that video is from a 2005.

quote:

On October 7, 2005, during a qualifying event at the Texas Motorplex, Allen was competing against Kenny Koretsky in a qualifying pass when his car, a Pontiac Grand Am lost control half-way on the strip and swerved onto its side causing a collision with Koretsky's Dodge Stratus. The resulting collision caused Allen's car to make heavy contact and split his car causing an explosion which destroyed Allen's car with the 500-cubic-inch engine rolling down the strip.[2] The crash caused him to retire from the sport.[3]

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Wirth1000 posted:

Thought the video was of the crash but realized it was kind of dated. For others who don't know that video is from a 2005.

Yeah NHRA is scrubbing youtube from that video getting out. Screenshots were as horrific as that but the car was facing in the worst direction for a car to drive through it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Tincknell's shunt was 29G :stare:

In other "news"

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/06/todt-aiming-for-seven-manufacturers-in-new-low-cost-lmp1-from-2020/

quote:

FIA president Jean Todt aims to lure manufacturers back to the top class of the World Endurance Championship with a new, much cheaper formula from 2020.

The number of manufacturer competitors in the top flight of endurance racing has fallen from four to one since 2015. Todt told RaceFans and other media yesterday budgets must be cut to attract them back and did not rule out the possibility of introducing a cost cap.

“I will not get into the detail how to achieve it but clearly we want to find ways of drastically decreasing the costs and making it more attractive to manufacturers and also to private competitors,” said Todt.
“At the top category of the championship, it’s not crazy to think if we do a good job and taking into account what needs to be taken into account, I could foresee without being over-optimistic five to seven manufacturers,” he added.

The top class could also be given a new identity, added Todt. “At the moment LMP1 is the top category. In the future we will still have a top category but it’s not taken for granted that the name will remain the same.”

Toyota is the only remaining LMP1 hybrid competitor following the departure of Porsche last year. WEC responded by moving to the ‘super-season’ format for the 2018-19 championship and encouraging more customer team entries into LMP1. Todt said he is pleased with the short-term measures which have been taken to stabilise the championship.

“We were in a kind of emergency situation,” he explained. “So being in an emergency situation we had to find some innovative solutions.”

Todt added he wants the LMP2 and the GT classes to continue alongside LMP1 but wants all the categories to be closer in terms of performance.

“I think it’s a good distribution to have a top category which will be clearly different from what it is at the present time and to have an intermediate category like what is called today LMP2 which will have a lot of teams which are competing at affordable budget and then a lot of GT cars competing.

“I would prefer to have less gap. What is sometimes a bit scary you go in Le Mans and you see after the first lap you have a group of cars arriving which is at the moment LMP1, then a few seconds behind you have another group of cars, and then you have to wait and you have the third group. I can understand that you have this pyramid in endurance racing but I would like a closer gap with this pyramid.”

since he offers literally no details other than "we want more manufacturers", how what would you guys suggest they do? The only way I see them lowering costs is to use a shared chassis and theres no way in hell that ever happens since it defeats the purpose of a top tier manufacturer-driven class.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I think F1 and WEC are in a similar situation. The difference is, F1 is now worth so much money that there's no reason not to stay in if you're able to remain competitive. Ferrari and Mercedes are both spending over 500million euros a year on F1 and are both (apparently) making profits.
IMHO, both formulae are too aero dependant which means the only value as a manufacturer is in advertising revenue and there are just easier and more effective ways to get it. If they could magic up a non-BoP EoT set up where Peugeot could pretend they were stuck in 2009 come in with a competitive package using what I'm guessing would be like two 3008 engines duct taped together with Turbos thrown in while Porsche got to run their i4 twin turbo hybrid a la 919EVO and Toyota got to amp-up their sadness generators power units and maybe look at alternative methods of generating charge. Hell, let Ferrari bring a V12, I'm sure you can balance it somehow. I'd go further and allow them to sell a limited number of cars per manufacturer to Privateers.

The quick fixes would be some form of partnership with IMSA to up the number of races WEC competes at (and open up the US which would be a strong lure to both US and EU automakers) but, lets be real here, that's not happening. We're not seeing LMP1s at Daytona because the ACO will refuse to allow DPis at Le Mans (and also because IMSA, much like Indycar, refuses to accept it's a "2nd tier" competition even if it does have way more manufacturer involvement). The other quick fix would be to do what IMSA did with LMP2 and introduce a DPi-esque formula but for LMP1. It might draw someone like Peugeot in because it washes their hands a lot, Toyota prolly stick if they're allowed to keep going with their Hybrid stuff since they love them the engineering data they get from WEC (apparently) but it's not gonna draw in VAG again (reminder: Joest asked if they could race the already built and designed 2017 R18 and Audi said - apparently - "if we aren't driving it, no one is") because they want complete control. Other companies might join but the Euro ones (your BMWs, Mercedes, Renault-Nissans) are mostly salivating over Formula E and the American ones appear to have theirs heads shoved up their asses (where they've been for the last 30 years).

Ultimately, Le Mans is back in that weird place it found itself in after Bernie killed WSC.
Like there's not enough value in WEC to draw in manufacturers but it's not cheap enough to draw in manufacturers either. Privateers make fun racing but they also stagnate a sport if you're relying on Mechachrome, Cosworth and whogivesashit to make you engines. The current LMP1-L chassis are also all super ugly so there's no value there either.
They need to swing to an extreme either open it up, and let Manufacturers go crazy and hope you get enough inertia from that that you survive the inevitable manufacturer exodus with 3 or 4 companies committed to WEC long term, OR drive the cost down and hope the privateers keep it alive long enough to put a bit of meat back on the bone and excite a couple manufacturers into coming back.

The old safe bet that "Porsche will be back and they'll inject us with enthusiasm!" is clearly dead and buried, exponentially so if they go to F1 and have any success in the first 5 years.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 6, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

On a personal level WEC's problem is that because of the lack of manufacturers and because most of the calendar is at tracks I dont give a gently caress about watching I just don't care about the series as a whole. If Le Mans didnt exist and it was just 18 months of the 12 hours of Abu Dhabie and poo poo like that I wouldnt even watch.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Basticle posted:

On a personal level WEC's problem is that because of the lack of manufacturers and because most of the calendar is at tracks I dont give a gently caress about watching I just don't care about the series as a whole. If Le Mans didnt exist and it was just 18 months of the 12 hours of Abu Dhabie and poo poo like that I wouldnt even watch.

Yeah.
The cars aren't that exciting (they weren't that cool last year either, but Toyota vs Porsche was interesting) there's never anywhere near enough races (assuming the hosting fees are way too high) and the tracks don't tend to be interesting (although the Superseason has Spa, Sebring, Le Mans which are iconic and great with Fuji and Shanghai which are pretty good, as well as Silverstone which... pass).

There's the GTP thing on the horizon that sounds like the rebirth of the tragically short GT1 era (HOMOLOGATE THAT poo poo YOU gently caress KNUCKLES) but Aston Martin's CEO (and wide eyed dream man) has already come out demanding that it be "an order of magnitude less than LMP1" (which for those playing along at home would make it around 20mil for a manufacturer).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 6, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Le Mans is one of those races that will always exist, and WEC knows it. The problem is right now is WEC was sticking it to F1 in terms of hybrid development, and was an attractive alternative, at least at the start, for teams who wanted to build a hybrid racing powertrain but didn't want to commit F1 dollars to it (and not have the risk of flaming out in 5 years). However, the rise of Formula E, which is cheaper and focuses more on the electronic tech (which in terms of automotive applications is still relatively in its infancy), was an even more attractive alternative because it's so much cheaper.

So all the car companies who want to help get electronics down pat ended up jumping ship to F-E instead of F1 or LMP1-Hy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
NANDO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7h4wLeOnf0

iospace posted:

So all the car companies who want to help get electronics down pat ended up jumping ship to F-E instead of F1 or LMP1-Hy.

I was hoping Porsche would get into F1 but yep, just did F-E instead.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Zaphod42 posted:

NANDO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7h4wLeOnf0

I was hoping Porsche would get into F1 but yep, just did F-E instead.

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/135834/toyota-froze-positions-in-alonso-car-favour

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hah! Scandalous.

Except not really, they raced to the last pit stop and then didn't want any poo poo to take out both of their drivers.

Red Bull could learn from Toyota.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I know it's probably heresy but could the WEC just make GTE the top division? Just a little looser with the homologation?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

I know it's probably heresy but could the WEC just make GTE the top division? Just a little looser with the homologation?

It'd just end up like old FIA GT where it basically just turns into a prototype class. I mean we're already halfway there with the Ford GT.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Mazdas staying right with the Acuras, and as of this posting have not yet exploded

e: I dont know whats more unreliable, Mazda prototypes or IMSA live stream. Garbage again.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is John Hindhaugh drunk?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
7 went from the lead to 4th in half a lap.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
55 Mazda behind the wall

Water wet, grass green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

Mazdas staying right with the Acuras, and as of this posting have not yet exploded

well there goes one!