Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I have a redi chek that I like.

Same. Two probe redi chek with a wireless remote is all I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Thermoworks Smoke is supposed to be pretty good. It isn’t $30 though.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Thermoworks stuff in general seems to be the go-to for cooking thermometer needs.

I've been using one of these for close to six months, and it's as good as the reviews make it sound. It goes on sale once in a while for 20% off if you can hold off on buying it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

Start 1 to 2 hours earlier than you already planned on.

Larrymer posted:

This but like 4-5

Well, I started it at 6am and I'm planning on wrapping it so I guess we'll see...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Brisket is like a woman.. usually never ready on time and the wait is painful.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, I started it at 6am and I'm planning on wrapping it so I guess we'll see...

If you have a fear that it'll be done too soon, just wrap the wrapped brisket in a towel and stick it in a cooler. It'll be too hot to touch for a considerable amount of time. Best of luck!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

like a dumb dumb, I let my cast iron grill grates sit out over the winter. anyone have any tips on removing rust from them without it being a big pain?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-restore-a-rusty-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203086

Remove rust, reseason

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My local weather prediction is for rain and possibly sleet with a high of 8°C, lower most of the day. Should I even bother trying to smoke? Is it going to just be torturous trying to keep any kind of decent temperature on the grill?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 29, 2018

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

My local weather prediction is for rain and possibly sleet with a high of 8°C, lower most of the day. Should I even bother trying to smoke? Is it going to just be torturous trying to keep any kind of decent temperature on the grill?

8 C is not really that cold, so I don’t think that by itself is much of a factor. Personally I would give it a shot unless it’s pouring rain and/or super windy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

If you have a fear that it'll be done too soon, just wrap the wrapped brisket in a towel and stick it in a cooler. It'll be too hot to touch for a considerable amount of time. Best of luck!

It went well and I did leave it wrapped in a cooler for about an hour and a half. Took abour 12 hours all said and done. Was a 3 lb point and there wasn't a bite left after the wife and I ate.

It was almost falling apart. I think wrapping at like 155 may have made it a bit too tender / broiled? I am going to try to wrap it a little later next time and possibly throw it on the grill at the end to give it some char. It was excellent though, especially for a first time.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Looks good! I wrap when I see the color I want the brisket to be, not by temperature. Try that next time.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I usually wrap after an hour or two of stall...wrapping right at a specific temp (which my dad has done a couple of times) seems to be too premature and result in overly falling apart brisket. I'm doing one on Saturday, and am going to try butcher paper instead of foil for the first time, to see if that turns out better.

One day I'll man up and go for a full unwrapped cook, but just don't want to commit to an overnight cook.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Deathwing posted:

8 C is not really that cold, so I don’t think that by itself is much of a factor. Personally I would give it a shot unless it’s pouring rain and/or super windy.

I gave it a go. Pork ribs and a beef roast. Both are tasty but seemingly a little over done and therefore a bit tough. Not terrible for a first try. I think even though my thermometer read 210-240 I think it was too hot under the lid.

The meat is my weeks meals so I will see how it turned out over the next five days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

Looks good! I wrap when I see the color I want the brisket to be, not by temperature. Try that next time.

ROJO posted:

I usually wrap after an hour or two of stall...wrapping right at a specific temp (which my dad has done a couple of times) seems to be too premature and result in overly falling apart brisket. I'm doing one on Saturday, and am going to try butcher paper instead of foil for the first time, to see if that turns out better.

One day I'll man up and go for a full unwrapped cook, but just don't want to commit to an overnight cook.

Both good tips. Will try that next time. Thanks thread!

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That recipe looks great, but I’m doing the Cajun smoked wings on Sunday, along with a whole chicken for my mom that I’m probably gonna brine in something this.

Trip Report: I pulled the whole chicken too early, probably because I didn’t put the temp probe in deep enough into the thigh. It needed about another hour, after being on there for close to two. It’s finishing in the oven right now.

The wings are MOTHER! loving! DELICIOUS!!

I’ll post pics when I’m done eating.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Amazon (Kindle) and Microsoft (Windows 10 version) both have the updated, eBook Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook on sale for $1.80. I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good, even if you're just interested in the history and not the recipes.

Also available at $2.99 on Google Play.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 30, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

marshalljim posted:

Amazon (Kindle) and Microsoft (Windows 10 version) both have the updated, eBook Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook on sale for $1.80. I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good, even if you're just interested in the history and not the recipes.

Also available at $2.99 on Google Play.

Thank you. That Amazon link alerted me to a new Steven Raichlen book coming out on May 1st.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Before I post pics, has anyone ever done grilled/smoked garlic parmesan wings, and if so, are there any particular recipes you like? About half the ones I found on Google use Frank’s Red Hot sauce, which I’m trying to decide if that’s a good thing to add to a garlic parmesan wing recipe.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

... Wow no posts in 5 days. Where the gently caress is everybody?

Alright fine, I wanted to wait until I got some garlic parmesan wing recipe suggestions but since the thread is so quiet I guess I’ll post it now. Pics!

Recipe I used for the whole chicken.
Recipe I used for the wings.

The chicken just before it went on the smoker. I used cheap Canadian whiskey instead of the bourbon the recipe called for in the brine because it was what we had on hand. I also forgot to turn the chicken while it was brining.

The chicken when I pulled it.

I ended up pulling it about an hour before it was done, because the probe hit 165 after about an hour and 45 minutes. I think I didn’t put it in the thigh right. In retrospect, I probably should’ve been able to tell from looking at it that it wasn’t done, based on my experience from smoking Thanksgiving turkeys (the skin should’ve been way darker than that), but I guess this is how I learn. We stuck it in the oven for another hour and it ended up being pretty good.

Now for the wings, which I’m way happier about.

Right when I put them on for direct grilling.

I direct grilled them about 5 or 10 minutes longer than the recipe said to, which may have ended up helping, because I couldn’t get the pit temp back up to the 350°-450° range called for in the recipe during the smoking phase, so the skin didn’t crisp up so good. I’m not really sure how to fix that on an Egg, maybe open the fan blower aperture on the DigiQ a little more to get the fire going?

After direct grilling, just before I put the stuff for smoking back in.

I couldn’t find any pecan wood (what the recipe recommended) at the store, so I used apple wood for the smoking phase. I don’t know how that might’ve affected the flavor, but I’d love to find out.

Just before I pulled them.

The recipe said to sauce them a second time and leave them on another 90 seconds before pulling, but I ran out of sauce the first time so I couldn’t do that. I thought about making more sauce but decided not to.

They were ABSOLUTELY UN-MOTHER-BUTT-loving-BELIEVABLE!! I HIGHLY recommend everybody try this recipe! The sauce is zesty and has a great kick but surprisingly isn’t too spicy. I’m toying with the idea of doubling the rub recipe next time I do this, since the brown sugar crisped up nicely on the parts of the chicken that got rub during direct grilling and added a nice flavor. I might double the sauce too.

I’m definitely doing wings on the smoker again. SO GOOD.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 5, 2018

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Got this bad boy going on the smoker in the morning....

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I’m definitely doing wings on the smoker again. SO GOOD.

Nice job dude, glad you're sticking with it and following up with some pics!

ROJO posted:

Got this bad boy going on the smoker in the morning....

I know EVERYONE says to start an hour or two earlier than planned and you should, but every single one of the prime briskets I've smoked have been done ahead of schedule. So prepare for that too! ;)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm thinking about smoking lamb shanks next weekend. I've never had lamb shanks before. Just saw them at the butcher and thought they looked good. Anyone got any tips?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm thinking about smoking lamb shanks next weekend. I've never had lamb shanks before. Just saw them at the butcher and thought they looked good. Anyone got any tips?

I've only ever heard of braised lamb shanks never smoked, so I looked it up and a few of the recipes I found call for smoking it and then finishing it as a braise. That'd work as you'd get all the smokey goodness in there before getting it in a braise to tenderize and keep it moist.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

qutius posted:

I know EVERYONE says to start an hour or two earlier than planned and you should, but every single one of the prime briskets I've smoked have been done ahead of schedule. So prepare for that too! ;)

That is ALWAYS my experience as well - done ahead of time. Fortunately the faux cambro makes that easy to accommodate. I'm also trying to crutch with paper instead of foil, so I'm guessing that will make it drag a little longer. It's just a guy's day - we're just drinking all day while our wives are at a bachelorette weekend, so I don't think anyone will be too picky on timing.

0430 - meat is rubbed, ready to go on

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well it's finally happened. My Maverick ET-733 is reporting all sorts of hosed up temps. Took 4 years to do it!

Time for a Smoke, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VERTiG0 posted:

Well it's finally happened. My Maverick ET-733 is reporting all sorts of hosed up temps. Took 4 years to do it!

Time for a Smoke, I think.

My Smoke got hosed up after a few months. Mid-cook one meat probe would lose its mind, no matter which port it was in. Replacement probe did the same on the first cook.

I just use the probes on my Flame Boss now, but I’m still sort of annoyed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Yeah, temp units are only as good as it's probes. I've gone through like 5 in the past couple years. More recently I have an issue where one works in one side while not in the other. If I swap the probes they both work. :iiam:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Goddamnit, should I just get something cheap like a Thermopro TP20 then? It's less than half the price. The company claims that if a probe gets messed up, even if its your own fault, they'll send you a new one for free.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

4 years on maverick probes? That must be a drat record.

First pork shoulder of the year. :toot:

Here's a temp monitoring question...I'm doing this somewhat remotely. Would be cool to see it online instead of relying on my better half to relay temps to me. I'm assuming a Heatermeter can do that?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Befoere I used a lovely old cell phone pointed at my thermometer and a webcam app on that phone that was account based so I could see the temp from anywhere

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VERTiG0 posted:

Goddamnit, should I just get something cheap like a Thermopro TP20 then? It's less than half the price. The company claims that if a probe gets messed up, even if its your own fault, they'll send you a new one for free.

This is what I have. I had a probe that went batshit during a cook and contacted them to get another. Days later I got a response and they sounded skeptical it was bad since it wasn't bad all the time so I didn't bother dealing with them further to prove it. I wouldn't buy this one for the warranty...

I did some jerky today due to some talk about it in the thread recently. I used this for the marinade:
https://www.jerkyholic.com/garlic-black-pepper-beef-jerky/
Except I read the pepper portion as tablespoons instead of teaspoons. I like pepper so this was fine.

Cooked it for about 2.5 hours around 180-200 and called it "good nuff." Could have used another 1/2-1 hour or so more, maybe. It looks and tastes like jerky, so I'm pretty happy with it for the first try. It isn't as dry as it should be, but this isn't how it's normally prepped and maybe I didn't cook it quite long enough. :shrug: Still gonna eat dis meat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smoked some duck breasts last night, and they turned out really well. (I seared the fat cap on cast iron first, because I wasn’t sure it would render and brown.)

Today I’m going to do a pork butt for pulled pork. I have no idea how long it’ll take (5 lbs + a 2 lb sidecar)!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Butts are funny creatures and there's no way to say when it'll be done. If you're cooking on a deadline and don't care about the bark, which I don't, then wrapping in foil/parchment paper is perfectly fine way to blast past the plateau and finish up the cook.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

figure it’ll be done between 2 and 5

Nope. (It’s almost 8, but it’s at 192F so I’m close.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 8, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, the butt I did yesterday went so well I was amazed. Threw it on around 9am @ 250. Was ready to go around 5. I did foil around 170 but at that point it was through the plateau I think. It was a 9 pounder IIRC.

But then you run into the tough ones and all bets are off...at least the smoking gods smiled on me yesterday.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Anyone have a good technique for chicken? I've done whole chickens smoked with Amazing Ribs' Simon and Garfunkel (which are great) but wondering if there's anything else I should try. I'm especially interested in any techniques for pulled chicken that doesn't end up as a dry, stringy mess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

I've only ever heard of braised lamb shanks never smoked, so I looked it up and a few of the recipes I found call for smoking it and then finishing it as a braise. That'd work as you'd get all the smokey goodness in there before getting it in a braise to tenderize and keep it moist.

That's kind of what I'm seeing as well. Apparently lamb shanks are fairly popular for Easter? I did not realize that.

Going to be giving them a shot this weekend. Will post results and if anyone else has done them, tips would be appreciated!

[Edit: This dude seems like he just smoked them the whole way through. I might try that just to see how it turns out.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q9KobaQMUo

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 8, 2018

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I haven't been around the forums for a while but I'm hoping for a recommendation! I couldn't find a BBQ thread (?!) but this is as good a place as any to ask: anyone use a Traeger Pellet Grill? Here's my dilemma: I have a broil king keg, but it has just been frustrating for me. It's small (18" diameter) and proper direct/indirect cooking requires more juggling than I'd like. Cooks slow pretty well, though, but it's hard to keep it below 275 because it holds heat so well... and it takes a lot of babying. I was going to get an ATC for it but realized I might be throwing good money after bad.

So I'm thinking I'll change my setup but not spend any more money - sell the keg and re-invest. Either a 26" weber kettle or a 22" and a traeger pellet grill (junior elite). Or another pellet grill if it's more advisable. I still want to do low and slow cooking, but I'd like a solid direct/indirect setup as well. The 26" seems to be great for that because of the extra space to get away from the coals (with a slow-n-sear), but the traeger obviously frees up the kettle completely, and the 22" has too many accessories to count. I just haven't heard many first-hand accounts of the Traeger other than what I see on Amazon. Some advice + insight would be much appreciated!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Anyone have a good technique for chicken? I've done whole chickens smoked with Amazing Ribs' Simon and Garfunkel (which are great) but wondering if there's anything else I should try. I'm especially interested in any techniques for pulled chicken that doesn't end up as a dry, stringy mess.

What temp are you cooking the chicken up to? I get tasty easy to pull chicken from cooking it till the breast are at 160 then letting it rest; same as if I were to serve it whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oh I was just referring to pulled chicken in every bbq restaurant I've ever tried, I've not tried it myself yet. My whole chickens usually come out really moist, I don't know why I didn't think it was as easy as just pulling them before serving. :downs: