Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

moller posted:

I'm fairly sure the whole "everything is turkey" shtick is less than a decade old.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm pretty sure their sandwiches are softer and damper than they used to be, especially compared to Jimmy John's, which uses bread that holds up and ingredients that taste like something. Every time I get a Subway sandwich it looks like someone ran it over.

I talked to my meat provider back when I was running a bar kitchen that did deli sandwiches for lunch, and they laid it straight out. Subway, at the start of the Great Recession, went to Hormel and said 'How much water can you press into this and still legally call it meat?'

Then spun it as lowered calorie counts rather than as increased water percentages. I believe the standard maxes out at ~15% added water (on top of the ~33% water content naturally in turkey), plus a bunch of salt to keep some semblance of flavor.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Quiznos had dope subs, RIP.

Subway is cheap, which is good

Jimmy Johns is good if you wanna slim down from getting salmonella

Jersey Mikes good

Firehouse good,

but the Publix Sub reigns supreme

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Grognan posted:

lol at the visceral disdain at subways is because this is what common people eat

Workerist jackass.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phi230 posted:

Quiznos had dope subs, RIP.

Subway is cheap, which is good

Jimmy Johns is good if you wanna slim down from getting salmonella

Jersey Mikes good

Firehouse good,

but the Publix Sub reigns supreme

Jimmy Johns is great if you want to support a disgusting piece of human garbage. Salmonella seems like a fair punishment for choosing to give them your business.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Subway: Pedophilia. :reddit:
Jimmy John's: Right-wing rear end in a top hat who hates unions & providing employees with healthcare. Also enjoys shooting big game animals.
Jersey Mikes: Seems okay.
Potbelly: Also okay.
Firehouse: Pretty cool dudes.

Pick any of the 3 out of 5 that don't appear to have terrible people involved, it's not that hard.

Grognan posted:

lol at the visceral disdain at subways is because this is what common people eat
There's so many places you can get a better sandwich for roughly the same amount of money though. You might as well :rolleyes: at people who are 'too good' for White Castle because they'd rather go to any other fast food burger joint.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Haifisch posted:

Subway: Pedophilia. :reddit:
Jimmy John's: Right-wing rear end in a top hat who hates unions & providing employees with healthcare. Also enjoys shooting big game animals.
Jersey Mikes: Seems okay.
Potbelly: Also okay.
Firehouse: Pretty cool dudes.

Pick any of the 3 out of 5 that don't appear to have terrible people involved, it's not that hard.

There's so many places you can get a better sandwich for roughly the same amount of money though. You might as well :rolleyes: at people who are 'too good' for White Castle because they'd rather go to any other fast food burger joint.

Only the top two have any presence at all in my metro.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
White Castle is good. 🏰

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Grognan posted:

There's not really anything wrong with "common people" eating Subway, it's just that the segment of restaurants up a quality level from it has grown and is sucking away a sizable chunk of their customers.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Jersey Mike’s is expensive as gently caress but it’s worth every penny.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Are Firehouse the guys with the hot sauce bar? If so, I thought their sandwich was pretty good.

They're building a Canes Chicken here now, and I'm looking forward to it because I won't do business with Chick-fil-a despite their chicken being delicious.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Neo Rasa posted:

Subway would be fine if the sandwich content wasn't contained between the worst bread ever. The bread alone brings it down to aggressively mediocre.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=035.jpg

That’s my bitch as well; before Subway was a thing, Togo’s was the general choice for sandwiches where I live, and they have good bread. Then the Subway Juggernaut came about and really put the hurt on Togo’s - I guess a lot more people were toothless and/or lacked salivary glands than I thought.

Now there’s like five different sandwich places near my work - Firehouse, Panera Bread, Togo’s, Jersey Mike’s and Subway. Nobody goes to Subway any more.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I miss Togo's, though they did suffer a bit when they paired up with Baskin-Robbins.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Are Firehouse the guys with the hot sauce bar? If so, I thought their sandwich was pretty good.

yeah thats them, they're p good imo

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
Pffft. Greggs.

Also never seen a Quiznos open. Saw one pre-opening in Birmingham City Centre, but when I went by a month or so later it looked like it had already shut down. At least I thought it was a Quiznos.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

ellspurs posted:

Pffft. Greggs.

Also never seen a Quiznos open. Saw one pre-opening in Birmingham City Centre, but when I went by a month or so later it looked like it had already shut down. At least I thought it was a Quiznos.

Well that's England, it's a totally different sandwich landscape. Also, for some reason, Subway's in England stops being the "meh" it is in the US and skips over to aggressively terrible.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JnnyThndrs posted:

That’s my bitch as well; before Subway was a thing, Togo’s was the general choice for sandwiches where I live, and they have good bread. Then the Subway Juggernaut came about and really put the hurt on Togo’s - I guess a lot more people were toothless and/or lacked salivary glands than I thought.

Now there’s like five different sandwich places near my work - Firehouse, Panera Bread, Togo’s, Jersey Mike’s and Subway. Nobody goes to Subway any more.

yeah Togos was pretty legitly decent for what it was. they had way better bread, and i actually liked their meatball sub. sadly, all the togos here in california have mostly closed up, or at least where i live.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Subway sucks. Luckily there's a Togo's right next to my house, because Togo's is boss.

Jersey mikes and firehouse are just bread bread bread.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

What about local sub joints? There's one not far from me that blows pretty much every other sub franchise out of the water.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In Columbus where I work we have a place called Di'Bella's and its loving amazing, as usual try to find your solid local fare.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any sort of local restaurant is worth trying once but it's never a guarantee of quality. I was excited when a little italian place opened near me but the food was worse than olive garden and they were gone within a year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sandwiches are ubiquitous, why do you have to eat from a lovely chain instead of a local place

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
New England has D'Angelo's. But you can also get grinders at pretty much any pizza shop.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Edit: nvm

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 6, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

New England has D'Angelo's. But you can also get grinders at pretty much any pizza shop.

d'angelos is just the lovely subs that papa ginos makes which is like a knockoff papa johns

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Wasn't this from before they went to their absurdly popular all day breakfast menu? Plus, I don't think bc's point was really that McDonald's can't fail ever.
I'm kinda shocked that worked, but then again I haven't really eaten breakfast at McDonald's in like over a decade. I just remember subpar pancakes and weird eggs from the few times I went as a kid. The sausage biscuits were alright, but nothing I'd be thrilled to hear was being offered all-day.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's something disgustingly wonderful about the hash browns at mcdonalds...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Renewal requires having actual proof of being enrolled in a college, being accepted to a college, etc.

They don't care that much; they accepted my obviously photoshopped tuition bill just fine.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Vegetable posted:

Sandwiches are ubiquitous, why do you have to eat from a lovely chain instead of a local place

not everywhere has 'em. i just moved from nyc to ga and i'm having trouble coping with the lack of deli counters serving sandwiches. used to be i couldn't go ten feet without running into a place that could make me a sandwich, 24 hours no less. Now I think the closest place is the Wal-Mart?

also the prices for cold cuts here are INSANE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

There's something disgustingly wonderful about the hash browns at mcdonalds...

ugh my local one just took away the hash brown and sausage biscuit for $1.50 deal, but they lowered the price of the sausage biscuits by $.25, i don't get it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

not everywhere has 'em. i just moved from nyc to ga and i'm having trouble coping with the lack of deli counters serving sandwiches. used to be i couldn't go ten feet without running into a place that could make me a sandwich, 24 hours no less. Now I think the closest place is the Wal-Mart?

also the prices for cold cuts here are INSANE

Georgia has more expensive deli meat than NYC?

Sandwich story: I was visiting relatives in south Philly / northern DE and they insisted I eat this wet "thanksgiving dinner" sub and it was the worst thing i've ever had

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vegetable posted:

There are no local places here because there are so many chains. The last local that stayed open is a meat market that does sandwiches as a sideline.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
4m bk t ti 4vldmlknew l ti uk he ml ml 7juuu new ll I he ml 8kk re v no

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Buckwheat Sings posted:

4m bk t ti 4vldmlknew l ti uk he ml ml 7juuu new ll I he ml 8kk re v no

That’s what I’ve been saying this entire time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Can't go wrong with fried potatoes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

Georgia has more expensive deli meat than NYC?

nowhere in georgia (or really in america) approaches the density of independent delis that you'd see in new york city

it's like complaining that you can't street hail cabs in the suburbs or find a place serving fresh pizza at 4 am

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

I had a local place that made great sandwiches, especially philly cheesesteaks. Despite making great food overall, the owner wasn't happy spending a shitload of time for what amounted to small pay. Over time some of her ingredients got worse and after about 4 years she gave up the restaurant.

I did manage to find another local restaurant that makes sandwiches almost as good, but they're more expensive.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s a regional chain (Western states plus Wisconsin) but Cheba Hut is really good for toasted subs

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
As someone connected to the bike messenger community I'm obligated to get Jimmy Johns so that a kid with a death wish can hand me my sandwich.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
As a disclaimer, I recently lived in two different small cities in Georgia over the space of two years. I will be the first to admit that the state is mostly appallingly hot, humid weather and racism, but given the ludicrous CoL in NYC I find it very hard to imagine literally anything in Georgia (outside of Atlanta, perhaps) being more expensive. I once was offered a job at NYU; the wage wasn't bad but the cost of living is so ludicrous that I would have been working full-time for the joyous privilege of illegally subletting a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JustJeff88 posted:

As a disclaimer, I recently lived in two different small cities in Georgia over the space of two years. I will be the first to admit that the state is mostly appallingly hot, humid weather and racism, but given the ludicrous CoL in NYC I find it very hard to imagine literally anything in Georgia (outside of Atlanta, perhaps) being more expensive. I once was offered a job at NYU; the wage wasn't bad but the cost of living is so ludicrous that I would have been working full-time for the joyous privilege of illegally subletting a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere.

new york city is a large urban area where you have a relatively big market for things like immediate sandwiches on demand such that there is space to compete in that market in the style of an old school delicatessen

in pretty much everywhere else you're not going to see a neighborhood deli, your options are the deli in the grocery store serving premium branded meats at a giant markup or some wildcat deli hanging onto a small market, or the generic array of sub shops from subway to whatever

like you're going to see a lot of businesses which are viable in nyc that aren't viable elsewhere simply because nyc is pretty unique in terms of density and thus what you can get away with as a profitable business through sheer blunt foot traffic for a customer base