Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

what i dont get about the reserved list: back in the day they changed it to remove some commons and uncommons from it, right? so why can't they change it now.

their hands are tied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kurtofan posted:

what i dont get about the reserved list: back in the day they changed it to remove some commons and uncommons from it, right? so why can't they change it now.

There's a large sword hanging over the heads of R&D and a single horse hair is all that's holding it up. On the horse hair is written "MTGFinance" and no one knows how it got there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mehall posted:

My opponent now gets 2 extra mana in my end step, meaning they might be able to cast a draw spell or a flash creature they otherwise wouldn't have had access to.

In Standard this means like a 1% difference in any match. This is not going to matter.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah i started looking through the comprehensive rules and you are correct, this is what i get for late night posting.

I will say that this interaction should categorically not exist though simply because it serves no purpose except to randomly get people blown out just because they havent read the comprehensive rules surrounding this bs interaction.

Sorry you don't know your comprehensive rules.

Here's a video to help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qvt5c5ZLU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kurtofan posted:

You're going to have to talk to Hasbro on that one. I'm pretty sure every single person at Wizards proper would love to dump the reserved list, but the decision is out of their hands, and corporate policy doesn't let them speak out against it. I might be reading too much into Maro's blogatog answers there, but that's definitely the impression I get.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kurtofan posted:

The moral was supposed to be that the power to change it was inside them all along, but they were convinced it was actually the money friends they made along time the way.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Hellsau posted:

There's a large sword hanging over the heads of R&D and a single horse hair is all that's holding it up. On the horse hair is written "MTGFinance" and no one knows how it got there.

Follow the money and there's your culprit.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

They don't even reprint half the cards they can reprint, even if they abolished the RL they'd never actually print any of them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I think it's more likely that as long as the game is healthy and product is moving, they have no real reason to rock the boat rather than anything else. Why risk alienating part of the consumer base, potentially dealing with frivolous lawsuits, and damaging their reputation for breaking a promise?

poo poo, Hasbro doesn't make money of the secondary market. I would think they would be the ones chomping at the bit the scrap the RL, with the old school WOTC employees reluctant to break the dark bargain they struck with grognards in the games darkest hour. I don't think Hasbro execs would lose sleep over the prospect breaking a 20 year old promise if they could sell a retro themed set with masterpiece or mythic rares RL stuff in it.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 6, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
we can't have roc of kher ridges plummet in value

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Repeal the RL and conservatively print a masters set (that isn't aimed towards drafting in any way) that costs like $40 a pack. Bing bing bong so simple.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If we have to talk about the reserve list, can someone please explain the flavour behind Mammoth Harness?

what does it do?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mossyfisk posted:

If we have to talk about the reserve list, can someone please explain the flavour behind Mammoth Harness?

what does it do?

oh wow, i didnt know this card

it gives last strike to enchanted creature, and also enchanted creature loses flying.

for the low low cost of 3G, at rare

homelands was something alright.

compare to lignify at common

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jabor posted:

It's kinda dumb, it should do it the way Eternal does and make you click through your main phases even if you have nothing to do. You shouldn't be forced to use full control to avoid revealing that you have literally no plays.

If you want to do those shenanigans at end-of-turn or something then it's reasonable to make you use full control mode to make that happen.

Also yeah, I get the argument that the current design speeds up play but if I drop an island on turn one and the game instantly passes, it tells the opponent at least a modest bit about my hand. You can work around it by enabling the control and waiting a few seconds but I would like if they made you just manually end each phase as a baseline, at least in ranked modes (assuming they add a casual one).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

what does it do?

you're tying down a powerful beast. like a muzzle or something

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

little munchkin posted:

you're tying down a powerful beast. like a muzzle or something
My read of it was that you’re putting a harness on something, not necessarily a powerful beast. The harness is meant for a mammoth though so it’s heavy and big. Most creatures will be made awkward and if they have wings they would be tied up.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

triple sulk posted:

Also yeah, I get the argument that the current design speeds up play but if I drop an island on turn one and the game instantly passes, it tells the opponent at least a modest bit about my hand. You can work around it by enabling the control and waiting a few seconds but I would like if they made you just manually end each phase as a baseline, at least in ranked modes (assuming they add a casual one).

On the other hand it's pretty annoying to have to pass every single phase if one of my creatures has an ability (like Dread Shade). I think this is just the problem with MTG as an online game, there's no easy way to optimize it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

moush posted:

On the other hand it's pretty annoying to have to pass every single phase if one of my creatures has an ability (like Dread Shade). I think this is just the problem with MTG as an online game, there's no easy way to optimize it.

Fully agree. You can have full rules enforcement or you can have smooth, fast, non-cumbersome gameplay, but not both. There's too many things going on in a game of magic

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

triple sulk posted:

Additionally, if you have an instant you want to play EOT, you either have to hit End Turn and un-End Turn fast enough, or click through every single phase of your opponent's turn.

There's no "pass until their end step" function right now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They really need to change the button that should be labelled "proceed to next damage step" from "end turn."

Also the targeting on Lethal Sting is really confusing. I can't count the number of times my opponent has killed one of their creatures and put a -1/-1 on the other jamming 4-5 of these HoD drafts. I just emote "Oops" and capitalize on the fuckup, what else can you do?

Alllllso they need to add a "effected by Gideon's +1" indicator. Right now it feels like a shell game if you use it on 1 of 3 identical creatures.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Some Numbers posted:

There's no "pass until their end step" function right now.

Put a stop on their end step and hit end turn.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Sorry you don't know your comprehensive rules.

Here's a video to help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qvt5c5ZLU

This video makes me angry and I don't know why

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also the targeting on Lethal Sting is really confusing. I can't count the number of times my opponent has killed one of their creatures and put a -1/-1 on the other jamming 4-5 of these HoD drafts. I just emote "Oops" and capitalize on the fuckup, what else can you do?

Yeah, I can see it being super easy to confuse because the order they're referenced on the card doesn't match the actual order you have to pick them in. I haven't played the card myself, but I imagine the prompts are done correctly, just nobody bothers reading them because they think they know how the card works.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Went 7-2 in my second draft after going 3-3 in the first; the format is weird but relatively soft, especially in BO1. Got 3 HOU boosters on top of the 950 (?) gems I won, which seems ok.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

moush posted:

Put a stop on their end step and hit end turn.

you can hit Shift+Enter to pass until they do something you can respond to, just in case they play something you need to counter before you get to their end step. It might not work 100 percent of the time though, so try it out and report it as a bug if it doesn't because lol beta.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Owlbear Camus posted:

They really need to change the button that should be labelled "proceed to next damage step" from "end turn."

Alllllso they need to add a "effected by Gideon's +1" indicator. Right now it feels like a shell game if you use it on 1 of 3 identical creatures.

These are in the list of bugs they wrote out but haven't fixed in a month.

Kurtofan posted:

The short of the story is that Beta was the only set that had commons and uncommons on the list. Or some kind of bullshit justification like that since I think most of the pre-Block expansions have cards on there also.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2018

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Reserved list isn't going anywhere, and you should probably try not to worry about it.

The short end of the answer is that the formats where you need official copies of reserved list cards are probably not formats you want to play in anyways (vintage, legacy, competitive commander). If you want to put some RL cards into your cube, it is way cheaper to print high quality proxies. Just don't support people selling bootlegs.

The longer end can be summarized as 1) Wizards senior leadership is probably scared of doing it because they won't get any support from Hasbro if they screw it up, 2) internally selling changes to how reprints are done is probably a politically dangerous idea already, and 3) they probably don't have convincing enough financial numbers to try it anyways.

But, counterpoint: reprint Moat, you cowards.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

araeris posted:

it is way cheaper to print high quality proxies. Just don't support people selling bootlegs.
I am curious how you would do this, since the one is typically produced by the other.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Ideal solution would be to announce an end of the Reserved List and then just not reprint anything for a couple of years, and then only things that made sense.

Like Moat in your Arthurian inspired plane of notBant.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Reprinting Moat, particularly in a standard-legal set, would be a terrible idea

I'm always kind of confused by the people who assume that the reserve list is the only reason they haven't reprinted cards like Moat and The Abyss. Most of the actual casualties from the Reserve list are cards that show up in the last few sets to fall under it, like Sliver Queen or Treachery, with the occasional odd inexplicably rare older card like Thunder Spirit. Almost all of the powerful vintage cards you'd want to see reprinted are either punishingly unfun or tremendously overpowered, to the point where there'd be no point to reprinting them except to support Vintage, which they've got no interest in doing. The Reserve list is dumb as hell, but it's absolutely not the only thing keeping them from reprinting most of those cards--they don't reprint most of the cards that aren't on the list, either.

Also they're never going to reprint Oubliette because its oracle text barely fits on a magic card

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 6, 2018

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I am curious how you would do this, since the one is typically produced by the other.

I probably should have said "cheaper to print your own high-enough quality proxies". I'm making a distinction between making fakes for your own personal use as opposed to selling fakes for profit.

Also, I don't really feel that strongly about Moat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also they're never going to reprint Oubliette because its oracle text barely fits on a magic card

they'd just have to print it as "target creature phases out until Oubliette leaves play" and update the oracle text to match. would make it so stuff that can tamper with the exile zone has no effect but w/e, that was never itended to exist when they printed Oubliette

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Moat either does nothing or is 2WW win the game so I dunno why people want it in standard

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Play vintage and shuffle your opponent's decks aggressively imo. Once the last few copies of reserve list cards are too old to physically play and must be retired, then vintage can stop being a format and the value of the reserve list cards will crater and nobody will care if they get reprinted.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there are 20 self-replicators in play on the gp stream

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elyv posted:

there are 20 self-replicators in play on the gp stream

Self Replicator is limited by your mana, what a garbage card

WOTC, have some balls so we can get actual exponential growth beyond our land count

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Devor posted:

Self Replicator is limited by your mana, what a garbage card

WOTC, have some balls so we can get actual exponential growth beyond our land count

admittedly, it's pretty difficult for either of these to actually get exponential growth in normal gameplay

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Polyraptor can do that if you wanna pay 8 mana for it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I made a cool Standard Bant list. I have only played 3 game so far, but I am 2-0 against U/W varients and 0-1 against Mono red GPG (was very close).

https://imgur.com/a/zqpSiHW

Turn 3 Teferi's are very good.
Playing a planeswalker or legendary and having Teshar's trigger get back a Jadelight Ranger is also nice.

The only thing I am not sold on is Shanna. I may replace her with a Blink the Eye or a Negate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Back to back PPTQ losses in the finals saturday and sunday this weekend after steamrolling game 1... Feels bad man!

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 7, 2018