Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Potato Salad posted:

They weren't going over the actual raw logs with their eyes to see if if any info wasn't being consumed :shrug:

Or, at least until someone eventually did

Maybe having every celebrities password in the world was a thing their nerds wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone who has worked even tangential to software development can see how this could have happened.

*During Story Grooming*

Dev1: "What's this 2 point story for creating a module to sanitize log data before storage?"
Dev2" "Well, I noticed our debug logs store a pretty low level of detail in clear text."
Dev1: "That's only because we're in active development, we'll turn off that logging level by the time we go to prod with real data, let's put this story in the backlog."

Then the logging level is never turned down when it goes to prod for some reason (someone forgot, rocky deployment that required a lot of initial troubleshooting, some business support process ended up relying on the logs.) The story exists in backlog hell forgotten until the backlog undergoes grooming and someone has an 'oh poo poo' moment when they realize that this never happened and logging level was never turned down.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bull3964 posted:

The story exists in backlog hell forgotten until the backlog undergoes grooming

So never.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This guy understands it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

7zip has an arbitrary code execution CVE out. If you have vendors that you suspect may be using their code in their deflation libraries, you should probably pressure them for confirmation if 7zip code is being used and if their product is affected. These types of disclosures tend to keep coming up years after the fact as companies realize the code-base they are dependent on is vulnerable but they neglected to update.

https://www.cisecurity.org/advisory/a-vulnerability-in-7-zip-could-allow-for-arbitrary-code-execution_2018-049/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hey did your talk you were giving at BSides(?) get uploaded anywhere?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thanks Ants posted:

Hey did your talk you were giving at BSides(?) get uploaded anywhere?

It's on her blog, linked to from the site on her twitter profile.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone implemented Swimlane?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question/rant. I do the IT for a hotel and one of my jobs is managing their booking engine web server. Basically its a IIS server that sits on the web on https. The dumb-rear end company that does PCI scans tells me we fail IF I leave the Windows firewall on and configured correctly. So they call me every 4 months to turn the firewall OFF (WTF?!) and then run the PCI scan and then we pass and I go put the thing back on.

I'd just like to know if I am the dumbass or they are.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

redeyes posted:

I have a question/rant. I do the IT for a hotel and one of my jobs is managing their booking engine web server. Basically its a IIS server that sits on the web on https. The dumb-rear end company that does PCI scans tells me we fail IF I leave the Windows firewall on and configured correctly. So they call me every 4 months to turn the firewall OFF (WTF?!) and then run the PCI scan and then we pass and I go put the thing back on.

What are the detailed requirements? What is the pass criteria? What are they scanning for?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

redeyes posted:

It sounds like the auditing company is running scans against your server from the internet and aren't able to make it past the Windows firewall, which is good. They should have a restricted VPN that allows them to scan that host, but if you wanted to configure the Windows firewall to whitelist their IP(s) that's probably fine, and way better than just turning off the Windows firewall altogether.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

There is no PCI requirement to NOT have endpoint firewalls. You need to have a zone firewall and endpoint is strongly encouraged, that guy is talking out of his rear end. You'll need to make sure a rule is in place so whatever vulnerability scanner you use can completely bypass it but besides that you're good with it on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It is not unusual to give scanners greater access than normal services to find issues like un-needed services or missing patches that would normally be undiscoverable behind a firewall.

Going though an enable/disable schedule is a dumb way to do it though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Vuln scans are for disclosure: you figure out what you're running that may have vulns regardless of other controls by leaving the firewall wide open and (probably) giving it credentials to the endpoint for authenticated scanning. Then you figure out if/when patching is appropriate and if other controls mitigate the risk the in the interim. Pen tests can come through that same channel (sans credentials) if you're trying to simulate someone getting in to a privileged location on your network, but are typically operated from something that has the same level ingress as whatever other normal clients connect in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Have any of you done OSWE or eWPT for web app pentesting certs? Thoughts?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My favorite PCI anecdote happened to us just a few months ago.

One of our platforms is a creaky old legacy system which depends on an equally old program for doing deploys. Being as old as it is, this deployment app uses an ancient version of SSL when it pushes out new files to the various nodes.

Even though this operation takes place entirely within the secured internal network, the PCI auditors were unhappy with the old and potentially insecure cipher, and they threatened to fail the entire company over our use of it. Unfortunately, the deployment app is commercial software that was discontinued years ago, so fixing this wouldn't be as simple as just downloading an upgrade. We were faced with the prospect of ripping it out and reworking everything around a replacement, which we'd probably have to create ourselves. It'd be a surprisingly big and expensive project.

But fortunately, the existing deployment app has an option to turn off SSL entirely. So we did that and now our deploys go out (still over the internal network) with no encryption at all.

The PCI auditors were satisfied with this, and went away.

:psyduck:

Here on the sysadmin team, opinions differ as to whether the PCI auditors were even aware of the irony here, or if they simply never thought any farther than their checkbox for SSL/TLS versions.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PCI-DSS says you straight-up cannot use RC4 any more, for anything. I doubt they really thought through it, but their goal was to make sure you are complaint and in that aspect they are correct. It is likely better in the long run to have internal traffic moving in the clear (documented, with risk accepted) than on a weak/broken cipher that gives a false sense of security and distorts risk assessments.

FYI if these are windows systems 2008+ you can use the windows firewall to create transparent IPsec tunnels for the specific application traffic on your network and use whatever cipher your heart desires.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 7, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Here on the sysadmin team, opinions differ as to whether the PCI auditors were even aware of the irony here, or if they simply never thought any farther than their checkbox for SSL/TLS versions.

PCI Auditors exist only to tick boxes, so the second opinion is the correct one.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have any of you done OSWE or eWPT for web app pentesting certs? Thoughts?

Are you asking for more info on the certs themselves because I'd like to know more as well. My boss wants to move two of us into more purple teaming type roles and I don't have *any* knowledge of webapp security stuff beyond OWASP.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Last time I ran into PCI-DSS was when the auditors said we should just copy-paste the sentences in the requirements, reword them as statements (Is XYZ done like ABC? -> Do XYZ like ABC) and that would be ideal conformance. Yeah, do not expect critical thinking from the majority of them.

It is a big world, so statistically speaking there have to be good PCI auditors somewhere. I would very much like to meet one and find out their perspective.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

PCI-DSS says you straight-up cannot use RC4 any more, for anything. I doubt they really thought through it, but their goal was to make sure you are complaint and in that aspect they are correct. It is likely better in the long run to have internal traffic moving in the clear (documented, with risk accepted) than on a weak/broken cipher that gives a false sense of security and distorts risk assessments.

For those doing a :rolleyes: about audits, I've bolded the important thing the auditors we're looking for.

It should be super clear that they wanted the company to know and, hopefully , act upon the fact you have an easily solvable risk. (Not easily in your case, but solvable like getting another company to build the software) Nowadays with GPU cracking the ciphers are nothing and a small investment to decrypt data.

They want you to realize that is a stone cold fact and the poo poo needs to be documented rather than some sysadmin guy coming in next year saying "yeah the traffic is encrypted". It technically is, but it's like saying we do ROT13 and that's good enough.

I hope the risk was bumped up a bit since even internal does not mean the financial network is truly separated from the rest.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the help, I will

quote:

configure the Windows firewall to whitelist their IP(s) that's probably fine, and way better than just turning off the Windows firewall altogether.

Which is much smarter than this BS routine. I am glad it's kind of standard procedure to let the scanner poo poo have its way around the firewall. We also have another firewall which is internet facing but that allows communication on port 443 and 80 and nothing else but I will whitelist them on it too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EVIL Gibson posted:

For those doing a :rolleyes: about audits, I've bolded the important thing the auditors we're looking for.

It should be super clear that they wanted the company to know and, hopefully , act upon the fact you have an easily solvable risk. (Not easily in your case, but solvable like getting another company to build the software) Nowadays with GPU cracking the ciphers are nothing and a small investment to decrypt data.

They want you to realize that is a stone cold fact and the poo poo needs to be documented rather than some sysadmin guy coming in next year saying "yeah the traffic is encrypted". It technically is, but it's like saying we do ROT13 and that's good enough.

I hope the risk was bumped up a bit since even internal does not mean the financial network is truly separated from the rest.

I get what you're saying, but the thing is, the old-rear end encryption in the deployment app was not part of our security arrangements. It was totally extraneous. So what exactly was the security risk it posed by being there, why was that risk large enough to threaten our PCI certification, and how was our security posture improved by switching this traffic to in-the-clear?

There was none, it shouldn't have, and it wasn't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The risk is that someone would see that it was being encrypted, and as a result think that it was not a big deal if it ended up being exposed externally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any OpenVAS nerds in the thread? After years of disliking it because the greenbone UI was designed by a dumb baby I finally broke down and installed it at home to give it a go. Now I'm trying to reconcile these two:

The schedule calls for weekly Wednesday 3 hour window starting 2am, then the task that's configured to use that schedule says it'll kick off at 6am? :confused:

Am I reading it wrong?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Martytoof posted:

Any OpenVAS nerds in the thread? After years of disliking it because the greenbone UI was designed by a dumb baby I finally broke down and installed it at home to give it a go. Now I'm trying to reconcile these two:

The schedule calls for weekly Wednesday 3 hour window starting 2am, then the task that's configured to use that schedule says it'll kick off at 6am? :confused:

Am I reading it wrong?

GMT?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, maybe. I thought I had everything set to ET. I'll double check, thanks.

e: That was it, thanks. Task was configured for ET but UI was still set to UTC.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Everything should be done on UTC IMO. Your user session can adjust for the timezone difference but your internal system clock should always be at UTC+0.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powered Descent posted:

I get what you're saying, but the thing is, the old-rear end encryption in the deployment app was not part of our security arrangements. It was totally extraneous. So what exactly was the security risk it posed by being there, why was that risk large enough to threaten our PCI certification, and how was our security posture improved by switching this traffic to in-the-clear?

There was none, it shouldn't have, and it wasn't.

Did the program touch customer data? From how it sounds, it did and that means it brings it into scope.

Turns out it was lacking and the "encryption" could barely be considered encryption. RC4 has brought into question if it really did everything properly, including by the person who invented it (re:initial random problems) and it took BEAST for definite proof that yes, it is weak.

An executive can now NOT say there is encryption internally. If the risk is accepted, then the exec is on the hook if that data is compromised. Where if the attacker got access to the internal traffic (and only the internal traffic for some reason) the encryption is pretty much plain text and then the company would even be more on the line for lying about not using out of date and not current software.

Jabor posted:

The risk is that someone would see that it was being encrypted, and as a result think that it was not a big deal if it ended up being exposed externally.

This guy is correct.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

Everything should be done on UTC IMO. Your user session can adjust for the timezone difference but your internal system clock should always be at UTC+0.

I have to fight this fight every couple of months. Sometimes with the same people.

"The UI adjusts the TZ displayed to your desktop settings, so stop setting the system to the local TZ! You're loving up my logs."

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Proteus Jones posted:

I have to fight this fight every couple of months. Sometimes with the same people.

"The UI adjusts the TZ displayed to your desktop settings, so stop setting the system to the local TZ! You're loving up my logs."

One of my goals for 2019 internally is to get us away from using timezones specific to where the servers are located. It's going to be an easy sell to some people and a pain to others.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lain Iwakura posted:

One of my goals for 2019 internally is to get us away from using timezones specific to where the servers are located. It's going to be an easy sell to some people and a pain to others.

This is a good idea and I really wish I could convince more people to do it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lain Iwakura posted:

The best of both worlds is to have a time zone configured at the OS but all of the applications use UTC

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Best of both worlds is to torch the local tz world and force people to spend a little bit of their limited brain power natively understanding what UTC means where they live

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Potato Salad posted:

Best of both worlds is to torch the local tz world and force people to spend a little bit of their limited brain power natively understanding what UTC means where they live

Let me tell you of Swatch Internet Time(tm). You see a solar day is divided into 1000 ".beats"....

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EVIL Gibson posted:

Let me tell you of Swatch Internet Time(tm). You see a solar day is divided into 1000 ".beats"....

Beat Time Coordinated, or BTC, the first decentralized trust time measure in the block chain...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
UTC or the lack thereof is the bane of my digital forensics existence. Well, when the app doesn't tell me which it is, anyway. Explaining to the court why it looks like an edit happened before a creation, etc etc. It never stops.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

large sections of our phone network died a few weeks back because NTP stopped working and enough phones and PBXs clock drifted that they wouldn't talk to each other

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Same except for ICSS on an off-shore rig (No one bother to configure NTP, god drat telecoms idiots!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

large sections of our phone network died a few weeks back because NTP stopped working and enough phones and PBXs clock drifted that they wouldn't talk to each other