Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Zizek would definitely run Human Occupied Landfill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm sure Carl of Swindon has some hot takes about Drow and alignment but I don't care to hear them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Youtube bounced me over to him regarding his Black Panther video, never having heard of him before. After a few minutes of him moaning about the positive press it was getting, I was like "Oh, man, if you somehow got your brain twisted into a pretzel where you think this is some sort of dramatic disaster, are you in for an unpleasant future.", and moved on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm for sure gonna listen to hours of a moron named after a likely fake guy who makes his bones ~defending the west~ so I can dunk on him for using the wrong saving throw rules

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Youtube bounced me over to him regarding his Black Panther video, never having heard of him before. After a few minutes of him moaning about the positive press it was getting, I was like "Oh, man, if you somehow got your brain twisted into a pretzel where you think this is some sort of dramatic disaster, are you in for an unpleasant future.", and moved on.

hbomberguy made a few videos making fun of his pretzel brain logic too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmKGPRXE-xw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Me watching Sargon, Milo, The Internet Aristocrat, Ralph, the AgeofConsentAtheist and The Last Son of the West playing Forgotten Realms and saving Fâerunian civilization from the hook nosed dwarves piloting a giant Marx robot: drat that's a real great use of my time

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is Fantasy Flight's Legend of the Five Rings good?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zizek would definitely run Human Occupied Landfill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwKjGbz60k

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Is Fantasy Flight's Legend of the Five Rings good?

The LCG or the RPG?

I enjoy the LCG but its release schedule leaves a lot to be desired. I understand they want to have cards out for tournament play but the long waits and then marathon release schedules of 1 per week is a bit much. Still affordable but it's very boom and bust.

The RPG isn't out yet but seemed alright, standard FFG/Genesys fare. I haven't paid too much attention to it because of how FFG handled Dark Heresy 2e. It looks promising.

In other news, http://www.storytellersvault.com/browse/pub/12056/Black-Chantry-Productions VTES is back. I'm tempted to get on this, it's mostly VEKN people, but it's also connected to Swedracula.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

In other news, http://www.storytellersvault.com/browse/pub/12056/Black-Chantry-Productions VTES is back. I'm tempted to get on this, it's mostly VEKN people, but it's also connected to Swedracula.

Oh hey they released templates and style guides for Kindred of the East and Ebony Kingdoms. I wonder how many redundant art assets will bloat the file sizes this time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Comparing Dungeon World with Blades in the Dark, it kinda seems like the latter is easier to run. It’s a lot more structured and delineated, but is still simple and obvious. Dungeon World in the other hand seems to be very up in the air, which is great for telling stories but makes me worry that I might not have it all down by the time I start GMing. I’m tempted to not think about all the systems and stuff in DW until I have to care about them, which might be never in a more narrative game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pollyanna posted:

Comparing Dungeon World with Blades in the Dark, it kinda seems like the latter is easier to run. It’s a lot more structured and delineated, but is still simple and obvious. Dungeon World in the other hand seems to be very up in the air, which is great for telling stories but makes me worry that I might not have it all down by the time I start GMing. I’m tempted to not think about all the systems and stuff in DW until I have to care about them, which might be never in a more narrative game.

While I still like it and it was invaluable in its time as exploding some of the advice from Apocalypse World in a way that was more approachable (to me, at least), Dungeon World is full of dumb bullshit that's only there "because D&D" that it's arguable you actually need to "feel like" D&D.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The LCG or the RPG?

I enjoy the LCG but its release schedule leaves a lot to be desired. I understand they want to have cards out for tournament play but the long waits and then marathon release schedules of 1 per week is a bit much. Still affordable but it's very boom and bust.

The RPG isn't out yet but seemed alright, standard FFG/Genesys fare. I haven't paid too much attention to it because of how FFG handled Dark Heresy 2e. It looks promising.

The roleplaying game. Saw the ad for the Beginner Game Box. I don't got money though because FML. I liked SW FFG so I was wondering how L5R FFG might be.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/jennlynnjordan/status/993142584116678657

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

The roleplaying game. Saw the ad for the Beginner Game Box. I don't got money though because FML. I liked SW FFG so I was wondering how L5R FFG might be.
It's basically the FFG SW game but they've kludged in the roll-n-keep system and stats. Personally I think it's got a few neat concepts but for my L5R-ing I'd probably just backport the good new ideas into L5R 4e.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That Old Tree posted:

While I still like it and it was invaluable in its time as exploding some of the advice from Apocalypse World in a way that was more approachable (to me, at least), Dungeon World is full of dumb bullshit that's only there "because D&D" that it's arguable you actually need to "feel like" D&D.

I like the different races and the classes and the idea of magical items that do fun stuff, so it’s not as though everything it got from D&D was negative. Though I personally am not sure if the traditional concept of damage and weapon stats is quite what I like in a system, and I think Blades in the Dark does that better via the stress/trauma/harm system. Rolling damage is ok, but I guarantee I will lose track of those numbers at some point, and BitD lets you just say “yeah gently caress it you gently caress em up”, which is nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I like the different races and the classes and the idea of magical items that do fun stuff, so it’s not as though everything it got from D&D was negative. Though I personally am not sure if the traditional concept of damage and weapon stats is quite what I like in a system, and I think Blades in the Dark does that better via the stress/trauma/harm system. Rolling damage is ok, but I guarantee I will lose track of those numbers at some point, and BitD lets you just say “yeah gently caress it you gently caress em up”, which is nice.

Yeah, something I like about Blades is that you can sort of treat NPC opponents the same way you treat any other obstacle: draw a clock, present a challenge, and react to the players' actions and rolls with it. You don't need stats for it at all. The default setting also strongly disincentivizes killing (unless you play as the assassins crew) because anyone you kill massively increases the heat your crew takes, so you want to try alternative methods first.

When I last ran Dungeon World I skipped the damage rolling myself. I just ruled that all damage rolls are maximized--basically a class's damage die is just how much damage they do--and adjusted enemy HP/damage accordingly.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I'd recommend having a look at Fellowship if you can-- the way damage is handled in it is pretty interesting to me, there's a lot of meat to the way it handles communities/"classes"/items, and I feel like it improves on DW in a lot of ways mechanically in general. I haven't gotten the chance to actually run it (we're in the middle of an Inverse World game) but I have stolen a lot from it. Plus the author is super responsive in the thread about it if you end up with any questions.

Canine Conspiracy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 7, 2018

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm sure Carl of Swindon has some hot takes about Drow and alignment but I don't care to hear them.
I don't hate myself enough to go see if he in particular did a video about it, but there was an academic paper titled Privilege, Power, and Dungeons & Dragons: How Systems Shape Racial and Gender Identities in Tabletop Role-Playing Games, and despite it being just over a year old, a bunch of the kind of people who make YouTube videos where they rail against "SJWs" got a hold of it recently, hence if you google the title one the results on the first page is a YT video that's an hour and 41 minutes long. A lot of people sure are mad that this paper even exists.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

I guess people are... surprised and amused? that the Satanic Panic happened and ruined a whole shitload of lives for no reason? Like, it could definitely happen again, people, maybe you should actually pay attention to extremely recent history.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

I guess people are... surprised and amused? that the Satanic Panic happened and ruined a whole shitload of lives for no reason? Like, it could definitely happen again, people, maybe you should actually pay attention to extremely recent history.

It never stopped happening, they just switched targets a lot. I guarantee plenty of lovely nerds who bristled at the whole satanic cult panic thing had no problems joining in talking about how rap was some kind of "degenerating" force.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pollyanna posted:

I like the different races and the classes and the idea of magical items that do fun stuff, so it’s not as though everything it got from D&D was negative.

Oh certainly—though the idea of race in RPGs is, uh, problematic—but I'm talking about poo poo like Ability scores and doing damage the way it did. The latter in particular is very ill-suited to "Apocalypse World, but…" and you could even do something better while still using the Rainbow of Polyhedrals if you absolutely must.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

It's just very funny to see that stuff that actually got passed around as part of that particular inquisition and how it's so very obviously written by pearl-clutchers who have never so much as seen a tarot deck for fear of it "corrupting" them.

If you like that sort of thing, here's a video by some cops who totally know what they are talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5CgSLC7smM

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They could just print this to dissuade people from satanism

https://twitter.com/ChurchofSatan/status/992462812424253440

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I was thankfully young enough to miss the brunt of the 80's era Satanic panic, Pat Pulling was dead by the time I really started getting into RPGs as a hobby. Agreed that the moral panic never really dies out, just switches focus, but looking back on the stuff that was going around in the 80's ala what Plutonis posted a link to is, with the benefit of hindsight, blackly amusing in a "this is seriously what a bunch of people went to jail over" way, hucksters and crazy people telling white suburban PTA moms that Metallica and D&D are gateways to Satan.

Covok
May 27, 2013

13th Age Glorantha is out.

Serious question, did anyone here buy Guide to Glorantha and, if you did, did you actually read it cover to cover?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

Serious question, did anyone here buy Guide to Glorantha and, if you did, did you actually read it cover to cover?

I read a whole lot of it, though not really cover to cover. I skimmed it and read in detail anything that I though was interesting, which was a lot of it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Covok posted:

13th Age Glorantha is out.

I've read a lot of it, you'll definitely skim bits of it (the doraddi are cool but I wouldn't read the encyclopedia for them). I'd recommend it if you're interested in the setting from what you've read already, but it's not like a Monster Manual. The guide's also very civilisation and history focused, it doesn't get super deep into a lot of the cosmology.

There's a similar book that's probably a lot more accessible and focused to the stuff you'd see in a 13th Age game here. I haven't read it though but it's a lot cheaper.
https://www.chaosium.com/the-glorantha-sourcebook-pdf/

There's a few region-focused heroquest supplements about Sartar and Pavis which would be useful and are more likely to come up in 13G than Fonrit* or whatever. Because 13th Age is a class-based system it's a lot more work to adapt to a different region.

*they loving better though so I can be a pujaleg vigilante

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 7, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Covok posted:

I actually did, and liked it to the extent that the Glorantha Sourcebook left me largely unimpressed and felt sorta redundant (I think it even had more than one piece of the art directly reprinted from GtG).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I still really want a physical copy of the Guide, now that I've finally found a job I might be able to save up for a copy

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

I def want a copy, because I love reference books, esp. of invented worlds. I don't think I ever read any Dragonlance books but I rented the atlas from the library like a hundred times as a kid.

I have Heroquest and the Sartar supplements but for some reason I don't really "get" the system, like it's supposed to be rules light but I don't know if the rules are just not explained well or I just hate them.

Also it does seem tailored to a group that knows a ton about Glorantha and I'd run it with people that know nothing about it. The Sartar supplements are really cool though. What's the consensus on 13G so far? I like 13th Age as a system a bunch.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: New blogpost is up for Let Thrones Beware

Today's topic: Dice Modifiers – Edge, Advantage, and Desperation

This week, we're taking a look at how the universal challenge mechanic is modified by a few different systems. One thing that I really wanted to be sure of in designing Let Thrones Beware was that there were as few fiddly modifiers as possible. Did I succeed? Hell ya!

Dice Modifiers – Edge, Advantage, and Desperation

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

ross the boss posted:

What's the consensus on 13G so far? I like 13th Age as a system a bunch.
I was kinda disappointed due to a lot of potential game material being reduced to "we'll mention it as a side note, wait for a possible expansion" (see Aldryami / Mostali / dragonewts, for example).
Also some classes were meh. Also it was all Orlanthi / Lunar / Dragon Pass-centric once more, which is perhaps understandable but still somewhat regrettable.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Canine Conspiracy posted:

I'd recommend having a look at Fellowship if you can-- the way damage is handled in it is pretty interesting to me, there's a lot of meat to the way it handles communities/"classes"/items, and I feel like it improves on DW in a lot of ways mechanically in general. I haven't gotten the chance to actually run it (we're in the middle of an Inverse World game) but I have stolen a lot from it. Plus the author is super responsive in the thread about it if you end up with any questions.

I'll second that Fellowship works very well if you're wanting a fantasy Apocalypse World-type game that's come out since people got a better handle on how to make PbtA games.

Plutonis posted:

They could just print this to dissuade people from satanism

https://twitter.com/ChurchofSatan/status/992462812424253440

It's always funny and sad to see the way Randian Satanists try to sound cool on social media

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

It's still happening right now. The increasingly popular "Qanon" is as we speak mainstreaming the idea that all democrats are satanist cannibals.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Where's that doc for "if you like this about D&D, try one of these others instead"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Where's that doc for "if you like this about D&D, try one of these others instead"?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19EfAN7KoU7rWy-TYchf8wVkbfbkRRrv3_ZpnA7ZNljU/edit

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Lurdiak posted:

It's still happening right now. The increasingly popular "Qanon" is as we speak mainstreaming the idea that all democrats are satanist cannibals.

Yeah, I guess I was trying to avoid sounding hyperbolic on the internet, and went too far the other direction.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

If anything they are wrong for not believing to to be a bipartisan issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, which DnD are we talking about right now? :v: