Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, I really like the 686 indoors.

I had mixed experiences with it, like I said they feel more reliable but the SMG's are just better overall.

The two experiences I had that formed that opinion was drilling a guy one shot with the pumpy in prison which was good, and then hitting a guy with both barrels of the s686 in the school building at San Martin and he survived (on about 5 health on the deathcam), which was enraging.

Imo when/if they ever fix the pellet problem of shotties I'll start taking them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

abigserve posted:

Nothing really to note on shotguns, they felt slightly more reliable but still garbage.

I one shot a guy with full health by aiming for his kneecaps with the Saiga, which was a giant change of pace.

https://streamable.com/9omux

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Got eliminated in the most evil genius way last night. Crate drops in the water, about 5 meters off shore. Another guy shows up, but I wind up losing him in a scuffle. Eventually after about three or four minutes I decide to go for it.

I get in the water and swim around the far side and…guess who’s there? Guy swims back to shore. As he’s about half way there I realize you can’t use your gun in the water. I try to haul rear end back to shore but it’s far too late.

That son of a bitch had been baiting me the whole time :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dangerllama posted:

Got eliminated in the most evil genius way last night. Crate drops in the water, about 5 meters off shore. Another guy shows up, but I wind up losing him in a scuffle. Eventually after about three or four minutes I decide to go for it.

I get in the water and swim around the far side and…guess who’s there? Guy swims back to shore. As he’s about half way there I realize you can’t use your gun in the water. I try to haul rear end back to shore but it’s far too late.

That son of a bitch had been baiting me the whole time :allears:

Do you still instantly die if you try to vault onto a crate in the water? Could have tried to climb on top of it and get em when they climb ashore.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Do you still instantly die if you try to vault onto a crate in the water? Could have tried to climb on top of it and get em when they climb ashore.

Interesting. I should have tried that. Though it would have required me to think about it, and more generally to not be bad at the game.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 7, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I wrecked some squad today after they downed my two teammates. Didn’t think too much of it and moved on to win the game. I had a Discord PM from one of the guys telling me he was top 100 and half congratulating me on wiping my his squad, I guess.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 7, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"so you should feel accomplished" - lol

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Today was a pretty good day after having a horrendous start to the season. Playing less aggressively is netting more wins, and I'm coming to the realization that not every game can be a double digit kill game. Also... the rating system is weird.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rating system is now working like this:

Win Rating starts at 1500 which in the old system was extremely high. Kill Rating starts at 1000.

Prior to this season both started at 1000 so the baseline rank was 1200 (1000 wr + 1000*0.2 kr). Both ratings start to suffer heavy diminishing returns at around 1700 and realistically cap at 1800 though there's no hard cap. Depending on the inflation based on server population these thresholds can be as low as 1600/1700. Right now WR starts at 1500 but nothing else has been adjusted and now the rating is effectively compressed. Instead of ranging from 1200 to 2100 it now ranges, God loving knows why, from 1700 to 2100, with 1850 being already extremely high ranking.

My theory is that they were trying to see what would happen to ratings if they increased the KR weight. Because of the biased rating in this season, kills in theory should effectively account for 35% instead of 16% of the rating in high-pop regions, and 40% in low-pop regions.

What's happening in practice though is that I'm almost not getting any points whatsoever either in WR or KR compared to before so my two cents is that someone hosed up.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
This patch has thrown me completely off. From being a mediocre player who has a 50/50 chance per encounter I can no longer hit anything at all, whilst everyone has laser guided guns. I did see my rating was a lot higher despite me being total crap - makes me wonder whether I’m being matched with people who are actually good at the game.

Also, how long does it take to sort the circles out? Tired of taking fights and then being punished by the circle.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

knees of putty posted:

This patch has thrown me completely off. From being a mediocre player who has a 50/50 chance per encounter I can no longer hit anything at all, whilst everyone has laser guided guns. I did see my rating was a lot higher despite me being total crap - makes me wonder whether I’m being matched with people who are actually good at the game.

Also, how long does it take to sort the circles out? Tired of taking fights and then being punished by the circle.

I'm still in the process of figuring out again what is good for myself after the patch, but so far what's worked best for me is going back to my old setup and learning how to live with the nerfed ARs. If I don't find a sniper I'm taking an AK for close quarters and a Scar/M4/M16 for medium/long range. I've seen an overabundance of AR and ammo all over the game and sometimes people are just leaving them behind on looted buildings.

The UMP is again a trap-tier weapon because it looks good, feels good, there's no recoil whatsoever but if you're on a blown out trade with someone and someone has an AR and they hit you more, you die first. I take great joy in using the SMGs and they feel super smooth but my win rate went back to normal as soon as I ditched them and went double AR which is way more common now or AR + DMR. The Vector is super good after the changes but most of my trades occur in a range where its power is lessened.

Circles have been (for me) a lot easier since the patch they adjusted it (I think it was the Update 11, not sure if they stealth changed on 12 but if they did it was to increase 11's effect). This is my current modus operandi:

1) If you're interested in climbing the ladder and you're okay with having lower K/D, go to a remote city. In Erangel I go to North Georgopol and Yasnaya Polyana depending on which is further from the airplane. Jerkface, a goon who's also very high ranked, reached the same conclusion on his own. Not sure which places other high-ranked people go, if these aren't working out for you, then feel free to adapt. In Miramar I go to El Azahar, Water Treatment or Villa Del Mar.

Traits of the aforementioned places:

* Very few people go to North Georgopol if the plane doesn't fly right through it.
* There's a very good chance you'll encounter someone in Yasnaya if the plane is 1-2 km away from it. I can't go in depth on how to play Yasnaya but all you need to know is that a really easy city to hunt if you know how many people you're dealing with. If Yasnaya is in the center then you're guaranteed to see some action in the South, you can either camp the buildings south and look for a fight or camp the buildings north for a more guaranteed result.
* People liked some of ridiculous high-density places in El Azahar but they removed those and now the city is pretty much dead. Before Update 12 it was common to fight 2-3 other groups there even if it was away from the route, now no one touches it (at least in my matches)
* Villa Del Mar is as dead as dead gets.

2) In general, if there's a major city on the dead center of any circle besides the first, abandon everything and rush it. I find this to be more effective after Update 11. Before, the meta favored staying around the borders and clean your way towards the next circle. Right now invading a major city yields such a higher EV compared to staying in the open that there's no reason to do otherwise. From there you defend your position and you can get some easy kills from people entering the city late.

3) Cars are a lot more effective after the Circle change. If you're in a hub in the center of the circle you're likely to gain 2 or 3 more circles worth of position. If the circle fucks you up, drop everything ASAP and move to the next center.

4) Regardless of the meta, always plan your exit route and be aware of who you can avoid and who you >have< to kill.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 7, 2018

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
After the update I have had great success in Miramar by looting in this area if you want a safer looting phase.

It has plenty of good buildings and any fights can be controlled pretty easily. A car is a necessity though.

Concerning the new weapons I really like to run SLR + bolt action sniper (when I can get my hands on it). The SLR just seem crazy good to me atm at any range really. I have won a large majority of my close range fights with it. I haven't settled in with the updated ARs yet and wonder if I need to change my playstyle to more of a tapping style except for very close range.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Maybe I missed an update, but didn't they roll back the circle changes?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

knees of putty posted:

Maybe I missed an update, but didn't they roll back the circle changes?

They rolled back the circle change that made them move slower with a shorter wait between each phase. That was a while ago, and I think it was only live for a few hours.

The latest circle change we're talking about involves only the centering of each successive play area. It seems people are saying that it's intentionally a little more likely to hard-shift now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what if instead of being random the red zone spawned 15 seconds after a crate touched the ground, and in such a way that its area included the crate

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Ok, thanks for the tips. It seems I need to adjust strats and get out of bad habits that don’t work well in the new meta.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I wrecked some squad today after they downed my two teammates.
You mean you cleaned up the last 2 after I got the first 2 solo on our flank and our team mate got the 3rd guy to 1hp? Very wrecked indeed. I did need you to pull out those little baby clutch kills so I could big daddy clutch out all 6 of the last players for the (double digit) din dins.

Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwfCjbpSVIg&t=713s

I think I gained some of shroud's powers after killing him because, oh baby, that last spray transfer.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Watch out for this spot in the oasis :v

@Elantor, I have also noticed the AR frequency. I'm not complaining at all, but I do find it somewhat ironic that they were concerned with having one really good weapon class in the game and made all the others better, but now I can never find an SMG. The ARs all still feel good to me. Spray control is a bit harder and I've wiffed several of what would have been easy kills in the past, but otherwise, like you I still wouldn't not have one.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Oh my god, it's a mirage
I'm tellin' y'all, it's sabotage

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Slim Mat posted:

Watch out for this spot in the oasis :v

"We were somewhere around La Cobreria, on the edge of the oasis, when the drugs began to take hold."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Elentor posted:

The UMP is again a trap-tier weapon because it looks good, feels good, there's no recoil whatsoever but if you're on a blown out trade with someone and someone has an AR and they hit you more, you die first. I take great joy in using the SMGs and they feel super smooth but my win rate went back to normal as soon as I ditched them and went double AR which is way more common now or AR + DMR. The Vector is super good after the changes but most of my trades occur in a range where its power is lessened.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but...yes, if someone hits you more you will die first?

The UMP and Vector are good in full auto out to 50-60 yards which is kind of crazy.

I seem to find SMG's are more common to find now with AR's about the same as before.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
After the patch, I'm getting kills every game. I don't know what happened but I like it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

After the patch, I'm getting kills every game. I don't know what happened but I like it.

yeah my KD is around 2 this time around which normally its around 1. I think its that a lot of people are still getting used to the new recoil on some of the guns and I just kind of adapted to it quicker or something

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I tried to shoot the groza on full auto after the patch and ended up shooting the sun and dying.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's a new season so a lot of people are playing against people who are very, very bad.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's a new season so a lot of people are playing against people who are very, very bad.

it me.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Savage is coming back Thursday. Open to everyone this time.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1651010346611658930

Not sure why they wouldn't put it on the regular test client but go for it, I guess.

quote:

Now let’s get to the real news. We’re about to open a new round of testing on Sanhok, and this time everyone who owns a copy of PUBG will be able to play—we’re turning the Closed Experimental Server into the “Experimental Server.” Expect to see it show up in your Steam library sometime soon.

Full testing schedule below:

TESTING BEGINS:
THURS May 10, 7pm PDT / FRI May 11, 4am CEST / May 11, 11am KST

TESTING ENDS:
MON May 14, 4am PDT / May 14, 1pm CEST / May 14, 8pm KST

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Great lobby update Bluehole.

Two of me on the team. If only.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Is Sanhok short for Sandy Hook?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's japanese for "three hok"

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I've been dying to a lot of desync issues this patch and it's starting to get to the point that I'm not sure I want to keep playing. I'll pop out and shoot someone 4-8 times but my death cam will show me shooting once or twice or sometimes not at all. It happens at least a few times a day.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

What an absolutely terrible name.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

who gives a poo poo lol

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Oh yeah, and a couple of days ago I was the only person left alive in my squad and they watched me throw a grenade in the window of a room with two people in it. The grenade blew up on the ground outside and I got shot to death because there was no cover.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

who gives a poo poo lol

We are all going to have to hear goons say it a million times forever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Sorry for long video but it doesn't work otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4GgqoF6JVs

At first, I thought this guy was just really bad. Then I watched the replay. He was bad, but when he died, he was still in the smoke. It just didn't render on my screen. He couldn't see me rush up the stairs. Feels bad, man.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but...yes, if someone hits you more you will die first?

Post-buff, the UMP has less DPS than any single AR, even the nerfed Scar-L. The Scar-L is not that hard to control. When you account its lower-than-half bullet speed, an AR is just better than the UMP in every scenario. The UMP's advantage is laser-focus accuracy. My point is that if you're in CQC and both players hit the same spots, an AR will out-damage the UMP, and if you're not in CQC then any AR is just better than the UMP in every meaningful way. Not even accounting for damage falloff because who knows how that works.
Like I said, the design of the UMP is:
+Accuracy
-A worse AR in every other way
Which is fine but it also means that if two people are hitting each other, you'll die first. If you get the jump it doesn't matter which weapon it is, but the UMP doesn't give you any particular advantage in CQC (where SMGs are supposed to shine) and you're counting on the enemy missing you. That's why I call it a trap.

Just so you don't think I hate the weapon or something, I just won two matches back-to-back with an UMP. It's not a bad weapon, it's just a weapon that barely fits in their design philosophy and made a lot more sense in the pre-patch loot table.

Slim Mat posted:

@Elantor, I have also noticed the AR frequency. I'm not complaining at all, but I do find it somewhat ironic that they were concerned with having one really good weapon class in the game and made all the others better, but now I can never find an SMG. The ARs all still feel good to me. Spray control is a bit harder and I've wiffed several of what would have been easy kills in the past, but otherwise, like you I still wouldn't not have one.

Yeah I have a friend who pretty much always used SMGs and there have been a few matches where she couldn't find any, sometimes there's a lot and sometimes you can go on and on looting with no luck. It doesn't help that the people we loot are rolling double ARs as well, usually in the form of AK + Scar-L.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2018

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I never run the UMP so I can't comment on that but the vector has higher DPS than any non-crate AR and is insanely good in this patch. You can also move faster while ADS'ing with an SMG and in general so you can make yourself a little harder to hit in close quarters engagements. With that said the kitted M4/SCAR is still the best because you get 30-40 bullets, at least in duo/squads where you often have to down 2+ people before reloading (see my clip posted earlier today). With the vector you simply can't miss at all if you want to drop more than one person in a clip.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just put savage live please we're still beta testing the other two maps for you bluehole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This game is going to be pretty sweet when it's released.