Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

never having children

once again, being gay is my pro strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gay people can have children

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Children rule!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm playing through Outlast 2 at the moment and I'm finding it really unusual.

The overall story and atmosphere feels like it was created by an "edgy" 14 year old and I've broken 4 or 5 of the set pieces by just going backwards when they trigger because it seems to make the enemies wander off or despawn or something. Nothing better than having tense "they're going to get ya" music playing whilst you just wander around with impunity until you find the next checkpoint and it abruptly stops.

It all feels amateurish as gently caress and I honestly can't tell if I'm enjoying it or not. I heard it was a frustrating trial-and-error fest but I'm not experiencing that at all because the enemies keep disappearing for some reason.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm playing through Outlast 2 at the moment and I'm finding it really unusual.

The overall story and atmosphere feels like it was created by an "edgy" 14 year old and I've broken 4 or 5 of the set pieces by just going backwards when they trigger because it seems to make the enemies wander off or despawn or something. Nothing better than having tense "they're going to get ya" music playing whilst you just wander around with impunity until you find the next checkpoint and it abruptly stops.

It all feels amateurish as gently caress and I honestly can't tell if I'm enjoying it or not. I heard it was a frustrating trial-and-error fest but I'm not experiencing that at all because the enemies keep disappearing for some reason.

Is this part of the tourist difficulty they patched in recently?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I told myself if I ever want a kid I'm just going to foster. Skip the terrible baby phase and you help someone who could really use a stable home.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Propaganda Hour posted:

Is this part of the tourist difficulty they patched in recently?

I'm playing on normal. The AI just seems to be scripted as gently caress and breaks really easily.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Children rule!

children suck, my one year old was up crying most of last night and my four year old woke up at 3 am and didn't go back to bed

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ooh boy, Little Nightmares is an argument for how good Playdead actually is at creating cinematic platforms because 30 minutes in and this suuuucks. It's pretty and creepy but the 3D environment coupled with physics based puzzles creates these depth perception issues. It's almost like I'm playing a British isometric Amiga game. And the checkpoint system is horrendous. Inside and Limbo at least don't waste your time when you die.

fake edit: Wow, this is by the same company that did City of Metronome. That and Rainy Woods were the big internet talking points about canceled games in the mid aughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4KmBjE3oY

You can definitely see the DNA in Little Nightmares.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

Ooh boy, Little Nightmares is an argument for how good Playdead actually is at creating cinematic platforms because 30 minutes in and this suuuucks. It's pretty and creepy but the 3D environment coupled with physics based puzzles creates these depth perception issues. It's almost like I'm playing a British isometric Amiga game. And the checkpoint system is horrendous. Inside and Limbo at least don't waste your time when you die.

fake edit: Wow, this is by the same company that did City of Metronome. That and Rainy Woods were the big internet talking points about canceled games in the mid aughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4KmBjE3oY

You can definitely see the DNA in Little Nightmares.

Strong agree. Its a very tepid puzzle platformer riding on graphics

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Girls und Panzer is a very long visual novel adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale that replaces awful rapey poo poo with the occasional World War 2 tank drifting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I do recall the opening being the least good part. :shrug:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Genowhirl70/status/993262391390588929

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

Combine w/ games ftw

i just realized i've been on :420: and Space Traders Frontier for about 12 hours now without quite realizing it

(and i ain't done yet!!!)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

would play

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Tooie (And DK64 also I guess) really went all-in on excess. Everything is bigger and there's always more of whatever (More moves, more transformations, more visits between worlds etc.), though its always not to the game's benefit.

After replaying the games when the 360 ports came out, I think the more streamlined experience of Kazooie holds up better.

EDIT: Hell Tooie 360 even added more fuckin Stop 'n' Swop.

DK64 is pretty weird because it's quite literally coming apart at the seams, to the point that some walls are more of a suggestion than a barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DniqjxC80h0&t=5500s

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I started and finished the recent indie release Crossing Souls this weekend. Took maybe 8 hours or so, but even so by the end I was just moving forward to get to the credits, not because it was very enjoyable. It's a somewhat disappointing mix of a great art style with amazing detail mixed with sloppy game design. The second boss of the game is the most complex and fun one in the bunch, and while the game's core gimmick of each character having special puzzle solving abilities gives it a nice Lost Vikings vibe, the girl character's ability is only used 4 times throughout the game. Puzzles get easier as the game goes on and I felt like there were a lot of things that the game could have said about tying the story in with the what was happening to the player, but it almost feels like those were two teams who didn't communicate much. Then there were strange bugs or programming oversights, as well as the heavy, heavy reliance on 80s pop culture instead of the devs own creativity. The ending really bothered me, too, and it's bothering me ever more now that I'm thinking harder about it.

One positive thing I'll say about it (aside from the pixel art, which is really quite good) is that the game makes some brave decisions. Things I don't think I've seen in other games, and while I think it could have been handled better, I think it's interesting that it was attempted at all.

I haven't seen anyone else mention the game on the forums but if anyone had been eyeballing it in the store, I would recommend it only at a decent 30-40% discount.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

"eevee why are you staring at me so intently in this panel"
"i was wondering, what would happen if i pressed the red thing on your head"
"DON'T DO IT! A BOMB WILL DESTROY THE ENTIRE VILLAGE!"
"what, if i do this??????"

*there was no explosion and everyone was okay!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there is just something about "NOVA explodes from the snes version" being a recognizable meme that just makes me laugh every time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I didn't buy battletech in april, so its officially the may gotm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If that counts than the may GOTM is Splatoon 2 again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Honestly Splatoon 2 and UNIST came out within a month of each last year and they're still the games I play the most of...I've turned into the dreaded "multiplayer" gamer

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh jeez, monster hunter world is the game of the month again? thats nuts

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/1tuzlv.mp4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played so much of this game...i loved it

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

You know what game needs to come back? Custom Robo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I do recall the opening being the least good part. :shrug:

Just finished the lair of Spindly Armed Johnny and it was much more exciting than the first area but the game still suffers from wonky platforming and instant death gotchas. It's one of those games with a dedicated grab button, kinda like the original Tomb Raider, but modern platform design of the past decade or so has taught us to pull up from a grab you can press the dedicated jump button. Not so here, you can't shimmy and climbing up has a delay to it. If you jump while hanging off an obstacle you'll just jump off the obstacle. And sometimes you can't tell if you can actually grab onto something, like there's a chair or low horizontal obstacle you think you can climb on but nope, the character won't actually climb it.

And yeah, just bad gotchas like turning a corner and plummeting off a cliff because the camera was too slow or this bridge starts to retract and if you don't sprint RIGHT THIS SECOND you're just dead. Oddly enough the checkpoints are getting more generous which makes me think the first area was some kind of prototype that got left in the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Grabbed the humble bundle. Glad I wasn't tempted into getting those $20-ish copies of VC HD I'd seen.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Yestermoment posted:

You know what game needs to come back? Custom Robo.

That is correct.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

someone itt asked me yesterday what i thought of Space Traders: Frontiers and if it felt really early access, I think I can finally reply

while the universe is big with plenty to do it feels vaguely repetitive, the uniqueness of one dice roll vs another or one card game that is the same as another is entirely by e.g. calling one Spying and the other Patrols

despite that i have been playing for about 20 hours since buying it about 30 hours ago and haven't wanted to tear myself away for reasons i can't entirely articulate. maybe it's the lizard part of my brain that appreciates numbers going up because goddamn there are a lot of numbers in it, and the connections between the numbers are detailed well enough to give you a sense that you're still surely, if slowly, driving toward a larger task and greater things

i haven't checked but i would not be shocked to find that the devs are tablet/phone app developers either former or present, because boy does this game's interface have a lot of unnecessary clicking unless you learn a hell of a lot of hotkeys

anyway i've been playing that captain for a total of about 20 hours, the starting ship is fully upgraded, i'm the Golden Boy of my starting faction in all matters trade and political, and I just realized I'm on the "wrong" difficulty setting (oh by the way that's really adjustable) so I have to start over

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

conclusion: yeah it's early access as hell, a bunch of talents outright say "NOT YET IMPLEMENTED" like a default NYIException catch or something, some typos, the ui is doofy, it can be a little slow if you're travelling a lot, and i frankly have no idea if the plot missions are compelling or balanced or whatever because i got annoyed at the writing and ignored them, but

Star Traders colon Frontiers is my gotm for may 2018. namaste

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

That is correct.

I've heard Little Battlers Experience on the 3DS is pretty similar

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
May's Game of the Month is... Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine?!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinkin about those mean beans

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Looper posted:

I've heard Little Battlers Experience on the 3DS is pretty similar

Yeah, I played that a decent amount. The problem I had with it is that the combat was looser and didn't have as much stuff going on as custom robo, and the weapons weren't as interesting.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Thinkin about those mean beans

the beans were nice and cute, I assume the machine itself was mean

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People rudely chose April's gotm before Monster Prom even came out so it gets to be May gotm instead

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I actually like this fat cat at large a fat cat mystery book and I feel dumb because I know this is like junk food fiction but I'm gonna keep reading it because I gotta know who has been stealing cash from the bake shop's till and why the protagonist left her old city to avoid a dude who has just now shown up in this new city and seems to be spying on her and how is she going to confront the co-owner of the shop about the fact that she keeps going against the protagonist's wishes by feeding cookie bars to her fat cat which results in the fat cat not wanting to eat his diet food and take one more step closer to diabetes

and also the whole thing with her trying to clear her name from the suspect list. That part's important too. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
nothing wrong with junk food fiction. If you like a book and people tell you to read something else the correct response is "who the hell are you to decide which books are real"

Personally I'm on a Tolkien re-read rampage after discovering he had yet another posthumous publication last year. On the Turin chapter of the Silmarillion which I'm substituting by reading the Children of Hurin instead for the fuller version. I'm pretty sure the changing meaning of the word "tryst" since Tolkien wrote it (and he might have been using an archaic meaning even then) means that Beleg and Turin are lovers which honestly I'm okay with

• Locked thread