Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think the only advantage to status quo is it means your stat blocks have stuff that should be evenly matched have similar values on both scales. It’s a little archaic but it makes it a little easier to compare stat blocks at a glance. Not sure if that is worth the combat streamlining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

If you add 4 to every armour value in the game it you basically ditch the +4 in the above formula and you just gotta check if E + d6 > A or in words: Does my Energy plus the d6 exceed the Armor?

Have you tried putting this idea out there as a change for v2? Because I can't think of a reason not to go with this and would back it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The more I read the more I see an effort to evolve the use of terrain in DzC v2.

quote:

DESTROYED FEATURESWhen a Feature is destroyed during a game, its demise has the following effect/s, depending on type:

Barricades: Simply remove the Barricade from the table. There is no further effect.

Forests: Each infantry base Garrisoning it is destroyed instantly on a roll of 4+. Remove the Forest from the table. Each player may place any survivors completely inside the area once defined by the Forest on the table and in Coherency.

Structures: When a Structure is destroyed during a game, any infantry inside it are killed instantly (or are buried under a pile of rubble and will play no further part in proceedings). Infantry or vehicles on the roof are destroyed instantly.

Vehicles and infantry bases within 1” of the Structure (for Tiny, Small and Medium Structures) or 2” (for Large Structures) are destroyed instantly on a 2+. Large Vehicles (see ‘Special Unit Types’) whose main body is within this distance (but not the centre of the model) receive D3 DP on a roll of 3+.

So I'm reading this as an effort to make two new types of terrain feature common place and improve infantry survivability outside of just being inside buildings or transports. The cover rules mean that infantry gain body and soft cover while within 2" of a barricade and LOS is unaffected. I think this makes scatter terrain much more significant now as it should make actual street fighting more viable.

If forests are going to be a thing in future, it could actually make flamers more relevant. Even if they don't see much use by Infantry, the ability to remove terrain from the board mast have its uses.

That increased 2" damage radius on large structures falling and D3 DP to large units sounds like a soft counter to things like Thunderstorms 'hiding' behind buildings. I'm not sure that demo armies needed much of a boost though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

As far as I recall/knew, in the old version only the occupier of a building could send infantry to the walls if the enemy sent infantry into the same structure. So this seems new:

quote:

Infantry Units inside a Structure containing enemy Infantry which do not have Occupiers Advantage may only be allocated to fire if they pass a Fortitude Test (roll for each Unit individually). If a Unit fails, it may not be placed on a wall. If the Unit is already on a wall (from a previous turn), it must be moved back inside the Structure if the test is failed.

So, if the occupier had 2 bases in a building and I sent in 4 bases, I could now roll fortitude and try to send 2 of my bases to the walls while the other 2 CQB my opponent?

Reading on, I see the critical hits mechanic from Dropfleet is sort of being ported over to replace falling masonry rolling.

quote:

Shooting at a Structure or Forest whilst Garrisoned (Collateral Damage)

If a Structure or Forest is badly hit,the random chaos of falling masonry, trees, shrapnel and collapses might kill hapless infantry inside. Each time a Structure or Forest is damaged by a roll exceeding the amount required to inflict damage by 2 or more, an E5 hit is sustained by a Squad inside chosen at random (e.g. when a weapon needing 2+ to damage the Structure rolls a 4 or more). Being in Body Cover is ignored for this hit. Damage is dealt to the most damaged base in the Squad (or at random if equal). Units with Passive Countermeasures and/ or Dodge values may attempt to block the hit/s. If a Unit has a Dodge value and Passive Countermeasures it may take BOTH saves.

If the Structure or Forest has 10 or less DP (or has been reduced to 10 or less DP) before the shots against it are allocated, then this ‘Collateral Damage’ is inflicted if the roll required to damage is exceeded by 1 or more.

This sounds a bit cleaner and more intuitive than the old rules so that's nice.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 23, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is Destroyer supposed to replace Devastator or is it just a codification of the sunspear rule?

Also I noticed there's no Evasion rule in there, is that going away?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Is Destroyer supposed to replace Devastator or is it just a codification of the sunspear rule?

Also I noticed there's no Evasion rule in there, is that going away?

Destroyer reads like Sunspear, would be a bit odd to do away with Devastator I think.

Evasion is still in the counter measures section along with Active & Passive armour saves.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Flipswitch posted:

its a relic of the old lovely british games dave grew up with.

Specifically Epic 40K and Battlefleet Gothic. That table turned me off Dropzone and I held off on backing the Dropfleet kickstarter until I confirmed it wouldn't be there. Wargames should not have firepower tables in TYOOL 2018.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
new unit profiles are up for DzC
https://ttcombat.com/pages/dropzone-commander-resources

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hello dropfriends. I've been playing small games of dropfleet for a while and trying lists out. I'm still not really sure what I'm doing.

Below is what I have built, I've got four cruiser sprues left. I'm thinking about taking some more Seattles or San Franciscos. I'm the only UCM player in my tiny group so I've not really seen how other people play much. What would you add to this pile for a decent list building selection?

code:
Battleships
1x Beijing
1x New York
1x Tokyo

Battlecruisers
1x Atlantis
1x Avalon

Cruisers
1x Moscow
1x St Petersburg
2x Berlin 
2x Madrid 
2x Seattle
3x Saratoga
3x Athens 
2x San Francisco

Frigates
4x Toulon
6x Taipei
4x Jakarta
2x Lima
4x New Orleans

Corvettes
6x Santiago

Destroyers
3x Kiev

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

You might want a few more New Orleans at least, but with respect to cruisers, maybe one more Seattle and San Francisco like you're thinking and then one more of each heavy so you can double up on them if you want a top-heavy list? You're pretty well covered with everything so it's hard to say!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sojenus posted:

You might want a few more New Orleans at least, but with respect to cruisers, maybe one more Seattle and San Francisco like you're thinking and then one more of each heavy so you can double up on them if you want a top-heavy list? You're pretty well covered with everything so it's hard to say!

Salute was good to me. Fleet boxes for £50 and they had a big rack of all the exclusives so I picked up enough Saratogas and Athens to take a full group of each because the models own :3:

More New Orleans is also on the board, you're right. I've been kind of struggling with four even with the San Franciscos.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
There is a linked, narrative Dropfleet/zone game at Gencon this year. If anyone else is going, I am planning to play in the Friday 5PM game. I got tickets to both, for me and a buddy of mine. Probably going to roll UCM.

Fleet:
https://www.gencon.com/events/132233

Zone:
https://www.gencon.com/events/132235

There are a few other time slots as well, but you should all come play in that one!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got a question, if I wanted to build 2x Kievs, would I have a third destroyer left over in the one box? or does it use up the entire wing contents? I'm thinking of building 2x Kievs, 3x Carriers, but I can't quite remember their group options now.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You would use all the wing sections to build 2 Kievs, and be left with the centre pieces for the other classes.

I'm thinking of magnetising mine.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ah gotcha, I'll get two packs eventually then. Thanks mate.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I've been working on some 3d debris field. Does this look dense enough for dense fields.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 28, 2018

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The link doesn't work, I'm afraid.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fixed. As I said, phone posting is hard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Not bad, what happens if a ship stops in them though? I guess you can swap them out with the flat ones.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, their bases are the same size as the flat ones. I just need to figure out how to to the fine debris.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How have the new ships shaken up the game?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

E: loving phone

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

How have the new ships shaken up the game?

I haven't heard of any events since they came out and haven't bought any myself yet. So.... Not yet?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Mostly finished these a while ago, still need to do basing and lens-ify the eyes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Prototype model of the Shaltari Dreadnought up on FB from the UKGE. Can't seem to upload images to my imgur so can't share, but it's got lots of tiny dots.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Prototype model of the Shaltari Dreadnought up on FB from the UKGE. Can't seem to upload images to my imgur so can't share, but it's got lots of tiny dots.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Set phasers to drybrush.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I like it, but expected more voids. It looks very solid for a Shaltari ship. Also, probably longer than I thought it would be but until I see it next to something its hard to say.

From comments it sounds like they are aiming to show off the other 3 at gencon.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Looks decent. I'd like to see it bow-on to get an idea of how the "sheaf" of weapon decks all fit together.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Can’t wait for the UCM supercarrier :buddy:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That huge lump of resin perched atop a tiny base *twitches*

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

That huge lump of resin perched atop a tiny base *twitches*

Glue a washer to the bottom I guess?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't have any Osmium washers handy unfortunately.

Even as a temporary display base it's bothering me, but I hope they come up with a large regular DFC base for them when they're on sale.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 1, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

You could get Tungsten if you're willing to deal with Alibaba/Chinese manufacturers.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So according to some dude at UKGE posting on Facebook, dreadnoughts are coming out in August.

Also that may be when they do the kickstarter store credit (in batches).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Someone got good images of the Shaltari dreadnought at Origins, including a photo next to a Centurion. Pixel measurement gives an estimated size of 4" wide and 8" long.

Made entirely of resin.

Anybody know who to get tungsten washers from on alibaba?

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hallo! I just ended up with one of the cheapie v1.1 two-player starter boxes and the person I'd like to play with is interested in PHR, anyone have any idea where, if anywhere, to find their starter box?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DrakIris posted:

Hallo! I just ended up with one of the cheapie v1.1 two-player starter boxes and the person I'd like to play with is interested in PHR, anyone have any idea where, if anywhere, to find their starter box?

Are you in the US? If so then miniaturemarket has one.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

this seems like a decent deal if you're in the US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dropzone-Commander-PHR-starter-Army-Lot-with-Jocasta-Caine/192567709897?hash=item2cd5ee10c9:g:k4UAAOSw~BhbEO9X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Are you in the US? If so then miniaturemarket has one.

Oh cool, checked them out but their site was demanding I let a bunch of third party scripts run so I gave up, I guess I'll suck it up and pick one up