Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
MacPluMovEd seems a lot less coherent than the ova which i havent seen for a while (and love). i think they also censored the sparse nudity...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Relin posted:

MacPluMovEd seems a lot less coherent than the ova which i havent seen for a while (and love). i think they also censored the sparse nudity...?
I watched the movie a version a few months back after having not seen the OVA for a while and thought it played fine for the most part. Certainly better than Do You Remember Love? plays on its own anyways.

I don't remember any nudity being cut out. The only significant cut I noticed was the prologue bit that leads to Isamu getting fired from his old position.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Second Raid ep. 6 was good. It's nice to see Sosuke and Chidori's relationship progressing.

I like that the email at the end of the episode was in sufficiently correct English that Crunchyroll saw no need to retranslate it from the Japanese subtitles. Waiting for the Japanese subtitles to finish was a bit annoying, though.

It was maybe a little too on the nose to have that email come right after Sosuke and Chidori not only had some bonding moments, but also talked about how they don't trust Wraith, but Sosuke's reaction to it was great.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The Second Raid ep. 6 was good. It's nice to see Sosuke and Chidori's relationship progressing.

I like that the email at the end of the episode was in sufficiently correct English that Crunchyroll saw no need to retranslate it from the Japanese subtitles. Waiting for the Japanese subtitles to finish was a bit annoying, though.

It was maybe a little too on the nose to have that email come right after Sosuke and Chidori not only had some bonding moments, but also talked about how they don't trust Wraith, but Sosuke's reaction to it was great.

So now that you're definitely past that point: the book starts with Sousuke and friends in Italy. It's explained that in order for Gauron to take over the sub at the end of s1 he needed an informer on the inside, which is why they're hunting him. The entire first fourth or so of Second Raid is anime original.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
On episode 8 now. The part of episode 7 with Chidori alone in her apartment was a great creepy atmospheric bit.

Wraith is an enormous rear end in a top hat. His motivations (beyond making Sosuke miserable for kicks) aren't very clear, though. Maybe he's actually trying to guard Chidori and is just bad at it, but that seems too simple. On the other hand, it would be odd if there was a third traitor in Mithril, especially since his superiors in the Intelligence Division seem to trust him. Plus if he wanted Chidori dead, he's surely had plenty of opportunities by now, unless he's trying to get her killed without being blamed for it.

Sosuke and Tessa are both emotionally compromised but both have seemingly irrefutable points. One alternative course of action that comes to mind would be to assign Mao to guard Chidori full-time so Sosuke can pilot the Arbalest full-time without entrusting Wraith with a job he's clearly terrible at, although there are obviously problems with that approach too; Mao is too old to pose as a high school student and doesn't have Wraith's stealth and sniping skills, so she wouldn't really be able to guard Chidori during the school day, plus she's presumably an above-average mech pilot. A more radical solution: pull Sosuke and Chidori out of school and put Chidori to work using her Whispered knowledge to build more Lambda Drivers. Though Chidori (or her parents, but they aren't really characters anyway) might have reservations about that...

Kurz being pleased that Sosuke made Tessa cry is hosed up even for him, lol.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

A more radical solution: pull Sosuke and Chidori out of school and put Chidori to work using her Whispered knowledge to build more Lambda Drivers. Though Chidori (or her parents, but they aren't really characters anyway) might have reservations about that...

Nice username post combo....for an Amalgam agent.

rvm
May 6, 2013
That's it guys. I'm crying over children's commercial.

I want to hug Hodoi, come on, man it's not your fault, nothing is your fault, no-one could could do better than you man.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

Nice username post combo....for an Amalgam agent.

Lol.

Mr. Silver is actually a pretty cool villain. His behavior towards Chidori is super creepy, but he seems to be a lot more rational than Gauron and Gates.

It's funny how much worse a shot Assassin Twin becomes when she's shooting at a named character. I felt sorry for her when she got her neck snapped, although her own actions made something of the sort inevitable sooner or later.

I also read the first few chapters of FMP Sigma. Some interesting differences there. They didn't include most of the anime-original stuff in the first few eps, but they did keep the anime's change of making the twins female, and gave them terrible EGL outfits to boot. They also made the traitor an attractive young lesbian. The mangaka's fetishes aside, the main difference from the anime is how much faster everything goes. The conversation between Sosuke and Wraith is a lot shorter, for example.

Edit: More examples of Sigma playing up the creepy sexual elements: The Sigma version of the love hotel scene gives us a close-up of Chidori's underwear that allows us to see the outline of her vagina in way too much detail. Then we get Assassin Twin's internal monologue: "I'll torture the corpse and make it look like it was raped violently. I'm sure Sensei will be happy with that."

Also, the twins are apparently not Chinese in this version, which makes their mangling of Chidori's name rather odd. They're blond, their outfits have little crosses on them, and Mr. Silver addresses Assassin Twin as "Julia."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 29, 2018

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So japan discovered a giant nest of a rare metal/mineral in their waters. I mean, they have to call it sakuradite right?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Finished The Second Raid. I sometimes see people complain that The Second Raid was essentially half a story arc, with the other half not coming out until this season's Invisible Victory, but I'm not sure that's right; we got a resolution for Sosuke's main internal conflicts, all the named villains expect Mr. Silver died, and we got a big fight in the last episode (even if it wasn't very close). We even finally got a Gauron flashback, the absence of which I'd noted was the big tip-off that he wasn't actually dead at the end of the first season. (A strangely perfunctory flashback, but Zaied got the same treatment; I guess it's just how FMP does things.) Incidentally, I'll give them credit for keeping Gauron mostly-dead for all of The Second Raid; I was expecting him to return with a couple of cyborg limbs and pilot a mech again, but he actually never leaves his bed all season.

One little thing that's sort of weird is the way it feels like we're supposed to be cool with Wraith now that we know she's female, thin, and doesn't actually want Chidori dead. On one hand, basically everyone in FMP repeatedly does something that would really not be OK in real life but is treated as a joke, but Wraith pointing a sniper rifle at people in order to get a rise out of Sosuke was treated as genuinely assholish up until the end of the last episode when it suddenly became just a quirk.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kingtheninja posted:

So japan discovered a giant nest of a rare metal/mineral in their waters. I mean, they have to call it sakuradite right?

I think you mean Super Alloy Z. poo poo, even Gundarium is more appropriate than what Google tells me is a Code Geass reference.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Finished The Second Raid. I sometimes see people complain that The Second Raid was essentially half a story arc, with the other half not coming out until this season's Invisible Victory, but I'm not sure that's right; we got a resolution for Sosuke's main internal conflicts, all the named villains expect Mr. Silver died, and we got a big fight in the last episode (even if it wasn't very close). We even finally got a Gauron flashback, the absence of which I'd noted was the big tip-off that he wasn't actually dead at the end of the first season. (A strangely perfunctory flashback, but Zaied got the same treatment; I guess it's just how FMP does things.) Incidentally, I'll give them credit for keeping Gauron mostly-dead for all of The Second Raid; I was expecting him to return with a couple of cyborg limbs and pilot a mech again, but he actually never leaves his bed all season.

One little thing that's sort of weird is the way it feels like we're supposed to be cool with Wraith now that we know she's female, thin, and doesn't actually want Chidori dead. On one hand, basically everyone in FMP repeatedly does something that would really not be OK in real life but is treated as a joke, but Wraith pointing a sniper rifle at people in order to get a rise out of Sosuke was treated as genuinely assholish up until the end of the last episode when it suddenly became just a quirk.

I think the main thing people think of when they say Second Raid is incomplete is Leonard. He shows up, is insanely smug, implies he's got some big plan and then just leaves.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I read Sigma through the end of the arc covered by TSR, and it's amazing how much weaker Sigma's version is. Chidori's paranoia and Sosuke's despair just aren't given the necessary space in Sigma.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

I read Sigma through the end of the arc covered by TSR, and it's amazing how much weaker Sigma's version is. Chidori's paranoia and Sosuke's despair just aren't given the necessary space in Sigma.

I have some reservations about how Sigma handled the final arc too. Hopefully, proper execution and pacing in the anime will do the story justice.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

tsob posted:

I think you mean Super Alloy Z. poo poo, even Gundarium is more appropriate than what Google tells me is a Code Geass reference.

The reason I specifically mentioned that was the whole reason japan was invaded was over the mineral rights. But yes if it leads to actual gundams let's go.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Is the Age of Fatso upon us once more?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Is the Age of Fatso upon us once more?

Futoshi's lost both the loves of his life, Kokoro and bread. I think it's safe to assume he'll do something desperate like that, yeah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/sdshamshel/status/993173794998116352

I really hope this gets translated and, especially, adapted into anime format, it sounds so good.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've started watching the original Macross recently, and it's been pretty great. The plot moves along at a fast pace, and the mix between battles and personal drama is very well done, to the point I actually care more about the personal conflicts. Here's my other impressions so far:

- Misa just might be my favorite, what with her being the one to drive the plot forward and to be the one to figure out a way to end the war. She's just as important as Minmay is in ending the conflict.
- I'm digging how the show handles Hikaru feeling something for both Minmay and Misa and it's done in a way where it doesn't feel like he's cheating on them or anything.
- Considering how fast-paced the show is, it's a bit sad the show ran into deadline problems and ended up wasting time with two recap episodes. I was just thinking about Millia and how long it took from her boarding the Macross to her meeting with Max.
- Kakizaki and Max got introduced right around the part where there's little to no fighting so they barely had any screentime. Max's looks and piloting skills at least made him stand out, but it's not surprising that poor Kakizaki was toast.
- The fish out of water aspect with the Zentradi trio was very well done, IMO. I was actually invested in seeing those good boys survive their desertion attempt to the Macross. :3:

Finally, Kaifun is the absolute worst, and I'm not sure what the writers were going for with him. Sure he makes a good point about wanting peace but it's said by such an obnoxious creep. Misa already pointed out you two are cousins, so maybe stop creeping on Minmay! :argh:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/zoids_official/status/995135028026736640

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Brave of the Sun Fighbird - The Science One

Coming hot off the heels of Exkaiser, Fighbird is the second show in the Brave franchise. The general setup is exactly the same as Exkaisers, with evil energy beings coming to earth and space police energy beings following after them. The first major departure comes when the titular Fighbird decides to possess an android built by professor Amano of the Amano Peace Labs, rather than a vehicle. Meanwhile the villain, Draias, possesses the main computer of evil scientist Dr. Jango and his 2 henchmen possess two of Dr. Jango's androids. And so the conflict between the Space police and their human allies and Draias begins.

Right away this show averts my biggest issue with Exkaiser, the lack of scope. Draias wants to take over the world, and is perfectly willing to kill people to do it. No points for originality but the stakes are immediately higher than they ever were in Exkaiser. I also liked that Fighbird took a human form (from now on I'll refer to him as Katori Yuutarou, his human name) a lot. I mentioned in the Exkaiser post that I liked the few humanizing moments Exkaiser got a lot, and having a human form means we get a lot more of those and also that Katori gets to interact far more with the human half of the cast than Exkaiser ever did. Speaking of the human cast, I feel like it's treated differently than how it was in Exkaiser. In that show the human protagonist was very clearly as normal as possible, since he was an audience insert. The human protagonist in this show, Dr. Amano's grandson Kenta, is still an audience insert but he has a more clearly defined personality and a more active role in the show, partially due to his different circumstances. Instead of a nuclear family he spends almost all his time with his grandfather and cousin, and he actively goes on missions with Katori, usually to help evacuate people but later on in a combat role as well once they develop weaponry to fight Draias' robotic army.

The villains are less comedic than they were in Exkaiser, and though occasionally they're the butt of jokes they consistently feel threatening, though since their plans usually involve killing people it's a foregone conclusion that they'll always fail, since this is a children's show. A small thing I liked is that while in Exkaiser Dino Geist just sat back and did nothing for the first half of the show for no reason, Draias doesn't get a physical body until about episode 20 so it makes sense that he doesn't personally get involved until then. I also enjoyed that eventually the status quo meaningfully changed in ways other than the robots getting upgrades, with more people learning of the Amano family's secret and essentially joining their family.

On the robot side things are largely unchanged from Exkaiser, though one of the side teams (the Guard team, consisting of Guard star, Guard fire and Guard rescue who combine into Guardion) get a fourth member and upgraded combined form (Guard Wing and Super Guardion respectively), and the other side team (the Baron team) only consists of 1 actual character despite being a 5-robot team with the rest of them being drones. Because of this there's exactly as many robot characters as in Exkaiser despite there being nearly twice as many robots, which I find amusing. The side teams are also generally better used, with them usually serving a meaningful role either in battle or helping evacuate and save people at risk and they occasionally even land the killing blow!

Without getting too specific I want to talk about the ending. The last 4 episodes of the show are one continuous arc and it does an amazing job ramping things up for the finale. Unlike Exkaiser's final battle, which was entirely between Dino Geist and Great Exkaiser, everyone both human and robot contribute in some way to finally achieving victory over Draias and it ultimately feels very satisfying.

There are some things I didn't like as well though, most of them holdovers from Exkaiser. Some of these I felt were a bit too nitpicky to mention in the Exkaiser post but now that they've been repeated I think they're worth mentioning. First off I think it's a shame that the main character's middle upgrade (Dragon Kaiser and Granbird respectively) have their own abilities and finishers which are different from their predecessor, but the final upgrade (Great Exkaiser and Great Fighbird) are just a straight upgrade from the original, rather than being a combination of the 2 preceding robots powers. This is made worse by how in both shows the middle upgrade is around for far fewer episodes than either the first robot or the final upgrade, with Granbird only being around for 4 episodes before being replaced! Somewhat related I dislike how in both shows the original robot is taken out by destroying the vehicle it combines with before it gets the chance to combine. If it instead had been bested in combat there would have been a much better sense of escalating threat. Finally I find it a bit annoying that the villains show up for literally every fight but then manage to escape until the very end of the show.

To conclude, I greatly enjoyed Fighbird, to the point where it makes me remember Exkaiser less fondly since it's a step up in almost every way. If you are at all interested in this kind of show or enjoyed Exkaiser I would heartily recommend it.

From now on after every review I'll write a little about the Brave traditions I've noticed, and how they change. This might only be interesting to me, but i'm going to do it anyway.
The main robot's combination vehicle is damaged halfway through the show, replaced with a different one, and the 2 later combine to form the final upgrade.
There are 2 side teams, each of which can combine its robots to become one larger robot.
Every show so far has had a drill tank. This one I wasn't sure about including, since any show about robots that turn into vehicles is gonna have, for example, cars. I figured that the drill tank was kind of unique though since it's the only vehicle in both shows that isn't a real vehicle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Excellent post! I've always been curious about the earlier Brave series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sentai Filmworks is having a bluray sale that includes quite a few mecha titles:
https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/the-long-weekend-sale/

Shows on sale include Big O, Goddanar, everything Patlabor, the Gunbuster movie, the Appleseed movie.

Personally, I'm picking up the original Casshan.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

amigolupus posted:

I've started watching the original Macross recently, and it's been pretty great. The plot moves along at a fast pace, and the mix between battles and personal drama is very well done, to the point I actually care more about the personal conflicts. Here's my other impressions so far:

- Misa just might be my favorite, what with her being the one to drive the plot forward and to be the one to figure out a way to end the war. She's just as important as Minmay is in ending the conflict.
- I'm digging how the show handles Hikaru feeling something for both Minmay and Misa and it's done in a way where it doesn't feel like he's cheating on them or anything.
- Considering how fast-paced the show is, it's a bit sad the show ran into deadline problems and ended up wasting time with two recap episodes. I was just thinking about Millia and how long it took from her boarding the Macross to her meeting with Max.
- Kakizaki and Max got introduced right around the part where there's little to no fighting so they barely had any screentime. Max's looks and piloting skills at least made him stand out, but it's not surprising that poor Kakizaki was toast.
- The fish out of water aspect with the Zentradi trio was very well done, IMO. I was actually invested in seeing those good boys survive their desertion attempt to the Macross. :3:

Finally, Kaifun is the absolute worst, and I'm not sure what the writers were going for with him. Sure he makes a good point about wanting peace but it's said by such an obnoxious creep. Misa already pointed out you two are cousins, so maybe stop creeping on Minmay! :argh:

Kaifun was designed to be the most obnoxious, dislikable human being in existence.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Original Macross holds up very well for how old it is. The action scenes still look great and many of the episodes have a very interesting tension to them that you don't get with straight up simple robot fights, like that one episode where a valkyrie puts on zentradi clothes and sneaks into their ship. It is a timeless classic of the genre, IMO.

Also the writeups of old-rear end mecha anime that I will probably never get around to watching are great. Keep 'em coming, you guys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's still one of the few shows that shows an aftermath of a genocidal war, let alone have the ultimate final battle be 2/3rd of the way into the show.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It also has by far the best recap episode in anime history.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

It also has by far the best recap episode in anime history.
Yeah its a super clever reuse of animation. Really reminds me of the TV ending of Evangelion.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

http://mechamericagreatagain.com

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I hate this url

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

I hate this url

It's a poo poo URL. Devolver are idiots.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Poe's Law in full effect.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
It's a game in which the manly alpha POTUS, finding himself betrayed by his own administration and slandered by a hostile media, personally blows up Washington and destroys the traitors (including Our Troops who are insufficiently loyal to him personally) who come after him, to the rapturous applause of Real Americans. Trump is cosplaying this game 24/7, it's impossible not to make that kind of connection. This game will still be best played drunk, but now for a different reason than previously.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a poo poo URL. Devolver are idiots.

It's a fine URL. The phrase "(Let's) Make American Great Again" has existed for decades before Trump, used by both republicans and democrats, and will be used again in a decade or two by someone with no real ties to him beyond perhaps being in the same nominal party. The original game used "Mech America Great Again" as a parody of the phrase too. That it now has more cultural baggage than it had a decade ago when the game launched doesn't besmirch the phrase really; it's just a phrase. Devolver are almost certainly leaning in to it since outrage tends to increase sales, but I really can't see why there'd be a problem with the phrase given it's history.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the game was made with Bush Jr and Dick Cheney analogues in mind but sure, justify a bad marketing decision

e: another post happened in the meantime, oops

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

the game was made with Bush Jr and Dick Cheney analogues in mind but sure, justify a bad marketing decision

e: another post happened in the meantime, oops

As in, the same marketing decision the game originally had? And which will probably drive sales precisely because some people are upset that a phrase the game always had is being used in a re-release of the game? Yea, not really seeing how that's a bad decision honestly.

Edit: Didn't see your edit until I'd posted. Never mind I guess.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tsob posted:

As in, the same marketing decision the game originally had? And which will probably drive sales precisely because some people are upset that a phrase the game always had is being used in a re-release of the game? Yea, not really seeing how that's a bad decision honestly.

it's probably worth reevaluating your marketing when bringing a game stateside for the first time, in a wildly different political climate. controversy marketing is also dumb.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

it's probably worth reevaluating your marketing when bringing a game stateside for the first time, in a wildly different political climate. controversy marketing is also dumb.

It's not really dumb when it works a lot of the time. Not always mind, since it doesn't appear to have helped drive comic sales for Marvel for instance, but in general it does seem to work. Aggravating sure, but I don't really think it's dumb. Especially when trying to give more attention to a niche title that's a decade old. Anything that'll get it attention is probably good in their eyes. Sure, some people will turn away from it; but a lot more people will probably pay attention that would previously never have known or cared because the controversy puts it on their radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean whether or not it works is not even on the table as far as i was concerned. it's a dumb tactic that shouldn't be used by people who have integrity. this is a minor incidence of it but i'm fine with people calling it out.