Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of the balance is that you keep your inventory if you die but you lose supply score or whatever it is, with way too much in the negatives making the ship regard the mission as a 'failure' which i think means you maybe can't qualify for the endstate anymore or something. i think it takes quite a lot of deaths with nothing in the meanwhile to boost your score for you to reach that point, though. if keepinventory isn't on then that's definitely a bug or some kind of weird server interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
sevtech question: what is the alternate method to unlock advanced mapping the iron apple quest mentions and/or how do i get cheats on so i can cheat in a ring of ascent, because after getting hosed over by a bunch of betweenlands dungeons i'm about ready to say "gently caress this" and move on without it for now

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

modern skyblock 3 again - i'm at the thermal expansion level, finally. powered through IE without ducts, and ran through the pointless shitshow that is Embers. now, for some reason, i can't craft filters, retrievers and servos

they're not showing as "unknown items", they just straight up have no recipe or utility in JEI. is this expected behaviour for this modpack?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

modern skyblock 3 again - i'm at the thermal expansion level, finally. powered through IE without ducts, and ran through the pointless shitshow that is Embers. now, for some reason, i can't craft filters, retrievers and servos

they're not showing as "unknown items", they just straight up have no recipe or utility in JEI. is this expected behaviour for this modpack?

yes, thermal expansion has two stages, you don't get ducts until the second one

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao yep gonna console my way through that

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It's heinous how late you get any form of item transportation beyond hoppers, in a skyblock.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no it's cool after twenty hours or so i got access to factory tech and embers my options are literally limitless

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

it could be worse, you could be smelting iron ore into a single nugget instead of an ingot until you've got an IE crusher

the grind in Crimson Skies is pretty brutal but now i guess i can octodecuple my metal output

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

President Ark posted:

sevtech question: what is the alternate method to unlock advanced mapping the iron apple quest mentions and/or how do i get cheats on so i can cheat in a ring of ascent, because after getting hosed over by a bunch of betweenlands dungeons i'm about ready to say "gently caress this" and move on without it for now
Reach Stage 4 (I think?). It unlocks it for free. You can get away with using the antique atlas till then.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

it still baffles me that there is a quest in sevtech to turn off step assist

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

"you won't be traveling as much!" it says immediately before you reach the stage where you have to find a bunch of biomes and do like 75% of twilight forest

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kind of wonder if one could just make a modpack that mimics the horrible for-profit servers of yesteryear that started you some room and made you mine out a gajillion blocks to get the stone pick upgrade or whatever... unless you just paid the server to get it. Except with the modpack, you don't get to pay the server. You just have to do it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Step Assist Auto Jump is the worst thing. Why couldn't Mojang have implemented it the way Thaumcraft did with the Boots of the Traveller?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I kind of wonder if one could just make a modpack that mimics the horrible for-profit servers of yesteryear that started you some room and made you mine out a gajillion blocks to get the stone pick upgrade or whatever... unless you just paid the server to get it. Except with the modpack, you don't get to pay the server. You just have to do it.

I believe that if you made a map as needlessly grindy as possible, there would be minecraft nerds who would hail you as a god.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Weren't those the 'prison' servers? I saw a load of them when browsing servers and they all sounded like a whole load of busywork.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

the horrible for-profit servers of yesteryear

I remember a creative freebuild server that some friends and I hung out on occasionally years ago until it decided to go all-in on trying to make money so instead of being creative freebuild it was "you're in survival mode, there are infinite chests of every block at spawn (and you have commands to teleport there and back) OR you can just pay us real money for creative mode"

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So I tried playing that lost souls modpack again, not sure why but half the quests refuse to complete, googling revealed a workaround is to edit the quest tasks so I went with that. At least up until I was looking through the questbook when something green with a slimy texture seemed to attach itself to my head, obscuring my view before it blew up and destroyed half the ship.

Doors were closed, no openings to the outside and didn't actually see what it was except it didn't look like a creeper and only did a few hearts of damage, though I did have Blast Protection 1 on an iron chest and BP2 on iron legs. Is this some kind of new teleporting mob or some anti-cheat punishment in a modpack with broken quests?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Verizian posted:

So I tried playing that lost souls modpack again, not sure why but half the quests refuse to complete, googling revealed a workaround is to edit the quest tasks so I went with that. At least up until I was looking through the questbook when something green with a slimy texture seemed to attach itself to my head, obscuring my view before it blew up and destroyed half the ship.

Doors were closed, no openings to the outside and didn't actually see what it was except it didn't look like a creeper and only did a few hearts of damage, though I did have Blast Protection 1 on an iron chest and BP2 on iron legs. Is this some kind of new teleporting mob or some anti-cheat punishment in a modpack with broken quests?

I haven't seen or even heard of that type of mob, but it shouldn't be an anti-cheat thing because I've done the work around for plenty of quests with no issues on that front. Now my last world is messed up and refuses to load after I went to the overworld (not the first trip), so I'm waiting on another patch before I even bother again. Also the last release breaks the better with mods siding custom recipes (e.g. wood casing, chest that uses 8 sidings).

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Looks like PO3 isn't a million miles off being done

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectozone2/comments/8hnnjs/answering_po3_questions/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Frankly at this point a skyblock pack is gonna need to have some sort of really good hook or gimmick to stand out. There have just been so many that "a regular but well made skyblock" doesn't stand out as much.
Or, you know, maybe the fact that I've played multiple skyblocks in the past few months isn't a reflection of the average player.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why can't we just have a "the constant-daytime world is made of slabs" skyblock so that we don't need to gently caress around constructing large platforms or making sure there's torches everywhere

fighting for space is not fun to me. fighting for resources is the fun bit

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A superflat world seems like it'd be a fun "skyblock" setting. Or hell, a normal world but every block is dirt/cobble/something not valuable. Would allow you to still find some interesting terrain to build into.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

A superflat world seems like it'd be a fun "skyblock" setting. Or hell, a normal world but every block is dirt/cobble/something not valuable. Would allow you to still find some interesting terrain to build into.

So, Regrowth? :v: That Exoria pack is looking like it'll end up being this, too, more or less.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

PO2 had the dirt Skylands and the superflat snow one so hopefully those will be options in PO3

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So, Regrowth? :v: That Exoria pack is looking like it'll end up being this, too, more or less.

regrowth was great, but, well, mariculture and a g r i c r a f t

tech regrowth would be good. hell, just MSB3 with regrowth worldgen

President Ark
May 16, 2010

sevtech got an update and among the updates they made the one betweenlands thing required for the iron apple a lot more common

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

they also removed extraplanets radiation, hail satan

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

President Ark posted:

sevtech got an update and among the updates they made the one betweenlands thing required for the iron apple a lot more common

Which sevtech is everyone playing?

I see the following
Sevtech ages latest
Sevtech 3.06 from curseforge
Sevtech ages
Sevtech ages kind of
Sevtech 1.12
Sevtech Custom

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheresaJayne posted:

Which sevtech is everyone playing?

I see the following
Sevtech ages latest
Sevtech 3.06 from curseforge
Sevtech ages
Sevtech ages kind of
Sevtech 1.12
Sevtech Custom

The twitch launcher is always going to be the best location, though caches may take a little while for it to realize a new version is out. Reloading twitch may help with that.

SevTech: Ages - 3.0.7 (Release) is the latest version I see on Twitch

1.12 refers to the version of Minecraft that the Sevtech Ages modpack is built on

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

so I've been working on updating an old farming/cooking mod I used for 1.12.2, and I've run into an issue that doesn't seem like anyone else has had or tried to get an answer to - is there a way to use the JSON recipes to have recipes with dynamic input and output? specifically, I want to be able to input any mod-introduced crop and the recipe output its seed. Eventually the goal would be for output food to be named based on its ingredients, but that's way down the road. Right now I'm handling it programmatically like this:
code:
	public Veggie(final String name, final ItemVeggieRaw raw, final ItemVeggieSeed seed, final BlockVeggieCrop crop, final BlockVeggieWild wild) {
		this.name = name;
		this.raw = raw;
		this.seed = seed;
		this.crop = crop;
		this.wild = wild;

this.crop.setDrops(raw, seed);
		this.wild.setDrops(raw, seed);
		vegMap.put(name, this);

GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(seed, 2), new Ingredient(raw)); // TODO fix this
	}
it works, but I'm worried they're gonna get rid of addShapelessRecipe() down the road and make me have individual recipes for each item, and like hell am I doing that. i'd love to just have a single JSON recipe that just grabs the input and output from a factory or something but I'm not very well-versed in factories so I've kinda muddled at it and not gotten very far.

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 10, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

soon

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

dang getting starlight is the easy part too, make those spectral relay duders and put one at each cardinal direction of the altar

also put it at y-level 120+ and in the blue sparkle field that you see with a fosic resonator

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
For mine I found a star light area about 10 chunks away from my house, and built 4 relays and that's been enough for me so far. Didn't put the altar up high because it looked weird floating up there.
I just wish AS didn't take up so much space, everything is huge.

Was any way to make backups added to the latest Sevtech version like they were talking about doing, I've just been doing manual backups but it's annoying. Or is there an easy mod I can add for that?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You may not be able to make them yet but one decent enhanced collector crystal will pretty much max out your altar, even in its late stages.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Depends posted:

Was any way to make backups added to the latest Sevtech version like they were talking about doing, I've just been doing manual backups but it's annoying. Or is there an easy mod I can add for that?

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/aromabackup

I dunno why it isn't standard.

Vib Rib posted:

You may not be able to make them yet but one decent enhanced collector crystal will pretty much max out your altar, even in its late stages.

Yeah, on my Crimson Skies map, a 900/100/100 celestial collector crystal pegs the starlight meter of my Iridescent Altar, even at high noon.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The owner of a server I play in found out something.. kinda important to know about Refined Storage a couple of days ago: it turns out the contents of all RS blocks on a server, the crafters and disk drives, are stored in a single external file. And if that file is corrupted in a crash or something, everyone using RS loses all their stuff unless it specifically is backed up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

The owner of a server I play in found out something.. kinda important to know about Refined Storage a couple of days ago: it turns out the contents of all RS blocks on a server, the crafters and disk drives, are stored in a single external file. And if that file is corrupted in a crash or something, everyone using RS loses all their stuff unless it specifically is backed up.

It should be in the save directory at least. What server doesn't back up the entire save directory?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Syndlig posted:

so I've been working on updating an old farming/cooking mod I used for 1.12.2, and I've run into an issue that doesn't seem like anyone else has had or tried to get an answer to - is there a way to use the JSON recipes to have recipes with dynamic input and output? specifically, I want to be able to input any mod-introduced crop and the recipe output its seed. Eventually the goal would be for output food to be named based on its ingredients, but that's way down the road. Right now I'm handling it programmatically like this:
code:
	public Veggie(final String name, final ItemVeggieRaw raw, final ItemVeggieSeed seed, final BlockVeggieCrop crop, final BlockVeggieWild wild) {
		this.name = name;
		this.raw = raw;
		this.seed = seed;
		this.crop = crop;
		this.wild = wild;

this.crop.setDrops(raw, seed);
		this.wild.setDrops(raw, seed);
		vegMap.put(name, this);

GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(seed, 2), new Ingredient(raw)); // TODO fix this
	}
it works, but I'm worried they're gonna get rid of addShapelessRecipe() down the road and make me have individual recipes for each item, and like hell am I doing that. i'd love to just have a single JSON recipe that just grabs the input and output from a factory or something but I'm not very well-versed in factories so I've kinda muddled at it and not gotten very far.

I would use CraftTweaker for this instead of whatever JSON based recipe thing you're using. Check out the documentation - it supports proper scripting so you should be able to do the thing you want to do.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

It should be in the save directory at least. What server doesn't back up the entire save directory?

Er I meant, unless it's specifically restored from backup. It's being backed up on the server, but nobody realised it was corrupted, or even that it existed at all, until people started logging in and complaining their RS stuff was all gone, one after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

dang getting starlight is the easy part too, make those spectral relay duders and put one at each cardinal direction of the altar

also put it at y-level 120+ and in the blue sparkle field that you see with a fosic resonator

i mean, when i took that screenshot the only reason i hadn't made the thing yet was that it was daytime