Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Name four things that America isn’t good at. Just try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's a "no dog in this fight" joke to be made here, but I've had a really long day and am in a bad mood so just pretend I made a good one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

We're not very good at losing world wars.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We are also not good at not being the best

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

oldpainless posted:

1.) Land wars in Asia

2.) Public transportation

3.) Infant mortality

4.) Curing your mom's super STDs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

1.) Land wars in Asia

2.) Public transportation

3.) Infant mortality

4.) Curing your mom's super STDs

That's rough because this dumb country just cured Hep C but I guess she might have gonorrhea 8

I don't like to speculate but I heard you get it from lady sex and well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1VTB-OvDw

Put 'em up against the wall

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

oldpainless posted:

1.) economic equality

2.) sensible drawing of congressional districts

3.) not murdering innocent brown people (domestically)

4.) not murdering innocent brown people (internationally)

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

1) cricket
2) talking quietly
3) soccer
4) units of measurement

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

5) electing presidents

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
K is superior to both F and C; the best date format convention is YMD à la ISO 8601

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
farenheit is fine because 69 is like the perfect temperature, jeans, sure, shorts, fine too. sandles, go for it, shoes? that works too.

it's the perfect temp.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Plinkey posted:

farenheit is fine because 69 is like the perfect temperature, jeans, sure, shorts, fine too. sandles, go for it, shoes? that works too.

it's the perfect temp.

"It's a really niiiiice day outside."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone_Fragger posted:

Are you a time traveller from the 1850s, we have a thing called "the decimal point" now my dude. Granularity and precision arguments are a moot point in the face of such a terrifying point.

In a frictionless vacuum, sure, but units do matter in the real world. Acre-feet is a weird as gently caress unit of volume, except it's actually useful for things. You've got 30 acres that need 6 inches of water per growing season? 15 acre-feet. Yeah, you can express that as 1.85e+7 liters, but that means more math, more steps, and more chances for error.

Fahrenheit conveys more information more concisely. "How's the weather today?" "In the 70s." vs. "Hmm it's gonna vary from 21.11-26.11 C."

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Month first is actually best because it narrows things down to the smallest possible chunk of consecutive days. Day first? Congratulations, you have 12 possible days spread over an entire year! (Bee boop I am a database search)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Dates go year-month-day so that when they prefix a file they sort nicely by date. Also because that's sufficiently unambiguous when I'm sending emails to an international audience.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fly Molo posted:

In a frictionless vacuum, sure, but units do matter in the real world. Acre-feet is a weird as gently caress unit of volume, except it's actually useful for things. You've got 30 acres that need 6 inches of water per growing season? 15 acre-feet. Yeah, you can express that as 1.85e+7 liters, but that means more math, more steps, and more chances for error.

Fahrenheit conveys more information more concisely. "How's the weather today?" "In the 70s." vs. "Hmm it's gonna vary from 21.11-26.11 C."

Low 20s.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
the correct date format is YYYYMMDD so that it sorts by name properly you primitive screwheads

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Month first is actually best because it narrows things down to the smallest possible chunk of consecutive days. Day first? Congratulations, you have 12 possible days spread over an entire year! (Bee boop I am a database search)

get better indexes

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Imagine if data sizes were measured in a system like the imperial system instead of a system like the metric system. Everything would be measured in floppies, CDs, and DVDs. "But it's better for everyday use."

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

AtomD posted:

Imagine if data sizes were measured in a system like the imperial system instead of a system like the metric system. Everything would be measured in floppies, CDs, and DVDs. "But it's better for everyday use."

You do realize that MB can be defined as 2^20 Bytes or as 1 Million Bytes and that those are different numbers?

I'm sorry sales people have ruined your perfect aspie unit of measurement. All units of measurement are arbitrary and defined by humans to communicate measurements to other humans.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
number of bits are pretty hard and fast

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everyone in the world used inconsistent bullshit like the king's hands or a frog's leg until French revolutionary autists came along, and it worked just fine. The American system is a quaint throwback to that, nothing wrong with that. I mean, everyone should still make fun of them, but it doesn't seem to handicap them too much.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
holy poo poo no one cares

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Fly Molo posted:

You do this in science too. Crossectional areas can be described in barns, for example. Often done by absorbing constants into measurements. Picking good units to fit a given problem makes it easier to discuss and understand.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love that there are Americans in this thread who apparently think the rest of the world has no idea what a given temperature in Celsius means just because they don't. I also laugh heartily at the Americans who think that temperatures below 0 F are rare and not just most of winter, like they frequently are here.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

RoboRodent posted:

I also laugh heartily at the Americans who think that temperatures above 100 F are rare and not just most of summer, like they frequently are here.

Fixed for Australia.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

pyf unit of measurtement

the milihelen

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I don't see why I would take advice on units of measurement from savages who still practices circumcision

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I personally use YMD in most cases if I can help it because it sorts better but I can understand the draw of MDY. In normal speech, people typically say "May seventh," not "The seventh of May," so MDY follows normal casual speech patterns better.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'll take "circular logic" for 500, Alex.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

punchymcpunch posted:

pyf unit of measurtement

the milihelen

Smoot or gtfo

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

1) knowing the earth isn't 6000 years old
2) knowing the earth revolves around the sun
3) not marrying your cousin or sister
4) not mutilating baby genitals

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dillbag posted:

the correct date format is YYTTMMDD

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

60s: Wear a sweater or light jacket.

50s: Wear a heavier jacket, maybe bring some gloves or a scarf in case the wind picks up.

40s: Wear gloves and a scarf whether or not it's windy. Possibility of sleet.

30s: Definitely winter. Possible snow. It starts hurting when the wind picks up.

20s: Only spend as little time as possible outside.

10s: Your dick would freeze off if it wasn't for your pants.

0 and below: Your dick will freeze off regardless of pants.

everybody laugh at this weak rear end baby, probably from florida

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think the people saying the increased granularity of Fahrenheit is useful are greatly overstating their case.

I don't think I'd ever bother to change my heater by an increment of fewer than 2 degrees Celcius.

Small factors in the environment, like a door being opened or a change in the weather outside, are going to cause greater variances than one degree Fahrenheit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pakled posted:

I personally use YMD in most cases if I can help it because it sorts better but I can understand the draw of MDY. In normal speech, people typically say "May seventh," not "The seventh of May," so MDY follows normal casual speech patterns better.
You can use whatever you want in speech or informal writing, but if you're putting dates into any system that needs to be machine-sortable, you should use yyyy-mm-dd or yyyymmdd. In informal writing you should spell out the name of the month, which is both better writing practice and makes it unambigous.

e: A system can obviously display the date however the user wants, but I see way too many systems that use MDY or even DMY internally which makes me want to murder the programmer.

punchymcpunch posted:

pyf unit of measurtement

the milihelen
I'm fond of the attoparsec per microfortnight unit of speed.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 08:57 on May 7, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Guy Goodbody posted:

All y'all thinking Celsius is better because you're European and you grew up using it, or because you know that Metric is better than Imperial so you assume the same must be true for the temperature scales. But it's not! Expand your mind! set aside your preconceptions and you will inevitably agree with me as you always should.

All y'all thinking Fahrenheit is better because you're from America and you grew up using it, or because you assume that bigger numbers are better. But it's not! Expand your mind! set aside your preconceptions and you will inevitably agree with me as you always should.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

punchymcpunch posted:

pyf unit of measurtement

the milihelen

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A mega-Hitler is a unit of measure, specifically: 6 trillion people murdered.

Committing 6,000 murders is a milli-Hitler and murdering 6 people is a micro-Hitler . Murdering one person is 1/6 of a micro-Hitler or 166.666 nano-Hitlers.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

punchymcpunch posted:

pyf unit of measurtement

megafonzies per cubic beard-second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)