Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://i.imgur.com/PhXauOX.mp4

Are these the zipline goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

[/url]https://i.imgur.com/PhXauOX.mp4[/url]

Are these the zipline goons

Unlikely, there wasn't enough angle on that zipline to splatter the child on the tree.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fissure 10 (green triangle) is new this morning, the steady march southwest continues. The green/yellow diagonal zone is "if you had a house here you now have scabby black rock instead". Really poo poo situation for everyone involved.

The thing is as well, there's not really any way of telling how long this is going to go for. It's not like a hurricane or flood where it happens, then you can get back in and clean up. It starts happening, everyone gets evacuated, then you just get to watch as The FloorWorld is Lava creeps over everything you own.

Oh and while we're at it, there's an island in Vanuatu with a population of ~10,000 that is considering a total, permanent evacuation. Volcanic ash is killing their crops and poisoning their water supply.

Edit: here's a new twist on the Leilani Estates eruptions I wasn't aware of until just now. There's a continuous deformation of the area south of the East Rift Zone called the Hilina Slump. A 20,000km³ section of the southern flank of the Kilauea Volcano that is slowly displacing to the south at about 10cm/year. This means it's a little loose in there. This means that continued uplift from the rising magma, combined with the seismic events associated with this new eruption could drop the whole thing into the Pacific Ocean in under a minute.

This is an absolute worst-case doomsday scenario, but we could be talking a wave more than 500m tall being blasted out faster than the speed of sound at the west coast of North and South America. ~5 hours travel time to LA and Baja California, ~10 to Central America (where it wouldn't be too bad on account of striking obliquely), 11-12 to hit Colombia and Ecuador, where it would gently caress poo poo up. The probable angle of an event like this would mean that it probably wouldn't hit further north than San Francisco, and by the time it hit Chile it probably would have dissipated enough to only cause localised damage to boats and foreshore areas. LA, San Diego, Baja California, Colombia and Ecuador would catch it the worst.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 7, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quite a bummer if you built a house there betting that it wouldn't happen in your lifetime.

Memento posted:

Oh and while we're at it, there's an island in Vanuatu with a population of ~10,000 that is considering a total, permanent evacuation. Volcanic ash is killing their crops and poisoning their water supply.

The total population of Vanuatu in 2016 was 270,000. 10k is a considerable portion of their population to have to relocate. Looks like a pretty awesome place to retire (well, except for volcano death island).

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Is there any way they can safely trigger a smaller scale collapse? Similar to how you trigger avalanches in the mountains, perhaps?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bunni-kat posted:

Is there any way they can safely trigger a smaller scale collapse? Similar to how you trigger avalanches in the mountains, perhaps?

The thing with avalanches is that you're just taking off a layer on the surface. With the Hilina Slump, you'd actually be detaching a significant portion of the mountain, that has its biggest weak point at the interface between the new volcanic sediments and the older basement rock (which is also volcanic sediments, just a lot older). It would probably all fall off at once because it's essentially one large piece. The last time this happened was 1975, when a 7.4-magnitude quake caused the Slump to move a bit under 4 meters, and caused a tsunami that was detected as far away as Alaska.

I just skimmed a few papers about it and it looks like there are submarine buildups that are buttressing the potential slump area somewhat, increasing the energy needed to get it to start moving. So again, this is very unlikely to happen, an absolute doomsday scenario. But that's what this thread is for!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Can we still try? :science: nuke this gay earth!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You propose using a nuclear weapon to stop an oil spill ONCE and from then on you're "the nuke guy."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The problem is that the lava wants out and is succeeding. You really don’t want to help it along.

Hawai‘i is a weak spot in Earth’s crust. Anything you could try to do to release the pressure would just make it weaker.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is a thought experiment I came up with* to run with some 2nd year geoscience students who had just had a semester of igneous petrology and volcanism. "Why can't we drill into the side of a volcano to let the pressure out so that instead of a catastrophic eruption, we get a controlled release of pressure?"

The answer I wanted them to come with was "because releasing the pressure on a magma chamber is like opening a bottle of fizzy drink that has been shaken up - when you release the pressure, all of the volatiles exsolve out at once and instead of an eruption, you get an explosion". It's what caused Mount St. Helens to blow its top like it did - there was an inflation of the magma chamber that caused half a hillside to fall off, and once that happened there wasn't enough confining pressure to keep the volatile gases dissolved in the magma so they all boiled out at once.

*I'm sure I'm not the only one to come up with it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So did they come up with the correct answer or are they drilling into a volcano right now under false pretenses?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
My geology knowledge is lacking, I didn’t realize there were significant dissolved gasses in magma.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bunni-kat posted:

My geology knowledge is lacking, I didn’t realize there were significant dissolved gasses in magma.

There wasnt, until these guys pulled off their experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5Qm2A0bO8

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Bunni-kat posted:

Yeah its basically like a carbonated beverage, the pressure underground forces the gasses in which are released in the much lower pressure at the surface

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tangy yet delightful posted:

So did they come up with the correct answer or are they drilling into a volcano right now under false pretenses?

I've run it twice. The first lot I ran it with came up with the answer pretty quickly, the second lot were convinced they could pattern-drill a mountainside to direct lava flows out to the ocean on my theoretical volcano - it had an ocean on one side and a city on the other. I told them at the end of it that they caused an explosive eruption that wiped out their research party and caused thousands of deaths in the city. It was also a good lesson in making sure everyone gets their say in a collaborative scientific effort, because after I told them how badly they had messed up one kid yelled out "I told you idiots you were doomed!".

Bunni-kat posted:

A lot of it is water but there's carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, hydrogen halides (strong acids) all found to varying concentrations in magma.

Fun fact about hydrogen sulphide: you can smell it at like 100 parts per billion as a strong rotten egg smell. At around 10 parts per million, it becomes so strong that it anesthetises your sense of smell. So if you smell vile rotten egg smell, and then all of a sudden it goes away, you should also go away to someplace far away.

Memento fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 7, 2018

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its usually a more than 10 ppm that h2s starta to gently caress with your senses, the assessed idlh concentration is 100ppm because thats when its supposed to kill your nose but it does all sorts of bad things at lower exposures depending on duration. cool thing about it is even if you survive a high dose dropping you instantly unconscious somehow your blood pressure will be hosed for the rest of your life, ditto for long term low doses.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Synthbuttrange posted:

There wasnt, until these guys pulled off their experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5Qm2A0bO8

"What the gently caress have you done?!?" is one of the great questions of science.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But nothing outshines the true eureka phrase of "Huh, that's weird"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

This is a thought experiment I came up with* to run with some 2nd year geoscience students who had just had a semester of igneous petrology and volcanism. "Why can't we drill into the side of a volcano to let the pressure out so that instead of a catastrophic eruption, we get a controlled release of pressure?"

The answer I wanted them to come with was "because releasing the pressure on a magma chamber is like opening a bottle of fizzy drink that has been shaken up - when you release the pressure, all of the volatiles exsolve out at once and instead of an eruption, you get an explosion". It's what caused Mount St. Helens to blow its top like it did - there was an inflation of the magma chamber that caused half a hillside to fall off, and once that happened there wasn't enough confining pressure to keep the volatile gases dissolved in the magma so they all boiled out at once.

*I'm sure I'm not the only one to come up with it

Use a valve to release the pressure slowly. Done.

Material selection and construction process is an engineering issue and thus beyond the scope of this paper.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I thought the idea was to release the pressure BEFORE it rises to dangerous levels.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Fun fact about hydrogen sulphide: you can smell it at like 100 parts per billion as a strong rotten egg smell. At around 10 parts per million, it becomes so strong that it anesthetises your sense of smell. So if you smell vile rotten egg smell, and then all of a sudden it goes away, you should also go away to someplace far away.
How can I differentiate between this situation and one where a fart dissipates?

I was just reading Flying Upside Down and got to this page just now!

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
The Kilauea lava lake drained down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA7pM6L-5-U

This is about 11 miles from Pu'u O'o. I guess its got to go somewhere.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you hear something buzzing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karate Bastard posted:

WARNING

HIVE OLTAGE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

WARNING

HIVE OLTAGE

When we touch! When we kiss!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When we touch! When we kiss!

Danger! Danger!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

#1 REASON WHY I HATE loving WEEP HOLES!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

#1 REASON WHY I HATE loving WEEP HOLES!

This is why I make my own magnetic fly wire screens and stick it over those drat things.

Same with wall vents (but with plaster). I don't have any open fires in the house and don't care for every living thing in my walls to have direct access to the interior of my house.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

how is lava 'cleaned up', if at all

do they just say gently caress it and leave it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s rock, you can build on top of it like any other rock once it cools right?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Karate Bastard posted:

A friend and myself were cutting up a huge, fallen, Beech tree with a massive 2 cylinder chainsaw that had handlebars on the tip side for the second guy. I think the bar length was 72 inches or something. Anyway, I was the guy on the handlebars, and as we cut down through the trunk, I began to get spattered with what I thought was chain oil, so I yelled to the guy running the engine side to cool it on the oil trigger. When we cut through the section, the tree was hollow, and inside there was a huge bee hive. I mean, combs of honey nearly 5 feet long. What I thought was chain oil was actually honey. It was cold that day, so the bees would fly out away from the hive for about 5 feet and then just drop. Yep, I did take a couple of the combs home with me, and yep, it was great honey -- as long as you could get past the bee parts in it.

E: Holy poo poo, it was this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPC6znBYuTE

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 7, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s rock, you can build on top of it like any other rock once it cools right?

There's a tendency for it to be porous and uneven.

Oh, poo poo, that's why pumice is porous.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Snoo posted:

how is lava 'cleaned up', if at all

do they just say gently caress it and leave it

Turns into a foot scrubber mine.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ol' Musky is at it again:
Elon Musk’s SpaceX is using a powerful rocket technology. NASA advisers say it could put lives at risk.

quote:

When Elon Musk and his team at SpaceX were looking to make their Falcon 9 rocket even more powerful, they came up with a creative idea — keep the propellant at super-cold temperatures to shrink its size, allowing them to pack more of it into the tanks.

But the approach comes with a major risk, according to some safety experts. At those extreme temperatures, the propellant would need to be loaded just before takeoff — while astronauts are aboard. An accident, or a spark, during this maneuver, known as “load-and-go,” could set off an explosion.

The proposal has raised alarms for members of Congress and NASA safety advisers as the agency and SpaceX prepare to launch humans into orbit as early as this year. One watchdog group labeled load-and-go a “potential safety risk.” A NASA advisory group warned in a letter that the method was “contrary to booster safety criteria that has been in place for over 50 years.”

Concerns at NASA over the astronauts’ safety hit a high point when, in September 2016, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket blew up while it was being fueled ahead of an engine test. No one was hurt, but the payload, a multimillion-dollar satellite, was lost. The question on many people’s minds at NASA instantly became: What if astronauts were on board?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How’s SpaceX’s proportionate safety record compared to NASA? They’re still pretty new to this and I think NASA blew up a ton of stuff in their early days.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

How’s SpaceX’s proportionate safety record compared to NASA? They’re still pretty new to this and I think NASA blew up a ton of stuff in their early days.

There's a good summary for SpaceX here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/would-you-fly-in-a-spacex-rocket_us_58e514b7e4b02c1f7234591d

NASA did blow up a good amount of stuff, so when NASA says, "Guys, this is a bad idea, poo poo's gonna blow up" one would hope SpaceX would listen.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

NASA didn't really listen to themselves, so why would anyone else do it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I don't think cold RP-1 would be any more dangerous than liquid Hydrogen?